Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How do I re-install Ubuntu on a dual boot laptop?

  1. #1


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8

    How do I re-install Ubuntu on a dual boot laptop?


    I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8 running on my laptop in Dual boot. Now I want to re-install Ubuntu without affecting Windows 8 partition. Please help me with it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    You don't even need to "Dual Boot"

    Have a read of my threads about creating a PORTABLE system -- Written for Open SUSE-- am now using using Linux Mint - the same works for UBUNTU / DEBIAN .

    The main trick is to ensure that GRUB is written to the device you install Linux on and not the MBR of the ist hard disk (usually /dev/sda).

    Note also if you have a UEFI system then it gets a bit more complex but the same should work.

    How to make Portable Windows system (any version)

    It also explains if you hose up the boot windows mechanism on how to fix it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 146
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by maddyn73 View Post
    I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8 running on my laptop in Dual boot. Now I want to re-install Ubuntu without affecting Windows 8 partition. Please help me with it.
    You Need to run a Virtual Machine to dual boot.
    Windows 8.1 has it inbuilt....VmWare do a free one...see link below for info.
    Any problems with Grub can be sorted using the free Easybcd software.

    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...64507335,d.ZG4
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    India
    Posts : 172
    Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1


    did u install linux in a seperate hard drive partiotion or both on the same one?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by sri2000 View Post
    did u install linux in a seperate hard drive partiotion or both on the same one?

    Yes. Both are on the same hard drive.This is how I installed it the first time.
    1. Installed windows 8 first
    2. Kept aside a 10 GB of unallocated space for Linux installation via disk management option
    3. Installed Ubuntu Linux onto that 10 GB unallocated space.

    From what I understand , when I turn on the laptop , the grub list comes up (replacing windows bootloader), with windows 8 in that list.
    Now If I delete that 10 GB partition using GPART software, I know that next time when I turn on the laptop, I wont be seeing the grub list anymore and also that I wont be able to boot into windows 8 as well.

    I would be glad if someone could help me restore back the bootloader so that I can have Windows 8 alone in my laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyn73 View Post
    I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8 running on my laptop in Dual boot. Now I want to re-install Ubuntu without affecting Windows 8 partition. Please help me with it.
    You Need to run a Virtual Machine to dual boot.
    Windows 8.1 has it inbuilt....VmWare do a free one...see link below for info.
    Any problems with Grub can be sorted using the free Easybcd software.

    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...64507335,d.ZG4
    Thank you for the reply Dencal ,
    However I dont want a virtual machine. I want to install it to be installed on the my Hard Drive on a separate partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    You don't even need to "Dual Boot"

    Have a read of my threads about creating a PORTABLE system -- Written for Open SUSE-- am now using using Linux Mint - the same works for UBUNTU / DEBIAN .


    The main trick is to ensure that GRUB is written to the device you install Linux on and not the MBR of the ist hard disk (usually /dev/sda).

    Note also if you have a UEFI system then it gets a bit more complex but the same should work.

    How to make Portable Windows system (any version)

    It also explains if you hose up the boot windows mechanism on how to fix it.

    Cheers
    jimbo

    Thanks for the reply Jimbo.

    However I dont want to create a portable system because that will not serve my purpose.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 146
    Windows 8 Pro


    Your posts are conflicting....on the one hand you want to dual boot...in your post 5 you want "Windows alone".
    A virtual machine is a separate partition....this would give you a choice of Windows or Ubuntu on startup....Each having their own MBR (master boot record).

    If you only want Windows 8, Download EasyBCD....Its free...."View your Settings" This will show your HDD setup..."Edit boot setup" to change.....You can also do a backup and repair to cover yourself....also write MBR in BCD Deployment
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    You should be able to install it just like you did the first time. Did you use a USB stick to install it the first time?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Your posts are conflicting....on the one hand you want to dual boot...in your post 5 you want "Windows alone".
    A virtual machine is a separate partition....this would give you a choice of Windows or Ubuntu on startup....Each having their own MBR (master boot record).

    If you only want Windows 8, Download EasyBCD....Its free...."View your Settings" This will show your HDD setup..."Edit boot setup" to change.....You can also do a backup and repair to cover yourself....also write MBR in BCD Deployment
    Sorry to confuse you. I already have both running on my system Now. I would explain it more simpler to you what i really want. I am planning to delete the ubuntu partition for now. After doing that i know that i wont be able to boot into windows as there is no grub anymore. So i want to restore back or fix the mbr/bootloader (sorry i dont know the exact name of that thing which causes Windows OS to boot). Once i am able to login back to windows i can again install ubuntu whenever i need to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do I re-install Ubuntu on a dual boot laptop?
Related Threads
i tried to install ubuntu on an external hard drive and during instilation somehow the grub bootloader got installed on my internal hard drive. i cant seem to find any way to remove it. Im a total noob and im trying to find a solution for my problem. heres what im talking about
How come the thread has been marked solved? There are several videos on youtube explaining how, here is just one: How to Install Ubuntu 12.04 to Dual boot alongside Windows 8 - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LokDqte3sA4
I have a question on the best way to install Windows 7 as a dual boot on an existing Windows 8 installation on a new Asus Laptop. Most of the tutorials I've seen assume the pre-existing installation is Windows 7, and say that Windows 7 needs to be installed first, not an option when your Win8 comes...
dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu in Installation & Setup
Hi I have been researching installing Ubuntu alongside Win 8.on my daughters laptop. I already boot Ubuntu & Win 7 on my desktop pc, but I have read some horror stories about installing Ubuntu with Win 8., mostly in regard to the uefi boot system in Win 8., as well as, its a laptop as opposed to...
Solved Ubuntu Windows 8 dual boot preformance in Performance & Maintenance
I decided to dual boot ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 8. I had a dual boot setup before with Windows 7 and didn't have any problems. Since this latest dual boot Ubuntu has been running fine however Windows 8 has become really sluggish. It now takes a few minutes to boot when before it was able to...
Hi, I have my Windows 8 installed in my C drive and it is the only OS I have as of now. I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 8. But I have read so many negative things with regards to problems in booting after installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 8. My Win 8 is installed in UEFI...
dual boot with ubuntu in Installation & Setup
So I have this lenovo ideacentre B540 All-in-one that originally came with Windows 7. The customer bought it at best buy and it came with a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it came out. So the customer was using it with Windows 8 until he got some FBI porn virus on there. I was hired to reload...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook