Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Adding SSD to a brand new Asus laptop

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8

    Adding SSD to a brand new Asus laptop


    I've bought a new laptop , it's an Asus K95 series. (K95VB)

    Since it has an open slot for a second drive i also bought an SSD for it , a Crucial M500 240Gb if that should matter.

    So the laptop comes preinstalled with windows 8.
    There are no discs (recovery,repair,...) with the system. (a google search learned that this is normal)

    Offcourse i want my laptop to run the W8 from the SSD instead of the 1TB HDD (wich is actually a 3.5" , first time i see that in a laptop ).


    1) What is the best way to do this ? Clone , fresh install , recover to SSD ? (alltough it seems the last one isn't possible)

    I know a clean install is always the best way but since i don't have any W8 disk to install from , i don't know how ... (read as : can you do a fresh install with a recovery disk ?)

    2) How do i do it ? (a nice step by step if possible)

    3) If i manage to do it , what do i do with the original HDD ?
    Because it has 5 partitions now : 100MB (EFI-systempartition) - 900MB (recoverypartition) - 20,01GB (recoverypartition) - and a C and D (OS and Data).
    Can/may they be deleted ? (want to use this just for data , all progams/games/apps will go to the SSD offcourse)


    Haven't installed anything yet , just turned it on and did the basic installation stuff W8 asks for the first time.

    Not a noob to pc/laptop installs , but new to W8 and it looks like it changed a bit since W7 and everything before that.

    Lots of questions for a first post , hope to find some answers here

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8


    So , you prefer a clone over a fresh install ?

    Also , this tutorial is written for W7 , does it also goes for W8 ? (since you pointed me to it , i assume it does but better safe than sorry)

    And what with the recoverypartitions ?

    The 100MB partition is handled by the tut , but what with the 20GB and the 900MB partitions ? (anyone knows what the 900MB one is for ?)


    Also , asside from that , what with future re-installs ? (since i haven't got any disk for that)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 146
    Windows 8 Pro


    Crucial do a laptop install kit...this makes it very easy....see below...unfortunately no link so just go to their website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c.JPG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
    So , you prefer a clone over a fresh install ?

    Also , this tutorial is written for W7 , does it also goes for W8 ? (since you pointed me to it , i assume it does but better safe than sorry)

    And what with the recoverypartitions ?

    The 100MB partition is handled by the tut , but what with the 20GB and the 900MB partitions ? (anyone knows what the 900MB one is for ?)


    Also , asside from that , what with future re-installs ? (since i haven't got any disk for that)
    Yeah right. You have to adapt the tutorial a bit to the Windows 8 situation. I always image all partitions in my 8.1. Question is whether your SSD is large enough to restore them.

    The easiest would be to use the Paragon Migration tool. Then you are done in 3 clicks and don't have to worry about anything.

    Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Crucial do a laptop install kit...this makes it very easy....see below...unfortunately no link so just go to their website.
    Thanks for that , had a look at it.

    It seems it's a usb-sata cable and a cd with Acronis software on it.

    But i don't need the cable , the SSD is already in the laptop , it has 1 3.5" slot wich has the original 1TB drive and an extra 2.5 " slot where i put the SSD in.

    So i think i'm going to go with the Paragon software that whs recommends.

    But thanks for the effort of searcing it , seems like a perfect solution for 1 slot laptops so most likely someone else will benifit from your post when they read this topic.


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
    So , you prefer a clone over a fresh install ?

    Also , this tutorial is written for W7 , does it also goes for W8 ? (since you pointed me to it , i assume it does but better safe than sorry)

    And what with the recoverypartitions ?

    The 100MB partition is handled by the tut , but what with the 20GB and the 900MB partitions ? (anyone knows what the 900MB one is for ?)


    Also , asside from that , what with future re-installs ? (since i haven't got any disk for that)
    Yeah right. You have to adapt the tutorial a bit to the Windows 8 situation. I always image all partitions in my 8.1. Question is whether your SSD is large enough to restore them.

    The easiest would be to use the Paragon Migration tool. Then you are done in 3 clicks and don't have to worry about anything.

    Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview
    It's a 240GB SSD , so i guess that won't be a problem.

    Will that Paragon software move everyting ? (OS , the 100MB partition and both recoverypartitions ?)

    And when it's done , will the SSD become the C drive automatically or do i have to do that myself ?

    ( better to be well informed before i start )


    And thanks to all for the help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I know it moves C and the bootmgr partition. Not sure about the other two partitions. I never used it on 8.1, only on 7. But is can do 8.1. And yes, the OS partition wil be C.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8


    I got the Paragon Hard disk Manager 14 suite , looked handy to have for the future and the migrate OS to SSD software is part of it.

    So i want to start now and after analyzing it found the correct W8 installation and it also found the SSD to migrate to.

    Now it gives 2 extra options (checkboxes) :

    - Use all available space for the partition with OS
    - Create new EFI boot entry for destination drive

    Already ticked the first since i won't make partitions on the SSD

    But what is the second one for ? And should i tick it or not ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    You can go either way. Since you have a working EFI partition (that's the one which contains the bootmgr), there is no need to recreate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
    I've bought a new laptop , it's an Asus K95 series. (K95VB)

    Since it has an open slot for a second drive i also bought an SSD for it , a Crucial M500 240Gb if that should matter.

    So the laptop comes preinstalled with windows 8.
    There are no discs (recovery,repair,...) with the system. (a google search learned that this is normal)

    Offcourse i want my laptop to run the W8 from the SSD instead of the 1TB HDD (wich is actually a 3.5" , first time i see that in a laptop ).


    1) What is the best way to do this ? Clone , fresh install , recover to SSD ? (alltough it seems the last one isn't possible)

    I know a clean install is always the best way but since i don't have any W8 disk to install from , i don't know how ... (read as : can you do a fresh install with a recovery disk ?)

    2) How do i do it ? (a nice step by step if possible)

    3) If i manage to do it , what do i do with the original HDD ?
    Because it has 5 partitions now : 100MB (EFI-systempartition) - 900MB (recoverypartition) - 20,01GB (recoverypartition) - and a C and D (OS and Data).
    Can/may they be deleted ? (want to use this just for data , all progams/games/apps will go to the SSD offcourse)


    Haven't installed anything yet , just turned it on and did the basic installation stuff W8 asks for the first time.

    Not a noob to pc/laptop installs , but new to W8 and it looks like it changed a bit since W7 and everything before that.

    Lots of questions for a first post , hope to find some answers here
    Asus has a program called Backtracker, with it you will create an recovery USB Thumb Drive media. With this media you can restore to your new SSD. I suggest you remove or disconnect your current hard drive and put your SSD in the slot 0 then restore. after your restore your notebook will be as it came from the factory only on your SSD. Once your booting to your new SSD with no issues put your old hard drive in and use Diskpart to clean, convert to GPT, format and partition any way you like. Here is the link to the Back Tracker program.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Adding SSD to a brand new Asus laptop
Related Threads
I had this computer for a hour when it started to crash. It has windows 8 and has been getting constant memory_management crashes whenever i try to use it and sometimes just from idling. I have tried doing a reset through the recovery options and have done a full reinstall of windows 8. I really...
Hi, I recently bought a brand new laptop (MSI GT70 2OD, Dragon Editon 2) in August and even since I bought it I kept on getting lots of BSOD. First I thought I was a driver issue so uninstall my Nvidia Drivers (Back to stock drivers). Then few days after I got another one, so I decided to refresh...
Solved Very high RAM use at a brand new laptop? in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, I recently got a new laptop, first thing I did was delete most bloatware and such, and there really isn't a whole lot remaining other then OS and drivers. However, when checking the taskmanager recently I noticed it using 80-90% of the RAM. While being under very little use. Only thing was...
Brand New ASUS laptop 100% disk usage in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I purchased an Asus x501a laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled at the beginning of the month. They sold me Nortons 360 which I installed. The laptop keeps freezing and if I look in the task manager the disk useage keeps reaching 100% every few seconds and lots of things aren't working...
Solved Brand new laptop problems in Windows Updates & Activation
I'm setting up an MSI CR70 for one of my staff and am having nothing but problems. I removed some of the bloatware and installed avast! plus a couple other programs and it seemed to be working. She had to ship the laptop back to me because it had become unresponsive and she couldn't use it. I...
My Q200E Asus laptop came with 4g of memory. I would like to add another 4g's to bring it up to 8g's. I can find no instructions for doing this and am not entirely sure if it can be done. I have removed the back cover and see no memory sticks at all. Will someone please help me here? Thank...
As mentioned above..... Vote..... :)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook