Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Issues downgrading 8 to 7

  1. #1


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8 Pro

    Issues downgrading 8 to 7


    Hello, we recive lenovo all in one touch screen desktops at our business. Is there a ms dvd that contains all drivers for windows 7? the 1st thing I havce to do is enable CSM and put the dvd drive as first boot to do a clean install, it WILL NOT boot to the dvd (factory dvd). Once I do have it installed, no drivers are installed, so I have to use tethering to update drivers. This is a pain!

    1st is there a dvd with all win 7 drivers?
    Why is the rollback so difficult? Any help on getting these set up quicker would be great, as I will be doing this (the way I explained) to about 76 more desktops and there has to be an easier way. Because if I am setting up more than one at time, I cannot use my tethering on all desktops at once.




    Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    we recive lenovo all in one touch screen desktops at our business.
    For Lenovo business PC's with Windows 8/8.1 Pro.

    Windows 8 - Downgrade Instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    Before the Recovery Process


    Note: If you are using this recovery disc set to restore the contents of your hard disk drive to a factory-installed Windows 7 installation (including the Windows 7 operating system, applications, and drivers), go to Performing the recovery process for Windows 7 below.

    If your computer is preinstalled with the Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) operating system and you want to convert your operating system to the Windows 7 operating system using this recovery disc set, do the following before you start the recovery process:
    1.Repeatedly press and release the F1 key when turning on the computer. When you hear multiple beeps or see a logo screen, release the F1 key. The Setup Utility program opens.
    2.From the Setup Utility program main menu, select Exit or Restart, and then select OS Optimized Defaults > Disabled.
    3.Select Yes and press Enter in the window displayed to confirm your selection.
    4.Do one of the following: ?If you are using a ThinkPad or Lenovo V, B, K or E series notebook computer,press F9, select Yes in the displayed window to confirm your selection, and then press Enter.
    ? If you are using a ThinkCentre or ThinkStation computer, continue with Step 5.

    5.Press F10 to save your changes and exit the Setup Utility program.
    6.Continue with Performing the recovery process for Windows 7 below.




    Performing the recovery process for Windows 7


    Notes:
    •You must have an internal or external DVD drive to use the recovery discs.
    •During the recovery process, all data on the hard disk drive will be deleted. Copy any important data or personal files that you want to keep onto removable media or a network drive before you start the recovery process.

    To restore your computer to the original factory configuration using the recovery disc set, do the following:
    1.Make the CD/DVD drive the first startup device in the startup sequence using the following procedure:
    ?Repeatedly press and release the F1 key when turning on the computer. When you hear multiple beeps or see a logo screen, release the F1 key. The Setup Utility program opens.
    ?Use the arrow keys to select Startup. Depending on your computer model, select Primary Boot Sequence, Boot, or Startup Sequence.
    ?Select the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device by following the instructions and the help messages on the screen.

    2.Insert the Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc into the DVD drive.
    3.Press F10 to save the Setup Utility configuration changes. The computer restarts and the recovery program opens. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin the recovery process.
    4.Select your language and click Next.
    5.Read the license. If you agree to the terms and conditions, select I agree to these terms and conditions and then click Next. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, follow the instructions on the screen.
    6.If you install the Windows 7 (64–bit) operating system, read the messages on the
    screen and then select GPT partition style or MBR partition style as you desire.
    7. Click Yes or Next in the displayed window to continue the recovery process.
    8. If you have a secondary Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc, insert it into the DVD drive when prompted and then click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.
    9.Insert the Operating System Recovery Disc when prompted and then click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.
    10. If you have a Supplemental Recovery Disc, insert it when prompted and click Yes. If you do not have a Supplemental Recovery Disc, click No. ?Note: Not all recovery disc sets come with a Supplemental Recovery Disc.

    11.When all of the data has been copied from the last disc in the set and processed, you will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes to restart the computer. ?Note: The rest of the recovery process is fully automated and no action is required by you. The computer will restart into the Microsoft Windows desktop several timesand you might experience periods when no activity is apparent on the screen for several minutes at a time. This is normal.

    12. When the recovery process is complete, the Set Up Windows screen is displayed. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows setup.
    13.After you have completed the Windows setup, you might want to restore the original startup sequence. Start the Setup Utility program and then use the arrow keys to select Startup. Depending on your computer model, select Primary Boot Sequence, Boot, or Startup Sequence. Then restore the original startup sequence. Press F10 to save and exit the Setup Utility program.

    Note:
    •After restoring a hard disk drive to the factory default settings, you might need to reinstall some device drivers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8 Pro


    Also, when I am in device manager and update via internet, it is saying it cannot locate any drivers. Which I know is wrong. Why would this be so difficult? DO they really think all businesses are windows 8 compatible as of now? Why would downgrading be such a task? Also, they will NOT send these out with 7 preconfigured.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    we recive lenovo all in one touch screen desktops at our business.
    For Lenovo business PC's with Windows 8/8.1 Pro.

    Windows 8 - Downgrade Instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    Before the Recovery Process


    Note: If you are using this recovery disc set to restore the contents of your hard disk drive to a factory-installed Windows 7 installation (including the Windows 7 operating system, applications, and drivers), go to Performing the recovery process for Windows 7 below.

    If your computer is preinstalled with the Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) operating system and you want to convert your operating system to the Windows 7 operating system using this recovery disc set, do the following before you start the recovery process:
    1.Repeatedly press and release the F1 key when turning on the computer. When you hear multiple beeps or see a logo screen, release the F1 key. The Setup Utility program opens.
    2.From the Setup Utility program main menu, select Exit or Restart, and then select OS Optimized Defaults > Disabled.
    3.Select Yes and press Enter in the window displayed to confirm your selection.
    4.Do one of the following: ?If you are using a ThinkPad or Lenovo V, B, K or E series notebook computer,press F9, select Yes in the displayed window to confirm your selection, and then press Enter.
    ? If you are using a ThinkCentre or ThinkStation computer, continue with Step 5.

    5.Press F10 to save your changes and exit the Setup Utility program.
    6.Continue with Performing the recovery process for Windows 7 below.




    Performing the recovery process for Windows 7


    Notes:
    •You must have an internal or external DVD drive to use the recovery discs.
    •During the recovery process, all data on the hard disk drive will be deleted. Copy any important data or personal files that you want to keep onto removable media or a network drive before you start the recovery process.

    To restore your computer to the original factory configuration using the recovery disc set, do the following:
    1.Make the CD/DVD drive the first startup device in the startup sequence using the following procedure:
    ?Repeatedly press and release the F1 key when turning on the computer. When you hear multiple beeps or see a logo screen, release the F1 key. The Setup Utility program opens.
    ?Use the arrow keys to select Startup. Depending on your computer model, select Primary Boot Sequence, Boot, or Startup Sequence.
    ?Select the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device by following the instructions and the help messages on the screen.

    2.Insert the Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc into the DVD drive.
    3.Press F10 to save the Setup Utility configuration changes. The computer restarts and the recovery program opens. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin the recovery process.
    4.Select your language and click Next.
    5.Read the license. If you agree to the terms and conditions, select I agree to these terms and conditions and then click Next. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, follow the instructions on the screen.
    6.If you install the Windows 7 (64–bit) operating system, read the messages on the
    screen and then select GPT partition style or MBR partition style as you desire.
    7. Click Yes or Next in the displayed window to continue the recovery process.
    8. If you have a secondary Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc, insert it into the DVD drive when prompted and then click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.
    9.Insert the Operating System Recovery Disc when prompted and then click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.
    10. If you have a Supplemental Recovery Disc, insert it when prompted and click Yes. If you do not have a Supplemental Recovery Disc, click No. ?Note: Not all recovery disc sets come with a Supplemental Recovery Disc.

    11.When all of the data has been copied from the last disc in the set and processed, you will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes to restart the computer. ?Note: The rest of the recovery process is fully automated and no action is required by you. The computer will restart into the Microsoft Windows desktop several timesand you might experience periods when no activity is apparent on the screen for several minutes at a time. This is normal.

    12. When the recovery process is complete, the Set Up Windows screen is displayed. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows setup.
    13.After you have completed the Windows setup, you might want to restore the original startup sequence. Start the Setup Utility program and then use the arrow keys to select Startup. Depending on your computer model, select Primary Boot Sequence, Boot, or Startup Sequence. Then restore the original startup sequence. Press F10 to save and exit the Setup Utility program.

    Note:
    •After restoring a hard disk drive to the factory default settings, you might need to reinstall some device drivers.
    Thanks for the response. Does anyone esle feel irritated that the novel above is required to downgrade? Any idea how long this will take? I mean, we do not have 76 windos 7 installation disks and driver disks, as they do not send those with windows 8 machines. This is crazy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    It is all about doing your homework.

    Some OEM manufacturer's are now install Windows 7.

    My OEM test rig,Windows 8 specs:




    Quote Originally Posted by OEM
    OS Provided Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Edition Microsoft Office Preloaded Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC. Software Drivers & Utilities, Nero Essentials S, Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, Norton Internet Security (60 days trial), Recovery, Windows 7 / Windows 8 Pro Twin-Pack recovery DVD


    Quote Originally Posted by OEM
    Compatible operating systems

    Microsoft Windows 8, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Windows 7 Home Basic (EM) 32-bit,\r\nWindows Vista, Windows XP, \r\nopenSUSE Linux
    Windows 8.1 specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by OEM
    Windows 7 Professional Load with Windows 8.1 Pro license + Office 2013 trial,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Thanks for the response. Does anyone esle feel irritated that the novel above is required to downgrade? Any idea how long this will take? I mean, we do not have 76 windos 7 installation disks and driver disks, as they do not send those with windows 8 machines. This is crazy.
    You only need one Lenovo Recovery disk for model you have.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Thanks for the response. Does anyone esle feel irritated that the novel above is required to downgrade? Any idea how long this will take? I mean, we do not have 76 windos 7 installation disks and driver disks, as they do not send those with windows 8 machines. This is crazy.
    You only need one Lenovo Recovery disk for model you have.
    Sure, if I want to use one dvd on 76 differnet machines tha all need the same thing done to them
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    It is all about doing your homework.

    Some OEM manufacturer's are now install Windows 7.

    My OEM test rig,Windows 8 specs:



    Quote Originally Posted by OEM
    OS Provided Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Edition Microsoft Office Preloaded Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC. Software Drivers & Utilities, Nero Essentials S, Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, Norton Internet Security (60 days trial), Recovery, Windows 7 / Windows 8 Pro Twin-Pack recovery DVD

    Sorry, but what ^^ is this sup[posed to be showing/telling me? Compatability? I just wnat an easy downgrade with drivers installed without having to mess with bios, use my tethering to get internet and drivers etc.





    Quote Originally Posted by OEM
    Compatible operating systems

    Microsoft Windows 8, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Windows 7 Home Basic (EM) 32-bit,\r\nWindows Vista, Windows XP, \r\nopenSUSE Linux
    Windows 8.1 specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by OEM
    Windows 7 Professional Load with Windows 8.1 Pro license + Office 2013 trial,
    Sorry, but what ^^ is this sup[posed to be showing/telling me? Compatability? I just wnat an easy downgrade with drivers installed without having to mess with bios, use my tethering to get internet and drivers etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Thanks for the response. Does anyone esle feel irritated that the novel above is required to downgrade? Any idea how long this will take? I mean, we do not have 76 windos 7 installation disks and driver disks, as they do not send those with windows 8 machines. This is crazy.
    You only need one Lenovo Recovery disk for model you have.
    Sure, if I want to use one dvd on 76 differnet machines tha all need the same thing done to them
    If you want to use the free downgrade rights, use the Lenovo windows 7 Pro downgrade rights dvd.
    or you can pay out for 76 Windows 7 Product Keys & download the drivers from Lenovo website.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    One question that immediately comes to mind is -- if it's SO important that you run only Windows 7, why did your company knowingly purchase 76 PCs running Windows 8?

    Second question is what's SO important about running Windows 7 that Windows 8, which is already there, will not suffice?

    If the concern is with the new tiles-interface of Windows 8, that's something that can be changed "back" to a Windows 7-like menu-interface very easily. This would take a LOT less work than reinstalling 76 PCs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Issues downgrading 8 to 7
Related Threads
Solved Downgrading DirectX in Graphic Cards
Is it possible to downgrade from DirectX 11 on Windows 8?
Downgrading to Windows 7 in Installation & Setup
So my laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled and I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7, but if ever I want to go back to Win 8 in a future, I'll need an OEM installation media as my license is OEM, discs were not supplied, however there's a recovery partition on my drive. My question is: are...
downgrading to win7 in Installation & Setup
Hi, I have just joined the forum so please bear with me.:p Very simply, I am trying to clone an old win 7 hard drive onto a new win 8 hard drive !!!! This could take a while to explain : Until a couple of weeks ago I had a very old Compaq pc with a 40 GB hard drive using win7 32 bit version. I...
Solved Not really downgrading but going back in Installation & Setup
OK, so my main system is Windows 7 Ultimate, retail version. I also have/had a 2nd, older system with Vista Ultimate, retail version. On the Vista system I upgraded to Windows 8 but soon had second thoughts. Why give up a expensive and well functioning retail version for a cheap not...
Downgrading in Installation & Setup
Is there any way to go back to Win 7 without destroying everything?
Solved Stuck Already Downgrading From 8 To 7 in Installation & Setup
I have a new Vaio Laptop... I have printed instructions from Sony Support on how to install 7 on an 8 computer. In case you wish to see them.... Sony eSupport - Windows® 7 Clean Install Instructions for Windows® 8 PCs I am stuck at number 7 of Installing Operation System (Sony List). I change...
Downgrading in Installation & Setup
I recently installed windows 8 on my laptop, and would like to go back to windows 7. How would I do that? My laptop came pre-installed with windows 7
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook