Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Best $15 I ever spent

  1. #1


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

    Best $15 I ever spent


    Short story, bought the limited time $15 8 pro upgrade offered over a year ago, I had retail 7. Just used it on my POS OEM 8 system and it worked! I am one happy camper.

    I used the "Get more features with a new edition of windows" feature in System. It worked and only took about 30 minutes to install.

    Don't think I'm cheating as I could install my retail 7 on this computer and then go through the process. I'm simply happy. Next, upgrade to 8.1 Pro.

    Have I done anything wrong? I respect the opinions here. Please no EULA quotes.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Short story, bought the limited time $15 8 pro upgrade offered over a year ago, I had retail 7. Just used it on my POS OEM 8 system and it worked! I am one happy camper.

    I used the "Get more features with a new edition of windows" feature in System. It worked and only took about 30 minutes to install.

    Don't think I'm cheating as I could install my retail 7 on this computer and then go through the process. I'm simply happy. Next, upgrade to 8.1 Pro.

    Have I done anything wrong? I respect the opinions here. Please no EULA quotes.
    If Microsoft accepted the Product key... who's to say!!!

    You DID use the 'Create a bootable USB' option in the process, right?!?!?
    Now use that key and go get the 8.1 iso!
    (Keep that key in a safe place!)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Short story, bought the limited time $15 8 pro upgrade offered over a year ago, I had retail 7. Just used it on my POS OEM 8 system and it worked! I am one happy camper.

    I used the "Get more features with a new edition of windows" feature in System. It worked and only took about 30 minutes to install.

    Don't think I'm cheating as I could install my retail 7 on this computer and then go through the process. I'm simply happy. Next, upgrade to 8.1 Pro.

    Have I done anything wrong? I respect the opinions here. Please no EULA quotes.
    If Microsoft accepted the Product key... who's to say...
    Kind of what I thought. They know I have retail 7 which I could go through the whole goat rope of installing 7 then upgrading. I think the key is basically retail 8 Pro. Again, best $15 I ever spent.

    PS: The key is in a very safe place, and backup places. I feel like Christmas arrived late, or early.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Best $15 I ever spent
    Considering my trip to Walmart tonight cost $120 (US), to fill my van with diesel, $80...
    monthly gas heat over $200 ..., veterinary bill > $320.

    I was happy to buy a plain old simple 8.1 ISO download (not pro) online $100 (US) ...
    put it on a thumb, and can do a clean new install
    as often as I want to without having to go thru the 8 upgrade process.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Kind of what I thought. They know I have retail 7 which I could go through the whole goat rope of installing 7 then upgrading. I think the key is basically retail 8 Pro. Again, best $15 I ever spent.
    You're one of the lucky ones!
    The best thing about having the 8.1 iso is not having to download 3 - 6GB of ESD every time you want to clean install.
    I just did it (AGAIN!) the other day, took less than 20 minutes, straight to 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Best $15 I ever spent
    Considering my trip to Walmart tonight cost $120 (US), to fill my van with diesel, $80...
    monthly gas heat over $200 ..., veterinary bill > $320.

    I was happy to buy a plain old simple 8.1 ISO download (not pro) online $100 (US) ...
    put it on a thumb, and can do a clean new install
    as often as I want to without having to go thru the 8 upgrade process.


    Lol! Ain't it the truth.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Well, took several hours but I now have 8.1 Pro installed. Seemed to hang and do nothing many times. All kinds of screen notifications. "System Updating" and others, I should have written them down. Patience is a virtue.

    Sometimes life throws you a bone
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Going to update my system specs.

    I now have 8.1 Pro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Time to image. Went from dog doo doo OEM 8 to 8.1 Pro retail. Feel like I won the lottery.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Best $15 I ever spent
Related Threads
Ended up getting 4 Acer All in One 23" touchscreens at work this past week. Getting them set up for a tradeshow. They are the Acer Aspire 5600U's. They were $999 from NewEgg for Core i3-3110m, 8gb ram, 1TB hard drive, Intel HD400 graphics, DVD burner, 23" 1080p 10 point touchscreen, Windows...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook