Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

  1. #91


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by silentdk View Post
    How can you tell if you have an UEFI? Attachment 39728
    Your partitioning is UEFI.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Explore function can only see the normal partitions not the hidden ones. I have now installed the 2 programs you suggested and in the process of creating an new bootable usb with it. But what should I do when I get to the menu again? I thought it found the *.wim file automatically and then I could choose what partition to restore? Could you please point me in the right direction.
    Your install.wim is in partition called RESTORE.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Posts : 5,357
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Give the restore partition a drive letter, or copy the install.wim to somewhere you can get at it. a data partition will do.

    If your file has .wim extension, you can use gimagex, ( click the Apply tab ) but will need to browse to the wim with that, so you have to be able to see it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Give the restore partition a drive letter, or copy the install.wim to somewhere you can get at it. a data partition will do.

    If your file has .wim extension, you can use gimagex, ( click the Apply tab ) but will need to browse to the wim with that, so you have to be able to see it.
    I have assigned a letter to the 20gb recovery partition and found an boot.wim file. But when I boot from USB the drive letter is no longer assigned. If I start PartitionGuru in the WindowsPE I can see the partitions but not assign an drive letter, so how is it possible to do this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Posts : 10
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Qub1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xuorel View Post
    Hi,
    i encounter the same issue on my asus ux32a.

    I would like to restore the computer with asus recovery partition. So to do that, have i cut on my key the file winre.wim or instam.wim on partition 7 ?

    How to access to that files ?

    Thank you very mutch
    Yes to access those files I used the program the others mentioned called Partition Guru. You can get it here:Recover deleted files, Partition manager and Windows backup - PartitionGuru

    It's free and you can browse the hidden partitions with it and extract the files.

    If you need more help just ask
    Thank you very much for your help.

    I have exactly the same initial situation as you. i'm still a little lost in the process to fix it. So could you please explain it to me step by step. I would be very grateful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Have you tried the ASUS Hot Key Recovery?
    Which is F9.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Posts : 5,357
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You can use pguru to find install.wim ( it might be split into several install.SWM files). Copy it ( or them ) onto a partition you can see in explorer, i.e something with a drive letter. A data partition is fine.

    Then you will be able to browse to install.wim with gimagex and Apply it to your windows partition. It won't want to ovwerwrite the windows files already on there, so you may need to format it first.

    If you have .SWM files, you can't use gimagex, but there should be another thing in my winpe called SWM on the menu. Fire that up and it will ask you to browse to the install.SWM. It will show you the images , and ask which you want to install. It will ask for the drive letter to install onto, and the drive letter of your active partition. If you are using efi/gpt, the active partition is the ESP partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Posts : 10
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    You can use pguru to find install.wim ( it might be split into several install.SWM files). Copy it ( or them ) onto a partition you can see in explorer, i.e something with a drive letter. A data partition is fine.

    Then you will be able to browse to install.wim with gimagex and Apply it to your windows partition. It won't want to ovwerwrite the windows files already on there, so you may need to format it first.

    If you have .SWM files, you can't use gimagex, but there should be another thing in my winpe called SWM on the menu. Fire that up and it will ask you to browse to the install.SWM. It will show you the images , and ask which you want to install. It will ask for the drive letter to install onto, and the drive letter of your active partition. If you are using efi/gpt, the active partition is the ESP partition.
    on your previous message you spoke about winre.wim. What is it ? What i have to do with ? Where can i found it ?

    (contrarly to Qub1 i have not an error message when i type reagentc /info on cmd and windows RE status is "enabled")
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by xuorel
    on your previous message you spoke about winre.wim. What is it ? What i have to do with ? Where can i found it ?

    (contrarly to Qub1 i have not an error message when i type reagentc /info on cmd and windows RE status is "enabled")
    Have you tried the ASUS Hot Key Recovery?
    Which is F9.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Posts : 10
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xuorel
    on your previous message you spoke about winre.wim. What is it ? What i have to do with ? Where can i found it ?

    (contrarly to Qub1 i have not an error message when i type reagentc /info on cmd and windows RE status is "enabled")
    Have you tried the ASUS Hot Key Recovery?
    Which is F9.
    yes of course. But as for Qub1, recovery mode didn't find any backup
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Unable to reset to factory - ASUS Partition ( Built In )
I have recently attempted to reset my laptop to factory and i get this issue Computer specs: Asus VivoBook S550CM 8gb Ram 1. 50015 2.50016 HELP, Need more info? please post on thread
Installation & Setup
Unable to perform recovery - Required partition is missing
Hi all I have an i7 ASUS Ultrabook (HDD is 2xssd in raid0, UEFI, GPT partitions.) which is great but have an issue where wifi profiles don't retain and i'm not too concerned about retaining the data on the ultrabook so after attempting to fix the wifi profiles not saving (Have been through the...
General Support
Problems with recovery partition in ASUS with Windows 8
I have some problems with my laptop ASUS K55VD. I had windows 8, but with the store of windows I have updated to windows 8.1. I have tried to use the recovery partition, but every time I try appears a message. Failed to reset your computer. A partition of unity necessary is missing. 48360For...
Installation & Setup
ASUS Recovery partition
Hi All, I've read a lot of posts and a little confused. I upgraded ASUS S400CA to 8.1 . I just need to create a recovery disk with the option of copy from recovery partition which is graded out as many of you know. Can you please provide me with the steps of what I will have to do to create a...
Installation & Setup
Asus X550CC recovery partition not working
Hello i buy new asus X550CC-XO028H ultrabook with windows 8 preinstalled.I upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 over windows store.I get many erros in event viewer.So now need restore windows 8 from recovery partition.Install all programs and upgrade to 8.1.But i cannot to do this.Windows 8.1 cannot find...
General Support
Cannot copy recovery partition -- win8 recovery creation
Hello everyone, I'm a technician at TigerDirect, and for one of our services we create recovery media for newly purchased machines. For Windows 8 machines (As I'm sure you know) we cannot create recovery disks, and have to create a recovery drive using a flash drive. On multiple occasions...
Software and Apps
Asus VivoTab Smart - restore recovery partition?
My tablet is running fine, but I did something (not bright) which could leave me in a lurch later. Here's what I did, and what I'm looking for. Soon after I purchased my Asus VivoTab Smart, I made a USB recovery disk, complete with recovery partition. Then, to save disk space on the tablet, I...
Drivers & Hardware
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook