Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


EFI System Partition missing files, Repair Disk won't boot

  1. #11


    Posts : 1,121
    Windows 8.1 x64


    From the picture, your EFI partition appears intact, and still shows as Fat32.

    The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition is giving different indications than mine. It indicates on my system using GParted as Unknown and msftres. Did you change it at all? We probably need to get it repaired to show the correct information.

    When you check the bios during boot, there is no Windows Boot Manager option?

    The Shimx64.efi file is one used to make the install compatible with the Windows 8 Secure Boot. In the latest version of Ubuntu, it is no longer needed.

    A Legacy version of Linux is able to use a partition it makes to boot using MBR on a GPT configured drive, so that is what you are seeing. During boot, if the drive itself is selected as the boot device, it will use the MBR and boot to Linux. If the Windows (or Linux) Boot Manger is used, it should boot to the EFI version of the OS.

    I also see you have another Fat32 partition. If it is on the Hard Drive and not the Flash drive, it might be confusing Windows since it could look like another EFI partition. It may not be necessary, but can you copy the contents somewhere else and remove it?

    Now, if you are not showing a Windows Boot Manager in the Bios, you might run the bcdboot c:\Windows command to replace the boot files. Not sure what might happen to the Other OSes during this process, so you may want to hold off until you decide.

    Edit: I just noticed your EFI partition does not show as the System Partition, but the Recovery Partition does. Not sure what might have happened there, except you may be booting through the recovery Partition or even labeled it that.
    Last edited by Saltgrass; 01 Dec 2013 at 09:42.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    From the picture, your EFI partition appears intact, and still shows as Fat32.

    The Microsoft System Reserved (MSR) partition is giving different indications than mine. It indicates on my system using GParted as Unknown and msftres. Did you change it at all? We probably need to get it repaired to show the correct information.
    Do you mean /dev/sda3? I have never changed it. It simply contains a folder called System Volume Information, inside of which is a folder called EfaData, inside of which is a file called SYMEFA.db.
    When you check the bios during boot, there is no Windows Boot Manager option?
    What do you mean by check the bios during boot? The only bios option I am aware of on my computer is to press f12 to choose the device to boot from (hard drive, usb, cd, network). Strangely enough, this does not work when I have the repair disk inserted - it seems to completely freeze the computer.
    The Shimx64.efi file is one used to make the install compatible with the Windows 8 Secure Boot. In the latest version of Ubuntu, it is no longer needed.
    A Legacy version of Linux is able to use a partition it makes to boot using MBR on a GPT configured drive, so that is what you are seeing. During boot, if the drive itself is selected as the boot device, it will use the MBR and boot to Linux. If the Windows (or Linux) Boot Manger is used, it should boot to the EFI version of the OS.
    All right, that is good to know.
    I also see you have another Fat32 partition. If it is on the Hard Drive and not the Flash drive, it might be confusing Windows since it could look like another EFI partition. It may not be necessary, but can you copy the contents somewhere else and remove it?
    I made this copy after all these problems, but sure, I will try it.
    Now, if you are not showing a Windows Boot Manager in the Bios, you might run the bcdboot c:\Windows command to replace the boot files. Not sure what might happen to the Other OSes during this process, so you may want to hold off until you decide.
    I think I misunderstand you here. Do you mean from a Windows command prompt? I still have the issue of actually booting into a repair disk - which, because everything on the C:\ drive as well as recovery oriented is still intact, should make reinstalling Windows easy (I have backups of all my data, so I don't care about wiping the hard drive). What are my options here? Later today, I am going to try to make a Windows Install disk by going into Windows upgrade assistant on my desktop and selecting install from media. Apparently, this will allow me to create Windows install disks and I can simply reinstall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    - boot up to Windows 8 installation DVD/USB
    - press SHIFT-F10 to bring up console

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition # (EFI system partition)
    (format fs=fat32 label="System")
    assign letter="Z"
    exit

    bcdboot C:\windows /s Z: /f uefi

    Z: = EFI system partition volume letter

    BCDboot Command-Line Options
    Last edited by genet; 09 Jan 2014 at 09:35. Reason: Add letter="Z"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,121
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by aenda View Post
    Do you mean /dev/sda3? I have never changed it. It simply contains a folder called System Volume Information, inside of which is a folder called EfaData, inside of which is a file called SYMEFA.db.
    Yes, SDA3 needs to be a specific type and you show it as being changed. Do you have access to a Windows Command prompt by booting to install or recovery media?

    Quote Originally Posted by aenda View Post
    What do you mean by check the bios during boot? The only bios option I am aware of on my computer is to press f12 to choose the device to boot from (hard drive, usb, cd, network). Strangely enough, this does not work when I have the repair disk inserted - it seems to completely freeze the computer.
    What repair disk are you referring to?

    The bios is where you set up the primary boot device. You should be able to get there and make sure the the Windows boot Manager is set as first priority. This is assuming you even show a Windows Boot Manager, and if you do not, did you change the bios in such a way as to not see the UEFI boot options?

    You might also check the bios and turn off any fast boot options until you get this sorted.

    Quote Originally Posted by aenda View Post
    I think I misunderstand you here. Do you mean from a Windows command prompt? I still have the issue of actually booting into a repair disk - which, because everything on the C:\ drive as well as recovery oriented is still intact, should make reinstalling Windows easy (I have backups of all my data, so I don't care about wiping the hard drive). What are my options here? Later today, I am going to try to make a Windows Install disk by going into Windows upgrade assistant on my desktop and selecting install from media. Apparently, this will allow me to create Windows install disks and I can simply reinstall.
    Some of the things you need to check, like the status of the MSR, will need to use Diskpart from a Command Prompt window. Having the actual install media is great, a recovery drive will also work. You should be able to boot from the recovery drive by selecting the UEFI version in the Boot Device Menu.

    I have attached a GParted picture of my system so you can compare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basic Configuration.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    What do you mean by check the bios during boot? The only bios option I am aware of on my computer is to press f12 to choose the device to boot from (hard drive, usb, cd, network). Strangely enough, this does not work when I have the repair disk inserted
    F12 should show a Windows Boot Manager.

    Click image for larger version
    I am going to try to make a Windows Install disk by going into Windows upgrade assistant on my desktop and selecting install from media. Apparently, this will allow me to create Windows install disks
    What Windows 8 version upgrade?

    What Windows 8 version is on the Notebook?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    Some of the things you need to check, like the status of the MSR, will need to use Diskpart from a Command Prompt window. Having the actual install media is great, a recovery drive will also work. You should be able to boot from the recovery drive by selecting the UEFI version in the Boot Device Menu.
    The problem is that I cannot get my recovery drive to boot. I have tried the procedure exactly as it is laid out here. I tested the flash drive on my desktop and it works. However, when I put it into my laptop, the computer just shows the Toshiba splash image and freezes. I have tried in both UEFI and legacy boot modes.

    As for the Boot Device Menu, I get a similar menu when I press F12, except it only shows Hard drive, Optical disk drive, USB drive, and Boot over network, as well as enter setup, which brings me to my Bios menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    As for the Boot Device Menu, I get a similar menu when I press F12, except it only shows Hard drive, Optical disk drive, USB drive, and Boot over network, as well as enter setup, which brings me to my Bios menu.
    Check CSM for the Boot Mode. (should be UEFI)

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Well, now I am starting to really worry. I followed the procedure described here Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create to get an iso then used Rufus as described here UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows to create a bootable flash drive. However, I now realize it does not boot because my desktop is 32 bit, and this gave me a 32 bit iso, apparently not compatible. I suppose I will try again now with a 64 bit iso.
    Edit: How can I get the upgrade tool to download a 64 bit iso?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I am going to try to make a Windows Install disk by going into Windows upgrade assistant on my desktop and selecting install from media. Apparently, this will allow me to create Windows install disks
    What Windows 8 version upgrade?

    What Windows 8 version is on the Notebook?
    information   Information
    If you need to download 32bit Windows 8, download from a 32bit PC.
    If you need to download 64bit Windows 8, download from a 64bit PC.


    Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I am going to try to make a Windows Install disk by going into Windows upgrade assistant on my desktop and selecting install from media. Apparently, this will allow me to create Windows install disks
    What Windows 8 version upgrade?

    What Windows 8 version is on the Notebook?
    information   Information
    If you need to download 32bit Windows 8, download from a 32bit PC.
    If you need to download 64bit Windows 8, download from a 64bit PC.


    Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create
    I have this laptop (64-bit) and the desktop (32 bit). I have no currently accessible 64 bit Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
EFI System Partition missing files, Repair Disk won't boot
Related Threads
SFC cannot repair my corrupted system files in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, After getting infected and buying an antvirus and clenaed my system i run "sfc /scannow" and it says some protected system fiels are corrupted but its not able to fix them. Any idea as to what needs to be done plase?
Hey So I did a disk repair for one of my hard drives (not the system drive ) using check disk because I could not open my folders it would say they were corrupted. This followed me powering off my pc while it was shutting down. So after the chkdisk repair my drive was now functioning ok except for...
Hello! I'm new here(obviously). Well, last week I bought a laptop(ASUS N56JR) with a 750gb hdd. And today I went to Microcenter, saw a PNY XLR8 240gb SSD for $100 and bought it. I used a cloning software EaseUS Todo Backup to clone my OS partition of the HDD to SSD(It's only 90GB worth of...
Cannot Boot From Startup Repair Disk in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite L875D-S7332 Part No. PSKFQU-008003 With Windows 8 x64 Preinstalled. I created a Startup Repair Disk with a DVD. My problem is i cannot boot from this DVD. I changed the Bios to boot from DVD but it still doesn't work! Can Anyone help me? Thank You, heaven5733
On my friend's Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows 8 will not boot. I want to boot to the repair disk to restore an image I had created. F12 on boot does not show the DVD drive as an option. I went into Setup/Boot and disabled Secure Boot, still did not show the DVD as a boot option. I went back to Setup...
Solved System Repair Disk in Chillout Room
So I ended up inheriting a Windows 7 64-bit computer, and unfortunately I can't install any files without the administrator password. I burned a system repair disk from another Windows 7 64-bit computer, and when I put it in nothing happens. Is there some key to running it that I'm missing?
Hello, I am trying to create a system repair disc, and I am getting the message: "do not have the files to create system repair disc". Why? How do I get those files. Never had a problem like this trying to create a system back up in the past. Running Windows 8. Thanks!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook