Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can't restore Windows 8 64-bit

  1. #11


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    You must follow the detailed recovery instructions in your manual:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    I really hope this helps you now.

    Good luck.

    my2cents

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Edit 2: Is there a way to do a system restore from here? Or due to the circumstance is it better to do the complete refresh?
    Open a command prompt & type in

    rstrui.exe

    & press Enter.

    Follow instructions that appear.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8 64-bit


    Cheers guys!
    Just quickly - these two posts above from my2cents and David; is there a difference?
    I mean they are different methods but what's the outcome? Should I give the system restore a try first from the cmd prompt?
    Sorry for the number of questions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Try my2cents method first.

    He is smarter than me.

    If his won't work try mine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Try my2cents method first.

    He is smarter than me.

    If his won't work try mine.
    No wait! You suggestion is appropriate as well. I just thought the OP was looking to do a full factory recovery but it seems he may have found a way to get to a point where he can use your suggestion to revert to a previous restore point, and that may be an even better solution! Let's see if the OP wants to go your route first. Very good David!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8 64-bit


    Appreciate everybody's help ALOT!!
    I'm on my way out, but I'll give the restore a try in a few hours.
    And my2cents yeah mate you were right, I was looking for a complete reset. But now that I can access safe mode and it seems I have some options, maybe the restore or refresh might be the go.
    I will let you guys know how it goes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Beast100 View Post
    Appreciate everybody's help ALOT!!
    I'm on my way out, but I'll give the restore a try in a few hours.
    And my2cents yeah mate you were right, I was looking for a complete reset. But now that I can access safe mode and it seems I have some options, maybe the restore or refresh might be the go.
    I will let you guys know how it goes.
    Hey Beast100,

    I think you got the right idea... now that you have two possible ways to go. And, a big thanks to David for chiming in at just the right time! I owe you yet another rep for that nice alternative suggestion.

    Cheers,

    my2cents
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast100 View Post
    Appreciate everybody's help ALOT!!
    I'm on my way out, but I'll give the restore a try in a few hours.
    And my2cents yeah mate you were right, I was looking for a complete reset. But now that I can access safe mode and it seems I have some options, maybe the restore or refresh might be the go.
    I will let you guys know how it goes.
    Hey Beast100,

    I think you got the right idea... now that you have two possible ways to go. And, a big thanks to David for chiming in at just the right time! I owe you yet another rep for that nice alternative suggestion.

    Cheers,

    my2cents
    I was just at the right place at the right time.
    In the Valley there is a saying :

    Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in a while.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8 64-bit


    Alright fellas, just executed rstrui.exe in cmd prompt, apparently it's restoring to a restore point from 6 days ago (I started having the issues about 4 days ago) so I will let you know how this goes. Currently says "System Restore is initializing" so I'll let that run while I have lunch
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Beast100 View Post
    Alright fellas, just executed rstrui.exe in cmd prompt, apparently it's restoring to a restore point from 6 days ago (I started having the issues about 4 days ago) so I will let you know how this goes. Currently says "System Restore is initializing" so I'll let that run while I have lunch
    Sounds quite promising. Kudos to David for his timely suggestion!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Can't restore Windows 8 64-bit
Related Threads
System restore not creating restore point in Performance & Maintenance
I went into Task Scheduler and set System Restore to create a restore point every day at 12:01am. Under Conditions I cleared all the check boxes because I want SR to run regardless of whether computer is idle or not. I have been watching this for about 1 week and so far it's not created a single...
Hello all. There is an old "solved" post on at sevenforums.com about this very same issue How to Restore .exe icon Solved - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums But still now, I'm having the very same issue with 3ds Max 2015. The files in the main folder look the same as the ones posted. There is...
Windows 8 won't update or restore in Windows Updates & Activation
I have not updated Windows 8 to 8.1 yet Before yesterday the last time I ran some updates was at the end of September. I ran the update again yesterday and it installed some but failed on others. Heres what was installed 53990 Others however failed
Solved System Restore will not restore in Performance & Maintenance
I make manual System Restore points and when I try to use them to restore, it goes thru the motions but ends up saying System was not restored - returned to previous state. I make Macrium Reflect back-ups regularly and they work great - no problems. So, what I have done is turn off System...
I have a Lenovo G585 laptop that I installed with Linux (tried dual boot) and accidentally wiped out the Windows 8.1 restore partition. Now I want to restore it to Windows. I also have a Dell desktop W8.1 that I can use to to create a USB restore image, can I use a restore image from a desktop to...
Solved How to Restore Windows 8.1 Bootloader in Installation & Setup
Hi, I have recently Dual Booted my Computer with Win 7, XP and Windows 8.1. I now cannot boot into Windows 8.1 :huh: I installed Easy BCD and was able to make a bootloader but i can only boot into Win 7 and XP Please can you help
Automatic Restore Points is not working in System Restore. Task Scheduler is empty during last 30 days.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook