Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Embedded Product Key (8.0) for 8.1 install

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    These damn 8 keys should have worked for all 8.x versions if they are free.

    I'll report my results tomorrow.
    OEM keys are not free but pretty cheap compared to retail. We do pay as part of the hardware price. I for one will be waiting for your results. Thanks for trying.
    When I buy my machines from Dell, I now pay the extra to get 8 pro from them as OEM because it was cheaper than renewing that portion of our enterprise agreement for my company.

    I'm certainly not going to pay again to get an 8.1 license. I'll upgrade them with the MSDN media if worse comes to worse, it's much faster than downloading each time from the store.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Ok, good news to report thus far.

    I ran the showkey.vbs script that I found on this forum and got the key from my test Dell Latitude 6430u.
    I then installed Windows 8.1 from the MSDN iso and used the dummy key above to get it installed.

    Then, I ran slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx and put back my legit key. It accepted this.

    I connected an ethernet cable, rebooted the machine, and it's showing as activated.

    So, I ran sysprep and shut down the machine. Now I am taking an image of this OS, will then put that image back down on another 6430u and see if it activates. Will post back when I know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    That's wonderful news! Thanks for being an OEM 8.1 pioneer in this area.

    my2cents
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I'm not sure if your aware but each PC (even from the same manufacturer) has a unique embedded key. That key can only be used on that PC. Windows 8 uses OA3.0 and each PC has its own product key. It's not like the old days of OA2.1 where every Dell had the same OEM SLP key. I would think your going to have to retrieve the embedded key on each PC and use that to activate that PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Well, got to get some troubleshooting done.

    I use Paragon Backup and Recovery to take the image. It took the image just fine, unfortuantely, my machine will not boot after restoring the image. I'm getting
    Error 0xc0000034 and a blue screen saying my computer needs to be repaired.

    I think it's related to this thread here: Computer won't boot on Win8 UEFI restore - Wilders Security Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Ok, good news to report thus far.

    I ran the showkey.vbs script that I found on this forum and got the key from my test Dell Latitude 6430u.
    I then installed Windows 8.1 from the MSDN iso and used the dummy key above to get it installed.

    Then, I ran slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx and put back my legit key. It accepted this.

    I connected an ethernet cable, rebooted the machine, and it's showing as activated.

    So, I ran sysprep and shut down the machine. Now I am taking an image of this OS, will then put that image back down on another 6430u and see if it activates. Will post back when I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    That's wonderful news! Thanks for being an OEM 8.1 pioneer in this area.

    my2cents

    This is fantastic news! You sure will make a lot of OEM folks happy if this works. Maybe Brink will even make one of his wonderful tutorials on the exact steps.

    Whoops, posted too soon, now see your latest update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm not sure if your aware but each PC (even from the same manufacturer) has a unique embedded key. That key can only be used on that PC. Windows 8 uses OA3.0 and each PC has its own product key. It's not like the old days of OA2.1 where every Dell had the same OEM SLP key. I would think your going to have to retrieve the embedded key on each PC and use that to activate that PC.
    I understand. With 8.0, all I had to do was put my sysprepped image back onto the machine, it read the unique embedded key and it just worked and activated. Since I sysprepped the box before I ran the image, I expect (or hope), that 8.1 grabs this key and can manage to activate it. I expect it work because that is the key that I used with slmgr.vbs -ipk when I ran the command.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm not sure if your aware but each PC (even from the same manufacturer) has a unique embedded key. That key can only be used on that PC. Windows 8 uses OA3.0 and each PC has its own product key. It's not like the old days of OA2.1 where every Dell had the same OEM SLP key. I would think your going to have to retrieve the embedded key on each PC and use that to activate that PC.
    I understand. With 8.0, all I had to do was put my sysprepped image back onto the machine, it read the unique embedded key and it just worked and activated. Since I sysprepped the box before I ran the image, I expect (or hope), that 8.1 grabs this key and can manage to activate it. I expect it work because that is the key that I used with slmgr.vbs -ipk when I ran the command.
    OK, just wanted to make sure. You sounded like you knew what you were doing. I was just giving you a heads up, just in case, so you wouldn't be stuck scratching your head wondering why machine no 2 wouldn't activate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    OEM's will work same as Retail, if you have key.

    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Now I am taking an image of this OS, will then put that image back down on another 6430u and see if it activates. Will post back when I know
    I was expecting you could install with the generic key and activate with the 8.0 oem key grabbed by a keyfinder program.

    If you are putting the image on a different machine, you may need to enter the key grabbed from that different machine to activate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Embedded Product Key (8.0) for 8.1 install
Related Threads
Read more at source: Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles? | ZDNet
Hi there Is it possible does anybody know that if you have a Bios with a PROTECTED OS (Key in the BIOS), can you make the OEM install .ISO and then re-install on the same machine in NON PROTECTED mode by simply using the key from the BIOS. (You need to turn off protected boot -- you can leave...
Hi EF! I have a dreamspark account and in that I am provided with the Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro . So, I was thinking if there are any differences in that one and also would I be able to use it like a Home User? I am also getting the Server 2012 Datacentre Edition. So which one should...
Hi everyone, quick intro.. I own a small company which recycles IT equipment. Mostly we dismantle laptops and sell the individual parts but occasionally we get something in that's a little too good to cannibalise. This week we got a nice Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook and all it needed was a hard...
Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out how I can go about installing 8.1 on a blank hdd using my embedded product key. I hate using the manufacturer recovery because there is a slew of bloatware that I need to get rid of. If anybody could help I would appreciate it.
Hi I've currently got Windows 7 Pro installed on a system at work and am trying to install Windows Embedded 8, but I'm getting an error during setup. I've downloaded the rar files from the official Microsoft site, used their .exe to generate an .iso file, and have mounted it to the system using...
This recent thread (Way of Performing Clean Install of Windows 8 OEM) (which also spawned this one--Marketplace Vote Win8 OEM Machine) identifies a number problems arising because of the way OEMs (particularly Dell) are installing Win8. The first thread, at its most fundamental level, deals with...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook