Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Launch Windows from SSD instead of the HD

  1. #11


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8


    Hm... I wrote in the very first posting that I uninstalled the SSD before
    sending it to the factory.
    Now I installed it again and wanted to boot my old Windows installation
    from it but can't select it in the BIOS.
    The "Windows Boot Manager" option shown in my screenshot just won't
    allow any change. (It's just showing the other/normal hard disk in brackets)

    Yet the SSD is shown in the BIOS info screen and accessible when booting
    from the manufacturer's default Windows installation on the built-in hard drive.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hm... I wrote in the very first posting that I uninstalled the SSD before
    sending it to the factory.
    Now I installed it again and wanted to boot my old Windows installation
    from it but can't select it in the BIOS.
    The "Windows Boot Manager" option shown in my screenshot just won't
    allow any change. (It's just showing the other/normal hard disk in brackets)

    Yet the SSD is shown in the BIOS info screen and accessible when booting
    from the manufacturer's default Windows installation on the built-in hard drive.
    OK, so if you think you gave a clear, concise, and thorough explanation of your actual issue in your original post, then its my fault for not being able to understand your issue from the start! So, all those adjustments you made were not actually necessary because of the clarity of your original post. So, I apologize for asking for them because I should have been able to figure all that out from your first post. With that said, I offer my deepest apologies and I am quite sure that someone will be jumping right in to fix your issue very shortly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8


    I don't understand the hostility... but... yeah. Ok.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    I don't understand the hostility... but... yeah. Ok.
    What are you talking about? I just placed all the blame directly on myself and apologized to you and now you are saying I'm hostile? OK, I'm sorry for everything. It's all my fault. You are right and I am wrong. What the heck else do you want me to say? I tried to help and I couldn't. Just hang in there and someone else will be along to fix you right up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8


    Thanks for your help so far, my2cents.

    I'll try to find a solution myself then and post it if I find it... maybe Google will lead some people here.

    So far for the record:
    Booting the manufacturer's HD Windows and adding the SSD's Windows Installation with EasyBCD to
    the boot menu didn't work either... the screen stayed black.

    Also it seems like Lenovo delivers the Y580 with different BIOS versions. I have a "newer" one now,
    not available at the support page. So the BIOS menu looks different now.

    2 pictures of BIOS screens:
    The first is one I found in the Lenovo forum (also a Y580 notebook, I think it shows the boot setup
    screen of the BIOS version I used before) and below the screen I am shown -> No way to setup
    priorities there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BIOS_mine.jpg   BIOS_other.jpg  
    Last edited by Samhayne; 30 Oct 2013 at 06:23.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8


    Hey Theog,

    it seems like nothing ISRT related is really applicable for this Notebook.

    In Windows the "Accelerate" tab isn't shown. The drive is also not marked as "accelerated"
    (I'm referring to this picture: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...ata-isrt-3.jpg)


    In the BIOS there isn't an option either.

    Also swtching from UEFI to legacy mode won't make the SSD show up.

    I'll attach all BIOS screens now for total clarity:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0193.JPG   IMG_0194.JPG   IMG_0195.JPG   IMG_0196.JPG   IMG_0197.JPG  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    As you are in AHCI mode, why would the Msata show.

    Check the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting for the IRST.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    As you are in AHCI mode, why would the Msata show.

    Check the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting for the IRST.
    Hm... it's set to AHCI, true... why shouldn't it work?
    I looked in your linked guide.... it says I should even change TO AHCI:

    First you need to prepare your BIOS for installing windows on the MSATA drive.
    We need to disable the Intel Smart Response Technology.

    Tap F2 at the startup to
    enter BIOS. Under SATA OPERATION change to AHCI from ISRT.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey Theog,

    it seems like nothing ISRT related is really applicable for this Notebook.

    In Windows the "Accelerate" tab isn't shown. The drive is also not marked as "accelerated"
    (I'm referring to this picture: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...ata-isrt-3.jpg)


    In the BIOS there isn't an option either.

    Also swtching from UEFI to legacy mode won't make the SSD show up.

    I'll attach all BIOS screens now for total clarity:
    Click image for larger version

    Resetting UEFI to Legacy will stop Windows 8 booting.

    Also try reseating the Msata drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Launch Windows from SSD instead of the HD
Related Threads
Gents and Gals: First, I have detected no less than 3 three Windows 8 forums. Sorry, I just don't understand. Are these sanctioned by Microsoft, are they independent, what ? I had been posting on: www.­forumswindows8.­com/­forum.­php Today it is apparently off line and I...
HP Quick Launch for Windows 8? in Drivers & Hardware
I have an HP Envy 4t Ultrabook, and for Windows 7, I could install the Quick Launch software update to get functionality of the Wireless button, and other function keys. I see on HP's site they offer it for Windows 7, but not for Windows 8...for my Ultrabook. Before I try to install the software,...
Hi, I had this trouble in windows 7, and now in windows 8, in that clicking quicklaunch >> initially comes up with a all white area ( instead of populated with icons and their app names). There are about 22 there, but should that cause a delay of about 30 or so seconds for list to be populated ?...
This was even more shocking: Read more: Microsoft: Four million Windows 8 upgrades sold since launch | ZDNet
story here: Windows 8 Apps Get Pre-Launch Tweaks - Software - Windows 8 -
Windows 8 set for October 2012 launch - Pocket-lint
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook