Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My product key doesn't work

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1

    My product key doesn't work


    Hi!

    I've bought Windows 8 when it was first released, but reinstalled Windows 7 again. Now I want to install Windows 8.1, but I get an error saying my product key is invalid. I've tried multiple product keys (We own multiple computers, two of which have Win8 installed), but I get the same error with all of them.

    Does anyone know how I can fix this?

    Thanks! :-)

    Edit: Because none of my product keys don't work, I can't install Windows 8 to further install Windows 8.1.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    It won't work, at least when you start a clean install !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
    It won't work, at least when you start a clean install !
    What won't work? Installing Windows 8.1 from Windows 7?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by eirikff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
    It won't work, at least when you start a clean install !
    What won't work? Installing Windows 8.1 from Windows 7?
    Learn some English.
    Win8 product key will NOT work to install Win8.1 from scratch(clean install from boot media like USB or DVD).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirikff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
    It won't work, at least when you start a clean install !
    What won't work? Installing Windows 8.1 from Windows 7?
    Learn some English.
    Win8 product key will NOT work to install Win8.1 from scratch(clean install from boot media like USB or DVD).
    Sorry for misunderstanding, I'm not native English.

    So in order to install Windows 8.1, I'll have to first install Win8, then upgrade to Win8.1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    If they are upgrade keys and you are trying to clean install 8.0 try this, Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
    If you are trying to clean install 8.1, it will not accept a Windows 8.0 key for installation. You have to use a Windows 8.1 key to do the install. There are leaked install keys that will let you do that. They let you install but will not activate. Once its installed though, you can use a Windows 8 key to activate. Windows 8 upgrade keys may not work though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by eirikff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirikff View Post

    What won't work? Installing Windows 8.1 from Windows 7?
    Learn some English.
    Win8 product key will NOT work to install Win8.1 from scratch(clean install from boot media like USB or DVD).
    Sorry for misunderstanding, I'm not native English.

    So in order to install Windows 8.1, I'll have to first install Win8, then upgrade to Win8.1?
    YES, unfortunately !
    You have to install 8, then from 8 you upgrade to 8.1, which is stupid if you ask me !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If they are upgrade keys and you are trying to clean install 8.0 try this, Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
    If you are trying to clean install 8.1, it will not accept a Windows 8.0 key for installation. You have to use a Windows 8.1 key to do the install. There are leaked install keys that will let you do that. They let you install but will not activate. Once its installed though, you can use a Windows 8 key to activate. Windows 8 upgrade keys may not work though.
    It would be great to share those "leaked keys".

    Of course everybody knows they will not activate, but just to help overcome the first install obstacle. I can't see any piracy here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If they are upgrade keys and you are trying to clean install 8.0 try this, Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
    If you are trying to clean install 8.1, it will not accept a Windows 8.0 key for installation. You have to use a Windows 8.1 key to do the install. There are leaked install keys that will let you do that. They let you install but will not activate. Once its installed though, you can use a Windows 8 key to activate. Windows 8 upgrade keys may not work though.
    Thank you, this solved it! I downloaded the "Install Windows 8" from Windows' website.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    The leaked keys were posted in a thread here a while ago. I can't find it now, it had to do with the RTM ISO's being leaked to the internet. It looks like you solved your problem anyway.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
My product key doesn't work
Related Threads
Title: My stereo mix doesn't work well My PC: SP 2000-2b49Ca, window8 Audio: Realtek driver: 6.0.1.6837 (installed sept 21 2013) Panel settings: External Mic: ready, level 75+20dB, 3,5mm connector Microphone: ready, level 75+20dB, ATAPI internal connector Stereo mix: default, level 75, no...
Solved Search doesn't work in Performance & Maintenance
My search feature isn't working.:shock: This is the main search that should start with you typing while the metro screen is up. Some time ago it just disappeared. I've tried a couple of things to get it to work, but I can't. Can anyone run me through trouble shooting it? Thanks, Gn13l
PLEASE HELP! Upgraded to Win 8 Pro yesterday. Had gotten email from Microsoft with product key for adding WMC. Went to add it and when it was processing it was unsuccessful and rolled back the installation to "original" settings. I now realize that was because I had not properly...
I might be wrong, but I believe for a limited time you can download Media Center as an app until next year. I'm currently running Windows 8 Pro on my PC and is activated. When I enter the Product Key into the ''add features'' bar it says the key won't work. Does this mean Windows 8 Pro can't...
GPU Sometimes Doesn't Work in Graphic Cards
Hey all, Not sure where to post this so thought I would try here. Ever since I've put together my new PC I have had an issue with my wireless card. Sometimes when I start up my PC the driver doesn't load for it, I can see it in the device manager list but the driver hasn't loaded and when I...
WIN + Tab doesn't work but ALT + Tab does Has anyone else observed this?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook