Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

  1. #571


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by snoxer View Post
    I have a windows 8 pro OEM DVD with key which I used to install on my computer at launch.. I upgraded to 8.1 through the store for free.. now i'm trying to reinstall windows but everything I've tried I get an error. starting from the dvd and trying to reset or refresh gives me a files missing error.
    You need Windows 8.1 installation media, if you want to reset/refresh Windows 8.1. You can't reset/refresh Windows 8, because you don't have OEM computer with Windows 8 preinstalled. If you want Windows 8, then you need do a clean install Windows 8.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #572


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by snoxer View Post
    I've read through so many pages trying to figure out my problem I decided to just ask.. I have a windows 8 pro OEM DVD with key which I used to install on my computer at launch.. I upgraded to 8.1 through the store for free.. now i'm trying to reinstall windows but everything I've tried I get an error. starting from the dvd and trying to reset or refresh gives me a files missing error. don't see any way to reformat and install windows 8.. other than reset that won't work. only thing I can think of is to switch hard drives and install 8 on an empty one and then erase my current main drive and then switch back and try installing but that seems like a long way to go just to reinstall the windows I bought.. and i'm not even sure it will work.. are these problems because it's oem? it doesn't actually say oem on the dvd and it's not a typical HP or dell dvd.. bought it from tigerdirect.
    I'm confused, are you trying to go back to 8.0? Or to reinstall 8.1?

    If the machine you bought at TD was an out-of-the-box machine, it came with an OS already installed... in which case there should be a brand name on the DVD. If not, the machine was custom-built, and the DVD is a retail version with simply Windows branding on it. But either way, the disk should be capable of giving you a clean install, on whatever drive you wish. If not, then it's damaged in some way. Personally, I'd take it back to TD and have them replace it.

    If you're interested in going straight to a clean install of 8.1 -- I'm not sure what's out there, yet. I've been so happy with mine that I haven't looked back. And I make backups all the time, so I can always restore that way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #573


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by snoxer View Post
    I've read through so many pages trying to figure out my problem I decided to just ask.. I have a windows 8 pro OEM DVD with key which I used to install on my computer at launch.. I upgraded to 8.1 through the store for free.. now i'm trying to reinstall windows but everything I've tried I get an error. starting from the dvd and trying to reset or refresh gives me a files missing error. don't see any way to reformat and install windows 8.. other than reset that won't work. only thing I can think of is to switch hard drives and install 8 on an empty one and then erase my current main drive and then switch back and try installing but that seems like a long way to go just to reinstall the windows I bought.. and i'm not even sure it will work.. are these problems because it's oem? it doesn't actually say oem on the dvd and it's not a typical HP or dell dvd.. bought it from tigerdirect.
    To clean install:
    1) Clean the HD Drive, using Step one in this tutorial:
    SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation - Windows 7 Help Forums
    than
    2a) Clean install with the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk.

    2b) Clean Install - Windows 8

    2c) UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #574


    Posts : 6
    win 8.1 Pro


    I want to get to 8.1 at the end, but read I had to reinstall 8 first since that's the one I bought. but when I start up off the dvd and go to reset or refresh I get errors.. one was missing files.. other was disk is locked. why would it say disk locked? i'm assuming it means the hard drive has protection on it.. is there something in 8.1 that I have to turn off?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #575


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    but when I start up off the dvd and go to reset or refresh I get errors
    Which dvd 8.0 or 8.1?

    is there something in 8.1 that I have to turn off
    Does that mean you have already installed 8.1 ?

    Not remotely clear what you are doing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #576


    Posts : 6
    win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    but when I start up off the dvd and go to reset or refresh I get errors
    Which dvd 8.0 or 8.1?

    is there something in 8.1 that I have to turn off
    Does that mean you have already installed 8.1 ?

    Not remotely clear what you are doing.
    i said earlier that i have the win 8 dvd and installed 8.1 through the store for free.
    i'm starting off the win 8 dvd and trying to do a clean install but getting a disk locked error. i also tried refresh but can't since 8.1 is installed and only have the 8 dvd.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #577


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Follow post one.

    How to download Windows 8.1 ISO with a Windows 8 key.
    How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #578


    Posts : 6
    win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Follow post one.

    How to download Windows 8.1 ISO with a Windows 8 key.
    How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.
    I tried that too and the windows 8 setup file wouldn't accept my key.. I assumed it was because it was oem but everyone says it should work. tried typing the key a few times. it's genuine and only ever used on this pc. I've never had this much trouble reinstalling an OS. i'm going to try my win 7 dvd to format it and see if I can go from there
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #579


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Use a Windows 8.1 key.

    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.

    Quote Originally Posted by theog
    Note   Note
    Note that although you may previously purchase a legit Windows 8 product key, the product key is unlikely able to be used to install or upgrade to Windows 8.1. Hence you will need the following product key to initiate the install or upgrade:



    Windows 8 (core): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT


    Windows 8 PRO: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB



    The keys above will let you install 8.1, but that's all it does. After installation is complete, you will still have to activate with your own Windows 8 key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #580


    Posts : 6
    win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Use a Windows 8.1 key.

    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.

    Quote Originally Posted by theog
    Note   Note
    Note that although you may previously purchase a legit Windows 8 product key, the product key is unlikely able to be used to install or upgrade to Windows 8.1. Hence you will need the following product key to initiate the install or upgrade:



    Windows 8 (core): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT


    Windows 8 PRO: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB



    The keys above will let you install 8.1, but that's all it does. After installation is complete, you will still have to activate with your own Windows 8 key.

    >.< it accepts the key then says we can't connect right now.. i uninstalled my virus app and turned firewall off.. loaded a website to make sure the net was working.. this is messed up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO
Related Threads
Okay, i have a key to activate my copy of windows 8.1 but i can't find where to download the stock iso. If anyone could link me that would be great
Solved Need Windows 8.1 ISO download in Installation & Setup
Where can I get, resume-able, legitimate copy of the ISO? I have poor connection and there's zero percent of success without resume-able download function. This is what I hate about digital purchase. Only giving a key and end of story. /gg
so i was downloading a game on steam and i had 800kb download then i went into chrome tried to save a picture and i had 30 kb even when steam was completly closed :confused:
Twice now, I have clicked on the download button in the App Store (used a link obtained from the Verge article). My screen just jumps to the main App Store screen, and I see no indication that anything is downloading or in progress. How can I verify that a download is in progress? Do I have...
Hello. Iím running Windows 8 Pro 32-bit and need some assistance upgrading to the 64-bit version. When Windows 8 first came out, I purchased the $40 version via download. I was under the impression (and still am) that my product key will work for both the 32-bit versions and the 64-bit...
Solved Windows 8 Download in General Support
Hi guys, I am a student and have access to the MSDNAA for my University, i have started downloading Windows 8 and has stuck at 90% and am in desperate need of Windows 8 to do some testing. Just wondering if there was an active link for the Windows 8 BETA? as i could do with it soon rather than...
windows 8 download help in General Support
hi all, sorry if this i a noob question but i have not long built a new computer and installed windows 8 release preview, from what i have read i need system builder license, where can i buy and download this as i cant seem to find it, thanks jason
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook