Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Besically "Yes" or "No" to W8 code on W8.1 evaluation copy

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    My theory is that, because the leaked ISOs were originally intended for OEMs, they were intended for installation on a new PC without needing to worry about Upgrading some previous installation. Therefore the current ISOs aren't good at upgrading.

    My hope is that with the General Availability release next week, whatever appears will have a decent upgrade mechanism built in which copes with embedded keys, 8.1 Preview PCs, and such-like.
    No, the leaked ISO was intended for OEM, however it depends on the key you used to activate it, whether it's a OEM key, or Retail, or VLK. The ISO works for upgrade however.
    VL Pro is a different ISO from the 8 multi edition ISO, it is on TechNet anyway. 8.1 TechNet keys are Retail. The 8.1 multi edition ISO will accept OEM keys though.
    Wait, so you can't insert a VLK to the Retail/OEM ISO? It does fine on Windows 7.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Japan
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8.1 Build 9431


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    You can't go from the 8.1 Preview to the RTM (final) though the Windows store. Not as far as I know anyway. If you could everybody would be doing it to get 8.1 for free so Microsoft will block that. You also can't change the Preview to the final just by entering a product code, you have to reinstall with the RTM install media.
    Thanks alphanumeric;
    1) Your first sentence you don`t seem sure about.

    2) How would I/anyone get Windows 8.1 for "Free" if I/anyone try and buy through the store; or put in a code for Windows 8 which I/anyone have already bought? It doesn`t make sense what you say.

    3) I get the last part of your comment; but don`t understand "Why"; even though I accept that that is what was implied in the download message when I went to install the evaluation copy.

    4) It should be easy enough to go to the Windows System properties and "ENTER A NEW PRODUCT CODE" to Update W8.1 Preview to RTM with a new Windows 8 Code this customer has bought and paid for (and which is `Free` to update to W8.1 RTM (final).

    But I understand that there may be hidden reasons for Microsofts` thinking.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by rogerthat1945 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    You can't go from the 8.1 Preview to the RTM (final) though the Windows store. Not as far as I know anyway. If you could everybody would be doing it to get 8.1 for free so Microsoft will block that. You also can't change the Preview to the final just by entering a product code, you have to reinstall with the RTM install media.
    Thanks alphanumeric;
    1) Your first sentence you don`t seem sure about.

    2) How would I/anyone get Windows 8.1 for "Free" if I/anyone try and buy through the store; or put in a code for Windows 8 which I/anyone have already bought? It doesn`t make sense what you say.

    3) I get the last part of your comment; but don`t understand "Why"; even though I accept that that is what was implied in the download message when I went to install the evaluation copy.

    4) It should be easy enough to go to the Windows System properties and "ENTER A NEW PRODUCT CODE" to Update W8.1 Preview to RTM with a new Windows 8 Code this customer has bought and paid for (and which is `Free` to update to W8.1 RTM (final).

    But I understand that there may be hidden reasons for Microsofts` thinking.
    That statement turned out to be incorrect. You can go from the preview to the final though the store. You'll need your Windows 8 product key when you update to the final edition of Windows 8.1 from the preview. Right now you can download the Preview, install and run it with the Microsoft provided product code, for free. My thinking was if you then went to the store and upgraded to the final you'd get the final for free. I figured Microsoft would just block upgrades from the Preview. What they have done though is just ask you for a valid Windows 8 Product code to stop a free upgrade. I think the Preview was actually blocked originally, but after complaints Microsoft relented. Anyway I got it wrong.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 11 Oct 2013 at 08:46.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post

    No, the leaked ISO was intended for OEM, however it depends on the key you used to activate it, whether it's a OEM key, or Retail, or VLK. The ISO works for upgrade however.
    VL Pro is a different ISO from the 8 multi edition ISO, it is on TechNet anyway. 8.1 TechNet keys are Retail. The 8.1 multi edition ISO will accept OEM keys though.
    Wait, so you can't insert a VLK to the Retail/OEM ISO? It does fine on Windows 7.
    I don't know, haven't tried it. I was just pointing out that TechNet lists a separate ISO for VL. Enterprise is a separate download too. The difference might be as simple as an ei.cfg file edit. I haven't compared one to the other to see what might be different.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Japan
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8.1 Build 9431


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerthat1945 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    You can't go from the 8.1 Preview to the RTM (final) though the Windows store. Not as far as I know anyway. If you could everybody would be doing it to get 8.1 for free so Microsoft will block that. You also can't change the Preview to the final just by entering a product code, you have to reinstall with the RTM install media.
    Thanks alphanumeric;
    1) Your first sentence you don`t seem sure about.

    2) How would I/anyone get Windows 8.1 for "Free" if I/anyone try and buy through the store; or put in a code for Windows 8 which I/anyone have already bought? It doesn`t make sense what you say.

    3) I get the last part of your comment; but don`t understand "Why"; even though I accept that that is what was implied in the download message when I went to install the evaluation copy.

    4) It should be easy enough to go to the Windows System properties and "ENTER A NEW PRODUCT CODE" to Update W8.1 Preview to RTM with a new Windows 8 Code this customer has bought and paid for (and which is `Free` to update to W8.1 RTM (final).

    But I understand that there may be hidden reasons for Microsofts` thinking.
    That statement turned out to be incorrect. You can go from the preview to the final though the store.
    So; thats a fairly solid "Yes" `We can use a newly bought unused Windows 8 Pro key by going through the store/upgrade within Windows Control Panel UPGRADE.

    PHEWEeee.... Im happy MS made it so easy.

    You'll need your Windows 8 product key when you update to the final edition of Windows 8.1 from the preview.
    Here I am running Build 9431; ready to upgrade using my Windows 8 PRO key from the unopened box from Amazon..

    Right now you can download the Preview, install and run it with the Microsoft provided product code, for free.
    Been there a month. Still here posting on it.

    My thinking was if you then went to the store and upgraded to the final you'd get the final for free. I figured Microsoft would just block upgrades from the Preview. What they have done though is just ask you for a valid Windows 8 Product code to stop a free upgrade. I think the Preview was actually blocked originally, but after complaints Microsoft relented. Anyway I got it wrong.
    Microsoft `relented` ??

    You mean they actually have humans in the organisation these days?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

    VL Pro is a different ISO from the 8 multi edition ISO, it is on TechNet anyway. 8.1 TechNet keys are Retail. The 8.1 multi edition ISO will accept OEM keys though.
    Wait, so you can't insert a VLK to the Retail/OEM ISO? It does fine on Windows 7.
    I don't know, haven't tried it. I was just pointing out that TechNet lists a separate ISO for VL. Enterprise is a separate download too. The difference might be as simple as an ei.cfg file edit. I haven't compared one to the other to see what might be different.
    Well i know that Enterprise versions do need another ISO for install, however i don't think that Pro VL version needs a different ISO to install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Besically "Yes" or "No" to W8 code on W8.1 evaluation copy
Related Threads
Hello My Brand new Laptop: Lenovo g505 after upgrading it to windows 8.1 from MS Apps store now i am not able to connect to internet i get "limited" or "No Internet Access". i have tried to re install the driver no luck Lenovo support suggests to do factory rest but i dont want to go back...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi guys, as most of you will be aware with the show desktop feature in the windows, which in the system tray on bottom right of your screen. I need a tweak or registry edit to make it do "Win + M" Minimize all Windows, instead of "Win + D" show desktop. Reason is it hides my gadgets and...
Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 and I'd like to add to the MAIN menu of context menu (just right-clicking) the options to create a New Folder and a New Text Document. Right now I have to go to the "New" option and then select Folder or Text Document. Thanks! :party:
As the title states, I was wondering how I would do that? Because I really want to add a custom ".tga" 'close' button to my windows theme. I am using WindowBlinds: (link) - Skin the Windows desktop interface with WindowBlinds WindowBlinds let's me edit and make my own theme by using their own...
"Evaluation Copy" watermark in General Support
Hello, I have exactly the same problem, however, i upgraded from 8.1 Preview (which was previusly upgraded from 8). All updates where made through Windows Store. My Windows 8.1 Pro is activated and running just fine, except for this "Evaluation Copy" watermark. Just remarking that this is NOT the...
So got windows 8 Dev installed so far so good, I thought I would like the left screen bump to go to last app or program used feature till I installed some games and tried to play them suddenly my left side of my screen is no good if needing to scroll to the side say in a game like Starcraft II,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook