Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Windows 8.1 upgrade

  1. #71


    Mission, TX
    Posts : 96
    windows 8 Pro


    Hi theog I have not gotten to a point to do a restore. Macrium so far seems to be well known. I have seen them mentioned on this with Brink when in his steps to create image and rescue cd's he has listed their name. He is a MVP with Microsoft.
    I am not rushing into this.
    thanks for keeping me thinking and checking everything out.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    under secure boot you cannot do an image restore as it locks out cd/dvd.
    Windows 8 imaging will restore image with ENABLE Secure Boot & UEFI.

    I would look for a 3rd party Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.
    Which is signed by Microsoft.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    MD
    Posts : 865
    Windows 10 Pro x 64

    Imaging


    Larry
    I owe you a very big apology. I was not aware you were using UEFI not the old BIOS and I am do not have a Win 8 machine although I have Win 8.
    I am sorry for confusing you.
    Perhaps you could let me know how to set cd boot order to find your image to recover when you have all the facts.

    Are you saying the video tells all the steps to set boot order to recover an image from the cd except it does not show how to reset the changes?

    I know under boot you enable "launch CSM" and under security you disable secure boot control.

    It seems very confusing. I hope someone here jumps in and helps us.
    Peter
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    MD
    Posts : 865
    Windows 10 Pro x 64

    imaging


    2 quick points;
    1-have you found a place to both disable secure boot and enable legacy?

    2-I saw a picture of a win 8 machine with UEFI where following advanced you find a selection to recover an image. Do you see that?
    I wonder if you still have to do any more than just this to recover the image?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    MD
    Posts : 865
    Windows 10 Pro x 64

    imaging


    Larry
    I tried to edit my last post but was too late.

    Do you agree with this so far;

    Change pc settings, general, advanced startup =restart. Now troubleshoot,advanced options, and see both recover an image and UEFI settings. ?? I wonder if here you could choose recover an image and it would workor would you still have to go to UEFI? Have you tried it?
    Next, in the UEFI see if you have legacy and if so enable it as it would be theeasy way to go like old days.
    If not, put disc in;
    Boot tab = enable 'launch CSM'
    Security = disable 'secure boot control'
    save/exit =reboot
    Now start over; see above =trouble shoot, advanced, UEFI
    ??Do you now look under boot or save and exit for the disc in the boot order?
    Recover the image then when done = reset the two you adjusted CSM and secureboot control

    Tutorial for UEFI boot

    If you have any information that would help me please let me know as I do not now have a UEFI machine but want to learn.
    Do you know if I need Bartpe instead of Linux for this?
    Thank you
    Peter


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM9UyNcSEU0
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    If you use Windows imaging or 3rd party Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot, & is signed by Microsoft.
    The software will use WinPE4 which is for Windows 8, & you will have no need to reset the UEFI/BIOS firmware.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Mission, TX
    Posts : 96
    windows 8 Pro

    Windows 8.1 upgrade


    Good morning Peter2
    First off I now have Macrium standard edition working just fine. I have created both rescue dvd's Linux and windows.
    it would not take new cd-r or dvd-r kept telling me to insert a writable one. so I also use dvd-rw and so I formatted two of them and they worked just fine. I have created several images just to see them created.

    Now Dana who made the video in the link you sent me has written me several times because it does not work so far to set a ATAPI cd/dvd as the drive to boot when you put in a rescue dvd. We are working on it.

    do a bing search for C03577594 as this is the ackee bios that is in my machine and also the motherboard.

    they show pictures of the boot options in the bios and how to change it. doesn't work. also I have a section from a manual on the hp site where you put in your model and serial number and the part in there on changing boot options on uefi and legacy does not work.

    I did the parts from Dana's video on how to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot options.
    and that is as far as we have gotten.
    this morning at 3am I took a picture of the boot options and sent it to him. also the article from HP about changing the boot options.
    also after I finished up loading the pictures to the computer I now get an error that points to usb not recognized and to put it back in. can't load my picture folder with the windows program live gallery anymore.
    I will be having a phone contact with this higher up dept. at HP about all that is going on.
    uefi is a lot of trouble and nothing seems to go as it should. HP support don't know anything about it.
    Larry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Mission, TX
    Posts : 96
    windows 8 Pro


    theog thank you for the advice. I did create a rescue dvd this morning and will check out the winPE4. at this point I will not do a image restore until I am very sure that it will work.

    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    If you use Windows imaging or 3rd party Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot, & is signed by Microsoft.
    The software will use WinPE4 which is for Windows 8, & you will have no need to reset the UEFI/BIOS firmware.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Mission, TX
    Posts : 96
    windows 8 Pro


    Peter2 I got this quote this morning
    Originally Posted by theog If you use Windows imaging or 3rd party Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot, & is signed by Microsoft.
    The software will use WinPE4 which is for Windows 8, & you will have no need to reset the UEFI/BIOS firmware.
    I think a lot of your concerns will go away. I also talked to Richard the case mgr. from HP AMS TCO Escalations Team just before lunch and he concurs with this. I also sent the quote to Macrium to verify. I know that the winPE rescue will load and I had it start
    for me but when it said loading windows programs I got out of it as I did not want to destroy my Windows 8. actually all that would have happened is a screen would appear that would ask for answers to what and where I wanted to recover.
    So I did write to Dana. I want to go back to the beginning and backup everything then re install win 8 pro and see how things go.
    Larry


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter2 View Post
    Larry
    I tried to edit my last post but was too late.

    Do you agree with this so far;

    Change pc settings, general, advanced startup =restart. Now troubleshoot,advanced options, and see both recover an image and UEFI settings. ?? I wonder if here you could choose recover an image and it would workor would you still have to go to UEFI? Have you tried it?
    Next, in the UEFI see if you have legacy and if so enable it as it would be theeasy way to go like old days.
    If not, put disc in;
    Boot tab = enable 'launch CSM'
    Security = disable 'secure boot control'
    save/exit =reboot
    Now start over; see above =trouble shoot, advanced, UEFI
    ??Do you now look under boot or save and exit for the disc in the boot order?
    Recover the image then when done = reset the two you adjusted CSM and secureboot control

    Tutorial for UEFI boot

    If you have any information that would help me please let me know as I do not now have a UEFI machine but want to learn.
    Do you know if I need Bartpe instead of Linux for this?
    Thank you
    Peter


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM9UyNcSEU0
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    MD
    Posts : 865
    Windows 10 Pro x 64


    I just hosed my pc trying to make a Bartpe disc and after reinstalling the Win 8 I have no keyboard mouse etc. I am going to reinstall the 2 win 7 dvds that came with the pc then after that it is considered a dead machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Mission, TX
    Posts : 96
    windows 8 Pro


    That is sorrowful news! I reinstalled my windows 8 then upgraded it to pro and then since I now have the BIOS set back to its defaults I got a note from Dana he said to try power up hold the f9 key and when you get the boot options all I had to do was move the arrow down to cddvdw hit the enter key and Macrium came up. be sure you put the rescue dvd in just before you power up. also I created the windows one and it only took 5 min. or so.
    pretty neat huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter2 View Post
    I just hosed my pc trying to make a Bartpe disc and after reinstalling the Win 8 I have no keyboard mouse etc. I am going to reinstall the 2 win 7 dvds that came with the pc then after that it is considered a dead machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 upgrade
Related Threads
Yesterday, I clean-installed Windows 8 Pro x86 on an old Dell Vostro 1400 laptop which had been running Windows 7 Ultimate, and it activated and ran fine, without even a single exclamation point in Device Manager. I applied the update necessary to make the Store offer 8.1 and proceeded to install...
When I buy windows 8, can i still upgrade? in Windows Updates & Activation
Hello, when I buy only windows 8 right now, will I be able to upgrade to windows 8.1 for free or it was only for users which had windows 8 before 8.1 went out. I plan on buying windows 8 from this site: https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-8-professional-32-64-bit-cd-key-global.html It is...
Upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1 in Installation & Setup
Hello, I am new to this forum, an 86 years old computer enthusiast. My problem: The upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1 stops after the stage "setting up for a few more things" and reverts to windows 8. Any help & comments will be greatly appreciated.:D zsmi
Hi I have windows 7 and bought windows 8 upgrade discs (still unopened), I have no SSD now but want to buy one. What should i Do install win 8 first then the SSD? Or the other way around? What's better What will my recovery options be if I get a nasty virus? Also once my ssd is in it can't fit...
Hi, Can I use my windows 7 on another pc after I upgrade to Windows 8? Thanks, Joe
I have a Windows 7 Premium upgrade that was upgraded from Vista on my Dell Inspiron 530 PC. Can I upgrade from this to Windows 8 Pro, without having to remove Windows 7? Or will I have to go back To Vista to install the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. If the latter is the case, can I take my PC back to...
I installed Win 8 RC Build 8400 over Win 7 on my "experimental" spare laptop. I have seen web posts that you cannot directly upgrade Win 8 RC to Win 8 RTM, without going through some special steps and modifying one of the install files. My question is is if I purchase WIN 8 Pro on Oct 26 will I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook