Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Win8 disk partitions

  1. #1


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 x64

    Win8 disk partitions


    NEED Help! My english is weak.
    Recently, i installed Win8 x64 but had repeat the whole process again, because IDE/AHCI drive setting!!
    My question is: Can I have my OS without some partitions? I mean, can I divide my drive(HDD) like in good old days: System reserved 350MB, Drive C:....etc. My point is, I want Windows logo and those circling dots, but not System manufacturer logo when booting system. Can I delete MSR partition??

    Thanks in advance! I'll appreciate to reply in my e-mail.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Mokate View Post
    NEED Help! My english is weak.
    Recently, i installed Win8 x64 but had repeat the whole process again, because IDE/AHCI drive setting!!
    My question is: Can I have my OS without some partitions? I mean, can I divide my drive(HDD) like in good old days: System reserved 350MB, Drive C:....etc. My point is, I want Windows logo and those circling dots, but not System manufacturer logo when booting system. Can I delete MSR partition??

    Thanks in advance! I'll appreciate to reply in my e-mail.
    If you have a UEFI installation, you will not see the Win logo and circling dots. You'll most commonly see the manufacturer's logo; however, you may have an option (in your BIOS) to disable that logo and get just a black screen on boot.

    On the other hand, the Windows logo is a clear sign that you have a Legacy installation because the boot process has been handed-off to the Win 8 boot loader.

    For a UEFI installation, partitioning is required and can be done automatically by the Win 8 installer; however, for practical purposes you will end up with one big C drive.

    Hope our suggestions help. good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    The Windows Logo will show on Legacy & UEFI installs.

    On my OEM manufacturer's test rig.

    Fast UEFI/BIOS boot = OEM manufacturer Logo.

    Disabled Fast UEFI/BIOS boot = Windows Logo.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    If you install with UEFI you'll see the manufacturers OEM logo instead of the Windows 8 logo. I get the ASUS logo on my laptop (UEFI) but just the Windows Logo on my ASUS desktop that only has a standard BIOS. I haven't seen any BIOS option to disable or change the Windows boot LOGO on my laptop. It has pretty limited BIOS options though. That Logo is loaded by Windows anyway so I'm not sure the BIOS settings would actually have any effect on it anyway.
    With GPT partition table partitioning shouldn't be a problem. If you MBR you could run into issues if you try to create a lot of partitions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you install with UEFI you'll see the manufacturers OEM logo instead of the Windows 8 logo. I get the ASUS logo on my laptop (UEFI) but just the Windows Logo on my ASUS desktop that only has a standard BIOS. I haven't seen any BIOS option to disable or change the Windows boot LOGO on my laptop. It has pretty limited BIOS options though. That Logo is loaded by Windows anyway so I'm not sure the BIOS settings would actually have any effect on it anyway.
    With GPT partition table partitioning shouldn't be a problem. If you MBR you could run into issues if you try to create a lot of partitions.
    Hi alphanumeric,

    I was referring to the ability to disable the manufacturer's logo.

    If you have a UEFI installation, you will not see the Win logo and circling dots. You'll most commonly see the manufacturer's logo; however, you may have an option (in your BIOS) to disable that logo and get just a black screen on boot.
    Sorry if my wording wasn't clear. Anyway, I agree with everything you have said. Cheers!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you install with UEFI you'll see the manufacturers OEM logo instead of the Windows 8 logo. I get the ASUS logo on my laptop (UEFI) but just the Windows Logo on my ASUS desktop that only has a standard BIOS. I haven't seen any BIOS option to disable or change the Windows boot LOGO on my laptop. It has pretty limited BIOS options though. That Logo is loaded by Windows anyway so I'm not sure the BIOS settings would actually have any effect on it anyway.
    With GPT partition table partitioning shouldn't be a problem. If you MBR you could run into issues if you try to create a lot of partitions.
    Hi alphanumeric,

    I was referring to the ability to disable the manufacturer's logo.

    If you have a UEFI installation, you will not see the Win logo and circling dots. You'll most commonly see the manufacturer's logo; however, you may have an option (in your BIOS) to disable that logo and get just a black screen on boot.
    Sorry if my wording wasn't clear. Anyway, I agree with everything you have said. Cheers!
    On my laptop with UEFI the Windows 8 logo that is usually above the circling dots is replaced with an ASUS logo. On my desktop PC that has an ASUS motherboard but no UEFI BIOS I see the Windows 8 logo above the circling dots. That's the logo I thought the OP was referring too. This is different from the BIOS full screen logo or splash screen that you can turn off, which is what I think you are referring to. On my wife's Acer laptop its an Acer logo that appears above the circling dots Windows boot screen, it also has UEFI BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    I guess I was trying to say the following:

    Legacy install gets the Win 8 logo - can't change that
    UEFI install gets manufacturer's logo -you can possibly disable that (see below)

    My UEFI BIOS has the option to disable the OEM logo on boot. If I set that option, I boot with a black screen. This option does not control the BIOS splash screen. The splash screen always appears normally and the manufacturer's logo appears after that. I can only assume that some UEFI BIOS's have that option and some do not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Just wanted to update my post with a small correction. OK, so I went back and tested my ability to disable the OEM logo in my UEFI BIOS and I ended up with something a bit different than I thought previously. Now, previously I referred to that option as a "disable/enable OEM logo" option; however, it is actually referred to as "disable/enable full screen logo" option in my specific BIOS.

    So, I disabled the full-screen logo option and to my complete surprise, I didn't get the "black screen" as I previously advised. On next boot, I actually saw the A-typical Windows 8 logo (just like the one displayed on a Legacy boot). I really thought I tested that previously so, again, Thoeg's one-liner advisory appears to be conditionally correct (at least in my case):

    The Windows Logo will show on Legacy & UEFI installs.
    Sorry for any confusion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Just wanted to update my post with a small correction. OK, so I went back and tested my ability to disable the OEM logo in my UEFI BIOS and I ended up with something a bit different than I thought previously. Now, previously I referred to that option as a "disable/enable OEM logo" option; however, it is actually referred to as "disable/enable full screen logo" option in my specific BIOS.

    So, I disabled the full-screen logo option and to my complete surprise, I didn't get the "black screen" as I previously advised. On next boot, I actually saw the A-typical Windows 8 logo (just like the one displayed on a Legacy boot). I really thought I tested that previously so, again, Thoeg's one-liner advisory appears to be conditionally correct (at least in my case):

    The Windows Logo will show on Legacy & UEFI installs.
    Sorry for any confusion.
    Ok, that sounds closer to how I figured it worked. Just to clarify does changing the BIOS "Show full screen Logo" option change what Windows 8 boot logo is displayed? The one above the circling dots. I can't test it myself as my laptop doesn't have a "Show full screen logo" BIOS option to turn on or off. My desktop PC does but it doesn't have UEFI BIOS so all I ever see is the Windows 8 boot logo on that PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Win8 disk partitions
Related Threads
Hello to all! Why windows 7 and windows 8 introduced a limitation when using Disk Management, and is NOT possible to create more than 3 Primary Partitions? However, using DiskPart from command line it is VERY possible, no warnings or notices. C:\Windows\system32>diskpart Microsoft...
Look at this screenshot and tell me how to get one partition instead F and H. 53842 Easeus needs bigger drive. to backup to. I think the one large one is unallocated. shown as disk 8. The way windows sees my external usb drive.
Hello All. :D The other day I purchased a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD for my ASUS N550JK laptop. My laptop's drive configuration (before replacing the drive with my new SSD) was the following: C: Samsung 830 256 GB SSD (OS, SATA Disk 1) D: HGST Travelstar 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD (DATA, SATA Disk...
Hello, so a few years ago i bought this pc and as Always i make 2 partitions one for backup and the other for windows and all the other stuff. So today i wanted to reinstall windows because the Disk 0 partition fitness was 0% and randomly freezing. as my other half was like 70-80% fitness (rated...
hi guys i want to resize my partitions and yesterday i use acronis disk director boot cd and saw a learning clip but when boot from cd , the acronis shows my partitions but said "unsuppoerted" and i could not resize them(all of the options were disabled) why?what is the problem?
Solved No disk partitions showing in Installation & Setup
Hi all, Having a lot of problems with a new Dell XPS 15 (L521X) which I finally got to boot after upgrading the RAM and it hanging on boot up. Once I got that fixed I decided I wanted to create an extra partition for dropbox to sit on. I used EASEUS Partition Master to split the 750GB main...
I installed Windows 8 with UEFI enabled in BIOS on a GPT SSD disk and was curious about the partitions the installation created. The disk was clean with no partitions before installing. (Note: I split the main partition afterwards so ignore the last partition in these screen shots). Windows 8...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook