Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Want to clone HDD for laptops

  1. #11


    Posts : 12
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You can clone, YES.
    But with no ACTIVATED software, do remember that the Gateway Windows 8 will self-activate within 4 hours of being on internet.
    Not quite sure what you mean by "Activated" software, unless you mean like Windows 8 OS. Do you mean software that is required to be activated to be used, or any software that requires an product key code?

    I don't believe I can "clone" the other laptops using the instructions given by Ztruker because the Bootable Rescue media disc failed at bootup. For what it's worth, the boot disc that I was using was made on the laptop that I made the image disk from. Do you think that I might need to make a boot disc from the laptop that I want to clone to? I don't think it should matter, should it? I think it has a lot to do with the UEFI. I went into BIOS (is it even called "bios" now if it is running uefi?) and moved the optical drive as the first boot sequence, but it still would not work. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I will have to set-up each laptop separately.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by bimfi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You can clone, YES.
    But with no ACTIVATED software, do remember that the Gateway Windows 8 will self-activate within 4 hours of being on internet.
    Not quite sure what you mean by "Activated" software, unless you mean like Windows 8 OS. Do you mean software that is required to be activated to be used, or any software that requires an product key code?

    I don't believe I can "clone" the other laptops using the instructions given by Ztruker because the Bootable Rescue media disc failed at bootup. For what it's worth, the boot disc that I was using was made on the laptop that I made the image disk from. Do you think that I might need to make a boot disc from the laptop that I want to clone to? I don't think it should matter, should it? I think it has a lot to do with the UEFI. I went into BIOS (is it even called "bios" now if it is running uefi?) and moved the optical drive as the first boot sequence, but it still would not work. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I will have to set-up each laptop separately.
    1) Your Gateway Windows 8 ACTIVATED licence is for one PC only.

    2) Any other software that requires to be activated or software that requires a product key code is for one PC only.
    (unless you have a three PC licence)

    3) The Windows Boot Manager should always be set first boot in BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    You got a little practical proble. Since those laptops came with a OEM license, you will have an activation problem if you transfer the license of one laptop to the next laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 12
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    You got a little practical proble. Since those laptops came with a OEM license, you will have an activation problem if you transfer the license of one laptop to the next laptop.
    I believe that is the main reason that I should give up on this venture. As you said, the OS came pre-installed and I don't have an installation disc to reinstall windows. It was worth a try, in theory. At least I know what to do if I want to upgrade these laptops to SSD drives in the future. Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions. Really appreciated!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by bimfi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    You got a little practical proble. Since those laptops came with a OEM license, you will have an activation problem if you transfer the license of one laptop to the next laptop.
    I believe that is the main reason that I should give up on this venture. As you said, the OS came pre-installed and I don't have an installation disc to reinstall windows. It was worth a try, in theory. At least I know what to do if I want to upgrade these laptops to SSD drives in the future. Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions. Really appreciated!
    information   Information

    We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
    & made the Startup Repair CD.
    Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
    System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8





    You can use the ACER version of
    Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
    warning   Warning
    Deleting the Recovery Partition is NOT RECOMMENDED



    Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

    How to make Acer Recovery disks.

    Using Acer Recovery Management to Restore Windows 8

    Create a Packard Bell Factory Default Backup in Windows 8


    Windows 8 - Create a Factory Default Backup - Acer Recovery Management - YouTube
    Windows 8 - Create a Drivers and Applications Backup - Acer Recovery Management - YouTube
    Windows 8 - Restore Windows With a USB Recovery Drive - YouTube

    You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:

    https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer
    or
    Acer | Recovery Media
    Check in Accessories
    or check the main web site.
    Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Now I'm confused (what's new). Isn't the key embedded in UEFI. Cloning the hard drive should not have any effect on that or is the key copied from UEFI to the hard drive during the manufacturers setup process before the computer is sold?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 12
    windows 7


    Yes, I did make a repair disc for each of the laptops. Don't feel alone Ztruker, I am confused also! Like you said, if the key is embedded in uefi, then it should be able to recognize that it is a genuine copy of windows 8. All said and done, I believe I will leave this potential can of worms alone. I already have most of the laptops configured the way I want them, plus I am on a tight schedule to have them ready to ship out. Once again, I do thank everyone who provided all this useful information. Maybe next time I will attempt to do this with my own PCs. Thanks!
    Last edited by bimfi; 07 Jul 2013 at 09:49. Reason: adding word for clarity
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 12
    windows 7


    "We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
    & made the Startup Repair CD. "


    I just wanted to have something clarified. When I first set up each laptop, I made sure to follow the instructions and went into the Gateway Recovery Management application and made repair discs. This, I assume, is the "OEM manufacturers Recovery Media" you spoke about. Then, when I read about also making a "Startup Repair CD", I was curious. So I searched and typed in recdisc which brought me to a different screen to make a "system recovery" disc. I made one of these, then realized that it was the exact same files as the repair disc. Am I correct, or are they different?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Want to clone HDD for laptops
Related Threads
Solved Image or Clone with Macrium? in Performance & Maintenance
I have created an image of my desktop W8.1 and the small partition before it with Macrium Reflect Free Edition. I have decided that instead of using the current 2.5" older SATA II SSD that I was going to use an mSATA (SATA III) as my boot drive. After the creation of the desktop image I noticed the...
choose which partitions to clone in Software and Apps
Hi, Is there a clone program that you can choose which partitions to clone instead of the whole HD?
Clone from SSD to HDD in Installation & Setup
Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I recently bought a new laptop and I want to take the SSD from my old laptop and put it in my new one. Normally not a problem but I have a lot on my SSD that I still want to be able to use on the old laptop so I was trying to clone it so I...
Clone or move W-7 and or 8 to new SSD in Installation & Setup
My system is a dual boot Widows 8.1, (default) and Windows 7 Pro on a partitioned 1TB. I want to keep the dual boot config but move my W-8 which is about all I use to a new Crucial M500 SSD,120GB and keep the 7 on the older drive, along with most of my data files. Am I dreaming or is something...
Solved Trying to Clone Win 8 on Dynamic Disk in Installation & Setup
I am trying to clone (not image) my pre-installed OEM Win 8 OS to a partition on another (external) hard drive using Paragon 12. The problem: my Win 8 OS is on dynamic disk and paragon does not work with Dynamic disk. How do I solve this problem? Thanks!
Hi there I always thought that CLONE Disk really did Clone disks - however this doesn't seem to be exactly the case. I decided to upgrade a SAMSUNG 830 120 GB SSD to a Samsung 840 250 GB SSD in a laptop recently. The cloning process went fine -- I left the partitions EXACTLY as they were on the...
Solved It can't be done! W8 clone to factory in Installation & Setup
Prove me wrong. Please. But I have spent enormous time (wasted) on trying to clone an Asus 750GB HDD to a Seagate 750GB SSD+HDD Hybrid. I've tried numerous free programs & various BIOS settings and have failed everytime. My simple goal was to take this original hard drive and just clone it to the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook