Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to do a clean install over a preinstalled W8

  1. #1


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64

    How to do a clean install over a preinstalled W8?


    I purchased a new latop from ASUS which comes with lots of garbage and many partitions.

    I first tried to do a reset to get rid of everything but it says that it doesn't find the necessary files, so it is failing.

    So I would like to download an .iso of this Windows 8 x64 (basic, not Pro) and do a clean install. I guess it is completely legitimate since I paid for it and I just want the same but clean and without small partitions.

    But I need to find the .iso for this Windows and I need to find the licence key.

    The rest, I can manage perfectly since I reinstall Windows all the time.

    Can somebody help?

    Thanks
    Last edited by kmint; 13 Apr 2013 at 02:02.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    hi, the license key is stored in the bios ,so you won't need that ,just a iso of win8 to do what you want to do ,not sure where you can find a iso to download ,but why not just uninstall all the crap that comes with the new laptop .also those small partitions are necessary for a well functioning laptop with win8 so don't get rid of those ,one of them is your factory restore,one is windows repair ,,you might need them some day .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    As the new MOBO's now have a uEFI/BIOS firmware.
    How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:
    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

    No licence key needed with OEM Pre-installed Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    So I would like to download an .iso of this Windows 8 x64 (basic, not Pro) and do a clean install. I guess it is completely legitimate since I paid for it and I just want the same but clean and without small partitions.
    Thanks
    Some believe that what you want to do is EULA consistent. I think their arguments are essentially: this practice "should" be legit so I am going to do it regardless. But, nowhere does the OEM preinstalled EULA say that you have the right to do so (and the software (i.e., an ISO) is not available for download from MS without paying, or having paid, the price of retail software plus key). In this regard, it is easy to argue that someone is EULA breaking if doing what you say. The basic argument against what you want to do is that software and product key are inseparable if conveyed to another. And, in the case of an OEM preinstalled, software, product key, and machine are inseparable if conveyed to another.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I just did what you propose on my new ASUS laptop. I basically had no choice as the factory recovery (Windows 8 reset) wouldn't work on the newly installed SSD drive that replaced the spinner it came with. At that time I didn't have access to TechNet so I downloaded an ISO of off bit torrent and verified the MD5 checksum. My embedded key was auto detected and activation was no problem. Next time around I'll use my TechNet ISO image. Microsoft must have their reasons for not offering up clean ISO images, I don't know what they are though. Good luck getting anything other than recovery media from the manufacturer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Microsoft must have their reasons for not offering up clean ISO images, I don't know what they are though.
    You would think that the basic MS reason has to do with profitability via (a) higher sales or (b) lower costs. I consider what I say below to be pure speculation, although the thoughts provided seem reasonable. But, I definitely am not arguing that any of my speculations accurately reflect MS's reasoning for not providing clean ISO's.

    WRT to (a), perhaps MS believes that its sales revenue will be higher simply because it will sell more product units (i.e., even net of any lost sales because some individuals, like me, won't buy a new Windows 8 machine unless badly wanted/needed as a consequence of the way OEM's apparently are forced to preinstall). Also, the Company may believe that it can charge OEM's higher prices because the OEM's will incur lower support costs given the OEM preinstall procedures. Third, MS may believe that withholding ISO's will decrease piracy-related sales and, thus, increase it own sales.

    WRT to (b), maybe MS believes, particularly reasonably, that not providing ISO's will decrease its support costs. And, the Company may believe that not providing them will decrease the costs of its anti-piracy-related activities (whatever they may be).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Microsoft must have their reasons for not offering up clean ISO images, I don't know what they are though.
    You would think that the basic MS reason has to do with profitability via (a) higher sales or (b) lower costs. I consider what I say below to be pure speculation, although the thoughts provided seem reasonable. But, I definitely am not arguing that any of my speculations accurately reflect MS's reasoning for not providing clean ISO's.

    WRT to (a), perhaps MS believes that its sales revenue will be higher simply because it will sell more product units (i.e., even net of any lost sales because some individuals, like me, won't buy a new Windows 8 machine unless badly wanted/needed as a consequence of the way OEM's apparently are forced to preinstall). Also, the Company may believe that it can charge OEM's higher prices because the OEM's will incur lower support costs given the OEM preinstall procedures. Third, MS may believe that withholding ISO's will decrease piracy-related sales and, thus, increase it own sales.

    WRT to (b), maybe MS believes, particularly reasonably, that not providing ISO's will decrease its support costs. And, the Company may believe that not providing them will decrease the costs of its anti-piracy-related activities (whatever they may be).
    Actually I do believe if you buy a PC with a preinstalled OEM version you call the manufacturer for tech support not Microsoft. And just to be clear about what I was saying. I'm talking about just an ISO image with no product code. You can get them for Windows 7 if you hunt around but not for Windows 8. To my way of thinking, being able to download clean install media right from Microsoft might actually reduce piracy. For sure it would reduce the amount of infected PC's out there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Thank you very much for all your answers.

    I have stopped this because this new laptop is a bit of disaster and I am thinking of returning it. However, I got an .iso just in case, but I don't even trust it. I got it from some torrents site and it can be dangerous. I have to disagree with this policy of Microsoft. I don't see why we cannot make clean installs over our computers with purchased licenses. Specially when the reset and refresh functions don't work.

    Many things are malfunctioning from the beginning in this laptop. The charms bar shows up random when I am moving the mouse over the center of the scren for no reason. The hot corners and the Start Menu don't work many times and make me crazy. Plus many other mouse/touchpad failures which can be related to the laptop hardware or drivers, but who knows. So, not having reset/refresh available and not clean install leaves me in a difficult situation that may lead me to return the laptop. Wrong policy from ASUS and Microsoft. I may end up buying another brand.

    Thanks. I will come back if I finally go into this again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Actually I do believe if you buy a PC with a preinstalled OEM version you call the manufacturer for tech support not Microsoft. And just to be clear about what I was saying. I'm talking about just an ISO image with no product code. You can get them for Windows 7 if you hunt around but not for Windows 8. To my way of thinking, being able to download clean install media right from Microsoft might actually reduce piracy. For sure it would reduce the amount of infected PC's out there.
    Yes, "if you buy a PC with a preinstalled OEM version you call the manufacturer for tech support not Microsoft." If you thought I meant differently, I didn't. Probably what I was getting at in one case was confusing. I was saying that OEM support costs might be lower under their current preinstall methods than if MS provided ISO's allowing individuals to reinstall Win8 cleanly over their preinstalled installations. An unstated assumption here is the the OEM's would provide the same support level whether or not an individual had reinstalled given ISO availability from MS. Under these conditions, MS might be able to charge OEM's more for the OS than if the Company provided ISO's. Confusing? Yes!

    And, I understood; you were talking about an ISO sans product key. In this regard, I agree that if MS provided ISO's, then there really ought to be fewer infected PC's. Also, I think piracy, given that MS provides ISO's, would be less than otherwise at least because some individuals currently pirating ISO's would be able to get them legitimately costlessly (e.g., probably those with preinstalled Windows 8 machines wanting, or needing, to clean reinstall Windows 8). This type of piracy reduction would be driven by an implicit change it what currently appears to be included in the definition of piracy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    Thank you very much for all your answers.

    I have stopped this because this new laptop is a bit of disaster and I am thinking of returning it. However, I got an .iso just in case, but I don't even trust it. I got it from some torrents site and it can be dangerous. I have to disagree with this policy of Microsoft. I don't see why we cannot make clean installs over our computers with purchased licenses. Specially when the reset and refresh functions don't work.

    Many things are malfunctioning from the beginning in this laptop. The charms bar shows up random when I am moving the mouse over the center of the scren for no reason. The hot corners and the Start Menu don't work many times and make me crazy. Plus many other mouse/touchpad failures which can be related to the laptop hardware or drivers, but who knows. So, not having reset/refresh available and not clean install leaves me in a difficult situation that may lead me to return the laptop. Wrong policy from ASUS and Microsoft. I may end up buying another brand.

    Thanks. I will come back if I finally go into this again.
    Good luck with the return; that's what I would do. I agree that MS or the OEM's should provide ISO's (or the equivalent) to facilitate needed, or even simply desired, clean reinstalls of Win8. Unfortunately, someone in control, presumably MS, does not see it that way.

    Not sure if you picked up on it above, but my position is that I will not buy a current or future preinstalled Windows machine until the issue we are discussing is resolved in the retail customer's favor. Also, I don't like Win8 as well as Win7 so there is no reason for me to build a new Win8 machine. Bottom line; I will be buying new Window's products that are available now, or will be available in the foreseeable future, only if cheap (as in the $39.99 upgrade deal); fun to fiddle with; and will run on older laptops.

    Incidentally, except for my DIY Win7 desktop (see system specs), my serious-use machines are Macs. So, I am in the if they don't do to my satisfaction, then I'll use the brand that will (or at least will come closer to the way I want) camp. Changing PC brand would be a waste of time, IMO, since all PC brands are essentially the same in regard to my main issue with MS/OEM's/Win8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
How to do a clean install over a preinstalled W8
Related Threads
I posted in the wrong forum so I'll just post a link to the thread plus a copy/paste of the OP. Can't install Windows 8.1 or 7 on laptop - Windows 7 Help Forums Little backstory: Its a HP Envy laptop with a 1TB HDD running on windows 8. But the laptop has been having a lot of start-up errors...
This forum is so much of wealthy info and thanks to you all for helping folks like me. Computer: New Lenovo Z580 Laptop with UEFI and Windows 8 Preinstalled What I did (did many things but this is what I remember): 1. Tried installing Ubuntu, lost partitions and Windows didn't boot either ...
I am looking to install Win7 Ultimate on my ASUS system and have 2 drives. I need win7 for work and really dont like 8 anyway. 8 was preinstalled. As you can tell from the screenshot i have a Virtual Clone drive (H: ) of the win7 iso. The BIOS has UEFI. Basically wanting to dual boot. I have been...
hi, i just got a new computer, it came with windows 7 home premium pre installed, however it is not activated and it says i have 30 days to activate it. however i dont have a key as i didnt purchase the OS, instead i have ordered Windows 8.1 64Bit Operating System DVD English OEI/OEM...
Asus N56vz, no media or product key. How can I install to a new SSD. No AI recovery. Have made recoveruy usb with restore partition, can repair but can't install with it.There is no option to create media, asus no help at this stage. Help please. TIA
Clean disk before clean install? in Installation & Setup
hello I had many problems with BSOD crashes, and decided to make a new clean install (SSD or harddisk). If I make a new clean install (no upgrade) is it enough to create 1 continuous unallocated disk and then it will make a clean install Or do I have to "clean up" my old disk first before making...
Hello everyone! I just bought a new asus desktop pc with windows 8 preinstalled. I want to swap out the hdd for an ssd instead. How would I install the OS on the new ssd with a usb drive? Also once I get the OS on the new ssd would all the drivers automatically install?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook