Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Make a fresh installation of Windows 8

  1. #31


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I have no idea what you are asking.

    How big is the iso?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Ok I tried some retail key, 'We cannot connect right now, check your internet connection' after the key passes... Does it work for anyone?
    You need to buy the Upgrade Windows 8 Pro first.

    or
    You can order Recovery disks from:
    Member & Product Registration Center
    ^ One guy at another forum was nice enough to provide me with ISO for Windows 8 from Oct 29 2012, no more attempting to make an ISO. Plus, I read that the Windows 8 setup from Microsoft that you do online doesn't burn a DVD for UEFI and I need to burn that ISO for UEFI on DVD+RW.
    To make the Upgrade Windows 8 x64 UEFI bootable.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    If you have the product key, and the iso file, then you don't need to download anything.

    If the iso is too large for dvd, it may include all editions.

    You can make another containing just the edition you have the product key for.

    Not sure if it is worth trying to explain all that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 46
    Windows 8


    @SIW2

    3.3 GB, well funny it has happened in the past when I use this USB DVD Download Tool... It gave an error at 99%. OK after 2nd 3rd time burning it did it, went 100%...

    @theog

    I opened the files of this ISO I see some efi files there, if that's enough, let me bring the burning to DVD to success and I will see if I have an option to boot from UEFI before using that tool.

    It does not give you UEFI cause I read somewhere the Windows 8 upgrade does regular burn not for UEFI but I dont use that darn Windows 8 upgrade
    ----------------

    Is there a complete guide step-by-step how to proceed with installation from DVD after burning the iso to if you want to wipe the SSD and HDD and recreate them? aka clean install.
    That's what I want.. nothing more with this thread with or without UEFI I don't care

    IT'S so annoying to install windows 8... only headaches
    Last edited by Emtr; 09 Apr 2013 at 12:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Emtr View Post
    ^ One guy at another forum was nice enough to provide me with ISO for Windows 8 from Oct 29 2012, no more attempting to make an ISO. Plus, I read that the Win8 setup from Microsoft that you do online doesn't burn a DVD for UEFI and I need to burn that ISO for UEFI on DVD+RW.

    So far I tried using the Win USB DVD tool but it gave me an error, I actually use 2 laptops the old one and the new one where I will reinstall. On the new one I've got there is not enough space on the empty DVD+RW, on the old laptop I got another error.

    So what do I need to do to make a bootable DVD? And is this boot from UEFI needed to be able to create partitions for my SSD and HDD? The tutorial there was explaining only how to make USB bootable from an iso or DVD but not a bootable DVD!
    Well, if he gave you a product key also, then the Win8 EULA is being broken. The links I already have provided above provide the necessary info for burning a DVD from an ISO and for dealing with the the UEFI issues you may run into.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 46
    Windows 8


    ^ Umm, I said 'gave me an ISO download link' NOT a product key... And I do not need to download ISO from Microsoft, since I already have a Win 8 x64 ISO. For activation, I can use my OEM key, since I am using the same product for which I have my license.

    The ISO I downloaded. it gives me an error when trying to boot from it... Is there ANY way to download from Windows 8 given the fact that I get the message 'Can't connect right now. Check your connection' and I am on another IP, still this stupid message. I use generic key that can be found on the net for proceeding with the download on Microsoft site and i am sure this is not the reason.
    Last edited by Emtr; 10 Apr 2013 at 04:23.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Emtr View Post
    ^ Umm, I said 'gave me an ISO download link' NOT a product key... And I do not need to download ISO from Microsoft, since I already have a Win 8 x64 ISO. For activation, I can use my OEM key, since I am using the same product for which I have my license.

    The ISO I downloaded. it gives me an error when trying to boot from it... Is there ANY way to download from Windows 8 given the fact that I get the message 'Can't connect right now. Check your connection' and I am on another IP, still this stupid message. I use generic key that can be found on the net for proceeding with the download on Microsoft site and i am sure this is not the reason.
    You said earlier:

    "Ok I tried some retail key, 'We cannot connect right now, check your internet connection' after the key passes... Does it work for anyone?"

    It works for "everyone" with a proper product key. Generic keys also do not work.
    Last edited by znod; 10 Apr 2013 at 08:30.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Emtr View Post
    ^ Umm, I said 'gave me an ISO download link' NOT a product key... And I do not need to download ISO from Microsoft, since I already have a Win 8 x64 ISO. For activation, I can use my OEM key, since I am using the same product for which I have my license.

    The ISO I downloaded. it gives me an error when trying to boot from it... Is there ANY way to download from Windows 8 given the fact that I get the message 'Can't connect right now. Check your connection' and I am on another IP, still this stupid message. I use generic key that can be found on the net for proceeding with the download on Microsoft site and i am sure this is not the reason.
    These keys have been BLOCKED by Microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 46
    Windows 8


    Ok so this message is because of inappropriate key. Let's forget about it and M$ downloads, I mentioned I dl-ed some iso retail and according to what you say, my OEM key should work.

    Now, since DVD burning and formatting for 17 mins per format is waste of time when not all are successful, I finally do USB 3.0 on 3.0 port backup, will report what problems I will have next.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Emtr View Post
    Ok so this message is because of inappropriate key. Let's forget about it and M$ downloads, I mentioned I dl-ed some iso retail and according to what you say, my OEM key should work.
    should work for installation, yes. And, I am assuming there is no problem with the install medium you come up with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Make a fresh installation of Windows 8
Related Threads
hi all! I originally had windows 8 prowmc licensed (I have the iso image for that in case I need to reinstall); I upgraded /updated from store free update; now I have a valid licensed 8.1 running; but I don't have an iso; and if I have to re-install, I have to install 8, activate it and again do...
Hi all, I have just installed windows 8.1 on my tower PC. The previous set up has 2 software RAID mirrors set up using the Win 7 functionality. Upon loading Win 8.1 the 4 drives (2x mirrors) are recognized by Computer Management correctly, but show up as failed. Trying to "Reactivate" these...
Hi guys , I bought a HP notebook with windows 8.1 installed , but no installation DVD . In order to create one I downloaded from Microsoft , ( from windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media ) the Windows 8.1 Setup ( file...
I'm sorry but I'm new at this but I'm at a loss at what I'm suppose to do. Just got in the mail 2 ssd's and the HD7870 video card along with a copy of windows 8.1 complete (retail). My boot ssd (one I'm trying to install on) is a 60gb Mushkin and the other is the one I was going to put games on...
8.1 fresh installation in Installation & Setup
Is there such a thing as running a fresh installation of 8.1 without having the COA or product at the time of setting up on a pc? I'm asking this because someone I know was given a laptop by his son which had Ubuntu and because Linux frightened the life out of him his son put W8.1 on it....
Hello to everyone reading this. I just installed Windows 8 Enterprise N x64 on a machine thats has been running on Windows 7 Pro x64 without the slightest problem for about a year or so and I ve been getting these BSODs these past 2 days. The machine crashed two times while surfing the net.Both...
Hi all; Need your help on this. Currently, i am planning to use the SSD as the boot drive to install the OS and all other programs. However, which is the better route? - cloning / migrating the data from the HDD to SSD, versus - a clean installation on the SSD??? This is the scenario:...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook