Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I love embedded Oem keys

  1. #61


    It's not legal until he bought the pro licenses. If he went ahead and put pro on over the core before buying the upgrade its would have been illegal.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by aem View Post
    It's not legal until he bought the pro licenses. If he went ahead and put pro on over the core before buying the upgrade its would have been illegal.
    Not true. Core gets installed by default because that's what the embedded keys are for. You never get the option to install Pro. In this instance the only way to get pro is to use the add features option. I've done it on my laptop that came with just Windows 8. Core gets installed without me ever getting asked what version I want. After the install I have to use the add features option to enter my Pro key and upgrade. Then when that is done I can enter my Media center key for that upgrade. Also, if the PC does not have an embedded key you will be asked to input one. You can't install any version without entering a product code. The product code you enter determines what version is installed. If you enter a Pro key Pro gets installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    No, pcs are shipped with the purchased version of the OS. Are you saying there is no W8 Pro embedded key available?

    We are not talking about if it works or not, we are talking about legality.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Hafnarfjrur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Was able to take a Dell copy of Windows 8, make an uefi bootable usb key, install onto my Dell, and also onto some acers in my office. It used the embedded keys each time, gave me 8 pro where appropriate, and 8 standard when appropriate. No hassles, activated immediately, no calls to robo activation at Microsoft. Good times.
    Hi there
    Problem with that solution is that if you are in the know and have access to cheap manufacturing it's incredibly easy to Pirate -- cloning hardware at very large volumes is extremely cheap and I'm sure if you just take a walk down certain streets in Shanghai as a westerner with a PC in your hand you'll be offered an amazing amount of hardware / software for some really cheap prices within seconds -- of course they won't guarantee the "provenance" of the kit they sell you. It'll work and be really cheap though. !!

    I think Ms might regret this approach in the end -- hardware based solutions are usually cracked fairly easily and quickly -- just look how quickly regional encoding / CSS on DVD's was cracked, same thing with Bank cards and Blue Ray DVD's.

    Without some sort of a complex dynamic software encryption algorithm too a pure hardware solution won't work --too easily pirated.
    You really need to have a combination of BOTH hardware and software to be reasonably "Pirate Proof".

    (I'm an Engineer -- I KNOW that this is easy to do- cracking the hardware).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by aem View Post
    No, pcs are shipped with the purchased version of the OS. Are you saying there is no W8 Pro embedded key available?

    We are not talking about if it works or not, we are talking about legality.
    No, what I'm saying is, if the PC shipped with 8 core, that's what get installed and if it had shipped with 8 Pro that's what gets installed. You can't cheat and install Pro on a PC that didn't come with it. He was legal, Pro installed on his Dell and Core installed on the Acers. That's what they came with from the factory and they used the factory keys. All perfectly legal. He upgraded the Acers to Pro using legally bought Pro packs latter on. He didn't have to do that to be legal. He did it because he needed some features only available in the Pro version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Quote Originally Posted by aem View Post
    It's not legal until he bought the pro licenses. If he went ahead and put pro on over the core before buying the upgrade its would have been illegal.
    It most certainly was legal before I bought pro. It was legal for Windows 8 standard which is what is embedded in the machine. 1000% legit at that point.

    But I needed more functionality than 8 standard so I had to buy pro packs for these machines.

    And yes, computers can come with 8 pro (my Dell did), so a pro pack purchase here was not necessary. In the case of this machine, the key for 8 pro is right in the BIOS and that is what I get when I reload..

    So when you load, you automatically get the version that matches the key embedded in the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Was able to take a Dell copy of Windows 8, make an uefi bootable usb key, install onto my Dell, and also onto some acers in my office. It used the embedded keys each time, gave me 8 pro where appropriate, and 8 standard when appropriate. No hassles, activated immediately, no calls to robo activation at Microsoft. Good times.
    Hi there
    Problem with that solution is that if you are in the know and have access to cheap manufacturing it's incredibly easy to Pirate -- cloning hardware at very large volumes is extremely cheap and I'm sure if you just take a walk down certain streets in Shanghai as a westerner with a PC in your hand you'll be offered an amazing amount of hardware / software for some really cheap prices within seconds -- of course they won't guarantee the "provenance" of the kit they sell you. It'll work and be really cheap though. !!

    I think Ms might regret this approach in the end -- hardware based solutions are usually cracked fairly easily and quickly -- just look how quickly regional encoding / CSS on DVD's was cracked, same thing with Bank cards and Blue Ray DVD's.

    Without some sort of a complex dynamic software encryption algorithm too a pure hardware solution won't work --too easily pirated.
    You really need to have a combination of BOTH hardware and software to be reasonably "Pirate Proof".

    (I'm an Engineer -- I KNOW that this is easy to do- cracking the hardware).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I don't love embedded keys because I thought they stopped piracy. I love them because on legit machines it makes my life much easier. That is all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Was able to take a Dell copy of Windows 8, make an uefi bootable usb key, install onto my Dell, and also onto some acers in my office. It used the embedded keys each time, gave me 8 pro where appropriate, and 8 standard when appropriate. No hassles, activated immediately, no calls to robo activation at Microsoft. Good times.
    Hi there
    Problem with that solution is that if you are in the know and have access to cheap manufacturing it's incredibly easy to Pirate -- cloning hardware at very large volumes is extremely cheap and I'm sure if you just take a walk down certain streets in Shanghai as a westerner with a PC in your hand you'll be offered an amazing amount of hardware / software for some really cheap prices within seconds -- of course they won't guarantee the "provenance" of the kit they sell you. It'll work and be really cheap though. !!

    I think Ms might regret this approach in the end -- hardware based solutions are usually cracked fairly easily and quickly -- just look how quickly regional encoding / CSS on DVD's was cracked, same thing with Bank cards and Blue Ray DVD's.

    Without some sort of a complex dynamic software encryption algorithm too a pure hardware solution won't work --too easily pirated.
    You really need to have a combination of BOTH hardware and software to be reasonably "Pirate Proof".

    (I'm an Engineer -- I KNOW that this is easy to do- cracking the hardware).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    If somebody wants to pirate Windows bad enough they are going to pirate Windows regardless of what Microsoft does. That's life. I think this approach is a lot better than the OEM-SLP/SLIC table method. It's a lot easier to add a SLIC table to a stock BIOS and flash with that than it is to clone the embedded keys. Plus after a couple of hundred PC's show up with the same embedded key Microsoft will just black list it. Anyway I agree with pparks1, the embedded keys make reinstalls a lot easier on OEM PC's.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Sorry not legal to put pro on standard machine unless you bought/upgrade pro for that machine. Apples with apples.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by aem View Post
    Sorry not legal to put pro on standard machine unless you bought/upgrade pro for that machine. Apples with apples.
    That's exactly what he did? How many times do we have to say it? He legally installed core then upgraded it with legally purchased Pro packs.
    The Dell already had an embedded Pro key so that's what was installed by default, totally legal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
I love embedded Oem keys
Related Threads
Read more at source: Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles? | ZDNet
Hello, I am used to using the hjkl keys as arrow keys on my home computer by using xmodmap to avoid moving from the home row. Is there any way on 'microsoft windows 8' to configure the hjkl keys to be used as arrow keys while a modifier key such as 'ctrl', 'alt' or 'meta' is held down? The hjkl...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook