Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Installation Just Stops

  1. #11


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8 Pro OEM 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Just to be sure--are you trying to install under UEFI? Both theog and I recommended the link you gave in post #8--about UEFI installation. If yes, to my question, then my thoughts in post #7 may be pertinent.
    Well, for one I'm getting quite confused with all the acronyms. But I did follow the steps in that link and before going ahead with the ISO option I realised I had formatted the USB in NTFS rather than FAT32. So I created a new USB bootable flash drive, which was recognised on the boot list as a UEFI device. I was most elated and then I followed this post exactly using the 64-bit Win USB Flash drive with UEFI support approach. It proceeded normally and then my elation gave way to misery and despair when the PC black screened again at the same place that it had in so many previous failed installations. This happens after the second reboot when Getting Devices Ready. The installation comes back to life for a few moments and then permanently black screens.

    Now I'm really at a loss.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Thanks for your clarifications. It sounds like you are doing all the right things at this point. I do know that some definitely have problems installing on new SSD's--without apparent identifiable reasons. If I come up with anything, then I'll get back to you. I understand your frustration.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8 Pro OEM 64-bit


    Thanks for your support, I really do appreciate the time it takes to respond.

    I got to thinking that perhaps there is a problem with the Win 8 Pro DVD. I'm not sure how often that may happen or if indeed it ever happens but I had an old 2009 copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit lying around and thought I would try that. I placed that in the optical drive, booted up, and it installed on the Vertex 4 perfectly - no issues whatsoever (just the way it's supposed to be). It's all quite bland and low res on my HD monitor because I havent yet installed the graphics card but it seems to be working properly. The actual startup time is worryingly slow for some reason (~ 2 min) but once in Windows it runs super fast.

    This raises three questions for me:

    1. Is Win 8 so different from Win 7 in the way it installs or operates that this may explain the installation problems or could there be a problem with the installation disk? There's no obvious visible damage to the disc that I can see.
    2. Is it resonable to try the upgrade path with Win 8 Pro rather than the clean install now that Win 7 is running?
    3. Should I hold off on adding and installing the graphics, audio, and Wifi cards (the latter came with the Z77X motherboard) until I get Win 8 working?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by visibility View Post
    Thanks for your support, I really do appreciate the time it takes to respond.

    I got to thinking that perhaps there is a problem with the Win 8 Pro DVD.

    Maybe, but unusual for sure. Incidentally, to be sure, you are using an upgrade medium, right? And, why not just use the disc? Why use the flash drive? Maybe the setup on the flash drive is bad? Does the disc show UEFI support? If not, then you could make one that does--using earlier instructions.

    This raises three questions for me

    Is Win 8 so different from Win 7 in the way it installs or operates that this may explain the installation problems ... ? There's no obvious visible damage to the disc that I can see.

    I would not have guessed so, but maybe your problem is that no qualifying OS has been installed in your prior attempts. If using upgrade, then you will have to forfeit use of some qualifying OS. The one forfeited need not be installed though.


    Is it resonable to try the upgrade path with Win 8 Pro rather than the clean install now that Win 7 is running

    I would not want to do the straight upgrade. But, you still can do the clean install (upgrade) approach with Win 7 installed (Clean Install - Windows 8--adjusting for UEFI as needed) provided both systems are of the same "bitness." Important: did you install Win7 under UEFI/GPT?

    Should I hold off on adding and installing the graphics, audio, and Wifi cards (the latter came with the Z77X motherboard) until I get Win 8 working?

    If doing the clean install approach, then there would be no reason to do anything but hold off.
    You are very welcome. I inserted some replies above.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8 Pro OEM 64-bit


    Hi Znod. Thanks for answering those questions. I think I have confused the issue my mentioning the word "upgrade." It's actually a full OEM version of Win 8 Pro. To answer your questions. I did try the Win 8 disc to begin with and it failed so I thought I would go the USB route and it failed also, both with UEFI support. When installing Win 7, it automatically went straight to loading Windows files so I don't know whether it was installed under UEFI/GPT.

    I think I will insert the Win 8 disc and see if I can clean install over Win 7, but that will have to wait until the morning as it is quite late here now.

    I was worried that there may have been a problem with the build but since installing Win 7 eveything seems to be fine, which is very comforting. The only disconcerting thing is that it takes a full 75 seconds for Win 7 to load up. This is 50 sec longer than this 4-year-old laptop I am typing on now, which uses the same version of Win 7. Perhaps I need to turn off some settings in the BIOS.

    Thanks again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by visibility View Post
    Hi Znod. Thanks for answering those questions. I think I have confused the issue my mentioning the word "upgrade." It's actually a full OEM version of Win 8 Pro. To answer your questions. I did try the Win 8 disc to begin with and it failed so I thought I would go the USB route and it failed also, both with UEFI support. When installing Win 7, it automatically went straight to loading Windows files so I don't know whether it was installed under UEFI/GPT.

    Go it; thanks for getting us back on track. I too was getting confused.

    I think I will insert the Win 8 disc and see if I can clean install over Win 7, but that will have to wait until the morning as it is quite late here now.

    Exactly what I was thinking--UEFI/GPT or not, what the heck? Admittedly, UEFI should start faster, but, regardless, an SSD will start plenty fast enough IMO. Also, UEFI especially can be a problem with fast startup.

    I was worried that there may have been a problem with the build but since installing Win 7 eveything seems to be fine, which is very comforting. The only disconcerting thing is that it takes a full 75 seconds for Win 7 to load up. This is 50 sec longer than this 4-year-old laptop I am typing on now, which uses the same version of Win 7. Perhaps I need to turn off some settings in the BIOS.

    I don't understand the slow startup thing. Hope is works better when you get Win8 running (he said optimistically.)

    Thanks again.
    Good luck. And, you are welcome. Looking forward to hearing about your new Win8 installation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8 Pro OEM 64-bit


    Going into my third day of attempting to install Win 8 I must say I was not full of optimism. However the successful installation of Win 7 yesterday gave me reason for hope. Perhaps my newly built rig is working after all. I was beginning to think that I had a faulty Win 8 Pro OEM disc, but who has ever heard of that? Buoyed by little bit of luck, this morning I booted from the Win 8 disc in UEFI mode, entered my details and the Product Key for the umpteenth time and held my breath. My first concern was that when I collapsed the partitions from my Win 7 install and selected NEW only two partitions were created which is not what normally happens in UEFI mode (normally 4). Unperturbed I pressed on. For a reason unknown to me, after the first reboot during installation the PC reread the cd and commenced a new install once more. With that feeling of frustration beginning to rise once more, I re-entered the location data and Product Key yet again. However, this time when collapsing the partitions and selecting NEW, 4 partitions were created. I let windows chug away and fully expected to return later to a black screen but to my absolute delight the personalisation screen was displayed. It was only a few short clicks later that Win 8 Pro was fully installed and operational. I rebooted with more than a little intrepidation and it re-started in lighting speed.

    Form here on I installed the graphics , audio , and WiFi cards - all going without a hitch. I have spent much of the day subsequently installing drivers and software. I've had probably a dozen reboots in the process of installing the drivers and I am delighted with the start up and shut down times. A cold boot is 12 seconds to the Win 8 screen and a full shut takes 4 seconds. This beats Win 7 hands down.

    I wanted to send in my success story for others to read. Perhaps it will provide some inspiration when your entire being is otherwise telling you to chuck your new rig off the 3rd level balcony. I also wanted to thank you all once more for the assistance and support you have provided. Perhaps one day I may return the favour.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    I admire your persistence, visibility! Congratulations on your success.

    Welcome to EightForums BTW.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by visibility View Post
    Going into my third day of attempting to install Win 8 I must say I was not full of optimism. However the successful installation of Win 7 yesterday gave me reason for hope. Perhaps my newly built rig is working after all. I was beginning to think that I had a faulty Win 8 Pro OEM disc, but who has ever heard of that? Buoyed by little bit of luck, this morning I booted from the Win 8 disc in UEFI mode, entered my details and the Product Key for the umpteenth time and held my breath. My first concern was that when I collapsed the partitions from my Win 7 install and selected NEW only two partitions were created which is not what normally happens in UEFI mode (normally 4). Unperturbed I pressed on. For a reason unknown to me, after the first reboot during installation the PC reread the cd and commenced a new install once more. With that feeling of frustration beginning to rise once more, I re-entered the location data and Product Key yet again. However, this time when collapsing the partitions and selecting NEW, 4 partitions were created. I let windows chug away and fully expected to return later to a black screen but to my absolute delight the personalisation screen was displayed. It was only a few short clicks later that Win 8 Pro was fully installed and operational. I rebooted with more than a little intrepidation and it re-started in lighting speed.

    Form here on I installed the graphics , audio , and WiFi cards - all going without a hitch. I have spent much of the day subsequently installing drivers and software. I've had probably a dozen reboots in the process of installing the drivers and I am delighted with the start up and shut down times. A cold boot is 12 seconds to the Win 8 screen and a full shut takes 4 seconds. This beats Win 7 hands down.

    I wanted to send in my success story for others to read. Perhaps it will provide some inspiration when your entire being is otherwise telling you to chuck your new rig off the 3rd level balcony. I also wanted to thank you all once more for the assistance and support you have provided. Perhaps one day I may return the favour.
    You are very welcome, and I am very glad it's finally working out. No reason for optimism? I knew; emember what I said above. "I don't understand the slow startup thing. Hope is works better when you get Windows 8 running (he said optimistically.)" Is your startup speed good under Win8?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 14
    Windows 8 Pro OEM 64-bit


    Yes Znod - cold boot is 12 seconds!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Installation Just Stops
Related Threads
I'm trying to install the Windows 8 Preview x64. I've successfully installed it on my old laptop and a Latitude ST from work, but it won't install on my main PC. I go through the setup wizard as normal; no errors. But, when it comes to the actual installing part, it gets stuck on "Getting files...
I've been trying to install the printer software for an HP Laserjet printer and can't get it installed. I've even had an HP tech person try to install it via remote control and he couldn't. I was told that something on my system is preventing the installation. I ran sfc /scannow and it found...
Windows stops working. in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Randomly (or at least I cannot find consistency) Windows will stop working. It will ask me to force stop but I cannot click it because it is frozen. Any open programs will work, if I try to open task manager it wont, and when I Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go to restart it completely freezes up. The last...
I have WIN 8.1 installed on a Gateway DX 4822IE 10 and now IE 11 continually stop working,can find no fix on MS web site, any ideas on this????
As a matter of general interest, once Microsoft stop supporting XP, will it be possible to activate it if someone still wants to use it and do a fresh installation?
sfc /scannow stops always at 52% in Performance & Maintenance
When i run the sfc /scannow command, it always stops at 52% and gives an error that some system files are corrupted but can not repaired. The log is in attachement. Can someone please view to the log. Some extracts of the log: 2013-04-04 12:45:13, Error CSI ...
stops responding in Performance & Maintenance
Why do so many programs just stop working, stop responding for no apparent reason??? This includes IE9, e-mail service, new printer/scanner installation, etc, etc, etc. Sometimes even writing a letter or "Save as" just stops responding. How can this be??? Windows says "we're looking for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook