Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will the disk burnt with Win 8 ISO install full Windows 8?

  1. #1

    Will the disk burnt with Win 8 ISO install full Windows 8?


    On January 31st, I bought a product key for Win 8 Pro paying $40. I downloaded the Windows.iso that came with the purchase. Afterwards, I burnt the Windows.iso to two separate DVD Roms, opening the ISO with Windows Disk Image Burner.

    When one of the two DVD Roms is opened, the program setup.exe presents itself, together with about 9 folders and files. (Please see the attachment, showing the contents of the DVD Rom.)

    Setup.exe is obviously the trigger for installing Win 8.

    My question is: Will this trigger (setup.exe) install the full Win 8 operating system, using what is stored on the DVD Rom, plus perhaps elements downloaded from the internet during the installation process? Or must I have installation elements on my hard drive, downloaded during the purchase, in addition to the DVD Rom?

    In other words, is the DVD Rom burnt from the ISO the "full" Windows 8, the only thing I need apart from my product key, to install Win 8?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Win 8 Installation Disk.JPG  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    No, you purchased an upgrade version of Windows 8. It requires that a previous qualifying OS be already on the hard disk. It does not require downloading anything if you've burned it to DVD, but there must be an OS to "Upgrade". You can do a clean install, but the original OS must be there first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Thanks. The computer I am talking about has Win 7 installed on it. When the computer was scanned by Microsoft before the money was paid and the download started, Win 8 Pro was recommended. The price was still $40, so I proceeded and I assume that Win 8 Pro is now ready to be installed. I have another computer with Win 8 on it, used mainly by my child. I want to wait a few months before installing Win 8 on the machine running Win 7. I need to do serious work on it and can't afford to wonder how to do things I urgently need to do. Through the other computer with Win 8 I will hopefully get more confident with the new version of Windows in time. When I'm ready, I'd like to use the DVD Rom I burned.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    That will be fine. If you are planning on using your dvd and product key on the machine with 7 already on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    That will be fine. If you are planning on using your dvd and product key on the machine with 7 already on it.
    OP says: "in other words, is the DVD Rom burnt from the ISO the "full" Windows 8, the only thing I need apart from my product key, to install Win 8?"

    With respect to all posts to date, I thought, whether under BIOS or UEFI, he could do what he wants, under Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade, using an install DVD even with a completely clean drive provided that he uses a retail upgrade DVD or an ISO-created install DVD where the ISO is obtained via the upgrade-assistant process. Note the use, for example, of the refresh option for activation in Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade.

    Edit: I should not have said what I did in red below originally. Don't know what I was thinking a the time. This "check" issue now is dealt with later in the thread.

    But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS. Does the retail DVD do this check? Regardless, OP does not have a retail DVD. It wouldn't have to do any sort of "bitness" check (i.e., the disc packs retail or through the upgrade assistant contain both 32-bit and 64-bit).
    Last edited by znod; 07 Feb 2013 at 06:25.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS. Does the retail DVD do this check? Regardless, OP does not have a retail DVD. It wouldn't have to do any sort of "bitness" check (i.e., the disc packs retail or through the upgrade assistant contain both 32-bit and 64-bit).
    Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean by this.

    The only "retail" packages I've seen so far are the upgrade ones. As far as I know, they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant (except the retail packages include both 32 and 64 bit installation DVDs.)

    There is no "full retail" package. The System Builder copy is supposed to serve that purpose for do-it-yourself types, including the ability to transfer the license to a new PC. I haven't seen a SB package, so I don't know whether it includes both bit levels. I also don't know whether it can be installed as an upgrade-in-place over an existing older Windows copy, which I believe the old Win7 full retail version allowed. (I don't know that from personal experience. Only upgrade versions for me.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS. Does the retail DVD do this check? Regardless, OP does not have a retail DVD. It wouldn't have to do any sort of "bitness" check (i.e., the disc packs retail or through the upgrade assistant contain both 32-bit and 64-bit).
    Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean by this.

    The only "retail" packages I've seen so far are the upgrade ones. As far as I know, they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant (except the retail packages include both 32 and 64 bit installation DVDs.)

    There is no "full retail" package. The System Builder copy is supposed to serve that purpose for do-it-yourself types, including the ability to transfer the license to a new PC. I haven't seen a SB package, so I don't know whether it includes both bit levels. I also don't know whether it can be installed as an upgrade-in-place over an existing older Windows copy, which I believe the old Win7 full retail version allowed. (I don't know that from personal experience. Only upgrade versions for me.)
    You are mostly correct on what you say above. But, if you look back at my post, then you'll see that my comment about "a retail DVD" refers to my earlier discussion about "a retail upgrade DVD." Your comment "they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant" is true, except that disks made from the ISO's from the upgrade assistant (and the ISO's themselves) sometimes (perhaps often) fail to provide UEFI support. However, the disc sets that can be ordered when using the upgrade assistant are the same as the retail upgrade disc sets; both "types" of sets have UEFI support.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS. Does the retail DVD do this check? Regardless, OP does not have a retail DVD. It wouldn't have to do any sort of "bitness" check (i.e., the disc packs retail or through the upgrade assistant contain both 32-bit and 64-bit).
    Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean by this.

    The only "retail" packages I've seen so far are the upgrade ones. As far as I know, they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant (except the retail packages include both 32 and 64 bit installation DVDs.)

    There is no "full retail" package. The System Builder copy is supposed to serve that purpose for do-it-yourself types, including the ability to transfer the license to a new PC. I haven't seen a SB package, so I don't know whether it includes both bit levels. I also don't know whether it can be installed as an upgrade-in-place over an existing older Windows copy, which I believe the old Win7 full retail version allowed. (I don't know that from personal experience. Only upgrade versions for me.)
    You are mostly correct on what you say above. But, if you look back at my post, then you'll see that my comment about "a retail DVD" refers to my earlier discussion about "a retail upgrade DVD." Your comment "they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant" is true, except that disks made from the ISO's from the upgrade assistant (and the ISO's themselves) sometimes (perhaps often) fail to provide UEFI support. However, the disc sets that can be ordered when using the upgrade assistant are the same as the retail upgrade disc sets; both "types" of sets have UEFI support.
    What I didn't follow was "But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS."

    I have no experience with the retail upgrade package. I acquired the X64 Pro upgrade through the dreaded Upgrade Assistant, and saved it as an .iso. I prepared a USB flash drive installer. The installer required a license key to perform the installation. However, if no qualifying older OS is present, the installation won't activate. (That's leaving off any work-arounds.)

    I actually prepared The USB flash drive twice. The first time I used the utility from the Microsoft Store. However, that formats the drive as NTFS, while I found that I needed FAT for a UEFI install. I used the widely published procedure that uses diskpart.

    Is the retail upgrade copy different?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    See my follow up in post #16 if interested.

    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    That will be fine. If you are planning on using your dvd and product key on the machine with 7 already on it.
    OP says: "in other words, is the DVD Rom burnt from the ISO the "full" Windows 8, the only thing I need apart from my product key, to install Win 8?"

    With respect to all posts to date, I thought, whether under BIOS or UEFI, he could do what he wants, under Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade, using an install DVD even with a completely clean drive provided that he uses a retail upgrade DVD or an ISO-created install DVD where the ISO is obtained via the upgrade-assistant process. Note the use, for example, of the refresh option for activation in Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade.

    But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS. Does the retail DVD do this check? Regardless, OP does not have a retail DVD. It wouldn't have to do any sort of "bitness" check (i.e., the disc packs retail or through the upgrade assistant contain both 32-bit and 64-bit).
    OK, I checked out what I said above and the logic of the tutorials. Note that the tutorials I refer to make no mention of installed operating system preconditions--except when referencing the upgrade-assistant process--which is not pertinent to what I did--regardless of which of the two disks mentioned below I used. All is good, but I want to make what I did clear.

    1. I started with Windows 8 Pro installed on my machine so to be precise I did a reinstallation.
    2. In applying the procedures from our pertinent tutorials, I used the 64-bit install disc ordered during the the upgrade-assistant process (but see below for "special" pre-installation steps taken). It should be the same as a retail 64-bit upgrade disc. In this regard, I did not use the 64-bit upgrade disc created from the ISO downloaded via the upgrade-assistant process. I did not use this disc because I wanted to "get as far away from" the upgrade-assistant process as possible.
    3. I went Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade > Clean Install - Windows 8 (could have started with this one). I did all steps to the point where the installation began. I emphasize that I started with Win8 64-bit installed on my machine--not an OS qualifying for an upgrade.
    4. To distance myself from my installed Win8, I aborted the installation after it had begun.
    5. I tried to start to my 64-bit installation, but "no operating system was found." Good.
    6. I restarted to my installation DVD and did all the steps in Clean Install - Windows 8.
    7. After finishing the installation, Win 8 64-bit was not activated.
    8. To activate, I first tried using "Activate Windows Upgrade using a BAT File Download" (step 6) from Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade to save time. It didn't work.
    9. So, I tried "Activate by Refreshing the Windows 8 Upgrade" (step 5) from Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade. It worked. All is good.

    I have a few caveats. First, I supposed my install disc could have found remnants of my prior installation and worked because of the found remnants. I don't see this scenario to be at all likely. Second, I could have been more secure in what I am saying works by, for example, writing zeros to my drive at the outset. I didn't think that doing so was necessary. And, as said above, "the tutorials I ... [referred] to make no mention of installed operating system preconditions--except when referencing the upgrade-assistant process--which is not pertinent to what I did--regardless of which of the two disks mentioned ... [above] I used. In any case, I did not start with an OS qualifying for an upgrade installed on my machine--which is a partially mitigating factor.
    Last edited by znod; 10 Feb 2013 at 13:05.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post

    Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean by this.

    The only "retail" packages I've seen so far are the upgrade ones. As far as I know, they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant (except the retail packages include both 32 and 64 bit installation DVDs.)

    There is no "full retail" package. The System Builder copy is supposed to serve that purpose for do-it-yourself types, including the ability to transfer the license to a new PC. I haven't seen a SB package, so I don't know whether it includes both bit levels. I also don't know whether it can be installed as an upgrade-in-place over an existing older Windows copy, which I believe the old Win7 full retail version allowed. (I don't know that from personal experience. Only upgrade versions for me.)
    You are mostly correct on what you say above. But, if you look back at my post, then you'll see that my comment about "a retail DVD" refers to my earlier discussion about "a retail upgrade DVD." Your comment "they are the same as the downloads obtained through the Upgrade Assistant" is true, except that disks made from the ISO's from the upgrade assistant (and the ISO's themselves) sometimes (perhaps often) fail to provide UEFI support. However, the disc sets that can be ordered when using the upgrade assistant are the same as the retail upgrade disc sets; both "types" of sets have UEFI support.
    What I didn't follow was "But, maybe not with the retail DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS."

    I have no experience with the retail upgrade package. I acquired the X64 Pro upgrade through the dreaded Upgrade Assistant, and saved it as an .iso. I prepared a USB flash drive installer. The installer required a license key to perform the installation. However, if no qualifying older OS is present, the installation won't activate. (That's leaving off any work-arounds.)

    I actually prepared The USB flash drive twice. The first time I used the utility from the Microsoft Store. However, that formats the drive as NTFS, while I found that I needed FAT for a UEFI install. I used the widely published procedure that uses diskpart.

    Is the retail upgrade copy different?
    In post 5, you many have missed "note the use, for example, of the refresh option for activation in Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade." And, see my post 9--the part on activation. In post 5, I also said "I thought, whether under BIOS or UEFI, he could do what he wants, under Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade, using an install DVD even with a completely clean drive provided that he uses a retail upgrade DVD or an ISO-created install DVD where the ISO is obtained via the upgrade-assistant process." I said also said above--that these two DVD's will be the same except that sometimes (perhaps often) that DVD's created using ISOs will lack UEFI support. I emphasize that this comment applies only to 64-bit discs since 32-bit discs don't currently have UEFI support--no matter what. Also, while I don't recall saying it above, note that the DVD set that can be ordered during the course of using the the upgrade-assistant process and the retail upgrade DVD set are the same--with the 64-bit discs in both sets having UEFI support.

    Why not try a DVD and follow the procedure in Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade > Clean Install - Windows 8--and back to Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade at the end--if you can't activate as I did in post #9 having previously used your flash-drive procedure. Try both activation procedures in Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade whether using having used a DVD or your flash drive to install.

    I should not have said "but, maybe not with the retail [upgrade] DVD since there is no check for a "qualifying" prior OS. Does the retail DVD do this check?" Don't know what I was thinking. The only time there ever is check for a qualifying OS is when using the upgrade-assistant process. And, of course, in this context, there is a "bitness" check--if running 32 bit (64 bit) when using this process, then the ISO obtained will allow only the installation of 32 bit (64 bit), but the installation can be done a machine other than the one from which the upgrade-assistant process was used.

    I answered hurriedly above. Please let me know if there is something I have not clarified well enough.
    Last edited by znod; 06 Feb 2013 at 23:34.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Will the disk burnt with Win 8 ISO install full Windows 8?
Related Threads
Widows Surface: hard disk is full in Drivers & Hardware
Hi everyone, I have a problem with my tablet Windows Surface. It has 32GBs of space but it's completely full. I've tried to empty it but I seriously can't figure out what to delete. The apps take about 4-5GBs and I don't have anything else that should occupy space! I thought the memory was taken...
Hello, I am new to these forums so excuse me if I accidentally missed a step in the rules. Now my computer is a Lenovo Y500 with windows 8. A few weeks ago I heard a friend of mine was having BSOD problems and that his computer stopped booting completely. At firsts I thought that his problem...
Hello Guys, I have a copy of Windows 8.1pro 64 bit which I run on my main computer, I have an old laptop which is about 7-8 years old, I'd like to install a copy of Win 8 for test purposes and mess around with for a few months. The laptop is so old it won't let me install 64 bit, is there a...
Hi guys, I'm seeking full-disk encryption software. I want to encrypt the volume that my Windows installation is on. First of all, does Bitlocker come on the home edition of Windows 8.1? I recall on previous versions it was only available in the Pro editions. However, I would prefer to use...
Disk Reporting Full in Drivers & Hardware
My C Drive is 500GB. It reported full (it should not be) so I removed 36GB to an external drive about 3-4 weeks ago, mainly photograph files. Now, without adding any software, it telling me its full again. Any ideas why it should be doing this? This morning I released another 1.6GB of space, and...
Windows 8 Install Disk in Installation & Setup
I would like to find a method for creating a Windows 8 Install Disk after the upgrade. I had a Windows 7 bootable installation disk on a USB flash drive. Is there anyway to get a Windows 8 installation ISO or DVD cheap? (or free? :))
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook