Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Benefit of the retail package of Windows 8 Pro

  1. #21


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSIowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I upgraded three PCs to Windows 8 Pro. Two were 64-bit and one was 32-bit. I used the 64-bit ISO from one of the 64-bit systems to do a clean install on the 32-bit system, so all three are 64-bit now. The product keys are the same for both.
    How could you do that?


    Each time I upgraded one of my PCs, I downloaded the ISO for the upgrade, which is the same as the full install disk. After upgrading one of my PCs (the one that had the 32-bit version of Windows 7), I did a clean install with the 64-bit disk. All three of my PCs were upgraded to Windows 8, the clean installs were performed using the 64-bit upgrade disk by booting to the disk and starting a clean install. Once complete, you may receive the following message when trying to activate:


    "Code 0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.


    1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).


    2. Type regedit and press enter.


    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE


    4. Look for the item MediaBootInstall and set the status to 0


    5. Close regedit and head back to the command prompt that should be still open.


    6. Type slmgr /rearm and restart when prompted.



    You will have an activated clean install of Windows 8.
    I think I know the answer, but please clarify what you were running on your 3 machine at their upgrade times. I think it was 2 64-bit Win7's and 1 32-bit Win7--all upgraded to 64-bit Win8. ... You said something about all the product keys being the same. Please clarify that too.

    You mention that the ISO's yielded, in effect, full-install discs. Did you try a clean install where you formatted prior to using one of your created discs. On which type of installs did your receive "'Code 0xC004F061' Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade?" 64 bit to 64 bit, or 32 bit to 64 bit.
    Last edited by znod; 21 Jan 2013 at 07:43.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSIowdown View Post
    How could you do that?


    Each time I upgraded one of my PCs, I downloaded the ISO for the upgrade, which is the same as the full install disk. After upgrading one of my PCs (the one that had the 32-bit version of Windows 7), I did a clean install with the 64-bit disk. All three of my PCs were upgraded to Windows 8, the clean installs were performed using the 64-bit upgrade disk by booting to the disk and starting a clean install. Once complete, you may receive the following message when trying to activate:


    "Code 0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.


    1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).


    2. Type regedit and press enter.


    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE


    4. Look for the item MediaBootInstall and set the status to 0


    5. Close regedit and head back to the command prompt that should be still open.


    6. Type slmgr /rearm and restart when prompted.



    You will have an activated clean install of Windows 8.
    I think I know the answer, but please clarify what you were running on your 3 machine at their upgrade times. I think it was 2 64-bit Win7's and 1 32-bit Win7--all upgraded to 64-bit Win8. You did 3 actual upgrades, right? You said something about all the product keys being the same. Please clarify that too.
    That's the point!

    freeky1
    said all product keys are the same, that confuses me, as Microsoft's retail EULA said that only 1 computer per product key at a time
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    To upgrade from x32 to x64, you need to do a clean install.
    To downgrade from x64 to x32, you need to do a clean install.
    Its the essential part. Why do people start discussions about forced or impossible "bitness" change... It is what it is.

    So you have 64bit already installed:
    You simply put the 32bit disk in and boot with it: it will install the 32bit version following setup instructions: this is a clean install.

    So you have 32bit already installed:
    You simply put the 64bit disk in and boot with it: it will install the 64bit version following setup instructions: this is a clean install.

    The other options are from an architecture to the same (64 to 64 and 32 to 32) but with the disks inserted and booted, there will also be a clean install.

    There's nothing else to discuss about.

    Yours sincerely
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Sadly it isn't just a different extension. It is a compressed file.

    I don't think anyone has yet worked out what to with it.
    But you did.
    A converter from esd to wim if I'm right... I saw that in one of Shawn's great tutorials.

    That would solve some major problems around here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    To upgrade from x32 to x64, you need to do a clean install.
    To downgrade from x64 to x32, you need to do a clean install.
    Its the essential part. Why do people start discussions about forced or impossible "bitness" change... It is what it is.

    So you have 64bit already installed:
    You simply put the 32bit disk in and boot with it: it will install the 32bit version following setup instructions: this is a clean install.

    So you have 32bit already installed:
    You simply put the 64bit disk in and boot with it: it will install the 64bit version following setup instructions: this is a clean install.

    The other options are from an architecture to the same (64 to 64 and 32 to 32) but with the disks inserted and booted, there will also be a clean install.

    There's nothing else to discuss about.

    Yours sincerely
    Hopachi
    I think they start them because MS is confusing on the issue. And, all of us don't have the test facilities or the time needed to do obtain understanding about every conceivable case that may be encountered. Additionally, those in the know often don't provide complete or completely satisfying explanations/clarifications.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8 Pro w/ WMC on all three.


    I paid for three upgrades on three PCs, so yes, I have three different product keys. I was merely trying to let people know that the key that you receive when you do the online upgrade will work with the 32-bit or the 64-bit ISO. Also, you can do a clean install using the upgrade ISO, but you may receive that error. If you are unable to activate after doing a clean install, you can either call MS or use the process I put in my previous post to activate Windows 8. I never, at any time, stated that you could use a product key more than once, only the ISO.
    Last edited by freeky1; 21 Jan 2013 at 08:14.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    To upgrade from x32 to x64, you need to do a clean install.
    To downgrade from x64 to x32, you need to do a clean install.
    Its the essential part. Why do people start discussions about forced or impossible "bitness" change... It is what it is.

    So you have 64bit already installed:
    You simply put the 32bit disk in and boot with it: it will install the 32bit version following setup instructions: this is a clean install.

    So you have 32bit already installed:
    You simply put the 64bit disk in and boot with it: it will install the 64bit version following setup instructions: this is a clean install.

    The other options are from an architecture to the same (64 to 64 and 32 to 32) but with the disks inserted and booted, there will also be a clean install.

    There's nothing else to discuss about.

    Yours sincerely
    Hopachi
    I think they start them because MS is confusing on the issue. And, all of us don't have the test facilities or the time needed to do obtain understanding about every conceivable case that may be encountered.
    Yeah. That seems to be logic. We all go through different learning stages and one's first installs are always rising some suspense: Am I doing it right? Will I get to see my desktop again?... Ans so on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    How true.

    Note that we must have been posting simultaneously. My complete reply above was:

    "I think they start them because MS is confusing on the issue. And, all of us don't have the test facilities or the time needed to do obtain understanding about every conceivable case that may be encountered. Additionally, those in the know often don't provide complete or completely satisfying explanations/clarifications."

    I am not criticizing above. Just implying that some want more that the facts about what works; they want to eliminate their confusion given all the seemingly different and contradicting things that are said on various topics. Doing so is not always so easy. For example, see the MS quotes I posted above and their discussion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I paid for three upgrades on three PCs, so yes, I have three different product keys. I was merely trying to let people know that the key that you receive when you do the online upgrade will work with the 32-bit or the 64-bit ISO. Also, you can do a clean install using the upgrade ISO, but you may receive that error. If you are unable to activate after doing a clean install, you can either call MS or use the process I put in my previous post to activate Windows 8. I never, at any time, stated that you could use a product key more than once, only the ISO.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Before it just confuses me with the word "the product key is same for both".

    Just adding information, if you don't want to mess with the registry, right after clean install, you can directly refresh Windows 8. As described by Brink's Tutorial:
    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I made something to create an iso from the installation files.

    It doesn't convert .esd to .wim

    I don't know a way to open or mount an .esd



    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Sadly it isn't just a different extension. It is a compressed file.

    I don't think anyone has yet worked out what to with it.
    But you did.
    A converter from esd to wim if I'm right... I saw that in one of Shawn's great tutorials.

    That would solve some major problems around here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Benefit of the retail package of Windows 8 Pro
Related Threads
Solved Any hidden benefit in power plans ? in Performance & Maintenance
If the same settings are kept in both Balanced and Power Saver, are there any differences if I change the plan ?
Source : Windows 10 will come with a command line package manager, much to the lament of Linux users | ExtremeTech
Good evening (or morning) I need some advice please. I have been doing PowerPoint (Package for CD) and sending it to people so they can use the information on a touch screen kiosk. Their PC crashed and they need a new one which will be running Windows 8.1. Would anyone have any...
New Desktop (HP Pavilion 500-075). Is there any significant benefit to keeping HPDetect on the system? When it runs it seems to require an unusual amount of CPU resources and it seems to run every several days and I can't find a way to set a schedule for it to run. Would there be any adverse...
I have windows 7 home premium with retail box license in my computer. I am thinking of upgrading to windows 8 pro because of low upgrading fee but I doubt if I have a retail box license after upgrade ? I wanna keep my retail license since oem license expires if I chance my mainboard.I experienced ...
Source: Removal of Windows 8 built-in provisioned Appx package causes Sysprep to fail
Find out more.. Mobile space to heat up, Windows 8 may benefit from BYOD | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook