Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Benefit of the retail package of Windows 8 Pro

  1. #11


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I used the 64-bit ISO from one of the 64-bit systems to do a clean install on the 32-bit system ....
    Did you upgrade from here to get the ISO? If yes, then I have been interpreting what MS says in the following quote as being accurate (which sometimes just isn't the case). MS says "if your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation." Apparently, the MS writer doesn't understand, or doesn't want us to know, that we can do the same thing after using the ISO to create an install medium.

    What you apparently did is implicit in the MS quote below about upgrading using a store purchased retail 64-bit DVD. This quote only says that Windows must be running (which does not preclude you from having 32 bit running) when installing 64 bit.

    "Or if you prefer (and if it is available in your region), you can buy the upgrade as a DVD from a participating retail store [i.e., actually both 64 bit and 32 bit are included]. Note that if you're upgrading from a DVD, you must have Windows running on your PC when you begin the upgrade. If you'd like to reformat your hard drive, you can do so as long as you start your PC from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows, and not prior to it."
    Last edited by znod; 20 Jan 2013 at 20:37.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    To upgrade from x32 to x64, you need to do a clean install.
    To downgrade from x64 to x32, you need to do a clean install.
    I think that what's in the above post is what your are saying very succinctly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I upgraded three PCs to Windows 8 Pro. Two were 64-bit and one was 32-bit. I used the 64-bit ISO from one of the 64-bit systems to do a clean install on the 32-bit system, so all three are 64-bit now. The product keys are the same for both.
    How could you do that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    See post #11. Might answer your question.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    He probably downloaded from a X64 system then created the .iso or a flash drive. Once you have that, it can be installed on any computer as long as you have a valif key, right?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Apparently so with a clean install and any version of Windows running. At least that's what I concluded in post #11.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8 Pro w/ WMC on all three.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrSIowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I upgraded three PCs to Windows 8 Pro. Two were 64-bit and one was 32-bit. I used the 64-bit ISO from one of the 64-bit systems to do a clean install on the 32-bit system, so all three are 64-bit now. The product keys are the same for both.
    How could you do that?


    Each time I upgraded one of my PCs, I downloaded the ISO for the upgrade, which is the same as the full install disk. After upgrading one of my PCs (the one that had the 32-bit version of Windows 7), I did a clean install with the 64-bit disk. All three of my PCs were upgraded to Windows 8, the clean installs were performed using the 64-bit upgrade disk by booting to the disk and starting a clean install. Once complete, you may receive the following message when trying to activate:


    "Code 0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.


    1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).


    2. Type regedit and press enter.


    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE


    4. Look for the item MediaBootInstall and set the status to 0


    5. Close regedit and head back to the command prompt that should be still open.


    6. Type slmgr /rearm and restart when prompted.



    You will have an activated clean install of Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8 Pro w/ WMC on all three.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    He probably downloaded from a X64 system then created the .iso or a flash drive. Once you have that, it can be installed on any computer as long as you have a valif key, right?
    Yes. This is correct. If you don't feel comfortable editing your registry, you can call Microsoft support, and they will assist you with activating Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    What I get is:

    You use the same product key on 2 computers.

    I am totally confused.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSIowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    I upgraded three PCs to Windows 8 Pro. Two were 64-bit and one was 32-bit. I used the 64-bit ISO from one of the 64-bit systems to do a clean install on the 32-bit system, so all three are 64-bit now. The product keys are the same for both.
    How could you do that?


    Each time I upgraded one of my PCs, I downloaded the ISO for the upgrade, which is the same as the full install disk. After upgrading one of my PCs (the one that had the 32-bit version of Windows 7), I did a clean install with the 64-bit disk. All three of my PCs were upgraded to Windows 8, the clean installs were performed using the 64-bit upgrade disk by booting to the disk and starting a clean install. Once complete, you may receive the following message when trying to activate:


    "Code 0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.


    1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).


    2. Type regedit and press enter.


    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE


    4. Look for the item MediaBootInstall and set the status to 0


    5. Close regedit and head back to the command prompt that should be still open.


    6. Type slmgr /rearm and restart when prompted.



    You will have an activated clean install of Windows 8.
    I think I know the answer, but please clarify what you were running on your 3 machine at their upgrade times. I think it was 2 64-bit Win7's and 1 32-bit Win7--all upgraded to 64-bit Win8. You did 3 actual upgrades, right? You said something about all the product keys being the same. Please clarify that too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Benefit of the retail package of Windows 8 Pro
Related Threads
Solved Any hidden benefit in power plans ? in Performance & Maintenance
If the same settings are kept in both Balanced and Power Saver, are there any differences if I change the plan ?
Source : Windows 10 will come with a command line package manager, much to the lament of Linux users | ExtremeTech
Good evening (or morning) I need some advice please. I have been doing PowerPoint (Package for CD) and sending it to people so they can use the information on a touch screen kiosk. Their PC crashed and they need a new one which will be running Windows 8.1. Would anyone have any...
New Desktop (HP Pavilion 500-075). Is there any significant benefit to keeping HPDetect on the system? When it runs it seems to require an unusual amount of CPU resources and it seems to run every several days and I can't find a way to set a schedule for it to run. Would there be any adverse...
I have windows 7 home premium with retail box license in my computer. I am thinking of upgrading to windows 8 pro because of low upgrading fee but I doubt if I have a retail box license after upgrade ? I wanna keep my retail license since oem license expires if I chance my mainboard.I experienced ...
Source: Removal of Windows 8 built-in provisioned Appx package causes Sysprep to fail
Find out more.. Mobile space to heat up, Windows 8 may benefit from BYOD | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook