Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can I install Windows8upgrade without Windows7 installed.

  1. #1

    Can I install Windows8upgrade without Windows7 installed?


    Hi have had a search so sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

    I want to install Windows8upgrade (just downloading the ISO now).

    I have my Windows7ultimate 64 and have two questions :

    1) I want to do a fresh install of Windows8 on my SSD drive. Do I have to install Windows7ultimate first or can I just install WIndows8 from the ISO I am downloading from the windows8 setup using this guide? :
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...edownload.html

    2) If I don't have to installWindows7 prior to installing the Windows8upgrade will I lose any functions from the Windows7Ultimate edition to the Windows8 Upgrade? I have purchased Windows8Pro.

    Thank you for your time and help.

    M

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Wynnum Australia
    Posts : 466
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64


    You should be able to do a clean installation, but there are some people where it didn't work.

    There would be also the option to get one of the following MSDN-ISO's:

    - en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso
    - en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    This tutorial by Shawn..

    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

    may help. Hope it does. Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by mfx View Post
    Hi have had a search so sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

    I want to install Windows8upgrade (just downloading the ISO now).

    I have my Windows7ultimate 64 and have two questions :

    1) I want to do a fresh install of Windows8 on my SSD drive. Do I have to install Windows7ultimate first or can I just install WIndows8 from the ISO I am downloading from the windows8 setup using this guide? :
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...edownload.html

    2) If I don't have to installWindows7 prior to installing the Windows8upgrade will I lose any functions from the Windows7Ultimate edition to the Windows8 Upgrade? I have purchased Windows8Pro.

    Thank you for your time and help.

    M
    I assume you are talking about installing 8 on a separate drive possibly on a separate computer and leaving 7 installed. That's not allowed by the 8 EULA if you are an upgrading; your 7 installation on the other drive/computer would have to be uninstalled. The installation also should not work without having an older version of Win installed on the same drive/partition. Do you have Vista or XP that you can install? Install on the SSD if possible, and then upgrade whichever you install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mfx View Post
    Hi have had a search so sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

    I want to install Windows8upgrade (just downloading the ISO now).

    I have my Windows7ultimate 64 and have two questions :

    1) I want to do a fresh install of Windows8 on my SSD drive. Do I have to install Windows7ultimate first or can I just install WIndows8 from the ISO I am downloading from the windows8 setup using this guide? :
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...edownload.html

    2) If I don't have to installWindows7 prior to installing the Windows8upgrade will I lose any functions from the Windows7Ultimate edition to the Windows8 Upgrade? I have purchased Windows8Pro.

    Thank you for your time and help.

    M
    I assume you are talking about installing 8 on a separate drive possibly on a separate computer and leaving 7 installed. That's not allowed by the 8 EULA if you are an upgrading; your 7 installation on the other drive/computer would have to be uninstalled. The installation also should not work without having an older version of Win installed on the same drive/partition. Do you have Vista or XP that you can install? Install on the SSD if possible, and then upgrade whichever you install.
    No this is not what I mean.

    One system - one OS hard drive.

    All I am wanting to do is fresh install Windows8 and wondering if I can do this without the need to go through the whole fresh Windows7 install then installing the Windows8 update.

    As quoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderful Wenda View Post
    This tutorial by Shawn..

    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

    may help. Hope it does. Wenda.
    This is what I want to do.

    In other words :

    PC + SSD drive with no date install Windows8 on it, Winodws7 is now redundant as the license has now transferred to the Windows8 install.

    Hope that clears things up

    From what you are saying is that I DO HAVE to install Windows7 and theninstall the Windows8 update?

    Peace

    M
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Cool, check out this thread for some support in doing what you want to do. See post #4. But, my understanding it that, even if doing a clean install, Win8 upgrade checks to see if an older system is present before allowing the upgrade. I'll let you know if I find info to the contrary.
    Last edited by znod; 05 Jan 2013 at 07:58.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    1) I want to do a fresh install of Windows8 on my SSD drive. Do I have to install Windows7ultimate first or can I just install WIndows8 from the ISO I am downloading from the windows8 setup using this guide? :
    No need to reinstall old Windows install.

    Yes, you can do a clean install:
    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade


    2) If I don't have to installWindows7 prior to installing the Windows8upgrade will I lose any functions from the Windows7Ultimate edition to the Windows8 Upgrade? I have purchased Windows8Pro.
    You lose all functions & use of Windows 7.

    https://www.eightforums.com/general-d...ws-8-eula.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    So just to be absolutely clear.

    I can install the Windows8 upgrade on my now formatted hard drive which formerly had the Windows7 upgrade which is now redundant and 'in the kitchens waste bin' so to speak.

    It is worth noting that my official disk of Windows7Ultimate is a multi-install license direct from microsoft and not OEM. But that is not for this thread The only reason I will reinstall windows7 totally removing Windows8 is if I should have severe existing software comptiblity problems ie software security dongles and so on.

    Do I loose any functions in the Windows7Ultimate 64 compared to Windows8Pro. I will only This is just for reference and awareness.

    Thanks again people
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    1) Yes, you can clean install.

    2) If your OEM PC, came with Preinstalled Windows Vista, than you are upgrading from OEM Vista, not from the Windows 7 upgrade.

    3) You can compare editions here:
    Compare Windows 8 Editions
    Compare Windows 7 Editions - Windows 7 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    OP:

    theog knows his stuff, but FWIW, below is what MS says about prior OS and installing with a disc. Should be the same with an install flash drive, an ISO, or an in-place install. Here's the link to the quote:

    "Or if you prefer (and if it is available in your region), you can buy the upgrade as a DVD from a participating retail store. Note that if you're upgrading from a DVD, you must have Windows running on your PC when you begin the upgrade. If you'd like to reformat your hard drive, you can do so as long as you start your PC from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows, and not prior to it."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Can I install Windows8upgrade without Windows7 installed.
Related Threads
Hi Windows 8 forums, I'm from Windows 7 and don't know much about windows 8. I wanted to know if my laptop came pre-installed with windows 8 (not sure what edition), can I just boot amsdn/digitalriver/technet/RETAIL copy of Windows 8 , run a clean install deleting all the partitions on my computer...
Hi, can someone please give me a step by step guide for Step1 - C – IF YOU ARE IN DOS / FREEDOS I have burned the driver files as a data DVD but don't know how to run the disk and downgrade the bios in dos and the model I have came with no windows os thank you ...
Hi, I am running windows8 pro 32 bit, with a Xerox workcentre 3119 laser printer attached to it, by usb. It prints fine. But... I have a homegroup with a windows7 home premium 64 bit machine on it. I did a clean reinstall on the windows7 pc, and now I can't print to the Xerox from the windows7...
If I am reading the upgrade assistant info correctly, I would have to track down all my installation disks for apps even if they are compatible. I never got around to putting windows 7 on a PC with VISTA, but I did buy it. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to Windows 7 and then upgrade to...
Ok so I am trying to install Win 8 (x64) which I downloaded from TechNet as an upgrade on my Win 7 (64) laptop with 8GB of memory. I have run the burned ISO from within Win 7, but it then gives me this error code: You need to install at least 2GB of RAM before you can install and run Windows...
Windows8 v Windows7 in General Support
G'day, Can anyone point me to a laymans description of the primary differences between 7 and 8? 7 has just barely been out there, so why the move to 8? Is there some big breakthrough in multi-threading or soemthing else? How is 8 going to be better over 7 - has MS released anything on that? ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook