Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to clean reinstall OEM Windows 8 (non-Pro)?

  1. #41


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    They came with Windows 7 pre-installed. We did put 8 on a couple of them for the guys with MSDN agreements who had licenses.
    That's probably why it was so simple with 7. Windows 8 has other things with new PCs that makes things complicated over 7.
    The default OS on the machine was Windows 7, so I am hopefully that they won't have made radical changes to make things difficult.
    I would bet they did. The laptop I worked on from ASUS was just a simple Windows 7 machine, released like in 2011 or 2010 I think. I don't remember, but they just changed the Start key, put the new Windows 8 sticker on the bottom, and I bet might had updated their boards for Windows 8, along with probably a Windows 8 approved touchpad. That's also partly why Microsoft is pooping on their OEMs a bit because at launch of Windows 8, there were and still are more non-touch systems that are basically updated Windows 7 PCs for 8. Which I never understood as to why that is as they had like two years to get poop in a group for a new Windows version for touch screens.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    Isn't the license agreement tied to the key? is there any difference in the media itself that ties a specific license to it?
    My interpretation it that the Win8 OEM/preinstalled, "standard," and system-builder EULAs all require both the product key and "the" software be transferred (among other things including the computer in the case of OEM/preinstalled) at the same time and forfeiture of all use rights (including removal from the retained computer in the two non-OEM/preinstalled cases) (see Windows 8 EULA). So, including the case of, for example, Technet software, there is no way an individual can obtain "the" software in a terms-of-agreement consistent way without paying the price--as mentioned in my original post. In this regard, I ignored the possibility of legitimate transfer since such a case was not within the confines of the circumstances begin discussed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    Isn't the license agreement tied to the key? is there any difference in the media itself that ties a specific license to it?
    My interpretation it that the Win8 OEM/preinstalled, "standard," and system-builder EULAs all require both the product key and "the" software be transferred (among other things including the computer in the case of OEM/preinstalled) at the same time and forfeiture of all use rights (including removal from the retained computer in the two non-OEM/preinstalled cases) (see Windows 8 EULA). So, including the case of, for example, Technet software, there is no way an individual can obtain "the" software in a terms-of-agreement consistent way without paying the price--as mentioned in my original post. In this regard, I ignored the possibility of legitimate transfer since such a case was not within the confines of the circumstances begin discussed.
    The OEM manufacturer Windows 8 OEM/preinstalled is non-transferrable, stays with the OEM manufacturer PC for life.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Thanks. Agreed. In my prior post, did you see "(among other things including the computer in the case of OEM/preinstalled)"? What you say is what I was getting at.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    [QUOTE=theog;200288][QUOTE=znod;200251]
    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post

    The OEM manufacturer Windows 8 OEM/preinstalled is non-transferrable, stays with the OEM manufacturer PC for life.
    Yes it does ,and a retail dvd or iso copy of windows will not work with that oem key .like ones from msdn or technet if you try to use one to reinstall windows on the oem computer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    My understanding is the the OEM key will work in the cases you are talking about (actually is the only thing that will work), although an OEM key cannot be used to obtain an ISO--at least in OPTION 1 discussed here: Windows 8 Upgrade ISO - Download or Create.
    Last edited by znod; 09 Mar 2013 at 14:49.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    You can reinstall a OEM manufacturer Windows 8 OEM/preinstalled, with a Retail, technet, as the installer will see the Key code in the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You can reinstall a OEM manufacturer Windows 8 OEM/preinstalled, with a Retail, technet, as the installer will see the Key code in the BIOS.
    i have yet to have it work for me when i tried using the technet/msdn disks,always just tells me its the wrong key.

    im refering to clean installs and not upgrade so i guess that's why its not working for me when i try using them
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You can reinstall a OEM manufacturer Windows 8 OEM/preinstalled, with a Retail, technet, as the installer will see the Key code in the BIOS.
    i have yet to have it work for me when i tried using the technet/msdn disks,always just tells me its the wrong key.

    im refering to clean installs and not upgrade so i guess that's why its not working for me when i try using them

    When i did it using an MSDN disc, on an Acer All-in-One computer which came with WIndows 8 and had the key in the BIOS, during the install it never asked me which OS I wanted (8 std or 8 pro) and it never asked me for a key. It simply installed. When I connected to the Internet for the first time after the install, it simply activated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    That's probably why it was so simple with 7. Windows 8 has other things with new PCs that makes things complicated over 7.
    The default OS on the machine was Windows 7, so I am hopefully that they won't have made radical changes to make things difficult.
    I would bet they did. The laptop I worked on from ASUS was just a simple Windows 7 machine, released like in 2011 or 2010 I think. I don't remember, but they just changed the Start key, put the new Windows 8 sticker on the bottom, and I bet might had updated their boards for Windows 8, along with probably a Windows 8 approved touchpad. That's also partly why Microsoft is pooping on their OEMs a bit because at launch of Windows 8, there were and still are more non-touch systems that are basically updated Windows 7 PCs for 8. Which I never understood as to why that is as they had like two years to get poop in a group for a new Windows version for touch screens.

    Ok, Coke. Dell did implement the UEFI stuff, secure boot and GPT partitions. But instead of having to screw around and figure out what to change to make everything work in legacy mode, if you hit the F12 key to get the boot menu, you get a nice little option to "Change Boot Mode Settings"


    You simply pick that, walk through a couple of screens and it makes all of the changes for you.




    And that was it. Was able to use the Windows 8 media that came with the Dell and am reinstallling Windows 8 Pro 64bit as I type this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
How to clean reinstall OEM Windows 8 (non-Pro)?
Related Threads
I am looking to perform a clean reinstall on a PC that I built 4 years ago. Original OS was Windows Vista. I upgraded to Win 8 when it came out by digital download. Has also been upgraded to Win 8.1 in the last few months. Performed clean install of Win 8 on new SSD drive (C) but kept Win...
Clean reinstall in Installation & Setup
Hi If I do a clean re instal of windows 8, will it move all my pics and bits to a windows old file or will it wipe them? Thanks.
My laptop is still running Vista, so when I upgrade to Windows 8, I'll have to do a clean install. I don't mind having to re-install all my programs, but I need to be certain I'll be able to re-install Office 2007, since there's no way I'm going to buy it twice for a single computer. I've...
Solved Need an .iso to do a clean reinstall in Installation & Setup
So fun situation I find myself in, I purchased an SSD to install in my laptop (my laptop supports 2 hard drives). The laptop came preinstalled with windows 8, I do have back up images of my current set up, but the hard drive that I am currently using is much larger and has much more data than the...
clean REINSTALL of windows 8 in Installation & Setup
I recently upgraded to windows 8 pro from my windows 7 machine. I chose the "keep files and settings" upgrade option . There is a problem with extremely slow web browsing ( must be the computer as other devices are fine on the same net ) and launching games (errors occur ). I figured maybe it...
Which is better ? Refresh PC or Clean Reinstall ?​
Couple of days a go I purchased a HP H9 1120A with Windows 7 Pre installed. The reason for choosing this PC was due to its high end CPU & 120 GB SSD Drive. I went through the upgrade process and and installed the Windows 8 (I also made a USB media back up of tehh Win 8 install files). All went...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook