Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Moving pre-installed Windows 8 from HDD to SSD

  1. #21


    Posts : 25
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

    Why not do it the EASY WAY.
    I tried that already. I made the recovery USB drive, not DVD, following the instructions found here. However it stated at the top that that cannot be used to install Windows 8. Indeed, the link that you originally posted also explicitly states this: "A recovery USB flash drive cannot be used to install Windows 8." I tried it anyway, and when I tried to boot from the USB with the SSD inside it wouldn't work. This whole trial and error process is detailed in my initial post. I see no other options that would allow me to accomplish what I want.

    Frankly, the EASY WAY would have been to include installation discs for Windows 8 with the laptop. I have done fresh OS installs on my old laptop (that is, the one I am replacing) and it was painless and simple with the discs. Put the DVD in. Shut down the computer. Turn the computer on. Boom, the rest is automated. I do not consider myself computer illiterate, but I am also not a CS geek who likes to tinker with OS and have top of the line computers (that's not intended to be derogatory, although now that I reread it, it sounds like it could be taken that way.) I can figure things out if they are presented in a clear, intelligible way. Right now, from my vantage point, Microsoft purposefully made this process as difficult as possible.





      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Take a good look at your manual:

    Quote Originally Posted by LENOVO
    When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced
    because of a failure, no
    product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
    Recovery Disc Set for the computer.

    Order the Recovery Disc Set
    and the drive at
    the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
    software when they arrive.
    The Recovery Disc Set consists of the following set of DVDs to restore the
    computer to the original factory configuration.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 22
    xp32 home /xp32 pro /vista64 /win7 64 /win8 64


    1) is there a reason you cant make the dvd set to use in this process that i have missed ?
    2) go back to disk management and select your ssd drive and delete volume and then create the volume and let your clone program create every thing itself when
    you start the cloning process
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 25
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by chinga69 View Post
    1) is there a reason you cant make the dvd set to use in this process that i have missed ?
    2) go back to disk management and select your ssd drive and delete volume and then create the volume and let your clone program create every thing itself when
    you start the cloning process
    1) When you say the words "dvd set" what are you actually referring to? I have been consistently using the vocabulary "installation discs" to refer to a DVD (or a set of DVDs) from which you can install an OS onto a blank hard drive. That is, you can install from the DVDs without needing to have an operating OS. These "installation discs" did not come with the laptop. In addition, I am not currently aware of a process that can be done with Windows 8 that can create such "installation discs." User theog originally responded with 3 links. The first describes how to create a system image. The second describes how to create a "recovery drive," which cannot be used to install Windows 8, and thus are not equivalent to "installation discs." The third describes how to create a "system repair disc," which to me seems like a weaker version of the "recovery drive." It also cannot be used to install Windows 8.


    I currently have a 20 GB backup on a USB flash drive. It contains a .wsi backup file and a bunch of numbered files. I made this via the OneKey recovery process. From my initial post: "After that, I tried to use that image on my USB to reinstall Windows 8 from the "Advanced Setup" screen, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. You can get to a section that asks for an image somewhere, but it wants one from the HDD, not from the USB." I just now found a link that might help me with the step that I was stuck at, and that is this link here.
    There could be a problem with this image process in general though. This link states that the new drive must be larger than the old drive. My new drive is half the size of the old drive.

    2) I did the SSD cloning process correctly. Everything went automatically after I chose the partition sizes. I tried to boot from the SSD clone, still in the enclosure, and it could not get to the desktop/Start screen. It also failed to use the recovery partition on the SSD to reinstall Windows on the SSD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    During creation of the Recovery drive, you have the option to copy the contents of the oem recovery partition onto it as well.

    The idea is you should be able to use that to restore your os to out of the box condition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Take a good look at your manual:

    Quote Originally Posted by LENOVO
    When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced
    because of a failure, no
    product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
    Recovery Disc Set for the computer.

    Order the Recovery Disc Set
    and the drive at
    the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
    software when they arrive.
    The Recovery Disc Set consists of the following set of DVDs to restore the
    computer to the original factory configuration.
    All you need to know is in your manual, Which parts of I have copy & paste over.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 25
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    During creation of the Recovery drive, you have the option to copy the contents of the oem recovery partition onto it as well.

    The idea is you should be able to use that to restore your os to out of the box condition.
    This is the first thing that I tried. I made a Recovery drive with the option checked to copy the recovery partition. It was 29 GB total. Is there a guide to use that "recovery partition drive" to install on a DIFFERENT hard drive (in my case, my SSD) that does NOT HAVE an operating system on it? Or should that process be straight forward and I just somehow messed up a step before when I tried it (the step may have been having an unformatted SSD, however with the way it was acting before I don't know if that would help anyway)?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 25
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Take a good look at your manual:

    Quote Originally Posted by LENOVO
    When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced
    because of a failure, no
    product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
    Recovery Disc Set for the computer.

    Order the Recovery Disc Set
    and the drive at
    the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
    software when they arrive.
    The Recovery Disc Set consists of the following set of DVDs to restore the
    computer to the original factory configuration.
    All you need to know is in your manual, Which parts of I have copy & paste over.
    In reality, the option of ordering a recovery disc set is currently not available for me. I am on break from grad school, and thus am at my permanent home. Before I came back I was reassigned housing, so I actually don't have an address to send the discs to at school AND, assuming it will take longer than 9 days, I can't send them to the permanent address either because I am leaving in 9 days to drive back.

    So I CAN do this option once my new address is available to me. However, by that point, I will have had my new laptop for over 5 weeks without it being my main laptop. I may just give up because this is ridiculously frustrating. I have put this process off for too long and I was determined to make the switch before I went back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 22
    xp32 home /xp32 pro /vista64 /win7 64 /win8 64


    hi have you tried to put the ssd in to the laptop and remove the other drive and then boot from it
    i would think you wont get it to boot while it is in the enclosure
    Last edited by chinga69; 27 Dec 2012 at 02:37.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    I would look for a 3rd party Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.



    The only 3rd party software that I know of, that fully supports Windows 8 is PARAGON 12.

    Paragon 12 now supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.

    PARAGON Software Group - partition manager, drive backup, hard disk partitioning
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Moving pre-installed Windows 8 from HDD to SSD
Related Threads
Hello Eightforums, Yesterday when i went to bed my computer had an update which required for it to configure and i left it there while i went to bed. When i woke up this morning it was still there, i tried restarting my computer and getting access to the recovery partition, which is not...
Hi there. I was wondering is there was a way to get round a metro tile issue that has been annoying me for a while. Basically you can move windows 8 tiles right and left but if you have multiple rows you cannot directly swap tiles up and down. For example imagine I have two rows of tiles each...
so I was downloading the updates to windows 8.1, but it wasn't going anywhere so I rebooted. Then on reboot, I try again and it's not showing up on the store. I hit the back button a few times and saw the link again, but it says it's already installed. Now I am pretty sure it didn't get...
Moving to Windows 8.1 Query in General Support
I've been running Vista Ultimate SP2 for the past few years, mainly for support of Complete PC Backup and Restore and SUA applications. Now I'm facing a dilemma. My system disk failed, but luckily I had a recent Complete PC Backup volume and simply used that to restore to a new disk using...
Hi all, I had a laptop running Windows XP. When Windows 8 came out, I downloaded Windows 8 Pro upgrade (when it was something like 25 or whatever.) I clean-installed it and also upgraded to WMC edition when Microsoft were giving this away for free. Now that PC is kind of dying (it is about...
Hi all, yesterday I moved to windows 8 and quite happy right now, fantastic performance and also noticed the the LAN performance improved dramatically (20 MB rate of file transfer) never been with this rates. but 2 things concerne me know : 1. I am planning to replace my HDD to SSD in...
Moving to windows 8 in General Support
Hey, i was wondering if it is still too soon to start trying out Windows 8. I used windows 7 beta without any problems, because it was ready but needed a little polishing. Are games compatible with it? Are there any downsides? From what i could see, the UI changed a lot. It looks like a smart...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook