Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Dual HD

  1. #21


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The Windows 7 DVD will not boot to install, as all New PC's have Secure Boot.
    as I said in my other post .it didn't stop my win7 dvd from booting ,but I may have something to do with it being done on a 5 year old Dell maybe not , im not sure if secure boot is in the bios or other chip on new motherboard

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack
    I have Windows 8 on older Dell

    I may have something to do with it being done on a 5 year old Dell maybe not

    With no uEFI BIOS & no Secure Boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8.1


    Since I'm not even CLOSE to being techie, I'll stick with the easy way...just 2 win8's on one machine. I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Can't remember why or what I was doing this for but when I started up my new computer I just kept hitting f12 and was able to go into bios...I remember it saying UEFI somewhere...so that's all I would have to do to boot into the second drive, right? Just hit f12?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by andreah1 View Post
    Since I'm not even CLOSE to being techie, I'll stick with the easy way...just 2 win8's on one machine. I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Can't remember why or what I was doing this for but when I started up my new computer I just kept hitting f12 and was able to go into bios...I remember it saying UEFI somewhere...so that's all I would have to do to boot into the second drive, right? Just hit f12?
    No, let Repair run first.
    Automatic Repair - Run in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    This is a holy mess. I think I'll go Android.
    NO, go Windows 9.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8.1


    Argh, now that's starting to make me feel like I shouldn't bother now, I'm so afraid of screwing with the #1 HD. Seems too complicated for this brain.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 1,121
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Your Bios may have an option called CSM. For a Windows 8 Secure Boot it needs to be disabled. If you have the option to enable it and make sure the settings are correct, you should be able to boot into Windows 7, assuming your configuration works otherwise.

    On my ASUS Z77 board, if I have secure boot enabled, and boot into Windows 7, it sends me back to the bios and tells me a change has been made for compatibility. The change is to enable the CSM, and after that Windows 7 boots fine.

    I however, do not have a new Windows 8 OEM system to test. And there will be problems with things like Graphics cards not being able to pass the Secure Boot test.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 446
    Win 8 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post

    as I said in my other post .it didn't stop my win7 dvd from booting ,but I may have something to do with it being done on a 5 year old Dell maybe not , im not sure if secure boot is in the bios or other chip on new motherboard
    Yeah, I have a mobile rack and just slot a 2nd drive into it, swap the drives over in BIOS and boot.

    What 'theog' is saying is the problems start on new machines with UEFI and Secure Boot, as it won't let you do that. To be honest UEFI sounds like a bit of a pain.

    I assume that businesses who to use full disc encryption will only be able to use Bitlocker as well?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    Your Bios may have an option called CSM. For a Windows 8 Secure Boot it needs to be disabled. If you have the option to enable it and make sure the settings are correct, you should be able to boot into Windows 7, assuming your configuration works otherwise.

    On my ASUS Z77 board, if I have secure boot enabled, and boot into Windows 7, it sends me back to the bios and tells me a change has been made for compatibility. The change is to enable the CSM, and after that Windows 7 boots fine.

    I however, do not have a new Windows 8 OEM system to test. And there will be problems with things like Graphics cards not being able to pass the Secure Boot test.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post

    as I said in my other post .it didn't stop my win7 dvd from booting ,but I may have something to do with it being done on a 5 year old Dell maybe not , im not sure if secure boot is in the bios or other chip on new motherboard
    Yeah, I have a mobile rack and just slot a 2nd drive into it, swap the drives over in BIOS and boot.

    What 'theog' is saying is the problems start on new machines with UEFI and Secure Boot, as it won't let you do that. To be honest UEFI sounds like a bit of a pain.

    I assume that businesses who to use full disc encryption will only be able to use Bitlocker as well?

    all needs to done right, you may end up with a BRICK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xameleon
    i have sucessfully downgrade to windows 7 on a sony vaio but i have a big problem because im idiot
    please help me to find a solution
    i cant edit bios settings or boot from other device
    i install windows 7 MBR not GPT and i set on bios uefi off
    i dont care if uefi is on or off just need to have access on my bios
    i havent backup of windows 8 preinstalled os so i cant do anythink :/
    please help me!

    btw not available bios update from sony for my model
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8.1


    That's why I think I'm not going to bother, darn it, really liked having the other hard drive with it's own OS on it but life goes on...I'll leave it in my other computer and just bring it up from the cellar if it's ever really needed. Sorry I opened a can of worms here!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Dual HD
Related Threads
how to dual boot in Installation & Setup
If possible can you give me the procedures or a video to show how to dual boot please. I do appreciate that. Thank you.
Dual booting Win 8.1 x64 and Win XP in Installation & Setup
Good day, I'm a new user here and thought that I should ask my question here as well before attempting to setup a dual boot with Win 8.1 and Win XP. Just a quick break down of my current setup: a) Win 8.1 x64 is currently installed on my SSD on C:\ drive partition b) On a different SATA...
My computer has Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on an SSD. It's that free Windows 8DL MS offered before Windows 8 was released. My son did the 8.1 upgrade. This is the boot drive. The second OS is Windows 7 Ult. x64 on an HHD. Until last week, the SSD had Windows 7, and 8 was on the HDD. The SSD is...
I cloned my existing Windows installation (8.1 pro, 32 bit) onto my new SSD. I got everything up and running, and I still have my old Windows installation on one of the partitions of my HDD. Can I turn this setup into a dual boot? I think this could be useful, in case the new installation gets...
dual GPU's in Graphic Cards
OK....this may sound weird....I have 2 AMD HD GPU's...an XFX 6790 (primary) and Powercolor 4870 (shelved). Can I have both installed with out using crossfire? I have and extra PCIe slot...x 8 and I want to install it just to be able to connect 2 more monitors. I want to do this soley for the...
Solved Dual NIC Issue in Network & Sharing
Hello, I've been stumped all day at work. Maybe one of you can help me with this issue. Got a new Windows 8 Pro PC for work and I set it up today. It has two NIC cards, one for the Internet and one for an internal network. Both networks set up as private, the internal one listed as...
For those who dual boot. in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, I would like to know if any of you who dual boot see any performance difference between 2 OS. I dual boot on my laptop with Win 7 and Win 8 ,both 64 bits and using the latest version of VLC player on both of them i can see that the video playback is smoother on Win 7 than in Win 8 for the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook