Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


can i download and install on different pc ?

  1. #1

    can i download and install on different pc ?


    can i download the windows 8 ISO and burn to dvd and then install on a different pc or is the downloaded ISO somehow tied to the pc its downloaded on. the reason i ask is because i have several different systems and if the ISO was somehow tied to the system i would need to download a different ISO for each system and make seperate install backups for each

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Yes you can.

    information   Information
    If you need to download 32bit Windows 8, download from a 32bit PC.
    If you need to download 64bit Windows 8, download from a 64bit PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Yes. once you purchase and after the download is completed, it will ask you if you want to install right away or install later. the latter has two options, where it either makes an ISO or creates a folder with the install files.

    Either works, but the latter means you don't need to install an .iso mounting utility (which should be uninstalled once you upgrade, as W8 has it's own system)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    I'm not trying to be stupid, I just want to clarify.

    If I purchase the upgarde and download it on a 64 bit system and then create and ISO, that ISO will only be able to install on a 64bit system? Therefore I would not be able to use that ISO to install on a 32 bit system. Is this correct

    To do that I would need to purchase the disc for Windows 8 Pro Disc for $69.99 to be able to install on either 32bit or 64bit from the same disc?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Duke, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Sorry, but the ISO or DVD should be the same 32-bit or 64-bit as the system it's being installed on.


    While you could use a 32-bit ISO or DVD on a 64-bit system, but then you wouldn't have 64-bit Windows 8 installed unless you used a 64-bit ISO or DVD.

    You can't use a 64-bit ISO or DVD on a 32-bit system.


    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    You would have to download again on the 32-bit computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    You would have to download again on the 32-bit computer.
    Thanks. Does the serial key work on both versions (64bit and 32bit)?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Duke, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Sorry, but the ISO or DVD should be the same 32-bit or 64-bit as the system it's being installed on.


    While you could use a 32-bit ISO or DVD on a 64-bit system, but then you wouldn't have 64-bit Windows 8 installed unless you used a 64-bit ISO or DVD.

    You can't use a 64-bit ISO or DVD on a 32-bit system.


    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

    Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking. When I was working through the steps to purchase the dvd on the windows.com site, I went all the way to giving my payment information before I stopped because there was nowhere to select a 32bit or 64bit.

    Has anybody purchased the disc?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by duke69111 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    You would have to download again on the 32-bit computer.
    Thanks. Does the serial key work on both versions (64bit and 32bit)?
    Yes, but both can't be activated with the same key at the same time.


    Quote Originally Posted by duke69111 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Duke, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Sorry, but the ISO or DVD should be the same 32-bit or 64-bit as the system it's being installed on.


    While you could use a 32-bit ISO or DVD on a 64-bit system, but then you wouldn't have 64-bit Windows 8 installed unless you used a 64-bit ISO or DVD.

    You can't use a 64-bit ISO or DVD on a 32-bit system.


    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

    Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking. When I was working through the steps to purchase the dvd on the windows.com site, I went all the way to giving my payment information before I stopped because there was nowhere to select a 32bit or 64bit.

    Has anybody purchased the disc?

    As you discovered, the Windows download from Microsoft matches the system from which you initiate the download from. If you purchase the DVD on a 32-bit Windows system, then your DVD will also be 32-bit. If you purchase the DVD on a 64-bit Windows system, then your DVD will also be 64-bit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duke69111 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    You would have to download again on the 32-bit computer.
    Thanks. Does the serial key work on both versions (64bit and 32bit)?
    Yes, but both can't be activated with the same key at the same time.


    Quote Originally Posted by duke69111 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Duke, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Sorry, but the ISO or DVD should be the same 32-bit or 64-bit as the system it's being installed on.


    While you could use a 32-bit ISO or DVD on a 64-bit system, but then you wouldn't have 64-bit Windows 8 installed unless you used a 64-bit ISO or DVD.

    You can't use a 64-bit ISO or DVD on a 32-bit system.


    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

    Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking. When I was working through the steps to purchase the dvd on the windows.com site, I went all the way to giving my payment information before I stopped because there was nowhere to select a 32bit or 64bit.

    Has anybody purchased the disc?

    As you discovered, the Windows download from Microsoft matches the system from which you initiate the download from. If you purchase the DVD on a 32-bit Windows system, then your DVD will also be 32-bit. If you purchase the DVD on a 64-bit Windows system, then your DVD will also be 64-bit.
    Perfect. This is what I was after.

    Microsoft could save themselves a lot of questions if their website on the main page for the download and the disc just stated, We scanned your computer and this is the version you get.

    Thanks everybody for your help and the fast replies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
can i download and install on different pc ?
Related Threads
Each time I try to download NLOP (national league of poker) I get shut down. I have shut off my Norton but still did not work. Thanks
I'd rather download an 8.1 ISO so I don't have to first install Windows 8 then install the 8.1 upgrade. Is this going to be possible? Will Microsoft allow us to download the ISO? Or is this through the normal update process? I don't know how the preview went because I didn't go through with the...
Hi there, Just got a new laptop recently that came with Windows 8 installed. And as with all windows computers, it also came bundled with a whole host of crap third party softwares that I have no interest in (die Norton, die). Anyway, I've installed most of them, but am finding that my laptop...
When i going to download .Net Framework 3.5 (include .net 2.0 and 3.0) using the windows features, I got the error 0x800F0906in many times... then i try to install using with DISM using the below command, dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3/Source:J:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess ...
6563 My Packard Bell updater needs .NET framework 2.0 (included in .NET framework 3.5) - Windows Features goes to Windows Update and fails. First automatically when the program requests the missing feature. Secondly when I go to Windows Control Panel Features and try to update directly. My...
Install and download on seperate PC in Installation & Setup
has anybody tried downloading and burning the ISO then installing and activating on a different computer than it was originally downloaded on ?. i have 3 PC's but i only intend to install on 2, would i need to download an ISO on each PC i intended to install on using the same burned ISO to match...
W8 Download and Install in Installation & Setup
For some reason my cementmixer (brain) told me I could set up W8 in the following manner BUT it was a failure. I used this procedure over 30 years ago on large IBM mainframes. The following was my logic: On the C drive I only have 1 partition which is used for W7 files etc. I used diskmgmt to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook