Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Upgrade Promo - Can I download now and install later ( before SP1) ???

  1. #1


    Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

    Upgrade Promo - Can I download now and install later ( before SP1) ???


    I'd like to buy the upgrade now (with the Media center add-on) and burn the ISO.

    But I want to wait until SP1 is released before I install....

    Is there any time limit for installation on the $39.99 Upgrade Promotion?

    Can I download the free Media add-on without doing the installation before?

    Anyone with knowledge on this out there????

    CS

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    YES, to all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    YES, to all.


    Hmmm... Yes to all means also Yes to the 1st question....

    So if there is a time limit to install... What is it?



    CS
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I don't think it would make sense to have a time limit if you made the .iso

    How do MS know if you may need to reinstall in a couple of years?

    They say you can install it "later". No time limit given.



    What media add on download? With Pro edition, you only need to download the key for that.

    Is there some extra media thing I have missed?

    There are some updates - quite large already.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)


    This makes sense.... Thanks.

    I just discovered about the Media center key myself, so that question is withdrawn!

    SO i guess this question has been Solved.
    Thanks to all.

    CS


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I don't think it would make sense to have a time limit if you made the .iso

    How do MS know if you may need to reinstall in a couple of years?

    They say you can install it "later". No time limit given.



    What media add on download? With Pro edition, you only need to download the key for that.

    Is there some extra media thing I have missed?

    There are some updates - quite large already.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicSurfer View Post
    This makes sense.... Thanks.

    I just discovered about the Media center key myself, so that question is withdrawn!

    SO i guess this question has been Solved.
    Thanks to all.

    CS


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I don't think it would make sense to have a time limit if you made the .iso

    How do MS know if you may need to reinstall in a couple of years?

    They say you can install it "later". No time limit given.



    What media add on download? With Pro edition, you only need to download the key for that.

    Is there some extra media thing I have missed?


    There are some updates - quite large already.
    "Your product key must be activated no later than January 31, 2013" - media center

    From the bottom of Add features - Microsoft Windows
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by pyrate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicSurfer View Post
    This makes sense.... Thanks.

    I just discovered about the Media center key myself, so that question is withdrawn!

    SO i guess this question has been Solved.
    Thanks to all.

    CS


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I don't think it would make sense to have a time limit if you made the .iso

    How do MS know if you may need to reinstall in a couple of years?

    They say you can install it "later". No time limit given.



    What media add on download? With Pro edition, you only need to download the key for that.

    Is there some extra media thing I have missed?


    There are some updates - quite large already.
    "Your product key must be activated no later than January 31, 2013" - media center

    From the bottom of
    Add features - Microsoft Windows
    Ooops... Missed that.

    So I guess I have to upgrade before Jan 31 if I don't want to pay extra for the Media Pack.
    Thanks, CS
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Upgrade Promo - Can I download now and install later ( before SP1) ???
Related Threads
Last Christmas I bought a laptop with Windows 7. Microsoft gave me a Promo code by email for a reduced price upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.0. I have downloaded the upgrade assistant to try and use the promo code, but it keeps telling me that the versions isn't available in my region. Then I tried the...
I have successfully upgraded 2 Windows 8 pro media centre PC's, a desk top and a netbook, but the 3rd, gets stuck in a continuous loop. After initiating the upgrade from the store, the download bar slowly works its way up to 50%, the installation process starts, and as soon as it gets to...
More... This promo is for upgrading newly purchased Windows 7 PCs to Windows 8 Pro.
I have bought a notebook in China, with Windows 8 PRC pre-installed. Everything in Windows is written in Chinese, which I can't read. The English language pack for Win 8 does not work effectively with Windows 8 PRC. And if you try to upgrade, using the Win 8 Upgrade Assistant, you automatically...
Windows 8 is suppose to be released at 12.01am but when I click Buy Windows 8 now it just brings me to a splash screen. Is this the link to buy and download the upgrade from or is there another link? Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows Thanks!
Solved Create DVD from upgrade download in Installation & Setup
How do I create a DVD using the download from the Windows 8 upgrade? I just purchased the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (24.99 in the UK), downloaded and installed Windows 8 over an old XP system I had put on a spare disk drive on my system. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant did this for me. My...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook