Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


where to find win 8 iso file after upgrade?

  1. #1


    Posts : 10
    windows 8 pro

    where to find win 8 iso file after upgrade?


    Hi, I chose to upgrade directly from win 7 using that upgrade assistance, now I want to make a backup DVD for that just in case I need to do a fresh installation later, the problem is where do i find the installation files?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    From what I read, there is a pile of files on the desktop with an .exe that you can re-run and choose to make an ISO file during that process.

    I'd be more specific if I could, but I have not tried to install the upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 10
    windows 8 pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    From what I read, there is a pile of files on the desktop with an .exe that you can re-run and choose to make an ISO file during that process.

    I'd be more specific if I could, but I have not tried to install the upgrade.
    thanks, but i yet to find such files maybe because I've run a clean-up, anywhere to retrieve these installation files?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    you can probably re download them from the email Microsoft send to you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Try redownloading from the email link.

    If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by wgan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    From what I read, there is a pile of files on the desktop with an .exe that you can re-run and choose to make an ISO file during that process.

    I'd be more specific if I could, but I have not tried to install the upgrade.
    thanks, but i yet to find such files maybe because I've run a clean-up, anywhere to retrieve these installation files?
    You can get them by going to C drive, expand the ribbon in explorer, click View, tick Hidden and you can view the ESD folder, you could make yourself an .iso image using those files.
    You can also try the method theog posted which is much easier.
    EDIT: Snip added.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 10
    windows 8 pro


    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wgan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    From what I read, there is a pile of files on the desktop with an .exe that you can re-run and choose to make an ISO file during that process.

    I'd be more specific if I could, but I have not tried to install the upgrade.
    thanks, but i yet to find such files maybe because I've run a clean-up, anywhere to retrieve these installation files?
    You can get them by going to C drive, expand the ribbon in explorer, click View, tick Hidden and you can view the ESD folder, you could make yourself an .iso image using those files.
    You can also try the method theog posted which is much easier.
    EDIT: Snip added.
    Click image for larger version

    thanks, I managed to get an iso by running windows installer again, strangely I didn't find any folder named ESD under c:\, but anyway thats how i got it done.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    One could burn Install.esd file which is inside the Sources folder for future use, actual path is as follows,
    tick Hidden files under View tab in Explorer, then navigate to Install.esd,
    C:/, ESD, Windows, Sources, Install.esd.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

where to find win 8 iso file after upgrade?
Related Threads
Solved Cant find quarantined file in System Security
Hi, i use Windows Defender as my AV (Windows 8.1 OS) and have a file quarantined. i wish to upload it to virus total before making the decision as to delete / allow it - the problem is i cant locate it to upload. under the history tab of defender, the path is given for where it was (it is not...
I purchased and installed Windows 8 some time ago and then upgraded to 8.1 via the Windows Store. When I got the upgrade I saved the ISO file in case I needed to reinstall. At no time did I receive a different product key for the store version of 8.1 and now that I wish to reinstall I find that...
Hey guys I want to set my Asphalt 8: airborne to use NVIDIA GPU on game-play. I have not set NVIDIA to high performance globally instead its on auto-select. I don't want to change that, instead I wanted to change the program setting of Asphalt 8 only to use NVIDIA on high performance setting. For...
Need help to find issues in a CBS.log file in Performance & Maintenance
I'm having a significant system file corruption issue. Every few days, when I run sfc /scannow, it finds corruption and makes a CBS.log file that a person can refer to. If sfc can't fix it, then I run the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command and eventually it gets fixed. In the...
So today my PC has crashed and had to reinstall windows again. I only got Windows 8 CD and not 8.1 so it installed 8 Windows 8. I did all the updates (checked around 10 more times after rebooting etc.) and 8.1 update doesn't show up to me in the store. Can anyone help me out with this? And...
I tried using a batch file to run ccleaner at log on. But it always takes forever when it cleans Firefox. So I made a batch file to just delete the Firefox temp folder. And I unchecked Firefox in ccleaner so ccleaner ignores Firefox. Here's the batch file. RMDIR 5bngz3ew.default /S /Q I put...
I run old app on Win8 and it prompt me to Download the .Net Framework 3.5. I press Download and intel this feature and work fine. I have another PC and i want copy the .Net Framework 3.5 setup file to install the .Net Framework 3.5. on it.(another PC and more PCs) But Where can i find the .Net...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook