Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to install dual OS (win 7 and win 8) using the win 8 upgrade offer

  1. #61


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBrix View Post
    I can see why people defend one point or the other.
    The EULA states that, if I choose to buy this upgrade, MS does not want me to use Windows 7. That's the 'law' and I must follow it, that's fine, I guess.

    But why would MS do this? What's the point in forcing your users to update to a software they're unsure it'll work properly with their routine usage? Let's think about it. General population don't really care about what OS they use. They just want something that works. Windows 7 is a great OS, it wasn't like Vista, which everybody hated. For those reasons, it's not like there's a high demand for Windows 8. Then, there's the whole metro interface/no start button rage that threw off so many people. So, the only people who actually want Windows 8 are those who like have state-of-the-art software. But many of those just don't want to scrap their perfectly working Windows 7 installations. They want to do it gradually. But because of this upgrade, which force users to take the leap without the ability to retain Windows 7, Windows 8 may have less sales.

    I understand it is just an upgrade. I understand that there's System Builder licenses. But it just doesn't make sense forbidding the users to use both at the same time. It is not a car or a phone you trade in for a new one.
    I'm afraid that you do not understand.


    Why Microsoft does this with the upgrade copy of Windows 8 is for the reduced price you pay to get the upgrade copy of Windows 8. The whole point of an upgrade copy is to replace your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) with the upgrade copy by either upgrading the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) or uninstall/format the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and clean install the upgrade copy of Windows 8. Your choice, but you can't have both installed at the same time.


    Microsoft doesn't forbid you from having both your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and Windows 8 installed at the same time. If you want this, then you just have to buy the system builder copy of Windows 8 instead of an upgrade copy of Windows 8.


    It's your choice of what you want to do. You just have to buy the correct copy of Windows 8 for what you want to do to not violate the EULA.
    Last edited by Brink; 30 Oct 2012 at 19:40.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It's marketing, Bill.


    You know how you paid $100 for your airline ticket and the guy right next to you paid $400 for his?

    Same idea.

    Maybe you had to buy it a week before to get that price - the other guy could buy it any time.

    That is because if you could buy the $100 seat at any time - they would never sell a $400 ticket.

    On the other hand, if all seats were $400 - many people couldn't afford it , or would club together and go by car.

    The flight would be mostly empty. Airline would be in trouble.



    Therefore, they introduce some random restriction so they can price differentially.




    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    skallal it's against the EULA to keep your Windows 7

    macharre , updating from the consumer preview is against the EULA
    Can someone explain to me in English why I cant have say an OEM Windows 7 on one partitition and an Upgrade Windows 8 on another partition. In other words how is this hurting Microsoft if I'm just gradually moving from one OS to another without destroying my previous OS. I know about the EULA, but how is it hurting Microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBrix View Post
    I can see why people defend one point or the other.
    The EULA states that, if I choose to buy this upgrade, MS does not want me to use Windows 7. That's the 'law' and I must follow it, that's fine, I guess.

    But why would MS do this? What's the point in forcing your users to update to a software they're unsure it'll work properly with their routine usage? Let's think about it. General population don't really care about what OS they use. They just want something that works. Windows 7 is a great OS, it wasn't like Vista, which everybody hated. For those reasons, it's not like there's a high demand for Windows 8. Then, there's the whole metro interface/no start button rage that threw off so many people. So, the only people who actually want Windows 8 are those who like have state-of-the-art software. But many of those just don't want to scrap their perfectly working Windows 7 installations. They want to do it gradually. But because of this upgrade, which force users to take the leap without the ability to retain Windows 7, Windows 8 may have less sales.

    I understand it is just an upgrade. I understand that there's System Builder licenses. But it just doesn't make sense forbidding the users to use both at the same time. It is not a car or a phone you trade in for a new one.
    I'm afraid that you do not understand.


    Why Microsoft does this with the upgrade copy of Windows 8 is for the reduced price you pay to get the upgrade copy of Windows 8. The whole point of an upgrade copy is to replace your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) with the upgrade copy by either upgrading the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) or uninstall/format the installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and clean install the upgrade copy of Windows 8. Your choice, but you can't have both installed at the same time.


    Microsoft doesn't forbid you from having both your currently installed OS (ex: Windows 7) and Windows 8 installed at the same time. If you want this, then you just have to buy the system builder copy of Windows 8 instead of an upgrade copy of Windows 8.


    It's your choice of what you want to do. You just have to buy the correct copy of Windows 8 for what you want to do to not violate the EULA.
    So if my system completely dies tomorrow after let's say a short circuit and I have bought the OEM and the System Builder which one can I use to build another computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    It's marketing, Bill.


    You know how you paid $100 for your airline ticket and the guy right next to you paid $400 for his?

    Same idea.

    Maybe you had to buy it a week before to get that price - the other guy could buy it any time.

    That is because if you could buy the $100 seat at any time - they would never sell a $400 ticket.

    On the other hand, if all seats were $400 - many people couldn't afford it , or would club together and go by car.

    The flight would be mostly empty. Airline would be in trouble.



    Therefore, they introduce some random restriction so they can price differentially.




    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    skallal it's against the EULA to keep your Windows 7

    macharre , updating from the consumer preview is against the EULA
    Can someone explain to me in English why I cant have say an OEM Windows 7 on one partitition and an Upgrade Windows 8 on another partition. In other words how is this hurting Microsoft if I'm just gradually moving from one OS to another without destroying my previous OS. I know about the EULA, but how is it hurting Microsoft.
    You know SIW2 your explanation makes complete sense to me
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Why build a new computer ? It's not transferable, if your motherboard die, you replace it with the same model , what they don't want you do is to transfer it to another pc, you can repair the one you have but not upgrade it, as example you have a good working socket 1056 and you want too upgrade to a motherboard with a socket 2011, this is not a replacement this is an upgrade. The Motherboard rumor come from the fact that at first MS want to tie the Motherboard to the OEM license, but they change their mind as they will have again problem with the US gouv. so replacing a defective motherboard is ok.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    So what happens if there's nothing close to my motherboard available and I have to buy the latest one with the latest chipset, and all my peripherals died as well, because of the short circuit., and the only thing that is any good is the case, even the PSU is burnt out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    So if my system completely dies tomorrow after let's say a short circuit and I have bought the OEM and the System Builder which one can I use to build another computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    So what happens if there's nothing close to my motherboard available and I have to buy the latest one with the latest chipset, and all my peripherals died as well, because of the short circuit., and the only thing that is any good is the case, even the PSU is burnt out.
    An OEM copy is permanently tied to the motherboard of the computer it was first activated on, and cannot be used to activate on a different computer or motherboard. It can only be activated on that exact same motherboard it was first activated on. That's why it's so much cheaper. Sometimes you may be able to what Simon (SIW2) posted below though.

    A retail system builder or upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer you like as long as it's only activated on one computer and uninstalled on any other at that time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere will tell you MS are good about that sort of thing.

    Usually ringing MS and letting them know your mobo/whatever died does the job.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere will tell you MS are good about that sort of thing.

    Usually ringing MS and letting them know your mobo/whatever died does the job.
    Yes I sort of knew that, I have heard of people ringing MS to get that sorted. Okay thanks guys, that sort of clears everything up for me, maybe other people will read this and get something out of it. I think the new Windows 8 upgrade confused quite a few people judging by the comments in this section, it even had me confused a bit.

    Thanks again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post

    A retail system builder or upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer you like as long as it's only activated on one computer and uninstalled on any other at that time.
    When you say that an upgrade copy will let you activate it on any computer, do you mean that I can download my win 8 upgrade from my current computer and I just make a bootable USB and install on say my mothers computer. Will it work?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
How to install dual OS (win 7 and win 8) using the win 8 upgrade offer
Related Threads
I did the Upgrade Assistant from Win7 pro to 8 pro and this is what I was told: I really want Secure boot, however. I have a UEFI BIOS. I am willing to upgrade or clean install, as I will never use the previous windows 7 version again. Is there a way to get Secure boot with my computer ? ...
Windows 8 Upgrade Offer in Windows Updates & Activation
Hello all. First time post. Thanks for having me. In the last few months I have received a considerable amount of email messages from Microsoft reminding me to take advantage of their $14.99 Win 7 to Win 8 Pro offer. I tried using the provided promo code(s) on one or more occasions but am having a...
Hi, I had planned on upgrading one laptop to Win8 using the time-limited $40 offer, but now I'm instead selling that laptop. Are there any time limits to when the $40 upgrade has to be installed? For if not, I would buy it now anyway and install it a bit later on another machine. Thanks.
If I don't have a qualifying PC? :cry:
Upgrade offer validity in General Support
Hi, I am eligible for the win8upgrade offer for my country. However I have a doubt. What if I would simply want to purchase the upgrade and not install it? Can I continue with windows7 even after purchasing the win8 upgrade and latter (say 2 years latter) decide to install the upgrade. Will the...
Windows 8 upgrade offer in Windows 8 News
Microsoft are not hanging around, with their offer on win 8 out already. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../upgrade-offer
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook