Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


So, does the upgrade "really" need to have anything previously on HD?

  1. #31


    Quote Originally Posted by Moodkiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan2320 View Post
    So it looks like you can't install this on a blank drive.
    so even though you used VMware to try and install windows 8 on a blank disk, does this mean I can install windows on a new ssd that I bought that currently has nothing on it....
    The test he did with VMWare should be the same as if you had a blank hard drive in your computer. It sounds like it DOES not work as it won't activate with that key.


    Quote Originally Posted by tangorade View Post
    Glad to report that it works! I used a Win7 retail disc and did a clean reformat. I did not enter a serial number and left the OS on 30-day trial mode.
    This does NOT mean it installs to a blank hard drive. This means it installs to a previously installed system, whether activated or not. That is NOT, what I want. I would have liked to have been able to load Windows 8 without loading Windows 7.


    Quote Originally Posted by tangorade View Post
    This is great news especially since I've never owned a Windows OS (had a volume-licensed WinXP then a pirated Win7 in my teens). Feels good to finally have a legit OS for my homebrew.
    Well, technically you do NOT have a legit OS. You weren't entitled to the upgrade version, you should have paid the price for the full version. You took advantage of a loophole.


    Quote Originally Posted by tangorade View Post
    To Microsoft, thanks for letting the few of us that have been too broke to afford your excellent OS finally get on the bandwagon. Now that I have Win8 Pro, I won't mind shelling out another $40 for Win9 in a few years. Microsoft now has a new loyal customer..
    You say it was a homebrew computer. How much did you spend on the hardware? I always question people who say they were too broke to pay the $100 for Windows 7 OEM..but then you find out they bought a $300 video card, and a $200 SSD, etc. I'm glad you have a paid for OS now...even if it was a violation of the EULA since you didn't own a previous version of Windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    I'm yet to catch up on this thread, my case is similar.
    I'll be installing it on a new hdd, mobo and processor too.
    I want to know if that can be done with the retail upgrade dvd. Or do i need the systen builder?
    My original post is in this thread here x32 or x64, which did I get?
    In your case, you NEED the System Builder license. The upgrade is only intended to upgrade...not build new.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 38
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    I'm yet to catch up on this thread, my case is similar.
    I'll be installing it on a new hdd, mobo and processor too.
    I want to know if that can be done with the retail upgrade dvd. Or do i need the systen builder?
    My original post is in this thread here x32 or x64, which did I get?
    In your case, you NEED the System Builder license. The upgrade is only intended to upgrade...not build new.
    The oem versions are unfair, make any hardware change and activation is void. I'm using it on only one pc for personal use.
    Btw i have win7 oem and i want to make that change to retail, but i don't think there will be a full retail for win8.

    One way i can try is, after changing the hardware, i install my x86 win7 oem and try to get it activated by calling MS(i don't remember if there is a trial period for ome, if there is then i don't need to call MS).
    If that is a success, then i can get the win8 dvd and install the x64 win8 pro.
    This is just the theory i'm not sure if it'll work.
    To be noted, i'll be doing a cross architecture upgrade, i need the x64 win8 on my x64 capable system running x86 win7 oem. As told previously hardware change is also in the equation.

    And btw i think the virtual machine test failed because win8 can't be installed on 2 systems simultaneously...but the error did say something about it's only an upgrade version. notsure.
    Last edited by roofrider; 28 Oct 2012 at 02:20.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    OK, so I think I have worked this out now... I should, in theory, be able to download and "upgrade" my current windows 7 machine to windows 8. But then instead of installing windows 8 onto the hdd with 7 on it, I will burn it to a disk and then install it to my ssd later.

    I get the impression that Windows 8 makes sure you have a valid windows installation before it downloads and then after that it doesnt matter...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by Moodkiller View Post
    OK, so I think I have worked this out now... I should, in theory, be able to download and "upgrade" my current windows 7 machine to windows 8. But then instead of installing windows 8 onto the hdd with 7 on it, I will burn it to a disk and then install it to my ssd later.

    I get the impression that Windows 8 makes sure you have a valid windows installation before it downloads and then after that it doesnt matter...
    It also needs to see the previous version on your system during the upgrade.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 38
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon


    Quote Originally Posted by Moodkiller View Post
    OK, so I think I have worked this out now... I should, in theory, be able to download and "upgrade" my current windows 7 machine to windows 8. But then instead of installing windows 8 onto the hdd with 7 on it, I will burn it to a disk and then install it to my ssd later.

    I get the impression that Windows 8 makes sure you have a valid windows installation before it downloads and then after that it doesnt matter...
    Not so easy.
    In theory u will be able to install it on a brand new ssd but u'll not be able to activate it.
    There are workarounds for it but it's not a guarantee.
    Someone said a double installation of win8 will do the trick like it was with win7.
    U could try the phone activation method.
    Something to do with editing the registry fixes it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post

    It also needs to see the previous version on your system during the upgrade.

    Jim
    So if I perhaps install windows 7 onto the ssd first, activate it, and then install the update version of windows 8, that should be fine??

    and then roofrider
    Someone said a double installation of win8 will do the trick like it was with win7.
    could you please explain this method??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 38
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon


    Quote Originally Posted by Moodkiller View Post

    and then roofrider
    Someone said a double installation of win8 will do the trick like it was with win7.
    could you please explain this method??
    Install win8 normally, it wont' activate.
    Then do a fresh install win8 again over the existing win8 partition and u'll be fine.

    Another option,
    Install the win8 Release Preview on the new hdd and then install win8 pro

    Have the reg hack as the last option but it's confirmed to work for almost everyone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    I'm yet to catch up on this thread, my case is similar.
    I'll be installing it on a new hdd, mobo and processor too.
    I want to know if that can be done with the retail upgrade dvd. Or do i need the systen builder?
    My original post is in this thread here x32 or x64, which did I get?
    In your case, you NEED the System Builder license. The upgrade is only intended to upgrade...not build new.
    The oem versions are unfair, make any hardware change and activation is void.
    Untrue. With OEM versions in the past, you are NOT allowed to move the OEM license to another computer. And with any version of Windows, OEM or retail, if you make a substantial # of changes to your system you may have to reactivate it and this might cause you to have to make a phone call rather than activating over the Internet. Now, with the OEM version in the past, if you upgraded your mobo, processor, memory....well that you were really building a new computer and activation may remain in a failed state.

    With the new System Builder licence, it's suitable for the home hobbyist to use now (in the past, MS said it was not). You are going to use the Personal Use License (PUL). Windows 8 System Builder Product--Personal Use License


    The license above grants exclusively the right to transfer this PUL to another computer;
    Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 38
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    Untrue. With OEM versions in the past, you are NOT allowed to move the OEM license to another computer. And with any version of Windows, OEM or retail, if you make a substantial # of changes to your system you may have to reactivate it and this might cause you to have to make a phone call rather than activating over the Internet. Now, with the OEM version in the past, if you upgraded your mobo, processor, memory....well that you were really building a new computer and activation may remain in a failed state.

    With the new System Builder licence, it's suitable for the home hobbyist to use now (in the past, MS said it was not). You are going to use the Personal Use License (PUL). Windows 8 System Builder Product--Personal Use License


    The license above grants exclusively the right to transfer this PUL to another computer;
    Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.
    I understand, that post is so yesterday.
    I did say in another thread the win8 oems are hardware upgrade friendly.
    While with win7 oems technically hardware upgrades are not allowed but MS did allow it, if u say motherboard=computer i'm not going to argue but i don't agree.
    I'll say upgrading and u'll say building a new computer, whatever the case may be MS did reactivate but it was not straightforward, it was a gamble and it depended on the person at the other end of the line, but most of the time they re activated it.
    There have been cases where even with motherboard change(i'm not talking about say model replacement) the win7 oem key was activated without any trouble not even a phone call was required. And other cases where even simple reinstall with no changes resulted in phone activation be required. It depends.
    However MS recognized this and that is why a change has been brought about in the win8 system builder pul license.
    Now, will they still be as lenient as they have been with win7 oem even today after the win8 release? I don't know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodkiller View Post

    and then roofrider
    Someone said a double installation of win8 will do the trick like it was with win7.
    could you please explain this method??
    Install win8 normally, it wont' activate.
    Then do a fresh install win8 again over the existing win8 partition and u'll be fine.
    You can not install Windows 8 without entering the product key and if it is a upgrade key it won't install if it doesn't see a previous version on your system. This is not Windows 7 and the rules have changed.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
So, does the upgrade "really" need to have anything previously on HD?
Related Threads
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi all, Recently upgraded my Dell Latitude E6420 to Windows 8. When I attempt to use my Sony TV as a second monitor via HDMI cable, I no longer get audio. Cable is fine and worked previous to upgrade. Video comes up fine. In "Playback Devices" (with both "Show Disabled" and "Show...
Before getting my dell machine with win8 baked in, I purchased a win8 pro upgrade from MS for 14.99. Can I use that win8 pro "upgrade" disk to upgrade my core version to "pro", or will that just screw things up? thanks!
I purchased the Windows 8 Upgrade for US $39.99 and after the payment is make and when the download is going to start, I am getting the error "The specified service does not exist as an installed service". How to solve this issue?
Hi there I needed a second smallish decent laptop -- I bought one the other day -- was pre-installed with W7 but I got a free voucher for a W8 upgrade when W8 hits the streets. My point is this : the W7 pre-installed stuff is full of Vendors junk and stupid things like Mcafee 60 day trial....
It's been there for literally over a day. At first it appeared to be using the hard drive now it's just sitting there being pretty. Trying to go from CP to RP btw. Wow literally 3 minutes after I posted this it just decided O LOL I SAW YOU POST SO IM GONNA WORK NOW. and it worked...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook