Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


So, does the upgrade "really" need to have anything previously on HD?

  1. #91


    No, 1 and 2 aren't the same. You end up with the same stuff installed in the end, but the process it's different.

    Think about it, let's say you take type existing hard drives and throw them in the trash and buy a blank hdd from newegg. So, if the process to install it means you install 7, and then 8, you install twice. With 2, you install only 1 time.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    No, 1 and 2 aren't the same. You end up with the same stuff installed in the end, but the process it's different.

    Think about it, let's say you take type existing hard drives and throw them in the trash and buy a blank hdd from newegg. So, if the process to install it means you install 7, and then 8, you install twice. With 2, you install only 1 time.
    Actually, when you format a HDD there is no previous operating shown as being installed at that time. That's what I did today, had there been another version of Windows on the HDD I would have had a copy of "windows.old" on my Win 8 install. I've done this both ways. The first installation of Win 8 was to a HDD that had a Win 8 evaluation copy installed and the resulting Win 8 upgrade installation included 'windows.old." There was no need to install any older copy of Windows prior to doing the upgrade on either HDD.

    I have yet to try to install the upgrade to a new unused HDD, but I will soon. In my experience the HDD will be formatted as part of the installation during a clean install as opposed to just upgrading the operating system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Without a registry trick though, it won't activate from a completely empty hard drive...our so says those who have tried it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Without a registry trick though, it won't activate from a completely empty hard drive...our so says those who have tried it.
    Ok, I hadn't heard that.
    My question still is. what is the difference between a NEW formatted HDD and an OLD formatted HDD?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Posts : 38
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon


    Quote Originally Posted by dlcampbe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Without a registry trick though, it won't activate from a completely empty hard drive...our so says those who have tried it.
    Ok, I hadn't heard that.
    My question still is. what is the difference between a NEW formatted HDD and an OLD formatted HDD?
    The difference lies in how u formatted ur hdd.
    I guess u just deleted the C partition by booting from the media and installed win8 in that partition, correct?
    List exact options u used in the custom install setup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlcampbe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Without a registry trick though, it won't activate from a completely empty hard drive...our so says those who have tried it.
    Ok, I hadn't heard that.
    My question still is. what is the difference between a NEW formatted HDD and an OLD formatted HDD?
    The difference lies in how u formatted ur hdd.
    I guess u just deleted the C partition by booting from the media and installed win8 in that partition, correct?
    List exact options u used in the custom install setup.
    In the first install, I just followed the installation as you describe. In the second installation which failed part way through, I did a reboot to the install media (DVD) and selected "custom>advanced>format" and then let the program proceed. It finished and was activated. My next test will be to try to install the upgrade Win 8 OS to a brand new SSD. I'll let you know how that works out. The next $39 D/L will be on the same computer as the first two, a 64 bit Win 7 box. I'll then use the ISO to burn another install DVD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8


    According to the EULA,you need to have a genuine copy run on your machine first, but for technical way, you can have brand new install.for more help, conact me msn:windows7shop@outlook.com
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Posts : 38
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon


    Quote Originally Posted by dlcampbe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlcampbe View Post
    Ok, I hadn't heard that.
    My question still is. what is the difference between a NEW formatted HDD and an OLD formatted HDD?
    The difference lies in how u formatted ur hdd.
    I guess u just deleted the C partition by booting from the media and installed win8 in that partition, correct?
    List exact options u used in the custom install setup.
    In the first install, I just followed the installation as you describe. In the second installation which failed part way through, I did a reboot to the install media (DVD) and selected "custom>advanced>format" and then let the program proceed. It finished and was activated. My next test will be to try to install the upgrade Win 8 OS to a brand new SSD. I'll let you know how that works out. The next $39 D/L will be on the same computer as the first two, a 64 bit Win 7 box. I'll then use the ISO to burn another install DVD.
    Thanks for confirming, the thing is the setup needs to see an existing win os and it does exactly that before u format or delete a partition from within the setup which is fine according to MS, but they ask u not to format it prior to the installation process.
    I wonder how the usage of diskpart command to format will affect it.
    Will wait for ur ssd test.

    Edit:
    U dont need to redownload if u already have a x64 win8 dvd, u can use that. Once u get the new key cancel the download and use the existing disc to install. A new key is all that is required.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    OK, I'm back from installing a new out of the box intel series 330 120gb SSD to a Dell Latitude D630 laptop. The laptop is set to 1st boot from the DVD drive. So, I put my D/L'ed Win 8 Pro upgrade disk in the drive and let it boot up. In the meantime I purchased another Win 8 Pro upgrade and received another key that I used with this new install.

    The install process proceeded normally and completed the installation without being activated, no problem, just a small regedit change and a restart and it was now activated.

    Now, another of my old XP disks is headed for the trash.

    edit: there was NO operating system installed on the new SSD.
    Last edited by dlcampbe; 02 Nov 2012 at 21:00.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Quote Originally Posted by dlcampbe View Post
    The install process proceeded normally and completed the installation without being activated, no problem, just a small regedit change and a restart and it was now activated.
    Yes, you did the registry change which fools it into activating without being an "upgrade"

    Quote Originally Posted by dlcampbe View Post
    edit: there was NO operating system installed on the new SSD.
    Yes, because you did the registry editing trick. That is the way around NOT having an OS installed on the SSD drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
So, does the upgrade "really" need to have anything previously on HD?
Related Threads
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi all, Recently upgraded my Dell Latitude E6420 to Windows 8. When I attempt to use my Sony TV as a second monitor via HDMI cable, I no longer get audio. Cable is fine and worked previous to upgrade. Video comes up fine. In "Playback Devices" (with both "Show Disabled" and "Show...
Before getting my dell machine with win8 baked in, I purchased a win8 pro upgrade from MS for 14.99. Can I use that win8 pro "upgrade" disk to upgrade my core version to "pro", or will that just screw things up? thanks!
I purchased the Windows 8 Upgrade for US $39.99 and after the payment is make and when the download is going to start, I am getting the error "The specified service does not exist as an installed service". How to solve this issue?
Hi there I needed a second smallish decent laptop -- I bought one the other day -- was pre-installed with W7 but I got a free voucher for a W8 upgrade when W8 hits the streets. My point is this : the W7 pre-installed stuff is full of Vendors junk and stupid things like Mcafee 60 day trial....
It's been there for literally over a day. At first it appeared to be using the hard drive now it's just sitting there being pretty. Trying to go from CP to RP btw. Wow literally 3 minutes after I posted this it just decided O LOL I SAW YOU POST SO IM GONNA WORK NOW. and it worked...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook