Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

  1. #561


    Posts : 108
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408


    Quote Originally Posted by Kalenz View Post
    Hello,
    First of all, thank you for your extremely quick reply. I will try to provide a few more details about my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post

    Among all the items you seem to have installed on your system, I don’t see any mention of AMD/ Intel Switchable Graphics. Can you provide us with more information about exactly what AMD/Intel devices you have installed? Info like driver versions would be helpful.
    I am assuming I do have switchable graphics because of what I see when I go on the AMD Catalys Control Center:

    Attachment 37019

    And here are my drivers:

    Attachment 37020Attachment 37021

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    By the way, if your system actually has an AMD/Intel hardware configuration. You would only be interested in the WDDM1.3 update package which is the most current Microsoft provides for that particular hardware setup.


    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2,
    Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 8570M
    Last Modified: 12/9/2013
    Size: 65.7 MB

    Yes, I believe it is the one I downloaded. I am just puzzled about how to apply it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    You said, your device manager shows that your display hardware is current and up-to-date as it is. Can you tell me if either of your two display adapter names has been changed? For instance, my original adapter name was AMD Radeon HD 64900M, which was changed by Microsoft in my device manager to 7400M series. Therefore, the Microsoft update for the device was not based on my display adapter’s original name but rather the new name to which it was changed.

    Can you tell me the original series number for your display adapters? I have to assume that 8570M is the original series number. I’m not familiar with that series being part of the switchable graphics family.
    As far as I can tell, the display adapter names have not been changed, however I am not sure about how to check that. The names I provided are those that I can see on the device manager interface, and they seem to be correct for my laptop model.

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    You mentioned that your system was brand new. Have you contacted your system’s manufacturer about the issues you’re having with your display adapter(s)? From what I can tell, your system is running with 4th Generation Intel processor and does not have switchable graphics. This forum mainly addresses issues with AMD/Intel switchable graphics. However, I did come across some information that may help you. You’ll find a link to that info below. The following is a link to some info that you may find helpful:

    Windows Next Graphics Driver Dynamic update - 13.251.0.0 (WDDM1.3) - Guru3D.com Forums
    Yes, I tried to contact Lenovo on their forum, but did not receive any reply. There also seems to be a certain number of users having the same problem, and I have to say that when I realized that I couldn't help showing a bit of irritation (caused by the fact that I definitely didn't expect to have issues with drivers on a brand new laptop...). Looking at it now with a chillier mind, it probably wasn't the best course of action, but oh well. Anyway I am linking here the thread from their forum that I believe is most pertinent (there is actually more than one on this issue):

    Lenovo G510 switching graphics tests and issues. - Lenovo Community

    Regarding the link you provided, I had seen it previously and downloaded the .exe update they provided, but when I try to run it it gets blocked by Windows Smart Screen. I could allow it to run anyway, but I decided instead to play it safer and post questions here. If you or somebody else can confirm that it's legit and safe I can try to run it and see how it goes though.

    I had also tried to apply this procedure:

    1. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
    2. Click Start.
    3. Right-click Computer > Manage. When prompted for permission from User Account Control, click Yes.
    4. Select Device Manager from the navigation tab on the left.
    5. Double-click Display Adapters.
    6. Right-click the AMD Graphics Controller and click Update Driver Software.
    8. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    9. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    10. Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    11. Reboot computer when prompted.

    to install the drivers I got from the WDDM1.3 update package, however after step 9 instead of installing the drivers it says that my drivers are already updated and stops.

    I believe this is all, please let me know if I missed something, and thanks again for your help. I consider myself tech savvy, but drivers and hardware issues give me a headache x) .

    EDIT: I was trying to play Dragon Age Origins to make sure the issue was actually still there, and I had a BSOD with the following error:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

    Hope this helps shedding some light on the problems I am having.


    Hello Kalenz,


    File igdkmd64.sys is the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver for Microsoft Windows 8. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below: Disable Intel graphics card and check if you get the blue screen.

    • Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run prompt.
    • Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the Intel display adapter, click disable.
    • Restart the computer and check if you get the blue screen error.

    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers. If the issue still persists, try trouble shooting steps below:
    Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

    a) Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    b) Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.
    c) From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers Intel® Driver Update Utility

    Here also is a link to instructions on how to create your own thread here on Eight Forums to get more help with your specific issue: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions


    When checking for Microsoft updates, make sure you have check for optional updates enable. Any hardware update will be an optional update from the Microsoft Update Service. It may not be included with the Important Updates the updates service offers. Many users often chooses to hide these optional updates or disables the option to receive such updates all together, so make sure you have not done so.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #562


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1


    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    After doing a little more research, it seems that your issue isn’t with your drivers, but rather your switchable graphics settings. It seems you have yours set to Global Mode. According to what I’ve read, you may want to disable switchable graphics and just use the AMD graphics while playing process hungry applications. You can do this by entering your system’s BIOS setup utility and changing your system’s switchable graphics mode to fix. This will ensure that only your discrete AMD graphics card is used to display.

    [...]


    Try troubleshooting your settings.


    Try changing your switchable graphics setting in your Catalyst Control Center from Global Settings Mode to Application Settings Mode. (This allows you to choose which application uses which Graphics adapter.)
    Try disabling Dynamic mode and enabling Fixed mode in your system’s BIOS setup utility. (This ensures that only your AMD discrete graphics adapter is used and your dedicated Intel graphics adapter will not be used.)


    The current Global Setting in your AMD Catalyst Control Center automatically switches between graphics adapters, but may not be selecting the appropriate card for the applications you’re running. However, changing that setting to the Application Setting allows you (the user) to choose for each application you run exactly which of your two graphics adapters will be used. Try both trouble shooting tips I provided above and get back to me with the results of each. I will continue researching an appropriate solution to your problem in the mean time.

    I tried disabling switchable graphics from the BIOS, the problem is that it disables the AMD card instead of the Intel GPU. This was also reported in the thread I linked from Lenovo, so I was expecting it. Also, for what concerns Global Settings vs Application Settings, I think that at least for my configuration that window doesn't offer a choice between two configuration modes, it seems to me that it is a different way to set switchable graphics options. I already set up all demanding applications to use "high performance" options, and from my Unigine Benchmark tests I can see that the switching does happen sometimes. It's just that the AMD card doesn't work properly when it kicks in (that's my hypothesis at least).


    To try and explain myself better, this is a screenshot of a test that I ran with both gpus enabled, on basic settings:


    Click image for larger version


    You can see that it says "GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 8570M 13.200.0.0/Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 10.18.10.3304 (2080MB) x1". This makes me think that the switch did happen during the test.


    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    P.S., I'm amazed there are PC manufacturers out there who are actually continuing to build systems with the AMD/Intel switchable graphics setup. The have to know serious performance and driver related issues exist with this hardware configuration by now. NVidia/Intel is a much better and reliable setup.

    I am also totally baffled that I have to deal with issues of this kind with a brand new laptop, which is practically out of the box (I bought it on Jan 29). I can understand issues with drivers when updating to a new OS or a new version of a previous OS, but they are selling this laptop with the exact configuration I am using. One would think that it should work without the end user doing anything. I guess I am assuming too much. Forgive my ranting .

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post

    File igdkmd64.sys is the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver for Microsoft Windows 8. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below: Disable Intel graphics card and check if you get the blue screen.


    • Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run prompt.
    • Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the Intel display adapter, click disable.
    • Restart the computer and check if you get the blue screen error.

    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers. If the issue still persists, try trouble shooting steps below:
    Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.


    a) Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    b) Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.
    c) From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.


    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers Intel® Driver Update Utility


    Here also is a link to instructions on how to create your own thread here on Eight Forums to get more help with your specific issue: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions


    When checking for Microsoft updates, make sure you have check for optional updates enable. Any hardware update will be an optional update from the Microsoft Update Service. It may not be included with the Important Updates the updates service offers. Many users often chooses to hide these optional updates or disables the option to receive such updates all together, so make sure you have not done so.

    The first thing I did the first time I had this error was googling for it, which lead me here:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) - Microsoft Community

    Where the solution proposed seems to be similar to what you were suggesting. Back them I read through it quickly and I assumed that updating meant trying to update through devmgmt.msc, which was saying my drivers were already updated: I am seeing now that if I try to update through the Intel Utility it actually detects a new driver, so I am hoping this will make things better. I unfortunately already have all updates available according to Windows Update, even including optional updates (I made sure the settings were right).


    A note regarding disabling the Intel GPU from devmgmt.msc: when I do that and reboot I get a warning on the device manager for the AMD saying that it's not working correctly, and everything graphics related seems to run very slowly (even worse than when I have both activated).


    I will keep you posted and report back here once I install and test the new Intel Driver. Also, if you don't mind I was thinking about posting a link to this thread on Lenovo's forum. I am sure other users with my same problem would find what we are writing here helpful.

    EDIT: Well, that was quick. I received an error message while trying to install the new intel driver, saying that the driver is not supported for my laptop, and that I should contact my manifacturer. Back to square zero I guess :P . But I am really starting to think that Lenovo is the one that is supposed to fix this.
    Last edited by Kalenz; 09 Feb 2014 at 15:15. Reason: Updates
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #563


    Posts : 108
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408

    Re: Kalenz


    Quote Originally Posted by Kalenz View Post
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    After doing a little more research, it seems that your issue isn’t with your drivers, but rather your switchable graphics settings. It seems you have yours set to Global Mode. According to what I’ve read, you may want to disable switchable graphics and just use the AMD graphics while playing process hungry applications. You can do this by entering your system’s BIOS setup utility and changing your system’s switchable graphics mode to fix. This will ensure that only your discrete AMD graphics card is used to display.

    [...]


    Try troubleshooting your settings.


    Try changing your switchable graphics setting in your Catalyst Control Center from Global Settings Mode to Application Settings Mode. (This allows you to choose which application uses which Graphics adapter.)
    Try disabling Dynamic mode and enabling Fixed mode in your system’s BIOS setup utility. (This ensures that only your AMD discrete graphics adapter is used and your dedicated Intel graphics adapter will not be used.)


    The current Global Setting in your AMD Catalyst Control Center automatically switches between graphics adapters, but may not be selecting the appropriate card for the applications you’re running. However, changing that setting to the Application Setting allows you (the user) to choose for each application you run exactly which of your two graphics adapters will be used. Try both trouble shooting tips I provided above and get back to me with the results of each. I will continue researching an appropriate solution to your problem in the mean time.

    I tried disabling switchable graphics from the BIOS, the problem is that it disables the AMD card instead of the Intel GPU. This was also reported in the thread I linked from Lenovo, so I was expecting it. Also, for what concerns Global Settings vs Application Settings, I think that at least for my configuration that window doesn't offer a choice between two configuration modes, it seems to me that it is a different way to set switchable graphics options. I already set up all demanding applications to use "high performance" options, and from my Unigine Benchmark tests I can see that the switching does happen sometimes. It's just that the AMD card doesn't work properly when it kicks in (that's my hypothesis at least).


    To try and explain myself better, this is a screenshot of a test that I ran with both gpus enabled, on basic settings:


    Click image for larger version


    You can see that it says "GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 8570M 13.200.0.0/Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 10.18.10.3304 (2080MB) x1". This makes me think that the switch did happen during the test.


    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    P.S., I'm amazed there are PC manufacturers out there who are actually continuing to build systems with the AMD/Intel switchable graphics setup. The have to know serious performance and driver related issues exist with this hardware configuration by now. NVidia/Intel is a much better and reliable setup.

    I am also totally baffled that I have to deal with issues of this kind with a brand new laptop, which is practically out of the box (I bought it on Jan 29). I can understand issues with drivers when updating to a new OS or a new version of a previous OS, but they are selling this laptop with the exact configuration I am using. One would think that it should work without the end user doing anything. I guess I am assuming too much. Forgive my ranting .

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post

    File igdkmd64.sys is the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver for Microsoft Windows 8. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below: Disable Intel graphics card and check if you get the blue screen.


    • Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run prompt.
    • Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the Intel display adapter, click disable.
    • Restart the computer and check if you get the blue screen error.

    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers. If the issue still persists, try trouble shooting steps below:
    Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.


    a) Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    b) Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.
    c) From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.


    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers Intel® Driver Update Utility


    Here also is a link to instructions on how to create your own thread here on Eight Forums to get more help with your specific issue: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions


    When checking for Microsoft updates, make sure you have check for optional updates enable. Any hardware update will be an optional update from the Microsoft Update Service. It may not be included with the Important Updates the updates service offers. Many users often chooses to hide these optional updates or disables the option to receive such updates all together, so make sure you have not done so.

    The first thing I did the first time I had this error was googling for it, which lead me here:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) - Microsoft Community

    Where the solution proposed seems to be similar to what you were suggesting. Back them I read through it quickly and I assumed that updating meant trying to update through devmgmt.msc, which was saying my drivers were already updated: I am seeing now that if I try to update through the Intel Utility it actually detects a new driver, so I am hoping this will make things better. I unfortunately already have all updates available according to Windows Update, even including optional updates (I made sure the settings were right).


    A note regarding disabling the Intel GPU from devmgmt.msc: when I do that and reboot I get a warning on the device manager for the AMD saying that it's not working correctly, and everything graphics related seems to run very slowly (even worse than when I have both activated).


    I will keep you posted and report back here once I install and test the new Intel Driver. Also, if you don't mind I was thinking about posting a link to this thread on Lenovo's forum. I am sure other users with my same problem would find what we are writing here helpful.

    EDIT: Well, that was quick. I received an error message while trying to install the new intel driver, saying that the driver is not supported for my laptop, and that I should contact my manifacturer. Back to square zero I guess :P . But I am really starting to think that Lenovo is the one that is supposed to fix this.


    Hello Kalenz,




    (Very Important Question: Does your system use UEFI instead of BIOS?) if so, you'll need to follow certain procedures to make changes to it.

    Okay, there is another way to enable just your AMD graphics adapter. You can do that through your AMD Catalyst Control Center’s Graphics Properties menu. Simply select the “Power” tab/ “Switchable Graphics Global Settings”/ set both available options to “Maximize Performance”.

    This should cause only your AMD display adapter only to be used for everything.

    I want to know that these are only trouble shooting steps, to help us deduce where the actual problem lies. You mentioned that you were getting a BSOD while running certain programs. These particular steps are to help isolate which of the two graphics adapter drivers are causing that particular issue. I mentioned earlier that based on the information you provided, the problem seems to lie with your Intel driver. Naturally, I want to take the Intel driver completely out of the picture to see if the BSOD issue yet persists.

    If your Intel drivers turn out to be the culprit, you only need to upgrade your Intel driver to fix the problem. However, simply installing an update over corrupted drivers may not be enough. It may be necessary for you to completely uninstall both your Intel and AMD drivers to do a clean install of both to correct this issue. Once all previous drivers are removed, you can either manually re-install them or allow windows update service to do so for you.

    If you choose to do so, you’ll need to download a copy of Driver Fusion by Treexy or some similar software to completely remove any and/or all previous instances of your AMD/Intel graphics drivers. All of this is to keep you from having to re-image your system to fix the problem.

    Recap:

    1. Re-enable switchable graphics in BIOS.
    2. Re-configure switchable graphics to Maximize Performance under Global Settings option in CCC properties.
    3. Check to see if you can recreate the driver failure using only your AMD graphics adapter.



    Lastly, I suggest you use the Intel update utility to update any Intel drivers you have. Using the Device Manager retrieves the latest updates available in the Microsoft Update Catalog. They’re not always the latest offered by the hardware manufacturers.
    Here’s the thing…. You system probably has an energy stay rating, which is lost while using only your AMD graphics. This can cause excessive heat and fan noise. The two graphics adapters were intended to be use in tandem to conserve energy yet provide adequate power to render a full range of graphically demanding applications.



    P.S., I’m not sure why you would even bother with trying to fix this issue on your own, while you should have an active warranty from the manufacture or merchant who sold you the computer. I would advise you not to do anything that would void that warranty early (Only Install Lenovo Approved Device Drivers) . It took most of us on Eight Forums, literal, months to solve this problem with no help whatsoever from the pc manufacturers.
    Last edited by MKeezy; 10 Feb 2014 at 00:33. Reason: Add Content
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #564


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalenz View Post
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    After doing a little more research, it seems that your issue isn’t with your drivers, but rather your switchable graphics settings. It seems you have yours set to Global Mode. According to what I’ve read, you may want to disable switchable graphics and just use the AMD graphics while playing process hungry applications. You can do this by entering your system’s BIOS setup utility and changing your system’s switchable graphics mode to fix. This will ensure that only your discrete AMD graphics card is used to display.

    [...]


    Try troubleshooting your settings.


    Try changing your switchable graphics setting in your Catalyst Control Center from Global Settings Mode to Application Settings Mode. (This allows you to choose which application uses which Graphics adapter.)
    Try disabling Dynamic mode and enabling Fixed mode in your system’s BIOS setup utility. (This ensures that only your AMD discrete graphics adapter is used and your dedicated Intel graphics adapter will not be used.)


    The current Global Setting in your AMD Catalyst Control Center automatically switches between graphics adapters, but may not be selecting the appropriate card for the applications you’re running. However, changing that setting to the Application Setting allows you (the user) to choose for each application you run exactly which of your two graphics adapters will be used. Try both trouble shooting tips I provided above and get back to me with the results of each. I will continue researching an appropriate solution to your problem in the mean time.

    I tried disabling switchable graphics from the BIOS, the problem is that it disables the AMD card instead of the Intel GPU. This was also reported in the thread I linked from Lenovo, so I was expecting it. Also, for what concerns Global Settings vs Application Settings, I think that at least for my configuration that window doesn't offer a choice between two configuration modes, it seems to me that it is a different way to set switchable graphics options. I already set up all demanding applications to use "high performance" options, and from my Unigine Benchmark tests I can see that the switching does happen sometimes. It's just that the AMD card doesn't work properly when it kicks in (that's my hypothesis at least).


    To try and explain myself better, this is a screenshot of a test that I ran with both gpus enabled, on basic settings:


    Click image for larger version


    You can see that it says "GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 8570M 13.200.0.0/Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 10.18.10.3304 (2080MB) x1". This makes me think that the switch did happen during the test.





    I am also totally baffled that I have to deal with issues of this kind with a brand new laptop, which is practically out of the box (I bought it on Jan 29). I can understand issues with drivers when updating to a new OS or a new version of a previous OS, but they are selling this laptop with the exact configuration I am using. One would think that it should work without the end user doing anything. I guess I am assuming too much. Forgive my ranting .

    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post

    File igdkmd64.sys is the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver for Microsoft Windows 8. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below: Disable Intel graphics card and check if you get the blue screen.


    • Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run prompt.
    • Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the Intel display adapter, click disable.
    • Restart the computer and check if you get the blue screen error.

    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers. If the issue still persists, try trouble shooting steps below:
    Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.


    a) Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    b) Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.
    c) From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.


    If you do not get the blue screen error, update the Intel adapter drivers Intel® Driver Update Utility


    Here also is a link to instructions on how to create your own thread here on Eight Forums to get more help with your specific issue: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions


    When checking for Microsoft updates, make sure you have check for optional updates enable. Any hardware update will be an optional update from the Microsoft Update Service. It may not be included with the Important Updates the updates service offers. Many users often chooses to hide these optional updates or disables the option to receive such updates all together, so make sure you have not done so.

    The first thing I did the first time I had this error was googling for it, which lead me here:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) - Microsoft Community

    Where the solution proposed seems to be similar to what you were suggesting. Back them I read through it quickly and I assumed that updating meant trying to update through devmgmt.msc, which was saying my drivers were already updated: I am seeing now that if I try to update through the Intel Utility it actually detects a new driver, so I am hoping this will make things better. I unfortunately already have all updates available according to Windows Update, even including optional updates (I made sure the settings were right).


    A note regarding disabling the Intel GPU from devmgmt.msc: when I do that and reboot I get a warning on the device manager for the AMD saying that it's not working correctly, and everything graphics related seems to run very slowly (even worse than when I have both activated).


    I will keep you posted and report back here once I install and test the new Intel Driver. Also, if you don't mind I was thinking about posting a link to this thread on Lenovo's forum. I am sure other users with my same problem would find what we are writing here helpful.

    EDIT: Well, that was quick. I received an error message while trying to install the new intel driver, saying that the driver is not supported for my laptop, and that I should contact my manifacturer. Back to square zero I guess :P . But I am really starting to think that Lenovo is the one that is supposed to fix this.


    Hello Kalenz,




    (Very Important Question: Does your system use UEFI instead of BIOS?) if so, you'll need to follow certain procedures to make changes to it.

    Okay, there is another way to enable just your AMD graphics adapter. You can do that through your AMD Catalyst Control Center’s Graphics Properties menu. Simply select the “Power” tab/ “Switchable Graphics Global Settings”/ set both available options to “Maximize Performance”.

    This should cause only your AMD display adapter only to be used for everything.

    I want to know that these are only trouble shooting steps, to help us deduce where the actual problem lies. You mentioned that you were getting a BSOD while running certain programs. These particular steps are to help isolate which of the two graphics adapter drivers are causing that particular issue. I mentioned earlier that based on the information you provided, the problem seems to lie with your Intel driver. Naturally, I want to take the Intel driver completely out of the picture to see if the BSOD issue yet persists.

    If your Intel drivers turn out to be the culprit, you only need to upgrade your Intel driver to fix the problem. However, simply installing an update over corrupted drivers may not be enough. It may be necessary for you to completely uninstall both your Intel and AMD drivers to do a clean install of both to correct this issue. Once all previous drivers are removed, you can either manually re-install them or allow windows update service to do so for you.

    If you choose to do so, you’ll need to download a copy of Driver Fusion by Treexy or some similar software to completely remove any and/or all previous instances of your AMD/Intel graphics drivers. All of this is to keep you from having to re-image your system to fix the problem.

    Recap:

    1. Re-enable switchable graphics in BIOS.
    2. Re-configure switchable graphics to Maximize Performance under Global Settings option in CCC properties.
    3. Check to see if you can recreate the driver failure using only your AMD graphics adapter.



    Lastly, I suggest you use the Intel update utility to update any Intel drivers you have. Using the Device Manager retrieves the latest updates available in the Microsoft Update Catalog. They’re not always the latest offered by the hardware manufacturers.
    Here’s the thing…. You system probably has an energy stay rating, which is lost while using only your AMD graphics. This can cause excessive heat and fan noise. The two graphics adapters were intended to be use in tandem to conserve energy yet provide adequate power to render a full range of graphically demanding applications.



    P.S., I’m not sure why you would even bother with trying to fix this issue on your own, while you should have an active warranty from the manufacture or merchant who sold you the computer. I would advise you not to do anything that would void that warranty early (Only Install Lenovo Approved Device Drivers) . It took most of us on Eight Forums, literal, months to solve this problem with no help whatsoever from the pc manufacturers.
    Hello,
    sorry for the late reply, as I mentioned in my previous post I am unable to update to the latest Intel driver, since I get an error message stating that that driver is not supported for my device. For what concerns my manifacturer, the only way to officially contact them in my country (Italy) is a call center phone number which is active Monday through Friday between 9 am and 6 pm. I work from 8:30 to 7 pm, so you can see how that doesn't work well for me . I tried to post on their forum but I received no reply.

    I was hoping that my problem could be fixed through the windows update utility, which is why I started posting here. I see now that it's not going to be that easy. I will just try to avoid running applications that put stress on the graphic cards and wait for a fix to come. Thank you for trying to help me, and sorry if I wasted your time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #565


    Posts : 108
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408


    Quote Originally Posted by Kalenz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalenz View Post
    Hello,




    I tried disabling switchable graphics from the BIOS, the problem is that it disables the AMD card instead of the Intel GPU. This was also reported in the thread I linked from Lenovo, so I was expecting it. Also, for what concerns Global Settings vs Application Settings, I think that at least for my configuration that window doesn't offer a choice between two configuration modes, it seems to me that it is a different way to set switchable graphics options. I already set up all demanding applications to use "high performance" options, and from my Unigine Benchmark tests I can see that the switching does happen sometimes. It's just that the AMD card doesn't work properly when it kicks in (that's my hypothesis at least).


    To try and explain myself better, this is a screenshot of a test that I ran with both gpus enabled, on basic settings:


    Click image for larger version


    You can see that it says "GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 8570M 13.200.0.0/Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 10.18.10.3304 (2080MB) x1". This makes me think that the switch did happen during the test.





    I am also totally baffled that I have to deal with issues of this kind with a brand new laptop, which is practically out of the box (I bought it on Jan 29). I can understand issues with drivers when updating to a new OS or a new version of a previous OS, but they are selling this laptop with the exact configuration I am using. One would think that it should work without the end user doing anything. I guess I am assuming too much. Forgive my ranting .




    The first thing I did the first time I had this error was googling for it, which lead me here:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) - Microsoft Community

    Where the solution proposed seems to be similar to what you were suggesting. Back them I read through it quickly and I assumed that updating meant trying to update through devmgmt.msc, which was saying my drivers were already updated: I am seeing now that if I try to update through the Intel Utility it actually detects a new driver, so I am hoping this will make things better. I unfortunately already have all updates available according to Windows Update, even including optional updates (I made sure the settings were right).


    A note regarding disabling the Intel GPU from devmgmt.msc: when I do that and reboot I get a warning on the device manager for the AMD saying that it's not working correctly, and everything graphics related seems to run very slowly (even worse than when I have both activated).


    I will keep you posted and report back here once I install and test the new Intel Driver. Also, if you don't mind I was thinking about posting a link to this thread on Lenovo's forum. I am sure other users with my same problem would find what we are writing here helpful.

    EDIT: Well, that was quick. I received an error message while trying to install the new intel driver, saying that the driver is not supported for my laptop, and that I should contact my manifacturer. Back to square zero I guess :P . But I am really starting to think that Lenovo is the one that is supposed to fix this.


    Hello Kalenz,




    (Very Important Question: Does your system use UEFI instead of BIOS?) if so, you'll need to follow certain procedures to make changes to it.

    Okay, there is another way to enable just your AMD graphics adapter. You can do that through your AMD Catalyst Control Center’s Graphics Properties menu. Simply select the “Power” tab/ “Switchable Graphics Global Settings”/ set both available options to “Maximize Performance”.

    This should cause only your AMD display adapter only to be used for everything.

    I want to know that these are only trouble shooting steps, to help us deduce where the actual problem lies. You mentioned that you were getting a BSOD while running certain programs. These particular steps are to help isolate which of the two graphics adapter drivers are causing that particular issue. I mentioned earlier that based on the information you provided, the problem seems to lie with your Intel driver. Naturally, I want to take the Intel driver completely out of the picture to see if the BSOD issue yet persists.

    If your Intel drivers turn out to be the culprit, you only need to upgrade your Intel driver to fix the problem. However, simply installing an update over corrupted drivers may not be enough. It may be necessary for you to completely uninstall both your Intel and AMD drivers to do a clean install of both to correct this issue. Once all previous drivers are removed, you can either manually re-install them or allow windows update service to do so for you.

    If you choose to do so, you’ll need to download a copy of Driver Fusion by Treexy or some similar software to completely remove any and/or all previous instances of your AMD/Intel graphics drivers. All of this is to keep you from having to re-image your system to fix the problem.

    Recap:

    1. Re-enable switchable graphics in BIOS.
    2. Re-configure switchable graphics to Maximize Performance under Global Settings option in CCC properties.
    3. Check to see if you can recreate the driver failure using only your AMD graphics adapter.



    Lastly, I suggest you use the Intel update utility to update any Intel drivers you have. Using the Device Manager retrieves the latest updates available in the Microsoft Update Catalog. They’re not always the latest offered by the hardware manufacturers.
    Here’s the thing…. You system probably has an energy stay rating, which is lost while using only your AMD graphics. This can cause excessive heat and fan noise. The two graphics adapters were intended to be use in tandem to conserve energy yet provide adequate power to render a full range of graphically demanding applications.



    P.S., I’m not sure why you would even bother with trying to fix this issue on your own, while you should have an active warranty from the manufacture or merchant who sold you the computer. I would advise you not to do anything that would void that warranty early (Only Install Lenovo Approved Device Drivers) . It took most of us on Eight Forums, literal, months to solve this problem with no help whatsoever from the pc manufacturers.
    Hello,
    sorry for the late reply, as I mentioned in my previous post I am unable to update to the latest Intel driver, since I get an error message stating that that driver is not supported for my device. For what concerns my manifacturer, the only way to officially contact them in my country (Italy) is a call center phone number which is active Monday through Friday between 9 am and 6 pm. I work from 8:30 to 7 pm, so you can see how that doesn't work well for me . I tried to post on their forum but I received no reply.

    I was hoping that my problem could be fixed through the windows update utility, which is why I started posting here. I see now that it's not going to be that easy. I will just try to avoid running applications that put stress on the graphic cards and wait for a fix to come. Thank you for trying to help me, and sorry if I wasted your time.


    Hello Kalenz,



    My next suggestion to you would be to completely uninstall both display adapter drivers and start over.

    Do a google search for the latest AMD Cleanup tool (“amd_cleanup_util_1.2.1.0”) or better yet, Driver Fusion by Treexy . These tools are used to completely remove all current and previous instances of you AMD drivers and software. I’m not aware of any standalone removal utilities provided by Intel to help remove their graphics drivers like the one provided by AMD. However, the following is a link to detailed instruction on how to remove your Intel display drivers:
    Graphics — Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel Display/HDMI Audio Driver
    Once you’ve completely removed both display driver instances, reboot and reinstall any display drivers provided for your system from the manufacturer’s website. Then, run the Windows Update Service to obtain any more recent versions of your display drivers.
    Let's Recap:


    1. Download the latest (AMD/Intel) display drivers, for your particular system, from the manufacturer’s website.
    2. Download the removal tools needed to completely remove the previous instances of your display drivers and any software that is associated with those drivers.
    3. Save the driver removal tool(s) and new driver installation packages you downloaded to your Desktop (This will ensure you have access to it from “Safe Mode”).
    4. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
    5. (Right Click Taskbar/Select Task Manager/Select File/Run New Task/Type “msconfig”/Check Box ‘Create this task with Admin Privileges”/Select “OK”)
    6. (Select “Boot” tab on the “System Configuration” window/Check Box “Safe Boot in the Boot Options section /”Select “Minimal”/ Select “Apply”/Select OK/ Select “Restart”)
    7. Once your system reboots into “Safe Mode,” locate the display driver removal tool you saved onto your desktop and run it. [This instruction is the same if using Driver Fusion to clean previous drivers.]
    8. Verify drivers have been removed from your system.
    9. Open the “msconfig” utility as you did in previous steps, uncheck the boot into Safe Mode option check box/select “Apply”/select “OK”/select “Restart.”
    10. Re-install any original display drivers you acquired that were provided by your system manufacturers’ website, then reboot again and update via Microsoft’s update service.



    I mentioned specific tools for removal of your previous drives, but feel free to use whatever removal methods with which you feel the most comfortable. Refreshing your display drivers and software should fix any issues you have right now, with at the very least, being able to update to the latest driver versions.

    You’ll need the AMD Cleanup Utility v.1.2.1.0.exe or Driver Fusion by Treexy to remove your old drivers. You’ll also need to procure copies of your system’s original display drivers to do a clean install of them again later
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #566


    Posts : 108
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408


    [QUOTE=Kalenz;342092]
    Quote Originally Posted by MKeezy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalenz View Post
    Hello,




    I tried disabling switchable graphics from the BIOS, the problem is that it disables the AMD card instead of the Intel GPU. This was also reported in the thread I linked from Lenovo, so I was expecting it. Also, for what concerns Global Settings vs Application Settings, I think that at least for my configuration that window doesn't offer a choice between two configuration modes, it seems to me that it is a different way to set switchable graphics options. I already set up all demanding applications to use "high performance" options, and from my Unigine Benchmark tests I can see that the switching does happen sometimes. It's just that the AMD card doesn't work properly when it kicks in (that's my hypothesis at least).


    To try and explain myself better, this is a screenshot of a test that I ran with both gpus enabled, on basic settings:


    Click image for larger version


    You can see that it says "GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 8570M 13.200.0.0/Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 10.18.10.3304 (2080MB) x1". This makes me think that the switch did happen during the test.





    I am also totally baffled that I have to deal with issues of this kind with a brand new laptop, which is practically out of the box (I bought it on Jan 29). I can understand issues with drivers when updating to a new OS or a new version of a previous OS, but they are selling this laptop with the exact configuration I am using. One would think that it should work without the end user doing anything. I guess I am assuming too much. Forgive my ranting .




    The first thing I did the first time I had this error was googling for it, which lead me here:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) - Microsoft Community

    Where the solution proposed seems to be similar to what you were suggesting. Back them I read through it quickly and I assumed that updating meant trying to update through devmgmt.msc, which was saying my drivers were already updated: I am seeing now that if I try to update through the Intel Utility it actually detects a new driver, so I am hoping this will make things better. I unfortunately already have all updates available according to Windows Update, even including optional updates (I made sure the settings were right).


    A note regarding disabling the Intel GPU from devmgmt.msc: when I do that and reboot I get a warning on the device manager for the AMD saying that it's not working correctly, and everything graphics related seems to run very slowly (even worse than when I have both activated).


    I will keep you posted and report back here once I install and test the new Intel Driver. Also, if you don't mind I was thinking about posting a link to this thread on Lenovo's forum. I am sure other users with my same problem would find what we are writing here helpful.

    EDIT: Well, that was quick. I received an error message while trying to install the new intel driver, saying that the driver is not supported for my laptop, and that I should contact my manifacturer. Back to square zero I guess :P . But I am really starting to think that Lenovo is the one that is supposed to fix this.


    Hello Kalenz,




    (Very Important Question: Does your system use UEFI instead of BIOS?) if so, you'll need to follow certain procedures to make changes to it.

    Okay, there is another way to enable just your AMD graphics adapter. You can do that through your AMD Catalyst Control Center’s Graphics Properties menu. Simply select the “Power” tab/ “Switchable Graphics Global Settings”/ set both available options to “Maximize Performance”.

    This should cause only your AMD display adapter only to be used for everything.

    I want to know that these are only trouble shooting steps, to help us deduce where the actual problem lies. You mentioned that you were getting a BSOD while running certain programs. These particular steps are to help isolate which of the two graphics adapter drivers are causing that particular issue. I mentioned earlier that based on the information you provided, the problem seems to lie with your Intel driver. Naturally, I want to take the Intel driver completely out of the picture to see if the BSOD issue yet persists.

    If your Intel drivers turn out to be the culprit, you only need to upgrade your Intel driver to fix the problem. However, simply installing an update over corrupted drivers may not be enough. It may be necessary for you to completely uninstall both your Intel and AMD drivers to do a clean install of both to correct this issue. Once all previous drivers are removed, you can either manually re-install them or allow windows update service to do so for you.

    If you choose to do so, you’ll need to download a copy of Driver Fusion by Treexy or some similar software to completely remove any and/or all previous instances of your AMD/Intel graphics drivers. All of this is to keep you from having to re-image your system to fix the problem.

    Recap:

    1. Re-enable switchable graphics in BIOS.
    2. Re-configure switchable graphics to Maximize Performance under Global Settings option in CCC properties.
    3. Check to see if you can recreate the driver failure using only your AMD graphics adapter.



    Lastly, I suggest you use the Intel update utility to update any Intel drivers you have. Using the Device Manager retrieves the latest updates available in the Microsoft Update Catalog. They’re not always the latest offered by the hardware manufacturers.
    Here’s the thing…. You system probably has an energy stay rating, which is lost while using only your AMD graphics. This can cause excessive heat and fan noise. The two graphics adapters were intended to be use in tandem to conserve energy yet provide adequate power to render a full range of graphically demanding applications.



    P.S., I’m not sure why you would even bother with trying to fix this issue on your own, while you should have an active warranty from the manufacture or merchant who sold you the computer. I would advise you not to do anything that would void that warranty early (Only Install Lenovo Approved Device Drivers) . It took most of us on Eight Forums, literal, months to solve this problem with no help whatsoever from the pc manufacturers.
    Hello,
    sorry for the late reply, as I mentioned in my previous post I am unable to update to the latest Intel driver, since I get an error message stating that that driver is not supported for my device. For what concerns my manifacturer, the only way to officially contact them in my country (Italy) is a call center phone number which is active Monday through Friday between 9 am and 6 pm. I work from 8:30 to 7 pm, so you can see how that doesn't work well for me . I tried to post on their forum but I received no reply.

    I was hoping that my problem could be fixed through the windows update utility, which is why I started posting here. I see now that it's not going to be that easy. I will just try to avoid running applications that put stress on the graphic cards and wait for a fix to come. Thank you for trying to help me, and sorry if I wasted your time.[/QUOTE









    Hello Kalenz,

    I just noticed your in Europe. There is a patch that you may need to correct this issue. I provided you with the link to some information that spoke of an patch that is necessary to address display issue for European Lenovo systems with Intel/AMD display configurations. Revisit the links I provided and review the information found therein. The patch is needed in conjunction with the AMD update offered by Microsoft.

    I know this is really frustrating , but don't give up on finding a solution so easily. You can always refresh your current display drivers by simply doing a clean re-install of them.

    Drivers and software - Lenovo G510 Notebook

    These things do happen. Files become corrupted and programs stop working as intended. Refreshing your drivers is the safest way to safeguard your system's warranty and fixing whatever issue is causing your not being able to successfully update your existing drivers via the Intel and/or Microsoft Update service. I told you before it took most of us who use this thread literally months to find an acceptable solution. Just try refreshing your drivers by doing a clean re-install and see if that fixes things.

    Worse case scenario, you end up with your original drivers and back at square one. Best case scenario, it fixes your current issues so you're able to successfully update all of your current display firmware. Good Luck!!!


    P.S., Do what you can to fix the issue, but I would demand a replacement system for your trouble. The one you have was obviously not tested before it was boxed and shipped to you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #567


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1


    I tried that, but tbh I think drivers that fix the issue for my system are just not out yet. Funny enough, if I set everything with the power saving option (which is supposed to run only my Intel Card) things improve a lot (my Unigine score on basic goes from around 330 in "High performance" mode to 428 in "Power saving" mode). This also seems to be enough to give me the graphic power that I need for what I use this laptop for.

    I tried using the power saving configuration on my laptop because another user reported it to improve things on the Lenovo forum, otherwise I wouldn't even have thought about it since it's totally counterintuitive. Anyway this should be good enough for me until a real fix arrives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #568


    Posts : 15
    WINDOWS 8.1 PRO WITH MC

    New Radeon Card Arriving


    Hi to moderator and online users;

    I just bought A radeon R9 270 graphic card, it will arrive in few days, until now i only used the embedded HD 2000 graphic and intel drivers are updated to the latest.
    I would like to know if i have to unistall existing drivers and install only te Microsoft update catalog files i downloaded from micrsoft, or do i have to keep the intel drivers, then install the latest ccc drivers from sapphire/AMD and then execute the micrososft update catolog exe?

    I know this kind of request maight be already done but i did not find it.

    Thanks in advance for any help
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #569


    Posts : 15
    WINDOWS 8.1 PRO WITH MC


    I installed the graphic card but the intel hd graphic is disappeared from device manager.
    anyone can help me?
    Thank you in advance for any help
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #570


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by gasdel View Post
    I installed the graphic card but the intel hd graphic is disappeared from device manager.
    anyone can help me?
    Thank you in advance for any help
    Nice motherboard and it does support switchable graphics. There will be settings in the BIOS to decide whether to use the Intel graphics, the dedicated card or both (switchable). Be sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers for your board installed. Look here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P8Z68-V PRO
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ
Related Threads
I have HP Envy M6 1102tx with 2GB Radeon Switchable Graphics card but Catalyst Control Center can't be started.... Tried updating the ATI Radeon and Intel HD Graphics drivers and still not working. I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit
Greetings, I have been following the thread and so forth on the switchable graphics and anything to do with windows 8 for the longest time. I got one of those laptops where HP claims it doesnt support windows 8 and so forth. HP Envy 14 1211nr with beats audio. AMD 5650 1gb & Intel HD Video (FG)...
Hello! I have a notebook pc that comes with windows 7 from factory. I would like to install windows 8 in my machine. It has integrated intel hd graphics chip and separate nvidia geforce 420m graphic card. I heard switchable graphics are not working fine with windows 8. Is that true? BTW my system...
Switchable Graphics Driver in Graphic Cards
Hello, So I downloaded windows 8 onto my HP envy laptop (2011 model) and everything was going dandy until I tried connecting to my external monitor. It does not even acknowledge that my monitor is connected. I have looked online and it seems like the problem lies with my drivers. Apparently my...
Ok, so I have an HP ENVY dv6z-7200 Notebook PC that came with Windows 8 already installed. I've done A LOT of digging and came to the solution that I need to switch things around in the bios. I need to switch from Dynamic mode to Fixed mode, but there is no option in the new W8 EUFI thing, or...
Hello, I have an ati/amd radeon hd 6370 graphics card but it won't work on windows 8 RTM since the old drivers won't even install properly on windows 8(they install but don't seem to work). Can i get updated drivers(switchable graphics) for the ati graphics card? Also are there any updated...
If it's working, I'll grab the Windows 8 Release Preview. If it's not yet, I'll hold off for the retail version.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook