Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

  1. #291


    Quote Originally Posted by bethereornot View Post
    The switchable graphics card drivers that will work from HP. The only thing that I had to do, was disable the intel card side and install the Radeon card drivers and catalyst then restart your PC. You might have to play with it a couple times but that is what I found that worked for me and it is using HP drivers that ended up being Radeon (TM) HD 6770M that installed and worked fine and it was the newest drivers on this link below and it downloads via FTP straight from HP site.

    [Drivers] HP dv6-4XXX / dv6-6XXX / dv7-5XXX / dv7-6XXX / ENVY 14-2XXX / ENVY 17-2XXX (INTEL)
    Sorry if I'm being dense, but did you first disable the Intel card and then download and install the drivers, or did you download, install and then disable the Intel card? Right now the only way I can see my monitor is with the Intel Graphics. Also, I saw a couple of Radeon 6770 drivers there (it was confusing to me) - which one did you use? And these will work with the Radeon 6370 in the dv7-4283?
    And thank you so much!
    Last edited by Peterdoubt; 27 Nov 2012 at 16:04.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #292


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    oh man, here is yet another driver "suggested" to me by HP employees.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58875.exe

    Now I gave them my specs and card types, so who knows where this one came from.

    (dv7t-6c00, radeon 7690m xt/intel3000)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #293


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    oh man, here is yet another driver "suggested" to me by HP employees.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58875.exe

    Now I gave them my specs and card types, so who knows where this one came from.

    (dv7t-6c00, radeon 7690m xt/intel3000)

    how are you getting any support from HP? They won't give me any phone advice unless I go back to Win 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #294


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by Peterdoubt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    oh man, here is yet another driver "suggested" to me by HP employees.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58875.exe

    Now I gave them my specs and card types, so who knows where this one came from.

    (dv7t-6c00, radeon 7690m xt/intel3000)

    how are you getting any support from HP? They won't give me any phone advice unless I go back to Win 7.

    Go here, today they have these so called experts on line for help w/windows 8

    Where is the W8 graphics driver for my dv7t-6c00 with this r... - HP Support Forum
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #295


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterdoubt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    oh man, here is yet another driver "suggested" to me by HP employees.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58875.exe

    Now I gave them my specs and card types, so who knows where this one came from.

    (dv7t-6c00, radeon 7690m xt/intel3000)

    how are you getting any support from HP? They won't give me any phone advice unless I go back to Win 7.

    Go here, today they have these so called experts on line for help w/windows 8

    Where is the W8 graphics driver for my dv7t-6c00 with this r... - HP Support Forum
    Thanks, completely forgot about that - thought for sure I'd have it solved by now!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #296


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    maybe those with this 7690m xt need to go to the link I poosted and read through the posts, seems even the HP "experts" can't get it right. I'm told now that there is yet a driver to be released for the dv7t-6c00 for W8. its still a hit or miss ordeal, however more people seem to have good success with the sp59147 than any other so far on 8.

    Where is the W8 graphics driver for my dv7t-6c00 with this r... - HP Support Forum

    ======================

    edit


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Someone smarter than me just let me know what the problem is. The driver for dv7t-6c00 has not been released yet. It will be on the ftp as SP59850 when it is available.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/

    Check back in a few days. I'll keep an eye out for the download page to make sure it appears there. Sorry for the confusion.

    -wes
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    OK so the final word from Wes was............. wait for SP59850 to be posted............ wonderful..................
    Last edited by HOODY; 28 Nov 2012 at 15:58.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #297


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 CP x64


    Been busy, so couldn't/didn't post for a while.

    @HOODY, MKeezy, etc.: thanks for jumping in with both feet on behalf of others in need!



    So...

    For those of us who missed the HP Windows 8 Expert Day today (28 Nov 2012), please refer to the HP Helpful Windows 8 Information & FAQs page, and especially the Notebook and Display Video section.

    The post that most of us will want, is Windows 8 Drivers for HP notebooks with switchable graphics - page 49 and up. According to HP, you can always post a thread on the boards if you have issues (see the end of the 2nd paragraph by [HP:] Katie_H, HP Helpful Windows 8 Information & FAQs page).

    For those still with questions on what to do, login to EightForums then do Search Thread, or please see the first post for updated info.



    Since my notebook is not supported by HP for Windows 8, I'm currently on HP SoftPaq SP59147 (Intel HD Graphics 3000, method: Have Disk) with AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8 (AMD Radeon HD 6770M, method: download from AMD then install)...and eagerly awaiting SP59850 from HP! This means I don't have the latest versions (updated list on the first post), but they do work and enable CCC to run (both the Graphics Properties and Configure Switchable Graphics menus from right-clicking the Desktop).

    BTW, it seems if you reverse the installation order (AMD Beta, then Intel, then reboot), you'll end up running SP59147 for both drivers (version 9.0.0.0, dated 8/15/2012 on both cards in Device Manager).


    Finally, this is not the only or even necessarily, the best option for unsupported models with Switchable Graphics. Others include:

    1. leshcatlabs.net (3rd-party, community support ONLY)
    2. Extract the Windows 7 driver or SoftPaq (SPxxxxxx.exe) and run the Setup.exe in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode
    3. Fixed Mode in BIOS to use AMD-only (faster, discrete GPU ONLY)
    4. Intel-only, by not installing the AMD graphics driver (slower, integrated GPU ONLY)
    5. Microsoft Windows Update, automatic install with O/S (equivalent to Intel-only, above - no Switchable Graphics)
    6. Mix-and-match all or any of the above (good luck!)



    With my current setup, I'm still hearing my fans go up to medium (but not to LOUD) with too many tabs in IE10...but at least I have no suspend/resume issues or black-screen-with-touchpad-lit when my machine goes idle anymore, like I did with Intel driver 9.17.10.2875 and previous (AFAIK also .2867, .2857), together with AMD driver from Windows Update (which would also "Code 43" in Device Manager, for reasons explained here).

    Edit: No wait, I just crashed again with my fan on loud after idling for a few hours, and black-screen-with touchpad-lit again. SP59147 is based on Intel 9.17.10.2847 and AMD Catalyst 12.9/12.10. Admittedly, I had many many many browser windows (IE and Chrome with multiple tabs) and other applications open, so system usage was above average...but still, that's what it's there for, (otherwise what's the point of 8 or 16GB of RAM?)

    Hopefully HP's SoftPaq SP59850 is the cure...
    Last edited by alphastar; 01 Dec 2012 at 11:40.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #298


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Anyone knows a working Win 8 x64 driver from HP for AMD Radeon HD 6370M + Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Pavilion dm4-1300st?
    No luck with the product page, there are only win 7 drivers..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #299


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by alphastar View Post
    Been busy, so couldn't/didn't post for a while.

    @HOODY, MKeezy, etc.: thanks for jumping in with both feet on behalf of others in need!



    So...

    For those of us who missed the HP Windows 8 Expert Day today (28 Nov 2012), please refer to the HP Helpful Windows 8 Information & FAQs page, and especially the Notebook and Display Video section.

    The post that most of us will want, is Windows 8 Drivers for HP notebooks with switchable graphics - page 49 and up. According to HP, you can always post a thread on the boards if you have issues (see the end of the 2nd paragraph by HP:Katie_H, HP Helpful Windows 8 Information & FAQs page).

    For those still with questions on what to do, login to EightForums then do Search Thread, or please see the first post for updated info.



    Since my notebook is not supported by HP for Windows 8, I'm currently on HP SoftPaq SP59147 (Intel HD Graphics 3000, method: Have Disk) with AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8 (AMD Radeon HD 6770M, method: download from AMD then install)...and eagerly awaiting SP59850 from HP! This means I don't have the latest versions (updated list on the first post), but they do work and enable CCC to run (both the Graphics Properties and Configure Switchable Graphics menus from right-clicking the Desktop).

    BTW, it seems if you reverse the installation order (AMD Beta, then Intel, then reboot), you'll end up running SP59147 for both drivers (version 9.0.0.0, dated 8/15/2012 on both cards in Device Manager).


    Finally, this is not the only or even necessarily, the best option for unsupported models with Switchable Graphics. Others include:

    1. leshcatlabs.net (3rd-party, community support ONLY)
    2. Fixed Mode to use AMD-only (faster, discrete GPU ONLY)
    3. Intel-only, with no AMD graphics (slower, integrated GPU ONLY)



    With my current setup, I'm still hearing my fans go up to medium (but not to LOUD) with too many tabs in IE10...but at least I have no suspend/resume issues or black-screen-with-touchpad-lit when my machine goes idle anymore, like I did with Intel driver 9.17.10.2875 and previous (AFAIK also .2867, .2857), together with AMD driver from Windows Update (which would also "Code 43" in Device Manager, for reasons explained here).

    Hopefully HP's SoftPaq SP59850 is the cure...

    Yeah it was pretty much about what I expected, except for the "expert" actually posting a driver that had nothing to do with my model at first. I felt silly myself because I posted it too because I wanted people to get it also, only to find he made a mistake and ended up correcting himself, which than made me go around and try to correct my stuff.

    Anyway bottom line ended up with what you see, that for my model that sp59850 ( when available) will be the W8 driver for me and those with the same setup. When is of course again the question, per this Wes, it seems to be in days, at least I got him to say he will follow up on the download page, we'll see.

    This is why I didn't want to jump into all those "fix's", I wanted a driver I can install and work if I installed W8, not some mess I would end up having to re engineer my self, and hope it works. Since this is my first laptop, I'm not all that sure footed, all I ever used were desktops, I could take apart and re build if needed. Hell I was surprised that "dedicated" graphics card on a laptop was actually "integraded" on the MB and couldn't be replaced as in a desktop. When all this started I was just going to get a Gforce and replace the Radeon lol, and so my education on laptops started lol.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #300


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 CP x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphastar View Post
    With my current setup, I'm still hearing my fans go up to medium (but not to LOUD) with too many tabs in IE10...but at least I have no suspend/resume issues or black-screen-with-touchpad-lit when my machine goes idle anymore, like I did with Intel driver 9.17.10.2875 and previous (AFAIK also .2867, .2857), together with AMD driver from Windows Update (which would also "Code 43" in Device Manager, for reasons explained here).

    Hopefully HP's SoftPaq SP59850 is the cure...

    Hell I was surprised that "dedicated" graphics card on a laptop was actually "integraded" on the MB and couldn't be replaced as in a desktop. When all this started I was just going to get a Gforce and replace the Radeon lol, and so my education on laptops started lol.
    Hey HOODY,

    I just updated my post above again...I'm still having issues with suspending under moderate to high mem usage when the computer is idle. The last time I didn't have these high-fan and idle-crash issues, I believe I was running Intel 9.17.10.2792 or 2827 on Windows 8 Release Preview (if Intel/AMD/Microsoft/HP are listening).

    At any rate, I'm on pure HP drivers and still not satisfied, so we may be a ways from having this "solved", even with SP59850, unless they've made some serious progress with the QA/testing for Switchable Graphics setups.

    Also, a little OT, but there are laptops with removable/upgradeable cards - see Implementations in the MXM article on Wikipedia for details.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ
Related Threads
I have HP Envy M6 1102tx with 2GB Radeon Switchable Graphics card but Catalyst Control Center can't be started.... Tried updating the ATI Radeon and Intel HD Graphics drivers and still not working. I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit
Greetings, I have been following the thread and so forth on the switchable graphics and anything to do with windows 8 for the longest time. I got one of those laptops where HP claims it doesnt support windows 8 and so forth. HP Envy 14 1211nr with beats audio. AMD 5650 1gb & Intel HD Video (FG)...
Hello! I have a notebook pc that comes with windows 7 from factory. I would like to install windows 8 in my machine. It has integrated intel hd graphics chip and separate nvidia geforce 420m graphic card. I heard switchable graphics are not working fine with windows 8. Is that true? BTW my system...
Switchable Graphics Driver in Graphic Cards
Hello, So I downloaded windows 8 onto my HP envy laptop (2011 model) and everything was going dandy until I tried connecting to my external monitor. It does not even acknowledge that my monitor is connected. I have looked online and it seems like the problem lies with my drivers. Apparently my...
Ok, so I have an HP ENVY dv6z-7200 Notebook PC that came with Windows 8 already installed. I've done A LOT of digging and came to the solution that I need to switch things around in the bios. I need to switch from Dynamic mode to Fixed mode, but there is no option in the new W8 EUFI thing, or...
Hello, I have an ati/amd radeon hd 6370 graphics card but it won't work on windows 8 RTM since the old drivers won't even install properly on windows 8(they install but don't seem to work). Can i get updated drivers(switchable graphics) for the ati graphics card? Also are there any updated...
If it's working, I'll grab the Windows 8 Release Preview. If it's not yet, I'll hold off for the retail version.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook