Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Wrong Screen Resolution

  1. #1


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8.1

    Wrong Screen Resolution


    Hello All

    I have Lenovo y500 which is FULL HD laptop. I am using my laptop in 1080p (thats what my screen resolution is set to). When i downloaded some rainmeter 1080p skins it didnt fit in my screen. I thought it was bug in those skins. When going through some webpages it shows my resolution is set to 1536 x 864. I am confused.Click image for larger version. I even checked in other websites. There is no Hardware fault because I used those same 1080p skins When I was in Win 8. Now I am using win 8.1 update 1. To make things complicated, the captured screen shot is of 1080p resolution only. So i think is this work of my graphic card ?



    How I Solved it:

    Quote Originally Posted by ariftwister View Post
    Okay after Hours of Google Search found that I am not alone with this weird problem. Some of the other 1080p Laptop owners also faced the same wrong res problem. Even they had the same 1536 x 864 res wrongly. And the Solution is very Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariftwister View Post
    Attachment 42172

    I dont know how this option relates to my issue, but it is fixed now. 1080p wallpaper fits perfectly and so are 1080p wallpapers and Those websites too show 1080p res.
    Last edited by ariftwister; 25 Apr 2014 at 01:11.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro


    Hello ariftwister,

    It seems like others have experienced a similar issue with their y500's:

    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...n/td-p/1151045

    Y500 Screen Replacement - Lenovo Community

    Now, if you read carefully through the above threads, you'll get the impression that some are updating their actual LCD panels to "full HD panels" to fix their own specific issues and some have even surmised this may have been an installation error by the factory (eg, used wrong panels). There is also talk about a possible patch that needs to be applied. If this laptop is relatively new, I would head directly back to Lenovo support. Who knows, maybe it was a mistake at the factory because your 1536x864 resolution is in exact proportion to a 1980x1020 resolution. At the very least, I would post this issue at the Lenovo forum before tearing my hair out over a possible driver issue. Good luck with your own decision.

    SpringUpdate
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SpringUpdate View Post
    Hello ariftwister,

    It seems like others have experienced a similar issue with their y500's:

    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...n/td-p/1151045

    Y500 Screen Replacement - Lenovo Community

    Now, if you read carefully through the above threads, you'll get the impression that some are updating their actual LCD panels to "full HD panels" to fix their own specific issues and some have even surmised this may have been an installation error by the factory (eg, used wrong panels). There is also talk about a possible patch that needs to be applied. If this laptop is relatively new, I would head directly back to Lenovo support. Who knows, maybe it was a mistake at the factory because your 1536x864 resolution is in exact proportion to a 1980x1020 resolution. At the very least, I would post this issue at the Lenovo forum before tearing my hair out over a possible driver issue. Good luck with your own decision.

    SpringUpdate

    No I dont think its the same issue as those. They clearly state that they cant increase their screen resolution beyond 1366 x 768. But my Screen resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 which is maximum. And all 1080p videos fit perfectly on my screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro


    Interesting analysis; however, I didn't have to read past the first sentence of the first post to say that I disagree with your analysis:

    I just received my Lenovo Y500 Model (59371973) in the mail which claimed its resolution was 1080p. When I turned it on, I was shocked to find out that it is in fact only 1366x768 resolution.
    If you don't have the Full HD (1080p) version of the Y500 you can still upgrade to a Full HD screen and you may not need to change the LCD cable as it is already an HD capable. You may need to patch the DSDT though when upgrading the resolution with dual link patch.
    Anyway, sorry to intrude and good luck with your issue.

    SpringUpdate
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8.1


    I recently updated to Windows 8.1 update 1. So maybe that's the problem,?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ariftwister View Post
    I recently updated to Windows 8.1 update 1. So maybe that's the problem,?
    You never confirmed that it ever worked either. Now, if it did, there was much wasted effort here. BTW, its those little things that are forgotten that make all the difference in the world when troubleshooting. Good luck to you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SpringUpdate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ariftwister View Post
    I recently updated to Windows 8.1 update 1. So maybe that's the problem,?
    You never confirmed that it ever worked either. Now, if it did, there was much wasted effort here. BTW, its those little things that are forgotten that make all the difference in the world when troubleshooting. Good luck to you.
    It worked pretty well.
    Actually I had to restore my laptop (from win 8.1 to factory default win 8) due to bsod issue and then updated to win 8.1 and now finally 8.1 u1. Everything went smooth without a problem. Now only I realize the resolution problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by ariftwister View Post
    Hello All

    I have Lenovo y500 which is FULL HD laptop. I am using my laptop in 1080p (thats what my screen resolution is set to). When i downloaded some rainmeter 1080p skins it didnt fit in my screen. I thought it was bug in those skins. When going through some webpages it shows my resolution is set to 1536 x 864. I am confused.
    Because of different size monitors on computers (anywhere from 8" up on tablets, to 17" to 32" and more for desktops, and 8" to 17" for laptops and netbooks), webmasters generally build web pages to show in a resolution that will fit on most sizes of monitors. My monitor is 23" and my son has a 32" monitor. I have a Kindle Fire HD (8.9") and an HP Slate (10.1"). The webmaster has to be skilled enough to build a page that will "fit" on all these monitors. So, I think that's why you may see different resolutions on web pages.

    Quote Originally Posted by ariftwister View Post
    I even checked in other websites. There is no Hardware fault because I used those same 1080p skins When I was in Win 8. Now I am using win 8.1 update 1. To make things complicated, the captured screen shot is of 1080p resolution only. So i think is this work of my graphic card ?
    Probably not your graphic card. Because your screenshot shows 1080p resolution, that shows that the graphic card's working properly.

    When you right click on your desktop, click on personalize, then on Desktop Background, you get fill, stretch, fit, tile, center. At that point you choose one. Although I understand you're looking at skins, I would think you should have the same options with them as you would with the desktop background. If those options aren't available for your skins, you should go to the next step:

    Because Microsoft totally changed system requirements for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update, things are no longer the same as they were in Windows 8. Also, by the time we get a computer in our hands, especially if it started out as a Windows 8 system, there will most likely be updated drivers and firmware and maybe even BIOS/UEFI updates available. So, check that out and see if it helps.

    BTW, it doesn't matter if you bought it yesterday; it's most likely been on a shelf waiting for you to buy it since the first Windows 8 Y500 was completed. Whether you bought it through a third party or through Lenovo, that machine goes out exactly the same as the first, with no updates provided.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 35
    Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit


    Hi Ariftwister,
    So the setting in your screen resolution panel does not match the actual display resolution. That is really mysterious. What resolution does whatismyscreenresolution.com say you end up with if you intentionally set the display resolution to 1536x834? I would try that, and then try changing it back to 1080p. If it is still displaying incorrectly, I would try reinstalling the latest version of the driver for your video card.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by drteeth View Post
    Hi Ariftwister,
    So the setting in your screen resolution panel does not match the actual display resolution. That is really mysterious. What resolution does whatismyscreenresolution.com say you end up with if you intentionally set the display resolution to 1536x834? I would try that, and then try changing it back to 1080p. If it is still displaying incorrectly, I would try reinstalling the latest version of the driver for your video card.
    I reduced to next possible resolution which is 1650 x 1000 (or something) the website displayed even a lower resolution than what I had set. Then tried the lowest possible res . Then only the website matched the lowest res. Then I switched back to 1080p, the website showed 1536x834.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wrong Screen Resolution
Related Threads
Hi all I'm new to the forum and looking for some help with a strange problem I am having with my windows 8. I have an ASUS laptop running 8.0 which I am running with a second screen (dell monitor) connected via VGA. I have it set so the external monitor is the primary screen and the laptop...
screen resolution help in Graphic Cards
i like to have my screen resolution on the lowest my graphics card can handle which is 1024X768 as it magnifies this on the screen so it is easier to see on my 32" lcd. the downside is that some things are impossible to do as the resolution is too small. to give you an example i have taken a...
I just set up a new desktop, an hp pavilion p6-2378, with AMD A8-5600K APU processor, and RADEON HD 3.6GHz graphics. I have it hooked up to one of those older HP flatscreen monitors (pavilion 1503) that are fully height adjustable and tiltable. I *love* this monitor for what I use it for. However,...
I am getting a wrong ("compacted") resolution for a 1280x1024 monitor when booting. Anyway to repair that? Thanks.
I just changed my laptop's OS to Windows 8 but somehow, i can't change my screen resolution the way it was before. here's a screenshot: http://oi39.tinypic.com/33kd2xc.jpg and when i go to desktop, right-click then screen resolution, there's only 1 option available. here's how it looks like:...
Just installed windows 8 its great, a bit slow but i assume it will become faster in the next few months, Anyway plugged my hp laptop into my external Dell ST2420L monitor (HDMI) and the resolution is completly wrong And not only is the resolution wrong but there is a black gap all around the...
Screen resolution problem in Graphic Cards
hi am working on windows 8 only from 2 day the screen resolution of my computer is only show two setting 1024 * 768 1280 * 1024 and the two setting are not good for my screen 22" how can I add more resolution my VGA is build in ,motherboard is Intel DG31PR
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook