Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Graphics card not appearing as main one?

  1. #11


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8 x64 Home Edition & Windows 7 x64 Professional


    I maybe mistaken. Im not quite sure, i will look into it more after work. Thank you archie

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by yuricuri View Post
    Hello,
    First of, I would like to thank the people who put together this site, and everyone on here for there time to help users with questions.
    Secondly,
    I just purchased a HP Envy DV6-7250CA with Windows 8 Home Edition x64.
    It has a NVIDIA Geforce 630m 2gb graphics card.
    When I turned the computer on, followed the instructions and setup windows 8, i then proceeded to right click on the desktop, and went to screen resolution.
    The display read, Mobile PC Display.
    I then clicked on Advanced Settings, and the adapter type reads Intel HD Graphics 4000.
    In the device manager, under Display, I have Intel HD Graphics 4000, and Nvidia 630m Geforce.
    I have tried to disable the Intel HD Graphics 4000. and Now when I go to display properties, it Lists Generic, instead of Mobile PC. I have re-enabled Intel HD Graphics 4000, and it shows Mobile PC Display.
    I have contacted HP regarding this matter. They advised me to download, through the link they have sent me, the NVidia Geforce 630m 2gb driver from there site, which I did, and reinstalled it. They also said to me that when I right click on desk top, I should have an option that says "Switchable Graphics". But that is not so.
    Am I supposed to disable something in UEFI or in BIOS then to make the display adapter appear as NVIDIA Geforce 630M instead of Intel HD Graphics 4000 when I right click on desktop and go to screen resolution, then advanced settings. Or is this just the way its supposed to be.
    I guess what i asking, how do I make the Nvidia Geforce 630m my main adapter?
    Or is it supposed to be like this.
    HP cant seem to answer me.
    Can anyone please assist me with this.
    Regards,
    Yuri
    Thank you.
    I have nearly the same stuff here: see specs but didn't said yet dv6-7250eb

    There is no problem. it's supposed to be like this.
    The two cards switch between each other, if 3D is needed Nvidia card will jump right in.

    When you right click on a program you get the choice to run on selected gfx card.
    The one that's default (Intel) is not important. So don't worry when you see the menu options.

    By the way, the UEFI looks just like the BIOS (UI) from an older dv7 I have. And anyway since we use laptops most advanced options are hidden and locked down so don't search too much for those.

    The gfx works great as is just right click and choose the one you need if you don't trust the auto select mode.
    As I said, nvidia will be used when 3D is needed.

    Important note: the two cards make a team, they communicate with each other: for instance if I run something on Intel and then I stretch the resolution (custom settings on Intel menu) then NVidia will use the same stretched resolution for the same program: very nice.

    Cheers
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Its the F10 key while booting to enter the bios on a hp usually but after looking around the interweb it seems that HP have disabled the advanced options in bios in the newer models. Im quite sure the setting your looking for isnt in the advanced options. Hopefully they wont have the bios fully locked i have heard some laptop manufacturers have started doing this :/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8 x64 Home Edition & Windows 7 x64 Professional


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yuricuri View Post
    Hello,
    First of, I would like to thank the people who put together this site, and everyone on here for there time to help users with questions.
    Secondly,
    I just purchased a HP Envy DV6-7250CA with Windows 8 Home Edition x64.
    It has a NVIDIA Geforce 630m 2gb graphics card.
    When I turned the computer on, followed the instructions and setup windows 8, i then proceeded to right click on the desktop, and went to screen resolution.
    The display read, Mobile PC Display.
    I then clicked on Advanced Settings, and the adapter type reads Intel HD Graphics 4000.
    In the device manager, under Display, I have Intel HD Graphics 4000, and Nvidia 630m Geforce.
    I have tried to disable the Intel HD Graphics 4000. and Now when I go to display properties, it Lists Generic, instead of Mobile PC. I have re-enabled Intel HD Graphics 4000, and it shows Mobile PC Display.
    I have contacted HP regarding this matter. They advised me to download, through the link they have sent me, the NVidia Geforce 630m 2gb driver from there site, which I did, and reinstalled it. They also said to me that when I right click on desk top, I should have an option that says "Switchable Graphics". But that is not so.
    Am I supposed to disable something in UEFI or in BIOS then to make the display adapter appear as NVIDIA Geforce 630M instead of Intel HD Graphics 4000 when I right click on desktop and go to screen resolution, then advanced settings. Or is this just the way its supposed to be.
    I guess what i asking, how do I make the Nvidia Geforce 630m my main adapter?
    Or is it supposed to be like this.
    HP cant seem to answer me.
    Can anyone please assist me with this.
    Regards,
    Yuri
    Thank you.
    I have nearly the same stuff here: see specs dv6-7250eb

    There is no problem. it's supposed to be like this.
    The two cards switch between each other, if 3D is needed Nvidia card will jump right in.

    When you right click on a program you get the choice to run on selected gfx card.
    The one that's default (Intel) is not important. So don't worry when you see the menu options.

    By the way, the UEFI looks just like the BIOS (UI) from an older dv7 I have. And anyway since we use laptops most advanced options are hidden and locked down so don't search too much for those.

    The gfx works great as is just right click and choose the one you need if you don't trust the auto select mode.
    As I said, nvidia will be used when 3D is needed.

    Cheers
    Hopachi
    WOW! Thank you so much!!!!!! I just found what you mean, any app I right click on, it says "Run with graphics card:" and gives me a choice "High preformance NVIDIA" or "Integrated Graphics".

    I sincerely appreciate your help with this, and for also explaining to me about the UEFI and not needing to search for those!

    Kind Regards, Yuri
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8 x64 Home Edition & Windows 7 x64 Professional


    Quote Originally Posted by archie123 View Post
    Its the F10 key while booting to enter the bios on a hp usually but after looking around the interweb it seems that HP have disabled the advanced options in bios in the newer models. Im quite sure the setting your looking for isnt in the advanced options. Hopefully they wont have the bios fully locked i have heard some laptop manufacturers have started doing this :/
    Thanks for the information on the F10 key!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by yuricuri View Post

    WOW! Thank you so much!!!!!! I just found what you mean, any app I right click on, it says "Run with graphics card:" and gives me a choice "High preformance NVIDIA" or "Integrated Graphics".

    I sincerely appreciate your help with this, and for also explaining to me about the UEFI and not needing to search for those!

    Kind Regards, Yuri
    You're welcome.

    See this info too,

    Important note: the two cards make a team, they communicate with each other: for instance if I run something on Intel and then I stretch the resolution (custom settings on Intel menu) then NVidia will use the same stretched resolution for the same program: very nice.
    I was also confused like you did in begin but I kinda like the 2 cards setup now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    The NVidia Control Panel is pretty empty and many options we knew in the past (older drivers, cards, computers...) are now missing.

    BUT the missing options are found in Intel's gfx menus, like for example the stretching, and by changing these settings, NVidia will keep them when running! Great.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Graphics card not appearing as main one?
Related Threads
HELP! With Graphics card in Graphic Cards
I bought a new computer with the Nvidia GForce 730 and my computer shows that I have the Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Gforce 730 and i think pc using not nvidia but intel hd, becouse a lot of games i have a lag pls help :)
:oi am new to this forum and computing and would like to ask advice as to what would be the best graphics card for my pc,i have a packard bell iextreme m5722,i only use it for going online and gaming,being strapped for cash is one factor,it has a pcie slot on the motherboard,i can give more specs...
Graphics card in Graphic Cards
I have the Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE laptop with 2GB AMD Radeon dedicated graphics. As far as I remember I have the AMD Radeon 7730 HD series hardware.Recently while upgrading my catalyst control centre I noticed that my hardware changed to AMD Radeon 7700(as seen in device manager). Can someone...
graphics card in Graphic Cards
i wnt to install ati radeon 5000 drivers in my sony vaio for windows 8 pro i have searched every were but i didn get it plzzz help meee
My current graphics card is an internal NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 with 128MB video memory. With 128MB video memory, Ubuntu unity lags as well as MTA and TF2. 720p videos work fine but sometimes they lag too. Overall I experience frequent FPS drops with my current internal graphics card. ...
Which graphics card is better? NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS or Intel® HD Graphics 4000? I know the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS is over 7 years old but its still a dedicated graphics card. So is it faster and better then the Intel® HD Graphics 4000? I hope not because I just ordered a new laptop with the...
Looking for a Graphics Card in Graphic Cards
If you are looking for cheap a Graphics Card, check this out. ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB PCIE Graphics Card : ATI PCI Express : Maplin 566 Check the check out price.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook