Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

OpenGL Error

  1. #1

    OpenGL Error


    First off I have the GT650M GPU and an Intel HD 4000 that is my CPU's GPU, my CPU is an Intel i7-3630QM.

    I have had this laptop for a month and everything is fine, until today, I left my computer over-night on minecraft doing somethings for me, not the first time I do this but never had trouble before, and today when I woke up I went to check on it, played for like 5 minutes, with huge FPS drops, I usually have stable FPS but I have noticed that if I leave it over-night it would drop to like 0~10 FPS in the morning, a computer restart would fix this.
    So I restarted my computer and when I tried to log in I got this error.
    Also I have reinstalled java and updated my GPU to the latest version, and since the problem is pretty obviously OpenGL my question is how to fix this?
    I have posted this on the minecraft forums already, several people have this problem as well, but I couldn't find anything that helped me, at least for Windows 8 anyway.
    Also my computer runs the Intel HD 4000 most of the time, but it switchs to the GT650M when running minecraft and other games.


    Bad video card drivers!
    -----------------------

    Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
    This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.



    --- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 --------
    Generated 26-01-2013 11:31

    -- System Details --
    Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.4.6
    Operating System: Windows 8 (x86) version 6.2
    Java Version: 1.7.0_11, Oracle Corporation
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot Client VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    Memory: 188730048 bytes (179 MB) / 259522560 bytes (247 MB) up to 1037959168 bytes (989 MB)
    JVM Flags: 5 total; -Xms256M -Xmx1024M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+AggressiveOpts
    AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
    Suspicious classes: FML and Forge are installed
    IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
    FML: MCP v7.25 FML v4.6.17.515 Minecraft Forge 6.5.0.489 Feed The Beast Mod Pack 0 mods loaded, 0 mods active
    LWJGL: 2.4.2
    OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null
    Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'forge,fml'
    Type: Client (map_client.txt)
    Texture Pack: Texture Pack.zip
    Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
    Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]


    org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:397)
    at asq.a(SourceFile:56)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:744)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT cc3dd245 ----------


    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    So I downloaded and installed OpenGL Extensions Viewer and it tells me that I have OpenGL 1.1 when my video card can support up to 4.1* (or so says the Nvidia website), and it also says that 4.1* isn't compatible, any clue on this or am I just reading this all wrong?






    I'm thinking I have to re-install my graphics card, but not sure if necessary/how to do it.



    EDIT: Actually it only supports up to 4.1 it looks like, but still it still says unsupported on the application.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Ok fixed it, for users with an Nvidia GPU just simply pick Advanced install in the update center (after you downloaded the latest driver) and check the last option, which basicly uninstall and re-install the driver and that fixes everything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Glad you fixed it.

    I have the same cpu and almost the same specs but no openGL problems.

    The clean reinstall of the drivers should fix it.

    Also, if you run the laptop over night there is a chance for the temperatures to rise high over time. The higher spin of the fans will accumulate more dust than normal.
    Make sure you have external laptop cooling pad because it helps.

    Examples:
    Amazon.com: Cooling Pads: Computers & Accessories

    Other thing is you can also tune the cpu a bit down if it will have to run for a long time:
    -create a custom power plan based on what you use now
    -reduce the maximum processor state lower than 100% (I'm running on 80% @1.9Ghz and the laptop temp never goes higher that 56C)
    The hardware will live longer this way.
    5 Simple Ways to Cool a Hot Notebook
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Glad you fixed it.

    I have the same cpu and almost the same specs but no openGL problems.

    The clean reinstall of the drivers should fix it.

    Also, if you run the laptop over night there is a chance for the temperatures to rise high over time. The higher spin of the fans will accumulate more dust than normal.
    Make sure you have external laptop cooling pad because it helps.

    Examples:
    Amazon.com: Cooling Pads: Computers & Accessories

    Other thing is you can also tune the cpu a bit down if it will have to run for a long time:
    -create a custom power plan based on what you use now
    -reduce the maximum processor state lower than 100% (I'm running on 80% @1.9Ghz and the laptop temp never goes higher that 56C)
    The hardware will live longer this way.
    5 Simple Ways to Cool a Hot Notebook
    With this new laptop it doesn't get hot at all, and since a game like minecraft isn't that hard on the GPU it won't go over 50 C even when running for a long time, for the GT650M anyway.
    What I noticed though is that my CPU's GPU does go to like 70 C (using GPU-Z), I don't know if that's normal or not, but I don't feel any heat coming from the laptop in any area, and that's when I'm playing, when the GT650M is being used.
    Thanks for the tips too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    That's Ok.

    I have the same here on balanced: 70C but that is a bit high if you leave it for a night long.
    Here I have HP envy. What laptop do you have there?

    Of course Minecraft is not high on the GPU but it is higher on the CPU.

    I'm fine with the lower frequencies here because I don't notice any performance loss for general usage.
    It will take a bit more for the stuff it calculates but you spare the hardware some heat.
    Of course you could add an extra fan pad as optional but as long as all runs smoothly and well, you don't need that, use what works best for you.

    Regards
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    That's Ok.

    I have the same here on balanced: 70C but that is a bit high if you leave it for a night long.
    Here I have HP envy. What laptop do you have there?

    Of course Minecraft is not high on the GPU but it is higher on the CPU.

    I'm fine with the lower frequencies here because I don't notice any performance loss for general usage.
    It will take a bit more for the stuff it calculates but you spare the hardware some heat.
    Of course you could add an extra fan pad as optional but as long as all runs smoothly and well, you don't need that, use what works best for you.

    Regards
    Hopachi
    I have an Asus, and these temperatures are all on Power4Gear High Performance that's the power plan that Asus uses when the GT650M is being used, and I don't really see any difference between that, plain High Performance or Balance, don't really see any difference perfomance wise either.
    Also don't HP computer have some heat problems? That's not really a reason why I picked Asus, though, Asus is "known" for having less heating problem, I know my old HP had tons of them.
    And about the cooling pad, I was just thinking about buying one soon too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by paulo27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    That's Ok.

    I have the same here on balanced: 70C but that is a bit high if you leave it for a night long.
    Here I have HP envy. What laptop do you have there?

    Of course Minecraft is not high on the GPU but it is higher on the CPU.

    I'm fine with the lower frequencies here because I don't notice any performance loss for general usage.
    It will take a bit more for the stuff it calculates but you spare the hardware some heat.
    Of course you could add an extra fan pad as optional but as long as all runs smoothly and well, you don't need that, use what works best for you.

    Regards
    Hopachi
    I have an Asus, and these temperatures are all on Power4Gear High Performance that's the power plan that Asus uses when the GT650M is being used, and I don't really see any difference between that, plain High Performance or Balance, don't really see any difference perfomance wise either.
    Also don't HP computer have some heat problems? That's not really a reason why I picked Asus, though, Asus is "known" for having less heating problem, I know my old HP had tons of them.
    And about the cooling pad, I was just thinking about buying one soon too.
    Nah don't think it's a heat problem here. It's pretty new and well built with aluminum case that helps some heat away + good fan.
    Those heat problems were known in the past but I don't exceed 70C on CPU I just take precautions with my customized plan. There are programs that use 100% of all 8cores so the reduced power plan is recommended then not to hit 80C on high performance (possible), instead I have 60C max on all used cores.

    All goes well. GPU has nothing high of temps.

    The cooling pad is a good deal for the pretty cheap price it has especially if you game a lot on your notebook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    That's Ok.

    I have the same here on balanced: 70C but that is a bit high if you leave it for a night long.
    Here I have HP envy. What laptop do you have there?

    Of course Minecraft is not high on the GPU but it is higher on the CPU.

    I'm fine with the lower frequencies here because I don't notice any performance loss for general usage.
    It will take a bit more for the stuff it calculates but you spare the hardware some heat.
    Of course you could add an extra fan pad as optional but as long as all runs smoothly and well, you don't need that, use what works best for you.

    Regards
    Hopachi
    I have an Asus, and these temperatures are all on Power4Gear High Performance that's the power plan that Asus uses when the GT650M is being used, and I don't really see any difference between that, plain High Performance or Balance, don't really see any difference perfomance wise either.
    Also don't HP computer have some heat problems? That's not really a reason why I picked Asus, though, Asus is "known" for having less heating problem, I know my old HP had tons of them.
    And about the cooling pad, I was just thinking about buying one soon too.
    Nah don't think it's a heat problem here. It's pretty new and well built with aluminum case that helps some heat away + good fan.
    Those heat problems were known in the past but I don't exceed 70C on CPU I just take precautions with my customized plan. There are programs that use 100% of all 8cores so the reduced power plan is recommended then not to hit 80C on high performance (possible), instead I have 60C max on all used cores.

    All goes well. GPU has nothing high of temps.

    The cooling pad is a good deal for the pretty cheap price it has especially if you game a lot on your notebook.
    So I guess everything is pretty standard then.
    Don't really know why this problem happened in the first place, but I'll try to be more careful overall.
    I'll mark this as solved and hope this helps someone in the future.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by paulo27 View Post
    Don't really know why this problem happened in the first place, but I'll try to be more careful overall.
    It seems you didn't had any nvidia/intel drivers loaded back then: your OpenGL Viewer screenshot says you were running the MS Basic Display Adapter (it can sometimes happen) and that explains everything.

    After loading/installing the latest nVidia drivers, your 650M had all extensions loaded as it should.

    By using driver 310.70 on my 630M, I see OpenGL 4.2 fully supported in the Viewer and also 70% of the 4.3 version is available.
    If seems that future driver versions will add OpenGL 4.3 as fully supported.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
OpenGL Error
Related Threads
Hi my name is Basel and am new to this forum 2 days ago I've Installed Windows 8 Pro x86 so i tried to play a game It's Minecraft. And Suddenly I get this error! ---- Minecraft Crash Report ---- // I feel sad now :(
Another OpenGL Thread. in Graphic Cards
So, I get this Minecraft Error: Bad video card drivers! ----------------------- Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode. This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers. --- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271...
How to enable Opengl? in Graphic Cards
Hi, I am using Win 8 CP. And my graphics card is Intel GMA 3100. I have to use photoshop and other apps but I can't enable opengl. I tried searching for relevant drivers but couldn't find them. Does anyone has some trick or method to enable opengl or can you provide me with the latest drivers. ...
OpenGL in General Support
Just a question, does the RTM version support OpenGL graphics?
OpenGL in Graphic Cards
Hi all, Does anyone know how to get OpenGL for Windows 8 RP? I want to play Minecraft but I get that annoying error message about bad video drivers. I assume that means I don't have OpenGL. Whenever I try to install something for it, it just does nothing. Any ideas?
The solution is quite simple. In my case (Double ATI radeon HD 5700 + Windows 8 CP), I am download two different drivers from AMD Support & Drivers page: 1. - Catalyst Software Suite 12.2 for Win 7 64 2. - Catalyst Driver 8.93.7 RC10 for win 8 CP. I run first package and use it for uninstall...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook