Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Reason why the new UI annoys me

  1. #1

    Reason why the new UI annoys me


    At work, I have quite a number of computers at my work area. For a couple of things which I can only do with physical hardware, I use a KVM to have a single monitor, keyboard and mouse for all of these additional test systems.

    So, today, while on my Windows 8 desktop, I downloaded and installed the Remote Server Administration Toolkit (RSAT) for Windows 8. So, after it installed, and since I have a single monitor, I have to switch away from the desktop, flip over the Start Screen, find the 2 new tiles it created (Administrative Tools and Server Manager), move them to someplace usable (aside from the far right) or delete them entirely, and then fire it up.

    It seems much simpler before where i would install the app from the desktop, click on Start and 9 times out of 10 it would be in the list right near the bottom. Some say I'm just scared of change, but I don't think that's the case here. It's just not quick and efficient this way, period.

    And a quick cursory glance at metro within Windows 8 isn't going to tell anybody that Adminstrative Tools and Server Manager were installed as part of the RSAT toolkit. At least with the Program Group list in the old start menu, I would be able to quickly ascertain where something came from.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    I can see your point, everything was linked into the start menu.
    From my point of view, in Windows 8, it's all about the "all apps" area, which is (from desktop) > charms and 1 click (magnifying glass pic) to all apps, then you can pin almost anything to the taskbar. And the desktop is always instantly available from the hotspot in the top left corner. (or thumbnail - along left edge - if you have other apps running)


    Some may not get used to it. Bumping around the edges and charms to all apps and hot spots and thumbnails is something "else." After using the start menu since Windows 3, I like the change.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I'll steal a little of mdmd's thunder here. He posted this article lead on anothert thread: Why Windows 8 will change the world @ Mint Usability

    You may be especially interested in this section:

    Extra: Tech support just got easy

    Just think about all the mythical tech support gnomes who, even as you are reading this, are installing billion different applications to billion different computers. Well, with Windows 8, that whole scene will change radically: No longer will you have to remotely install/update/uninstall applications – Just find the application you need, point it to said Windows Accounts and you’re done. Time for beer for job well done.
    Hope that helps.

    BTW, I like your new sig. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....or not.
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 17 Sep 2012 at 17:55.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    It seems much simpler before where i would install the app from the desktop, click on Start and 9 times out of 10 it would be in the list right near the bottom. Some say I'm just scared of change, but I don't think that's the case here. It's just not quick and efficient this way, period.
    Huh? I can't recall the last time I installed something in Windows 7 where I click on Start and what I installed was right there, I'd say 1 out of 10 times maybe. What I have seen every time is going to Start and seeing a path of highlights to lead you to the installed application through the hierarchy which I find much more annoying to navigate (and why I haven't used it since Win7 was released). As far I'm concerned it's not much different experience because in Windows 7 after installing I have to go find the icon in the Start Menu and either PIN it to Start Menu or PIN it to Task Bar. It's actually better and faster in Windows 8 because I don't have to navigate that hierarchy, I just reposition that tile where I want it.

    Common theme though, everyone uses computers differently and find different things to be annoying. I could write a book on how annoying OSX is, I used my MacBook for maybe 2 months and it's been sitting on a shelf since and I've had it for at least 4 years now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I'll steal a little of mdmd's thunder here. He posted this article lead on anothert thread: Why Windows 8 will change the world @ Mint Usability
    Considering how this guy keeps going on about how great HTML5 is for everything, despite its lack if speed and language capability, I would give him no more credibility than I would give to any other hipster spouting nonsense. Also the fact that this idiot thinks that w8 can run xbox games....

    P.S.
    Tech support people who deploy applications exist in enterprise, a world where MS accounts don't exist, and Everyone has an AD account. Tech support people in the consumer market are like those apple "geniuses" in the lates round of ads.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Speaking of Start, with the menu after I installed something it usually meant to hunt down a folder in the list or sometimes the entry was in All Programs list. Sometimes it was highlighted, sometimes it wasn't for me. The with the Start Screen, after installing something, all the entries to it are a scroll right. Sometimes with a huge suite of programs, a lot gets put on the screen. Deleting them are just about the same as with the menu, as you just need to right click on them, then unpin. In the menu, you have click to get to All programs, right click and delete and confirm the deletion. Sometimes it hides the menu and you have to reopen it.

    Guess it's just what we find works better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Speaking of Start, with the menu after I installed something it usually meant to hunt down a folder in the list or sometimes the entry was in All Programs list.
    Yeah, apps in the All Programs list were really annoying to me. I think everything should have had a program group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The with the Start Screen, after installing something, all the entries to it are a scroll right. Sometimes with a huge suite of programs, a lot gets put on the screen.
    And with some programs, the tiles don't have a name which really indicates what they are for. So, if you forget to clean up the list immediately after install, you might find yourself scratching yourself at a later time trying to figure out what "Filter X for Y" belongs to, is it Photoshop, is it Visual Studio, was it the server admin tools, was it SQL server. With a program group, it was obvious what it was for.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Guess it's just what we find works better.
    That's right. For those who like Windows 8, i'm happy for them. If more people like it then dislike it, I'll be in the minority and sad that I cannot really come to terms with a few things. I however feel strongly that people will overwhelmingly demand change and things will improve or become a compromise in the next version of Windows.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Don't you find that most programs actually ask if you want to create a desktop icon, or pin to taskbar as part of the install process?

    If it 's something you want to acces frequently you have the chance to let it to do that.

    If you don't want to acces it frequently - then it goes in the all programs list.

    Works for me.


    I however feel strongly that people will overwhelmingly demand change and things will improve
    Yes, if they actually demand it.

    But if they shut up and put up with it , or force themselves because others keep telling them they are wrong or ( ludicrously ) "afraid" - then they won't get any improvements.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    People can tell me all day that I am afraid of change....but yet I'm not running on Windows 95. I'm on Windows 7 and evaluating and playing extensively with Windows 8. Doesn't seem like I am too bothered by change, just some of the changes make this new OS a real pain to actually try to work with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Of course there will be changes made. I'd like new program installs or apps to make their own separate block rather than latch onto the last group. Heck, maybe even label the new group while we're at it. But for now, I don't have a tremendous issue with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Reason why the new UI annoys me
Related Threads
Laptop too slow for some reason in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I just got a new laptop because my old one's hard drive crashed. For some reason, my laptop is really slow. I got it on December, 5, 2014. Please help explain why it's so slow! Look at the specs! It shouldn't be this slow
BSOD without any reason in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Every 2-3 weeks I have BSOD always when I'm away from my PC. It never generated dump file and nothing is in the event log. Today it finally happened in front of my eyes and it says "dpc watchdog violation" and it also created dump file. In the dump file I saw only the reason as “ntoskrnl.exe...
I was just sitting here watching Netflix on my pc with the windows netflix app, and have done countless of times before when all of a sudden the PC restarts itself no error nothing, looked for logs in event viewer nothing but one saying the shutdown was unexpected, I looked for mini dump nothing...
Seattle dive bar becomes first to ban Google Glass | Internet & Media - CNET News
Upgrade from 7 Fails for no reason in Installation & Setup
My Win 8 Pro upgrade is failing for no reason. Downloaded just fine, key works, goes through all the reboots, updates, etc. but at the very end I get a pop-up saying the installation has failed. No reason, code or anything else. Also tried with creating physical media. The only thing that...
What annoys you? [2] in Chillout Room
Over cooked humans too.
What annoys you? in Chillout Room
This is the annoyances thread. Offer your angles on what really annoys you. Please don't offer any derogatory comments regarding any member of the forum. This is mine - TROLLS
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook