Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Do you want Aero?

  1. #131


    United States
    Posts : 650
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS


    Quote Originally Posted by thenerdal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kizo2703 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thenerdal View Post
    Aero is nice, but I like the new theme on Windows 8. Simple, yet nice.
    What is nice here?!

    And it doesn't matter what color is default!
    Guess it's just me. I kinda got bored of Aero. I liked that this theme is new, so I guess that's why I like it. The thing about Windows is that the themes on the internet are ugly so I kept the original one and guess I got bored of it.
    I am the same.
    I keep the Windows 7 theme and wait until the next OS to change. (With the exception of WindowsBlinds, I use sometimes. )
    People tell me I just don't care what Microsoft does, but I do. I'm no fanboy, really. Only I normally don't care how my PC looks, except the Start Screen.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #132


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    Yeah, taking away the users' choice for how the system looks is literally my BIGGEST gripe.
    I'm sure WindowBlinds will add it back, or some other third party theme. Remember, themes in windows are pluggable. You can replace it with others. The reasons behind removing it were likely due to the increased strain on the GPU and battery life for phones and tablets. The default has to work well across a broad variety of devices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    On tablets and low powered stuff, most of those run on ARM (Windows RT) anyways and therefore don't have a real desktop mode to begin with. I don't see how having Aero as an option would hurt the OS in any way shape or form...
    RT tablets have a desktop. What are you talking about? It comes with Office, a desktop app.
    One program doesn't make desktop mode really count for much. Still, removing transparency and blur does not save THAT much power. The fact it's still GPU accelerated and composited means it's already requiring GPU resources to start with. All the animations going on in the start screen would already be using the battery power that Aero normally would have. That said, I didn't say this couldn't be the default, what I was saying is "why do they have to take away our CHOICE to use the Aero theme instead of this ugly default one when we're on plugged in machines that are more than capable of displaying Windows 7's Aero look?"

    I don't know if Windowblinds can add it back properly. DWM has been hardcoded in Windows 8 to ignore any attempts to enable transparency or blur. Microsoft went out of their way to ENSURE that NO ONE would be able to bring back Aero, it's as if they purposefully want EVERYONE to go without. Windowblinds would have to literally replace the borders altogether and then it becomes non-compatible with certain programs (especially ones that draw special stuff on the titlebar, like office), which causes uniformity issues, and it would also be less efficient because they cannot use Microsoft's built-in API to skin the bars, instead they'd have to put something on top of what already exists, just like back in windows 2000. And if anyone remembers windowblinds back then, it was really clunky, buggy, and horrible on resources because it was using its own system to replace the drawing methods of the original windows UI. XP to 7 they used the built-in API to reskin things, so it was more efficient. Now they can't do that if they wanna add back transparency/blur.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #133


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8 Pro


    Why is this even a thread? Who cares how the windows border looks? I don't mind either way, but I prefer 8 - I like the solid blocky look.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #134


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Why is this even a thread? Who cares how the windows border looks? I don't mind either way, but I prefer 8 - I like the solid blocky look.
    Uh a lot of people care about how things look, especially things we may be looking at half the day every day. Same reason people prefer a nice looking car over a butt-ugly one. Looks are part of our lives and we enjoy things looking nice. Flat solid blocky look is chilidish, plain, ugly, and it's a throwback to the days when hardware wasn't capable of rendering better. MS is basically telling us our desktops and laptops don't matter and that we all must pretend we're using a low power tablet and purposefully removing any choice or options that we've used to ALWAYS have in windows.

    It literally would have taken hardly any extra code to have a checkbox in the Personalization panel to 'use transparency/blur effects', and to add the traditional Aero theme as a choice in there in addition to the default flat look. It would not have hurt AT ALL for them to have that in as a choice. The reason it's not a choice, is because Microsoft went far out of their way to make sure we don't have that choice. "You must do things our way or no way at all" kinda thinking they decided to borrow from Apple.

    The thread exists, not to mention with several pages, so people obviously care. If you don't care, why did you post here?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #135


    Posts : 76
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Why is this even a thread? Who cares how the windows border looks? I don't mind either way, but I prefer 8 - I like the solid blocky look.
    Yes because you prefer the non-Aero look, there definitely shouldn't be a thread to discuss whether ppl want Aero or not. How exactly is that little world of me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #136


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Why is this even a thread? Who cares how the windows border looks? I don't mind either way, but I prefer 8 - I like the solid blocky look.
    Uh a lot of people care about how things look, especially things we may be looking at half the day every day. Same reason people prefer a nice looking car over a butt-ugly one. Looks are part of our lives and we enjoy things looking nice. Flat solid blocky look is chilidish, plain, ugly, and it's a throwback to the days when hardware wasn't capable of rendering better. MS is basically telling us our desktops and laptops don't matter and that we all must pretend we're using a low power tablet and purposefully removing any choice or options that we've used to ALWAYS have in windows.

    It literally would have taken hardly any extra code to have a checkbox in the Personalization panel to 'use transparency/blur effects', and to add the traditional Aero theme as a choice in there in addition to the default flat look. It would not have hurt AT ALL for them to have that in as a choice. The reason it's not a choice, is because Microsoft went far out of their way to make sure we don't have that choice. "You must do things our way or no way at all" kinda thinking they decided to borrow from Apple.

    The thread exists, not to mention with several pages, so people obviously care. If you don't care, why did you post here?
    Are you doing work all day or moaning about how the "x" button looked better in 7? Its good that Microsoft got rid of Aero. Its redundant now. Nothing you say will change that and Microsoft won't be bringing it back. This is a tablet OS first and foremost.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #137


    Posts : 149
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Why is this even a thread? Who cares how the windows border looks? I don't mind either way, but I prefer 8 - I like the solid blocky look.
    Uh a lot of people care about how things look, especially things we may be looking at half the day every day. Same reason people prefer a nice looking car over a butt-ugly one. Looks are part of our lives and we enjoy things looking nice. Flat solid blocky look is chilidish, plain, ugly, and it's a throwback to the days when hardware wasn't capable of rendering better. MS is basically telling us our desktops and laptops don't matter and that we all must pretend we're using a low power tablet and purposefully removing any choice or options that we've used to ALWAYS have in windows.

    It literally would have taken hardly any extra code to have a checkbox in the Personalization panel to 'use transparency/blur effects', and to add the traditional Aero theme as a choice in there in addition to the default flat look. It would not have hurt AT ALL for them to have that in as a choice. The reason it's not a choice, is because Microsoft went far out of their way to make sure we don't have that choice. "You must do things our way or no way at all" kinda thinking they decided to borrow from Apple.

    The thread exists, not to mention with several pages, so people obviously care. If you don't care, why did you post here?
    Are you doing work all day or moaning about how the "x" button looked better in 7? Its good that Microsoft got rid of Aero. Its redundant now. Nothing you say will change that and Microsoft won't be bringing it back. This is a tablet OS first and foremost.
    Wow, way to act like a total jerk. Yes, to answer your question, I do care. I do care a lot that my X button looks like CRAP in Windows 8. That my borders look flat and uninteresting. That there's not even a shade of detail on any parts of this new UI. Why are you glad they got rid of the OPTION to have it look the way we want? Are you a fascist? Do you WANT to force EVERYONE to LIKE what YOU want us to like?

    Microsoft clearly wants to force us to use this like a tablet. However, it is STILL the newest edition of windows for desktops and laptops as well. We won't be able to use Windows 7 forever, as support for it dwindles after 5-10 years, or when new hardware comes out that only Windows 8 will support. It's still also a desktop OS, even if it doesn't act like one.

    Go away, you're not helping. You're not being nice. You're just being rude and imposing your opinion as fact on all of us. Just GO AWAY.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #138


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post

    Uh a lot of people care about how things look, especially things we may be looking at half the day every day. Same reason people prefer a nice looking car over a butt-ugly one. Looks are part of our lives and we enjoy things looking nice. Flat solid blocky look is chilidish, plain, ugly, and it's a throwback to the days when hardware wasn't capable of rendering better. MS is basically telling us our desktops and laptops don't matter and that we all must pretend we're using a low power tablet and purposefully removing any choice or options that we've used to ALWAYS have in windows.

    It literally would have taken hardly any extra code to have a checkbox in the Personalization panel to 'use transparency/blur effects', and to add the traditional Aero theme as a choice in there in addition to the default flat look. It would not have hurt AT ALL for them to have that in as a choice. The reason it's not a choice, is because Microsoft went far out of their way to make sure we don't have that choice. "You must do things our way or no way at all" kinda thinking they decided to borrow from Apple.

    The thread exists, not to mention with several pages, so people obviously care. If you don't care, why did you post here?
    Are you doing work all day or moaning about how the "x" button looked better in 7? Its good that Microsoft got rid of Aero. Its redundant now. Nothing you say will change that and Microsoft won't be bringing it back. This is a tablet OS first and foremost.
    Wow, way to act like a total jerk. Yes, to answer your question, I do care. I do care a lot that my X button looks like CRAP in Windows 8. That my borders look flat and uninteresting. That there's not even a shade of detail on any parts of this new UI. Why are you glad they got rid of the OPTION to have it look the way we want? Are you a fascist? Do you WANT to force EVERYONE to LIKE what YOU want us to like?

    Microsoft clearly wants to force us to use this like a tablet. However, it is STILL the newest edition of windows for desktops and laptops as well. We won't be able to use Windows 7 forever, as support for it dwindles after 5-10 years, or when new hardware comes out that only Windows 8 will support. It's still also a desktop OS, even if it doesn't act like one.

    Go away, you're not helping. You're not being nice. You're just being rude and imposing your opinion as fact on all of us. Just GO AWAY.
    So now you see? Moaning does nothing. Aero is gone. Permanently. Have all the hissy fits you want. Its not coming back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #139


    United States
    Posts : 650
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS


    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy8 View Post
    Why is this even a thread? Who cares how the windows border looks? I don't mind either way, but I prefer 8 - I like the solid blocky look.
    Uh a lot of people care about how things look, especially things we may be looking at half the day every day. Same reason people prefer a nice looking car over a butt-ugly one. Looks are part of our lives and we enjoy things looking nice. Flat solid blocky look is chilidish, plain, ugly, and it's a throwback to the days when hardware wasn't capable of rendering better. MS is basically telling us our desktops and laptops don't matter and that we all must pretend we're using a low power tablet and purposefully removing any choice or options that we've used to ALWAYS have in windows.

    It literally would have taken hardly any extra code to have a checkbox in the Personalization panel to 'use transparency/blur effects', and to add the traditional Aero theme as a choice in there in addition to the default flat look. It would not have hurt AT ALL for them to have that in as a choice. The reason it's not a choice, is because Microsoft went far out of their way to make sure we don't have that choice. "You must do things our way or no way at all" kinda thinking they decided to borrow from Apple.

    The thread exists, not to mention with several pages, so people obviously care. If you don't care, why did you post here?
    Are you doing work all day or moaning about how the "x" button looked better in 7? Its good that Microsoft got rid of Aero. Its redundant now. Nothing you say will change that and Microsoft won't be bringing it back. This is a tablet OS first and foremost.
    ivy8, this thread was created by me because I'd like to know the opinion of the members of Eight Forums. I didn't care for aero myself, but an OS if for a good 1-6 years. It normally isn't that MS goes and says "Lets use SP1 to change the look!", it is more about a user's opinion and me as a long-time Windows user think Metro deserves the name of Windows just as much as Aero did. I love the new look, but I care about other's opinions. We knew in September that aero was gone, when the thread started, but please, this is for the community.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #140


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    I'll be replacing it as soon as there's a decent app to do so.

    I want MY machine to look and behave the way I want it to.

    Not Microsoft. And not you (generic 'you', no fingers pointed).

    I have power to spare and more to run Aero, so it should be
    MY choice.

    As it was my choice to replace the Start button, Quick-Launch
    toolbar and desktop gadgets.

    Why is there such an issue about giving people CHOICE?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Do you want Aero?
Related Threads
Is aero still alive ? in Customization
I killed aero everywhere & still have this blue crap .. . http://s15.postimg.org/slhgdvrdz/image.jpg How could I get rid of it ?
So i downloaded Aero Glass for windows 8.1 from this site Aero Glass for Windows 8 But in the middle of the install i got this error 52322 So i pressed retry a couple of times but it didnt work so i pressed cancel. Now it looks like this 52323, i like it but its not Aero Glass. Is there any way to...
aero in windows 8 pro in Installation & Setup
hi i have upgraded to windows 8 from windows 7 after clean install, and i have got aero on the task bar, and cant find where to turn it off , normally i could turn it on or off in personalise, but its not there any more, any ideas how to turn it off, thanks.
Aero isn't gone. in General Support
Stardock Stardock might be able to restore aero fully, but for now we have a registry hack. Registry Hack You can change the registry files and make a "glitch aero". ~Photo Soon!~ Thanks Friends! Add what you like, and your predictions on a future 3rd party aero and if Microsoft will...
Aero is Gone. For good. in General Support
Aero has disappeared in the newest RTM edition. Release Preview still supports it, but not any sign of a return.
Where's Aero? in General Support
I looked for Aero in the Help section and it said there are no results. Does the Win 8 Preview have Aero?
Solved Aero feature in Customization
Hi, My Aero feature does look more like Windows Basic theme, is there any way I can improve this? Thanks. My graphics in the laptop is 950GMA, but it looks awful as well in my desktop which has a Nvidia dedicated graphics.3544
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook