Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Create a shortcut to the real shutdown dialog box

  1. #11


    Win+R is a keyboard shortcut. Not a desktop shortcut you can click with a mouse. What if some poeple want something visible to click on? Or if they have finger disabilities which rpevent them to use a keyboard (but not a mouse)?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 15
    Win7 Ultimate and trial Win8


    What is the big deal about shutting down or restarting your computer? When was the last time you restarted your phone "just because"? If the system is stable, then there is no need. IPads do not need shutting down. They go to sleep.
    The keyboard shortcut to the power button is windows+i, not +r. The touch method is to bring up the charms bar on the right side, then click the power button. Simple.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Or a tablet with no keyboard. Don't take that the wrong way, keyboard shortcuts are nice I use them all the time. Its just that the way things are going with all these "smart" devices, you may not have a physical keyboard. in that case I'll take a tile or Icon I can click any day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 354
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Win+R is a keyboard shortcut. Not a desktop shortcut you can click with a mouse. What if some poeple want something visible to click on? Or if they have finger disabilities which rpevent them to use a keyboard (but not a mouse)?
    I'm just pointing out that this is a fairly quick way to shutdown or reboot your PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by ebradley View Post
    The keyboard shortcut to the power button is windows+i, not +r. The touch method is to bring up the charms bar on the right side, then click the power button. Simple.
    I know what WIN+I and WIN+R do. Please see my comments above. WIN+R -> shutdown /s /t 0 or shutdown /r /t 0 is quicker than going to the power button via the settings charm.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 15
    Win7 Ultimate and trial Win8


    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Win+R is a keyboard shortcut. Not a desktop shortcut you can click with a mouse. What if some poeple want something visible to click on? Or if they have finger disabilities which rpevent them to use a keyboard (but not a mouse)?
    I'm just pointing out that this is a fairly quick way to shutdown or reboot your PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by ebradley View Post
    The keyboard shortcut to the power button is windows+i, not +r. The touch method is to bring up the charms bar on the right side, then click the power button. Simple.
    I know what WIN+I and WIN+R do. Please see my comments above. WIN+R -> shutdown /s /t 0 or shutdown /r /t 0 is quicker than going to the power button via the settings charm.
    Just pointing this out, win+r on my laptop brings up the run dialog box, not a shutdown prompt. The charms bar seems like it would be simpler to swipe to open, then touch the power button. (of course I am not challenged in the way you speak of, so I have no real way of testing other methods)

    But my question remains, why is so imperative to shutdown?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Some people, like me, turn their PC off when they are not using it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 354
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V


    Quote Originally Posted by ebradley View Post
    Just pointing this out, win+r on my laptop brings up the run dialog box, not a shutdown prompt. The charms bar seems like it would be simpler to swipe to open, then touch the power button. (of course I am not challenged in the way you speak of, so I have no real way of testing other methods)
    The run dialogue is a powerful tool. For most tasks, provided you know the command, it's faster than launching it from a menu. For example, WIN+R -> ncpa.cpl will bring up your network connections. Much quicker than going into the control panel. The same for shutdowns, reboots, getting to the command prompt, etc.

    But my question remains, why is so imperative to shutdown?
    That's a pretty good question. I generally only shutdown when my laptop isn't going to be used for quite some time (I don't think my wife ever actually shuts hers off).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 15
    Win7 Ultimate and trial Win8


    Gentlemen, I agree that the run cmd is a powerful tool, for those that know how to use it. The IT pros and powerusers. The average consumer does not understand the run cmd (that they will admit). The run dialog does not need to be suggested to the average user, the swipes need to be demonstrated instead. My reasoning for this is because they will think, " what else can this do, google search, and could brick their machine because of an errant keystroke. I am referring to the average consumer.

    I am not trying to argue against anyone's point because they are extremely valid. I am looking at it from a user's POV. (especially my wife ..... sigh)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    The easiest way to shutdown your PC is to press the power button, just like on a phone or tablet. simple, one press, boom.. it's done.

    The only argument people have against this is some people say they can't easily access their power button, to which my reply is.. then how do you turn it back on?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    I'm a bit confused about this thread - and people in here..

    I posted a way to get a normal shutdown menu, like the one known from earlier - because i like to use it, and wanted to share with people who might want something similar.

    This pointless debat, over other ways that have been known for ages, 3. party apps that change the system, to bring functions - and even a why i want to shut down my pc, when you dont have to shut down a phone or a tablet.. come on now!

    Can't ppl just accept that there are different types of users, different needs - and then just contribute if you actually bring something new - and not just lame comments and useless opinions about why everyone is doing everything wrong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Create a shortcut to the real shutdown dialog box
Related Threads
I created a shortcut of shutdown.exe and placed it on the desktop. It doesn't work. Is there another way to do this?
Am "using new HP laptop 2000-2d27dx Windows 8.1. Only way I shutdown or restart is going to "charms" panel - Settings - then click Power off icon and choose Sleep, Shutdown or Restart. Is there a way to put a SHORTCUT for Shutdown and Restart on the desktop and/or the Start screen?
Cant Create Users... need help real bad... in User Accounts and Family Safety
Im running windows 8, and i have encountered a problem that i can seem to fix. my problem is that i cant get any other user i create in windows to display in the user select screen. in control pannel in the user options it shows that i have created multiple users, but for some reason i can...
How can I create a simple shortcut to a WEB page? Pretty easy in Win 7. Copy the URL, right click desktop, select new, shortcut, etc... but where is that EASE of use in Win 8? Thanks
How to Create a "Run" Command Dialog Box Shortcut in Windows 8 This tutorial will show how to create or download a Run shortcut that opens directly to the Run command dialog box on your desktop in Windows 8. The default keyboard shortcut to open the "Run" command dialog box is: Windows + R ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook