Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can you PreOrder Windows 8?

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    It appears that I need the DVD to do a clean install in a separate partition (according to Windows Secrets) so getting the DVD saves a little bit of work.
    Wait... what? You need the DVD to do a clean install? I can't buy the upgrade online and put it on a USB stick to do a clean install?
    We were able to do that in the past. I did it with Vista upgrading from Home Premium to Ultimate, which really wasn't an option. Not exactly honest, but a cheaper work around. MS new that was possible and the savvy would pull it off. I think MS has put a kabbash on that now.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 40
    Windows 8.1 Update 2 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    We were able to do that in the past. I did it with Vista upgrading from Home Premium to Ultimate, which really wasn't an option. Not exactly honest, but a cheaper work around. MS new that was possible and the savvy would pull it off. I think MS has put a kabbash on that now.
    I hope this isn't so because I don't buy physical products anymore (well... music, movies, books, software, etc.) as I prefer digital copies. Reduces space and waste.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    We were able to do that in the past. I did it with Vista upgrading from Home Premium to Ultimate, which really wasn't an option. Not exactly honest, but a cheaper work around. MS new that was possible and the savvy would pull it off. I think MS has put a kabbash on that now.
    I hope this isn't so because I don't buy physical products anymore (well... music, movies, books, software, etc.) as I prefer digital copies. Reduces space and waste.
    My profile flag will say otherwise for now, for I'm in WI working for the summer, but as a fellow Illinoiser I think we'll have to face that fact. Sorry

    BTW, welcome to EF. It's good to have you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 40
    Windows 8.1 Update 2 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    My profile flag will say otherwise for now, for I'm in WI working for the summer, but as a fellow Illinoiser I think we'll have to face that fact. Sorry

    BTW, welcome to EF. It's good to have you.
    Thanks. I actually grew up in Wisconsin, though I now live near Chicago.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Its not related to a clean install, you should be able to do that with the web-based method. I want to do an install on a separate partition for dual boot.

    According to Windows Secrets, page 52 "Assuming you have a Windows 7 install up and running already, you must use a media-based Setup to install Windows 8 after booting the PC from that disk or USB flash drive. That is, you cannot use the web-based installer"

    I would guess that if the partition you want to use for Windows 8 already has a validated Windows installation you should be able to use the upgrade version of Windows 8. As I understand it the software is the same its just the Key that is different but I may be wrong here. In any case its clear from the book that you need to use media not the web.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    My profile flag will say otherwise for now, for I'm in WI working for the summer, but as a fellow Illinoiser I think we'll have to face that fact. Sorry

    BTW, welcome to EF. It's good to have you.
    Thanks. I actually grew up in Wisconsin, though I now live near Chicago.
    LOL! How ironic!

    I'm from McHenry working in Mercer. You?

    I would guess that if the partition you want to use for Windows 8 already has a validated Windows installation you should be able to use the upgrade version of Windows 8. As I understand it the software is the same its just the Key that is different but I may be wrong here. In any case its clear from the book that you need to use media not the web.
    There could be some "Geek" work around, but I doubt it, CalBear. MS is getting pretty strict on software. Gates has always been a stickler on this from the getgo. Now we have the Hollywood thing going on and rightfully so. No one likes things to be stolen from them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    It appears that I need the DVD to do a clean install in a separate partition (according to Windows Secrets) so getting the DVD saves a little bit of work.
    Wait... what? You need the DVD to do a clean install? I can't buy the upgrade online and put it on a USB stick to do a clean install?
    I downloaded the RTM to my desktop, then copyed it to a DVD and did a clean install. Actually instead of downloading to the desktop and do a copy/past to a DVD I'm sure you can simply download to the DVD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
    It appears that I need the DVD to do a clean install in a separate partition (according to Windows Secrets) so getting the DVD saves a little bit of work.
    Wait... what? You need the DVD to do a clean install? I can't buy the upgrade online and put it on a USB stick to do a clean install?
    I downloaded the RTM to my desktop, then copyed it to a DVD and did a clean install. Actually instead of downloading to the desktop and do a copy/past to a DVD I'm sure you can simply download to the DVD.
    Thanks for the info, Frank, but I think he's talking about using the final release "upgrade" media to do a cold install, which I think MS put the kabbash on.

    BTW, you did this via the ISO burn process, correct?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post

    Wait... what? You need the DVD to do a clean install? I can't buy the upgrade online and put it on a USB stick to do a clean install?
    I downloaded the RTM to my desktop, then copyed it to a DVD and did a clean install. Actually instead of downloading to the desktop and do a copy/past to a DVD I'm sure you can simply download to the DVD.
    Thanks for the info, Frank, but I think he's talking about using the final release "upgrade" media to do a cold install, which I think MS put the kabbash on.

    BTW, you did this via the ISO burn process, correct?
    To be perfectly honest, I don't remember exactly how I did it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Lol! I have a good memory, too. Truoble is, it's too short!

    This is a nice, clean, and helpful forum as you stated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Can you PreOrder Windows 8?
Related Threads
Read more at source: Windows 8: Ready, set, preorder | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: Prices and packaging for Windows 8 go public | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook