Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only

  1. #71


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Nice read -- thanks for the links

    I'm sure everybody knows that there has to be some difference between using a "Tablet" / smartphone compared with serious use on a "Real classic computer" where the traditional desktop is still absolutely needed.

    Windows 9 will undoubtedly solve this problem -- as in a few years companies who are just beginning to upgrade from XP==> W7 will be looking for their next upgrade. We do need to have some sort of choice -- Desktop / Metro / "Dogs legs mix of the 2" .

    However for CONSUMERS W8 can be OK -- needs some messing around with to get it to work sensibly. I know people like Coke Robot probably use full screen apps all the time so Metro is a no brainer in his case -- but a lot of us work totally different -- we DO need a WINDOWED desktop - with multi monitor support etc.

    I can honestly say that at the present time I don't know of a SINGLE large company who is even THINKING of upgrading their computers to W8. (Another reason Ms needs to make a distinction between home "Hobbyists" and Enterprise work users).

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    Taken literally, context menu means a context sensitive menu. In modern usage, it is often considered to refer to the specific user control that pops up near the mouse on a right click.
    Ahh ... so you have to have the last word in this thread, eh? OK ... you did start the thread. You just re-stated what I already said!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    When a person, with say 10+ years experience with Windows, sits down at the start screen they are faced with a bunch of tiles. I haven't found a single person YET, who natively knows to simply start typing to find an app (like the control panel). So, after a few seconds of scanning the tiles, they find Desktop. They click on it. It takes them to the "classic desktop". So, now they are over there, without a start button. Some people struggle trying to figure out how to get back to the tiles. Almost everybody I have seen use the OS without a tutorial gets stuck in the desktop. Sure, the Windows key on their keyboard "could" do it, but many don't use this key. And many don't drive the cursor to the extreme corners, the hot corners don't come up.

    So, once you know a few tricks, getting to the control panel IS quite easy. But no doubt many might be confused at first and get frustrated with this new OS.
    You most certainly NEED TO KNOW a few tricks.

    Its a bit of awkward feeling I get when somebody says "Why do you need to learn W8 to use it??".

    My question is, if you haven't learned playing guitar, you can't expect somebody to just pick up the instrument and start playing it perfectly, can you??? Why go to guitar, lets take an example of any program in our pc. I don't know how to use Photoshop. Can you expect me to just install a Photoshop suite and start using it from the word go without any trouble?? I don't know programming in C++, can you expect me to just open an IDE and start coding??? This is childish!!!!

    Can this be a point that if someone hasn't read any small tutorial or guide on Windows 8, he/she has to fumble a bit to go to control panel?? I mean this is once in a life, isn't it? Once you know how 8 functions you can find any app out, not just Control Panel.

    Just because users will need to take 30 mins to get used to the new changes, Microsoft shouldn't be creative and they don't have the right to make changes in their OS like they have?? If they do make changes, for people like Jon Honeyball that becomes a car crash??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    My question is, if you haven't learned playing guitar, you can't expect somebody to just pick up the instrument and start playing it perfectly, can you???
    But take a person who has played guitar for 10+ years. Now, rearrange all of the guitar strings and put them in a different order. So, when they try to play the guitar and struggle and complain...just assure them that they are "afraid of change". If there weren't complains or concerns, I would be convinced that they weren't really a guitar player in the first place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    But take a person who has played guitar for 10+ years. Now, rearrange all of the guitar strings and put them in a different order. So, when they try to play the guitar and struggle and complain...just assure them that they are "afraid of change". If there weren't complains or concerns, I would be convinced that they weren't really a guitar player in the first place.
    Control Panel isn't called Action Centre in Windows 8 and vice versa.

    The strings haven't been rearranged. All the strings in the guitar are same as they were (Desktop). Only some extra strings are added (Metro or whatever they call it now) which you need to learn.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    The strings haven't been rearranged. All the strings in the guitar are same as they were (Desktop). Only some extra strings are added (Metro or whatever they call it now) which you need to learn.
    But instead of the strings being made optional and put at one end of the other, they are placed in the center and people are being forced to use them. I'm just saying that I understand the concerns and the complaining, not necessarily that I agree or disagree with them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    First off, it's simply not fair to present any OS to anyone without some instruction. There is a minor tutorial on hot corners when one is installing 8. I'm sure MS will further this in final releases, like "What's New" or "Let's Get Started" as in past OSs.

    F1 has been around since I don't know when. Do enterprise IT teams know that? How about anyone that works in enterprise? Anyone that knows Windows and has half a brain knows that opens the Help file. If it was the very first time one turned on a computer that had a Windows OS installed, that would be a different story. I hate to be so blunt, but I'm sick and tired of reading the excuse that 8 is evil because of the learning curve. It may take a little longer to leasrn 8, but not impossible. Enterprise may fear it's cost for training, but 8 is a change just like any OS. Everything in the universe changes. It's a scientifically proven constant in Spacetime.

    As soon as I type the period at the end of this sentance everything will have changed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    First off, it's simply not fair to present any OS to anyone without some instruction.
    Understood. But in the past, we have been able to rely on the fact that there is some type of Start menu system in the lower left corner. It's been that way since Windows 95. And some people really would like to keep it that way, but don't have a choice..so there are complaints. These complaints seem reasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    There is a minor tutorial on hot corners when one is installing 8. I'm sure MS will further this in final releases, like "What's New" or "Let's Get Started" as in past OSs.
    Yes, that video change in the RTM was the best change I had seen in a while. But it could really be a lot longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    F1 has been around since I don't know when. Do enterprise IT teams know that? How about anyone that works in enterprise? Anyone that knows Windows and has half a brain knows that opens the Help file. If it was the very first time one turned on a computer that had a Windows OS installed, that would be a different story. I hate to be so blunt, but I'm sick and tired of reading the excuse that 8 is evil because of the learning curve. It may take a little longer to leasrn 8, but not impossible. Enterprise may fear it's cost for training, but 8 is a change just like any OS. Everything in the universe changes. It's a scientifically proven constant in Spacetime.
    Yes, we know that F1 exists.

    So, new user installs OS, gets to desktop. Cannot figure out how to get back to Start screen. They hit the F1 key and get the help. What do they search on, because I've searched for "how to get back to start screen", "where is the start button", and I can't find anything helpful.

    The cost to a business or enterprise for these types of changes will be significant. Documentation needs to be rewritten and updated for all of these visual changes, title changes and location changes. Many people who work with computers aren't enthusiasts or tech nerds. I believe you are oversimplifying greatly the costs of this training and the # of manhours this will actually take.

    ^However, I think the above is a moot point because most businesses are not going to go to Windows 8. They will stay on Vista or 7 and XP. This will alleviate them from having to build new desktop OS images, prevent them from having to test and support Windows updates on Windows 8, prevent additional expense from licensing of Windows 8, etc. 8 simply doesn't provide them with anything advantageous over 7 to get them to deal with an upgrade. If nothing else, it just presents more problems and confusion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    I can agree that 8 may not provide businesses anything advantageous over 7 but that certainly doesn't mean 8 is bad or car crash. Its a good os. Businesses might not feel 8 worth upgrading. Thats fine. But does this make 8 bad?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    I can agree that 8 may not provide businesses anything advantageous over 7 but that certainly doesn't mean 8 is bad or car crash. Its a good os. Businesses might not feel 8 worth upgrading. Thats fine. But does this make 8 bad?
    Bad in these cases is purely subjective. From a functional standpoint, it's a fine OS. Runs good, good on system resources, and faster than previous versions of Windows in many respects. But if people don't want to use it, perhaps because they hate the new UI, or not having a start button...or not wanting to flip back and forth from the desktop to the new Start Screen....they will say it's bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only
Related Threads
Hey guys! I recently switched over to a dell XPS15 Early 2014 and it's fantastic. I'm just having one issue with the touch screen and chrome. When I "click" on small links using the touch screen, chrome will show a zoomed in version of the link. I'm assuming this is intended to allow me to...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
I tried Windows 8 of my desktop from my tablet using Splashtop Streamer. I couldn't get the touch-swipe to work, I'm only able to move the cursor. Is there a checkbox I'm supposed to check to get touch to work from a remote tablet?
When I play a game that changes my resolution and then leave the game, the Start interface is still at the games resolution. I have manually changed the resolutions to see if it would changed back but it is still stuck. The only way that I've found to change it back is to log off then back on. ...
Read more at: Microsoft: “Metro” out, “Windows 8-style UI” in, amid rumors of a trademark dispute | Ars Technica
To all those who keep on spouting the talking point that "touch" is the future of computing... In fact is clearly is NOT. At least for the next half century is isn't. As far as we can tell NOTHING is more efficient than the traditional keyboard and mouse for entering data, it is indisputable. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook