Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only

  1. #41


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    Metro is designed SOLELY for touch.
    I suggest you read this article Make great Metro style apps and pay particular attention to the part that says: Designed for touch Metro style apps are designed to be touch first. They leverage the hands and fingers for what they are great at, with comfort and ergonomics in mind.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    The idea of fingering a screen, especially a vertical screen is ridiculous. (My arm is too heavy to lift) All this twisting of the fingers with swiping and rotations is quite preposterous if the suggested use is a desktop. With current technology, tablets are a totally inadequate replacement for desktops. The developer presentation in the video and what they propose is unrealistic as an application for desktops. I think their goal is for metro tablet app development. They support a version of Windows 8 on tablets. The problem with your argument, from my point of view, is that they designed Windows 8 metro SOLELY for touch and the mouse as a "poor" substitute. My view is that the mouse is a far superior and effective device to manage all of Windows 8 than fingering an LCD screen. As another issue was discussed elsewhere, 8 is a combined system, a dual platform, which equally shares the functions of touch and the mouse.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    The idea of fingering a screen, especially a vertical screen is ridiculous. (My arm is too heavy to lift) All this twisting of the fingers with swiping and rotations is quite preposterous if the suggested use is a desktop. With current technology, tablets are a totally inadequate replacement for desktops. The developer presentation in the video and what they propose is unrealistic as an application for desktops. I think their goal is for metro tablet app development. They support a version of Windows 8 on tablets. The problem with your argument, from my point of view, is that they designed Windows 8 metro SOLELY for touch and the mouse as a "poor" substitute. My view is that the mouse is a far superior and effective device to manage all of Windows 8 than fingering an LCD screen. As another issue was discussed elsewhere, 8 is a combined system, a dual platform, which equally shares the functions of touch and the mouse.
    You can argue that mouse might ALWAYS be better than touch, even on a UX designed for touch. That does not change the fact that metro is designed SOLELY for touch. Did you read the MS document I posted?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Now you have changed your argument from "metro is for touch only" to "metro is designed SOLELY for touch."
    Their talking points may be "all about" touch, that is because metro is basically a phone / tablet UI. Windows 8 for personal computers is a more complex system. Metro apps are designed for touch, but NOT touch only. The presentation in their document never states that touch is better than the mouse or that metro is SOLELY for touch. (touch first < not equal to > SOLELY)
    Metro cannot be SOLELY for touch. It would be unusable.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Now you have changed your argument from "metro is for touch only" to "metro is designed SOLELY for touch."
    What's the difference? I think it's a given that metro is usable(barely) on mouse, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a touch only OS. You can also use winXP on a touchscreen(though it will be very painful), but I think we all agree that XP is a mouse/KB only OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    There you go again ! > "barely" It is eminently easy to use with a mouse, > effortless. One can flip from metro app, to desktop, start screen, to all apps, to thumbnails, and back to desktop in milliseconds.

    The difference is "metro is for touch only" to "metro is designed SOLELY for touch."
    It is not designed SOLELY for touch. Their talking points emphasize "touch first" but that is semantics. (fancy wording)
    (touch first < not equal to > SOLELY)
    Metro would be unusable on a NON-touch PC.

    Not touch only.

    Last edited by mdmd; 03 Sep 2012 at 16:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    There you go again ! > "barely" It is eminently easy to use with a mouse, > effortless. One can flip from metro app, to desktop, start screen, to all apps, to thumbnails, and back to desktop in milliseconds. The difference is "metro is for touch only" to "metro is designed SOLELY for touch." It is not designed SOLELY for touch. Their talking points emphasize "touch first" but that is semantics. (fancy wording) Metro would be unusable on a NON-touch PC. Not touch only.
    "touch first" means that the US was designed with only touch in mind. Yes, there is mouse compatibility, but again, I can use Windows XP with a touchscreen too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    I love this. That's cool. True. "only touch in mind" Yep. Ok. thanks...good discussion
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I love this. That's cool. True. "only touch in mind" Yep. Ok. thanks...good discussion
    Whatever. You have the right to think whatever you want, even if it's not correct.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    LOL.

    Phailyoor.

    Jon Honeyball - perhaps the most respected It jounalist in the UK has this to say:

    This is the first release of Windows in 20 years that leaves me cold. On the touch side, it's too little, too late. On the desktop side, it's a car crash. To be blunt, I hope it bombs. Microsoft deserves a bloody nose for this, and the lessons learned should make it redouble and refocus for Windows 9.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only
Related Threads
Hey guys! I recently switched over to a dell XPS15 Early 2014 and it's fantastic. I'm just having one issue with the touch screen and chrome. When I "click" on small links using the touch screen, chrome will show a zoomed in version of the link. I'm assuming this is intended to allow me to...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
I tried Windows 8 of my desktop from my tablet using Splashtop Streamer. I couldn't get the touch-swipe to work, I'm only able to move the cursor. Is there a checkbox I'm supposed to check to get touch to work from a remote tablet?
When I play a game that changes my resolution and then leave the game, the Start interface is still at the games resolution. I have manually changed the resolutions to see if it would changed back but it is still stuck. The only way that I've found to change it back is to log off then back on. ...
Read more at: Microsoft: “Metro” out, “Windows 8-style UI” in, amid rumors of a trademark dispute | Ars Technica
To all those who keep on spouting the talking point that "touch" is the future of computing... In fact is clearly is NOT. At least for the next half century is isn't. As far as we can tell NOTHING is more efficient than the traditional keyboard and mouse for entering data, it is indisputable. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook