Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only

  1. #31


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    No context menu? Really? What do you suppose happens when your right click within an app? Its command bar appears providing items that you don't see and can act on, much of which is the context menu. But that's not enough evidence. Especially since one of the guidelines of metro app design touted by Microsoft is to make the app workable with both touch and mouse.
    app bar != context menu. There is a reason the context menu comes up near the mouse pointer.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I am guessing, you don't like Windows 8. I do not have a touch computer. Therefore it HAS NOTHING to do with touch. No touch. Can you back up that phrase "they are substitutes?" It is a shared concept and implementation of functionality. That is why Windows 8 is so amazing. The code must be astoundingly complex. It is almost unimaginable that such flexibility and utility can be made to function effortlessly with logical ascii symbols (the code). No touch. Metro is not touch only.
    I've been using Win8 for quite a while on my desktop and tablet. It's immediately clear that the metro part of the UI is completely unsuitable for mouse use. A simple right click proves that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    Apart from the mind-blowingly unintuitive DP, I seem to have no
    problem running Win 8 with a mouse/keyboard exclusively.

    Even Metro.

    Dunno where people get the idea that it's touch-only, or can't be
    used with a mouse.....

    Yes, there are things I dislike about Win 8.

    Controllability isn't one of them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Apart from the mind-blowingly unintuitive DP, I seem to have no problem running Win 8 with a mouse/keyboard exclusively. Even Metro. Dunno where people get the idea that it's touch-only, or can't be used with a mouse..... Yes, there are things I dislike about Win 8. Controllability isn't one of them.
    Metro CAN be used with a mouse, but it's obviously a second class, barely working experience. Good UX for touch and mouse is not the same.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    I've been using Win8 for quite a while on my desktop and tablet. It's immediately clear that the metro part of the UI is completely unsuitable for mouse use. A simple right click proves that.
    So have I and I find that the mouse works well in Metro and sometimes even better than Touch for certain actions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    I've been using Win8 for quite a while on my desktop and tablet. It's immediately clear that the metro part of the UI is completely unsuitable for mouse use. A simple right click proves that.
    So have I and I find that the mouse works well in Metro and sometimes even better than Touch for certain actions.
    When does it work better? Mouse in metro is like using your cursor as a single touch point. Always worse.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    When does it work better? Mouse in metro is like using your cursor as a single touch point. Always worse.
    For one manipulating the tiles is easier with a mouse than touch, you just right click to access your options or if you want to move them just drag them around. With touch you need to gesture to activate them for movement or if you want to access their options, it should have been one touch to access and two finger touch to activate for move or options. Using IE Metro is easier with a mouse also, closing an App is easier and quicker than using touch, just grab the App from the top and drag down unlike touch that doesn't even have the same option.

    Clearly we don't have "Uncontestable Proof that Metro is touch only".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    When does it work better? Mouse in metro is like using your cursor as a single touch point. Always worse.
    ... closing an App is easier and quicker than using touch, just grab the App from the top and drag down unlike touch that doesn't even have the same option.
    That's how you close apps in touch. Drag down from the top. Metro is designed SOLELY for touch. Mouse compatibility is added at a minimum level out of necessity.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    Metro is designed SOLELY for touch.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only
Related Threads
Hey guys! I recently switched over to a dell XPS15 Early 2014 and it's fantastic. I'm just having one issue with the touch screen and chrome. When I "click" on small links using the touch screen, chrome will show a zoomed in version of the link. I'm assuming this is intended to allow me to...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
I tried Windows 8 of my desktop from my tablet using Splashtop Streamer. I couldn't get the touch-swipe to work, I'm only able to move the cursor. Is there a checkbox I'm supposed to check to get touch to work from a remote tablet?
When I play a game that changes my resolution and then leave the game, the Start interface is still at the games resolution. I have manually changed the resolutions to see if it would changed back but it is still stuck. The only way that I've found to change it back is to log off then back on. ...
Read more at: Microsoft: “Metro” out, “Windows 8-style UI” in, amid rumors of a trademark dispute | Ars Technica
To all those who keep on spouting the talking point that "touch" is the future of computing... In fact is clearly is NOT. At least for the next half century is isn't. As far as we can tell NOTHING is more efficient than the traditional keyboard and mouse for entering data, it is indisputable. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook