Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only

  1. #11


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    To a new visitor:
    (blah...)
    what?
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    No argument from me. Just stating fact. I asked you to explain your OP more clearly. You answered. Fact -> The context menu still remains even though it's a little farther away. Depending on where one right clicks on the Start Screen, we now have to move the cursor a little more distance. Is that really a big deal compared to all of the other world problems?
    Yes, in fact, it is. Isn't the amount of mouse movement needed one of the most important aspects of UX design? How else do you measure UI useability if not by the amount of action required to get something done.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    I feel it's no big deal myself. I think it's a good compromise between touch and mouse. It doesn't eliminate the context menu as you claimed originally.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Curious: What is your point of view on the "start screen is not the desktop"?
    Do you believe the "start screen is the desktop"?
    I am guessing you do not think the desktop is an app...or a separate UI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    Isn't the amount of mouse movement needed one of the most important aspects of UX design? How else do you measure UI useability if not by the amount of action required to get something done.
    Agreed, it is just a little, may be, negligible extra mouse movement, but that certainly doesn't mean:
    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    Metro is touch only, sucks with the mouse
    And what has made you conclude that:
    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    and good productivity apps will never be written in metro style.
    This statement of yours has absolutely no relation with any of your previous lines.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Do you think > the start screen is the desktop ?
    Does anyone in this forum think > the start screen is the desktop ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Do you think > the start screen is the desktop ?
    Does anyone in this forum think > the start screen is the desktop ?
    A big NO from me, but I don't have an "UNCONTESTABLE" proof on what the other members think My guess, NO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I feel it's no big deal myself. I think it's a good compromise between touch and mouse. It doesn't eliminate the context menu as you claimed originally.
    Well, that's a matter of the exact therm "context menu." It's really just hacking in basic mouse usability into a system that was designed with only touch in mind.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Do you think > the start screen is the desktop ?
    Does anyone in this forum think > the start screen is the desktop ?
    No. The Start Screen is exactly what they named it -> Start Screen. PPark's sig explains it best. Two UIs. The desktop is the same old desktop without the Start Menu, which is replaced by what? -> The Start Screen. The desktop now gets treated like an app so far as reference, just as you explained. Notice I stated "like an app", not "is an app" -> A separate UI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 248
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    And what has made you conclude that:
    Quote Originally Posted by phailyoor View Post
    and good productivity apps will never be written in metro style.
    This statement of yours has absolutely no relation with any of your previous lines.
    Alright. I guess my last statement was poorly written. What I meant was that Metro apps will never gain equivalent usability or productivity to their desktop equivalents, especially when using mouse. They will always be worse for mouse users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    It would appear that there are beta testers here that do not understand the design, implementation, and concept of the benefits and utility of Windows 8 and continue to compare and contrast it to legacy versions of Windows.

    Not you HG, or Arpan
    Last edited by mdmd; 02 Sep 2012 at 13:31. Reason: spelling
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only
Related Threads
Hey guys! I recently switched over to a dell XPS15 Early 2014 and it's fantastic. I'm just having one issue with the touch screen and chrome. When I "click" on small links using the touch screen, chrome will show a zoomed in version of the link. I'm assuming this is intended to allow me to...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
I tried Windows 8 of my desktop from my tablet using Splashtop Streamer. I couldn't get the touch-swipe to work, I'm only able to move the cursor. Is there a checkbox I'm supposed to check to get touch to work from a remote tablet?
When I play a game that changes my resolution and then leave the game, the Start interface is still at the games resolution. I have manually changed the resolutions to see if it would changed back but it is still stuck. The only way that I've found to change it back is to log off then back on. ...
Read more at: Microsoft: “Metro” out, “Windows 8-style UI” in, amid rumors of a trademark dispute | Ars Technica
To all those who keep on spouting the talking point that "touch" is the future of computing... In fact is clearly is NOT. At least for the next half century is isn't. As far as we can tell NOTHING is more efficient than the traditional keyboard and mouse for entering data, it is indisputable. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook