Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Cnnfused about this articel at nbcnews

  1. #1


    New Jersey
    Posts : 114
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64

    Cnnfused about this articel at nbcnews


    Guys... go over here 8 worst Windows 8 annoyances and how to fix them - Gadgetbox on NBCNews.com

    Scroll down to "2. Switcher Groups All Desktop Apps Into Just One Thumbnail". Read where it says at the end of this, "Also, if you dock the desktop next to your primary app in the Metro UI, you'll see a list of tiles representing all of your open desktop apps."

    The picture does show multiple open desktop windows. I just can't figure out how they did this? What do they mean by docking the desktop? Could this have been in a Preview and not RTM????

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    If you open a Metro app, and also open the desktop. And then you right click on one of them in the upper left corner and say snap right or left, you will end up with the 1 metro app taking 75% of the screen and the desktop app taking say the other 25%. Now, you will see a tab for each item running on the desktop. So in my case, there is a tab for IE, a tab for Remote desktop, a tab for Chrome, a tab for Notepad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    New Jersey
    Posts : 114
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64


    I'm really confused now. I open up the Store app and then i use Win+X to select the Desktop. I only see Store in the upper left and if I snap it left or right Store takes up 25% of the screen on the left while my desktop has the remaining 75% to the right. Store has a grab button to extend it. There is no snap option for the desktop at all.

    Just when I thought I figured out W8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Drag your Store app so that it has 75% of the screen and your desktop gets the smaller 320px sliver. Now you should have what I am seeing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    New Jersey
    Posts : 114
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64


    Got it! It appears that you have to constantly drag the Modern App (or Metro if you prefer) to the left in order for your desktop apps to display as individual windows because opening the window get's rid of the tiles on the left side. Is this how it works?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Cnnfused about this articel at nbcnews
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook