Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Let's stop moaning

  1. #21


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    "You missed the whole point of my post."

    "So what does the title of your thread mean: "Lets stop moaning" Who are you implying is moaning, if not the Win8 disenchanted?"


    I wonder if you even read my post, other than the title. You seem to have missed my point somewhere along the line. The whole text was a comment on the constant ongoing discussion of the Metro Start menu. If, in your opinion, that encompasses the entire Windows 8 OS, so be it!
    In terms of dissension, W8 and Metro are synonymous.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @Dave,

    I understand you think we are going round in circles, or repeating the same points.

    The reason is simple. Those who do not like what MS have done with win8 , and do not like the direction they are headed , continue to say so. That is because if they do not, the posts would be buried in old threads and no longer seen.

    To stop saying so and just put up with it would be to turn over and take it in the butt.

    @Mystere,

    I understand your point, too.

    MS wants to monetarise their customers. They have chosen to do that by deliberately going against the feedback they received from a very substantial proportion of them.

    They also posted up an extraordinary Gaffe, blaming the customers for not liking what they are offering.

    Maybe they could do whatever they wanted previously - when there was no competeition ( not unless you had $1200 or more to buy a mac ).

    If they are now moving into a different market - where there is competition, perhaps they would be better thinking about product management.

    Whatever else you think of Apple - their product management over the last few years has made them what they are today.

    Apple do not deliberately go against substantial feedback- nor do they blame their customers.

    @Cokie

    LOL - you keep banging on as if try it enough and you will love it. That is like saying you don't like eating dog crap because you haven't eaten enough of it.

    I disagree with much of what you say - but I defend your right to say it.

    It also seems to me you have a very narrow view. That is ok - at least your posts, although misguided, are not rude or arrogant - they are usually enthusiatic, even humorous.

    There are a few on this forum who are rude and sarcastic, or showing off, some seem to need their choices validated by others and get upset if not. Unfortunately , they have a tendency to come from the like win8 camp. It is sad they suffer from insecurities, but I can't help them with that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You can argue till you turn blue in the face. I'm not arguing that what Microsoft believes is true. I'm just trying to tell you why they are acting the way they are. Every so often Microsoft "bets the farm" on something. This time it's touch, and they're going into it full bore.

    Like it or not, Microsoft controls the direction of their product. Not you, or me or anyone else. They dictate how it is built and what it does. If the market doesn't like it, they won't buy it. They learn their lesson.
    You missed my point. In my initial post I wasn't trying to argue or analyse M$ marketing strategies. I was defending the right of consumers to express their dissatisfaction with a company's product, without justifying or proving anything, but simply stating their preferences. And doing this via this forum, without risk of being labelled moaners or whingers.

    But off topic, the only reason M$ have controlled the way things are done is because they have held a monopoly on the bottom end of the PC market for many years. It didn't really matter if they made a mistake, it simply meant their profit was delayed until they rectified the mistake. But that situation is already being challenged by the entry of OSs like Android, etc. And that's precisely why M$ had to act with a pre-emptive strke.

    M$ constantly advertise that they lsiten to their cumstomers and value feedback. And that's what we're giving them. Over the years I've had several major run-ins with M$ Australia, and had a lot of communication with their head office in Sydney, both by phone and email exchange. On one occasion I complained that I had to Google to find out how to turn off auto play in optical drives for XP, because the switches in the properties for those drives didn't work. They wanted to charge me $50 to trouble shoot the problem, and said it was akin to asking a mechanic to analyse a car problem.

    I told them it was akin to asking where the switch is to turn off the fog lights in a car. Then when Vista came out there was a separate switch in Control Panel to do just that. I'm not claiming that was just due to my influence, but it made me feel they did listen.

    In the end though, nothing lasts forever. Even the mighty Roman Empire fell to a bunch of undisciplined barbarians! At least that's what the Romans thought they were. So maybe beware the Linux barbarian?
    Last edited by Mustang; 24 Aug 2012 at 12:45.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Shoot, even when Windows 7 came out, there were for a few months after release of people complaining about how the new "large and confusing" Taskbar was too cumbersome and preferred the classic Taskbar. Why pin things?



    And yet, those complaints went away and it's the fastest selling version of Windows to date....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    ^ Those complaints about Windows 7 were small fries compared to changes in Windows 8 though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58
    One of the most hated User interfaces at the time of release was Windows XP, with it's "Interface designed by Disney", Now look at it
    Looking at it, I would say that W8/Metro has been designed by Mickey Mouse himself! LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by mystere
    And Microsoft believes that the world is moving to a touch-based computing model. They believe that is where the demand will be.
    And that's why they must mess up big time with the Desktop PC? Makes no sens whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke
    even when Windows 7 came out, there were for a few months after release of people complaining about how the new "large and confusing" Taskbar was too cumbersome and preferred the classic Taskbar.
    Indeed, it's sad that Microsoft never understood and always discarded the complains many users are telling them and at each version they succeed in doing something confusing again. Then poeple get used to it after a few months. Until there is a new release and, here we go again, changes that makes thing more complicated. Not saying that there aren't any good changes, but there are always some more complicated and confusing things. At every version of Windows. W8 only dwarfs anything else in this respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by you
    And yet, those complaints went away and it's the fastest selling version of Windows to date
    I have been actively participating at the official MS' building W7 blog, and Steven Sinfosky has even replied 2 or 3 x to my comments and apparently read and replied often to others. But all we wrote fell on deaf ears, at least what he didn't want to listen. With W8 I gave up and went to unofficial forums to express my opinon because at MS it's a waste of time. Then accidentaly, they implemented some of the performance demands we made in W8... because they were forced to it if they wanted to install windows on less powerful tablets. That tells volume on how stupid and smug they are. And yes, I spend time writing all this not to bash poeple or products but because I deem necessary to voice your concern when something is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by you
    the classic Taskbar
    I think poeple who love Metro Start Screen does so because it's incredibly classic, so is the new logo and new chrome (or absence of it). Poeple like things which are simple and classic and that's why some may like Metro. I do not for the reasons already written multiple times, but I do like the classic, simple and easy W98 interface. My dream was to have W7 with the W98 concept, but w8 is more W7 with Commodore64 concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by daech
    It seems to me, on observation, that 90% of the comments, in this forum, when discussing the Metro screen, seem to lead into an argument, which leans towards comparison, of the two.
    I'm not a moaning, whining, bashing professional, but we must admit that Metro is a monumental mistake... which could be solved by applying the very minor changes everybody is talking about. And it's infuriating to see that Microsoft doesn't want to do it for obscure reasons (or because they are just goofs).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    ^ Those complaints about Windows 7 were small fries compared to changes in Windows 8 though.
    People have short memories.

    Windows XP was universally LOATHED when it first appeared -- now it's about to go into well overdue retirement people are saying How great an OS it was and Ms should have stuck to that design.

    Things change -- you either go with the flow or stick with the old stuff -- if you don't like the new stuff and can manage with older Os'es and software -- stay with it.

    People have Cars these days -- but that still doesn't stop literally 100'000's of people enjoying some time riding horses too -- even some of the city centre breweries are re-introducing horses for local beer deliveries -- cheap, environmentally friendly, and horses can make "more horses" -- cars haven't quite yet discovered this trick yet.

    So if you like XP / Win 7 stick with it -- unless you are an inveterate gamer I'll bet for most people just surfing the net or casually accessing email Windows 2000 would probably be more than sufficient for their needs (and it doesn't require activation either).

    cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    ^ Those complaints about Windows 7 were small fries compared to changes in Windows 8 though.
    People have short memories.

    Windows XP was universally LOATHED when it first appeared -- now it's about to go into well overdue retirement people are saying How great an OS it was and Ms should have stuck to that design.

    Things change -- you either go with the flow or stick with the old stuff -- if you don't like the new stuff and can manage with older Os'es and software -- stay with it.

    People have Cars these days -- but that still doesn't stop literally 100'000's of people enjoying some time riding horses too -- even some of the city centre breweries are re-introducing horses for local beer deliveries -- cheap, environmentally friendly, and horses can make "more horses" -- cars haven't quite yet discovered this trick yet.

    So if you like XP / Win 7 stick with it -- unless you are an inveterate gamer I'll bet for most people just surfing the net or casually accessing email Windows 2000 would probably be more than sufficient for their needs (and it doesn't require activation either)..

    cheers
    jimbo

    I said Windows 7, not XP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    XP was not universally loathed at all! Not even close. Of if that's the overblown way you want to describe it, then Win 8 will be met with murderous rage. :/

    XP had a some people on edge because on the NT side they weren't sure they wanted consumer bits in destabilizing it and on the consumer side there might be a few consumer devices that didn't have NT drivers (But that was pretty small, no worse than the XP to Vista driver issues (which in today's society were blown way out of proportion)

    However when it came out and satisfied both camps universally, it was hailed as the second coming and everyone was thankful to not have two completely separate lines of windows OSes to buy and code for.

    Microsoft has gone in full reverse with Win 8. It IS now two completely seperate oses in one that users and coders now need to chose between for everything they do, buy or make. Win 8 has massively complicated things, split windows, users and developers right down the middle.

    This... is nothing like then...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    ^ Those complaints about Windows 7 were small fries compared to changes in Windows 8 though.
    People have short memories.

    Windows XP was universally LOATHED when it first appeared -- now it's about to go into well overdue retirement people are saying How great an OS it was and Ms should have stuck to that design.

    Things change -- you either go with the flow or stick with the old stuff -- if you don't like the new stuff and can manage with older Os'es and software -- stay with it.

    People have Cars these days -- but that still doesn't stop literally 100'000's of people enjoying some time riding horses too -- even some of the city centre breweries are re-introducing horses for local beer deliveries -- cheap, environmentally friendly, and horses can make "more horses" -- cars haven't quite yet discovered this trick yet.

    So if you like XP / Win 7 stick with it -- unless you are an inveterate gamer I'll bet for most people just surfing the net or casually accessing email Windows 2000 would probably be more than sufficient for their needs (and it doesn't require activation either)..

    cheers
    jimbo

    I said Windows 7, not XP.
    Hi there
    agreed but the point was that a lot of people will find any change an irritation.
    W7 was a bit special in the sense it was replacing (IMO) a much maligned OS -- VISTA -- and that OS really was a victim of being released way before typical hardware was ready for it.

    W7 received a decent press from the start - but remember it's taken nearly 3 years after introduction to even begin to make inroads into the vast numbers of XP installations still remaining -- and is only just beginning to be rolled out in large enterprises too.

    W7 can be considered as a special case -- but in general Ms received mega amounts of complaints about each new release of Windows anyway.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Let's stop moaning
Related Threads
One Stop Run in Customization
I thought this would be better fit under customization: I'm finally starting to learn to use PowerShell(PowerHell for some) after all these years of just using command prompt. I decided it was time because I've been learning/using BASH(last year and a half) in Ubuntu and it can be faster and...
How to Stop Win 8.1 from Installing in Installation & Setup
I have Win 8 Pro. Somehow that insidious offer to upgrade to 8.1 was activated by accident. I do not want 8.1. 8.1 has downloaded and is waiting for me to restart my computer to finish the install. I have kept my computer running for 2 days i.e. not shut it down in hopes that I can find a way to...
How to stop annoying pop ups in Browsers & Mail
About to throw windows 8.1 out of the window, annoying pop ups
I've made some configuration error but I can't remember what. I have a SD card with recovery drive on it which has been sat in my card reader for ever. Yesterday (I'm not sure if this is related) I was trying to make a Windows to go drive using 8.1 Enterprise Preview in a VirtualBox VM. This was...
Solved USB 2.0 stop working need help in Drivers & Hardware
Hi i have problem with USB 2.0 the porblem first begin with app called (zadig.exe) under options i click List all devices I think by mistake i change of the drives after that the USB 2.0 stop working I have USB 3.0 and its fine the USB 2.0 can charge my phone and the mouse can work in...
fan wont stop in General Support
Hi, we had a couple of black outs the other night and since then my laptop wont stop making this noise, not sure what it is but sounds like a fan, usually only hear it when I have a lot of programs running but now it's doing it with no programs running. In the task manager it says 35-40% CPU...
Solved How To Stop Sharing in Network & Sharing
I have two hard drives connected to my computer. C drive is my OS E is where I want to put downloads, etc. For some reason, the E drive mirrors much of what I have under my personal files on the C drive, as if it's being shared. If I delete it from the E drive, it will delete it from my C drive. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook