Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 really isn't that bad

  1. #91


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Looks grey to me too.

    Suppose the idea is not to draw focus from the window you are currently using.

    The idea is not a bad one - it just looks grim.
    I guess it might look "fresh" to someone < 30 years old that never used anything older than XP

    Which might explain the design decision, there may not be anyone older than that working on Windows up there...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    OK--I'll admit it, I'm starting to like it and maybe I'llupgrade. Not sure yet, but I might. There is one thing that ticks me off. WhenI hover my mouse pointer in one of the corners, it's supposed to bring up theMetro or whatever it's called; or maybe it's called the Charm. But what I don'tlike is the fact that it doesn't always work the first time. Sometimes I haveto keep moving it around to bring it up. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Hasanyone else run into that and know of a way to make it more consistent?
    It is called the Charms bar, the right side bar is.

    I guess to help out a bit, move the mouse pointer to a corner and just move it down or up right away depending on what corner you on. Or, just move the pointer to the middle part of the side, you can hit Start.

    For me, I think it's MUCH easier to change the pointer speed to Fast so that whole gesture is like that (snap).
    I changed the setting to FAST and it does work better. I found out something else and that is if you move the mouse pointer fast it seems to work better. I believe what I was doing wrong was to move it too slow. Since I couldn't bring it up, I would be careful and move it very slow. So I guess moving it faster works better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    I changed the setting to FAST and it does work better. I found out something else and that is if you move the mouse pointer fast it seems to work better. I believe what I was doing wrong was to move it too slow. Since I couldn't bring it up, I would be careful and move it very slow. So I guess moving it faster works better.
    I use the default mouse speed and an older laptop and it works slow or fast provided the gesture is correct. Mouse to top corners and drag down or mouse to bottom corners and drag up but it has to be continuous.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Metro Tile Overload?


    A few months after W8 has actually been released, it will be interesting to see what ordinary users Metro screens look like.

    I'm expecting that a lot of them will have dozens of "Live Tiles" running adverts 24/7.

    It will probably be like toolbars in IE6.

    Click image for larger version

    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    I guess it might look "fresh" to someone < 30 years old that never used anything older than XP

    Which might explain the design decision, there may not be anyone older than that working on Windows up there...
    Just like a lot of other businesses, the smart people have all been purged and replaced with know-nothings just out of university (to save money on wages).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    I'm expecting that a lot of them will have dozens of "Live Tiles" running adverts 24/7.
    FYI...Live Tiles don't run adverts at all, the purpose of a Live Tile is to display live information not adverts.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And what grey? It's all white to me.
    If you have 6 desktop programs open 1 of them will have the white or colored border and 5 will be Windows 2000 era grey titles and borders
    Hmmm, it must be my monitor or the window color hack I have going, but the only grey I noticeably see is the close button.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Adverts on live tiles, you're serious right?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Adverts on live tiles, you're serious right?
    Why NOT? Think about it from a business POV, they pay Microsoft a monthly fee, and get their products seen by millions of people worldwide. Pretty smart idea. Cable & Satellite TV providers do it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke
    Adverts on live tiles, you're serious right?
    Yes, of course! Why do you think Microsoft (aka M$) is forcing the Start Screen to pop up everytime you boot W8? Does the Start Menu pops up when you boot W7? From all the snapshots I'v seen one forth of the tiles are adds already. Another forth are irrelevant tabloid headlines. I'm sure hackers are working on ways to put adds on your Start Screen as we speak. Bigger fishes negotiate with M$ directly. Metro will unfold an advert bonanza. It's the perfect platform for spamming!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke
    Adverts on live tiles, you're serious right?
    Yes, of course! Why do you think Microsoft (aka M$) is forcing the Start Screen to pop up everytime you boot W8? Does the Start Menu pops up when you boot W7? From all the snapshots I'v seen one forth of the tiles are adds already. Another forth are irrelevant tabloid headlines. I'm sure hackers are working on ways to put adds on your Start Screen as we speak. Bigger fishes negotiate with M$ directly. Metro will unfold an advert bonanza. It's the perfect platform for spamming!
    Good then that we can turn live tiles off
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Windows 8 really isn't that bad
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook