Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why Windows 8 isn't the monster hybrid some tout it as...

  1. #1


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    Why Windows 8 isn't the monster hybrid some tout it as...


    A Desktop and touch interface. OK, the arguments are there that touch and Desktop DO NOT GO TOGETHER. There's the other argument that Windows 8 is covering too much ground and will loose too many users as it doesn't know what it is. A tablet and a Windows Desktop based operating system do not mix.

    I beg to differ.

    Now, I was pondering this and I thought of probably the BEST way to explain Windows 8: the iphone. Yes, the iphone. Before said device was released among the masses of consumers, the phone that people used were either flip phones or some iteration of slide or flip or even a simple candy bar shaped phone attached to a cord. Some years before that, a cell phone was what a phone is, you call people with it. You didn't send instant text messages, you didn't take pictures, you didn't listen to music, you didn't watch video, you didn't edit pictures, you didn't go on the internet, you didn't shop with it, you didn't make lists with it, you didn't take idiotic "artistic" pictures of food at an angle and instagram it and post it to facebook, you didn't facebook, you didn't twitter, you didn't IM, you didn't do social networking, you didn't use it as a flashlight, you didn't use it as a mirror, you didn't use it to check the weather, you didn't use it to look like a dolt and ask your phone if it's raining outside when you can clearly see from your window it is clearly raining outside, you didn't use it to check stocks, you didn't overclock the processor, you didn't dual boot operating systems, you didn't use it as a GPS, and most of all, you didn't use it to install apps to make up for your phone's inabilities. You didn't do much with them, just calling.

    Moving on past the year 2000 , phones became flipable. Then, an itty bitty megapixel camera came onto them. And just before the iphone, music and video were able to be played on some higher end ones.

    Then came the iphone. Say what you want about it (overhyped, featureless, bland, used by brainwashed masses), but it changed almost EVERYTHING about the way we use phones. Now, what you couldn't do before has become what EVERY phone, Windows Phone or android or iphone, has been trying to be: what it's not. A phone isn't a PC. It's not a desktop, laptop, tablet, whatever. A phone isn't used to run millions of different apps, run 9 apps at the same time, and it's not supposed to be used for everything that you would had used a PC before. You're not supposed to print from a phone, but now you can. You're not supposed to edit photos as you would on a PC on a phone. You just don't, but it's what literally a lot of people do everyday. It's the norm, it's the mainstream. Today, if you see someone with a flip phone, you assume they're on a pre-paid plan to save money or if you see a phone that doesn't have an app store; it must be used by your grandmother or someone's mother. Heck, the latest android "phones" have dual core processors, 1 gig of RAM and at least 32 gigs of storage and very soon to make some phones updatable to the next two versions of android; one in particular will have TWO gigs of RAM just to run apps and the OS. A bit later, we'll be seeing quad core phones and MORE RAM. I'll be personally waiting for a Nokia Lumia PureView phone simply for its camera that destroys the purpose of EVERY point-and-shoot digital camera and give some DSLR cameras a run for their money.

    So what we have in use today that the mainstream uses everyday is a Frankenstein hybrid, a toaster and a refrigerator: a phone and a PC.

    There you have it, and that's how the cookie crumbles.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I believe they can both exist on the same device quite successfully.

    MS has not implemented it as well as they might ( I am being generous ).

    It is their first attempt.

    There will be big changes in the next version.

    Next version won't be 3 yrs, probably more like a year - perhaps less if this thing bombs really badly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Palm Coast FLorida
    Posts : 370
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)


    The PC is on the way out, in about another 5 years or so it's going to be obsolete. Business will hang on to it longer than the average consumer but that's about it.

    People now days are on the go all the time, want something that is portable, mobile, small and can address all their needs. Social networking and HD media of all kinds is becoming more popular by the minute.

    Microsoft has realized this and is taking a step toward integrating their products into this consumer flow. Windows 8 is just the first step towards this, within two or 3 years when we have windows 9 or 10, I think it will be pretty slick.

    I guess the question is right now, how many people want to exit their comfort zone in Windows 7 to be a guinea pig if you will for Windows 8, some people will accept this and some will not.

    I have 3 desktops and a laptop in my home, I will certainly upgrade one of them to Windows 8, play around with it and if it passes that test, especially concerning networking and HD media streaming throughout the house then I will go full tilt Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Nice thread /post Cokie! You're an absolute genius! Right on, Bro!

    I can see myself in the future with two devices once all problems of multitasking on these devices are worked out. A pocket-sized pad that will replace the phone via Bluetooth and something like the Surface Pro. What else would one need?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 272
    windows 7


    Good post!

    I've definitely warmed to W8 the more I have been using it and I can see the direction Microsoft is trying to take it. It makes sense really because things are changing. I don't think it's going to be the end of desktop computers it's just integration across all the different devices and tying all the services up. I have an Android tablet and use Splashtop Streamer to assess my PC remotely and I am able to use W8 as a touch screen device on there and I have to say it's pretty nifty and it has definitely wetted my apatite for a W8 tablet. But we will see how it pans out first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Nice thread /post Cokie! You're an absolute genius! Right on, Bro!

    I can see myself in the future with two devices once all problems of multitasking on these devices are worked out. A pocket-sized pad that will replace the phone via Bluetooth and something like the Surface Pro. What else would one need?
    What else would one need? For me personally;
    • A device that I can add hard drives to, or substantial storage for videos, music, etc. Unsure yet on TB sized memory cards
    • A device that I can upgrade a video card on, so that as new video games come out that I want to play, that I have the ability to change my PC to keep up with the times.
    • A device that can support dual or triple monitors for more screen real estate. As I am often doing multiple things with my computer, having lots of screen real estate is important.
    • A full sized quality keyboard for many input tasks. I actually do invest money into my keyboards and they make a big difference when I am typing quite a lot.


    For me, I think I have the portability that I need. I have my smartphone for always on the go, I have my tablet for other portability purposes, and I have my laptop/pc for most everything else. I don't feel that I need portability when it comes to video encoding or DVD ripping or video game playing. I don't always need to carry that stuff around with me.


    I think for many people though, they use computers and technology a lot different than I do. They don't really need computers per se, they just need email, facebook, twitter and the web. For them, a tablet or smartphone is ideal.

    And it's smart of Microsoft to try to scoop up this segment of the market and not avoid it. As usual, they are late to the game when it comes to new technology. Everybody else (mostly Apple) came to this tablet market and have established significant market dominance. Now, Microsoft is scrambling to try to create their own system as they clearly see the trend that more tablets are being sold each year than PC's. Since their phone system didn't take off at all, they are now going to use their established dominance on the desktop to try to force the issue on people. Time will tell if it's successful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Ok, Parks. I hear you. Different needs for different users. What if in the future we, lets say, e.a. -> take a device like the Surface Pro if equipped with enough USB ports to hook up all the peripherals one would like when one gets home or office? Sounds nutty, but possible. Of course they would have to run at low wattage, unless they had there own power source.

    BTW, the large cards will come. In fact, sooner or later we will be buying flics, music albums, software, etc. on cards or downloading onto them. The disk will be a thing of the past. We'll throw cards around just as we did calculators years ago.

    So far as changing guts, that is a problem, but not impossible.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    When a tablet can support a lot of screen real estate and hi-res graphics for games then I'll take it seriously.

    I run 3 24" wide-screen monitors (Win7 x64) and about 1 TB of local storage on my desktop at the office and I love it. I have a 19" wide screen monitor and 2 GB graphics card on my home machine (along with two external 1 TB hard drives). It's going to take a heck of a tablet to match either of those.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    The PC is on the way out, in about another 5 years or so it's going to be obsolete. Business will hang on to it longer than the average consumer but that's about it.

    People now days are on the go all the time, want something that is portable, mobile, small and can address all their needs. Social networking and HD media of all kinds is becoming more popular by the minute.

    Microsoft has realized this and is taking a step toward integrating their products into this consumer flow. Windows 8 is just the first step towards this, within two or 3 years when we have windows 9 or 10, I think it will be pretty slick.

    I guess the question is right now, how many people want to exit their comfort zone in Windows 7 to be a guinea pig if you will for Windows 8, some people will accept this and some will not.

    I have 3 desktops and a laptop in my home, I will certainly upgrade one of them to Windows 8, play around with it and if it passes that test, especially concerning networking and HD media streaming throughout the house then I will go full tilt Windows 8

    5 years, eh?

    I sincerely doubt that.

    The PC is not dead, and is not dying.

    It's simply matured. Most who want one already have one. And most don't feel the need to buy
    a new one every other week, just because the case-colour has changed. They buy on need, not
    hype or 'fashion'.

    So the proles have been suckered into thinking smartphones and tablets are the 'future'.

    They're not. They are an accessory to a proper PC, not a substitute. And they are
    also designed to be a constant slow-leak of your wallet, another good reason for not
    wanting one.

    And for those who like to use their machines to create content, rather than blindly suck
    dubious pay-per-view content or hang about on Farce-book, they will always remain so.

    I'd rather a useful tool than a toy or a fashion-accessory, any day. Tablets simply don't cut it.

    The PC still rules, and will for many years. Certainly for 'serious' users and hardcore gamers.
    Last edited by Kat; 14 Aug 2012 at 14:11.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    The PC is on the way out, in about another 5 years or so it's going to be obsolete. Business will hang on to it longer than the average consumer but that's about it.

    People now days are on the go all the time, want something that is portable, mobile, small and can address all their needs. Social networking and HD media of all kinds is becoming more popular by the minute.

    Microsoft has realized this and is taking a step toward integrating their products into this consumer flow. Windows 8 is just the first step towards this, within two or 3 years when we have windows 9 or 10, I think it will be pretty slick.

    I guess the question is right now, how many people want to exit their comfort zone in Windows 7 to be a guinea pig if you will for Windows 8, some people will accept this and some will not.

    I have 3 desktops and a laptop in my home, I will certainly upgrade one of them to Windows 8, play around with it and if it passes that test, especially concerning networking and HD media streaming throughout the house then I will go full tilt Windows 8

    5 years, eh?

    I sincerely doubt that.

    The PC is not dead, and is not dying.

    It's simply matured. Most who want one already have one. And most don't feel the need to buy
    a new one every other week, just because the case-colour has changed. They buy on need, not
    hype or 'fashion'.

    So the proles have been suckered into thinking smartphones and tablets are the 'future'.

    They're not. They are an accessory to a proper PC, not a substitute. And they are
    also designed to be a constant slow-leak of your wallet, another good reason for not
    wanting one.

    And for those who like to use their machines to create content, rather than blindly suck
    dubious pay-per-view content or hang about on Farce-book, they will always remain so.

    I'd rather a useful tool than a toy or a fashion-accessory, any day. Tablets simply don't cut it.

    The PC still rules, and will for many years. Certainly for 'serious' users and hardcore gamers.
    Thanks Kat. You are spot on. And I think anyone that actually has a wide view of the situation knows that is dead on.

    I'm SO tired of trying to knock some sense into the more narrow views here sometimes, I just get too flabbergasted by some of the er, downright ignorant threads and replies about how a phone and a tablet are all anyone will ever need in the future. I read this post and the first few replies and my eyes almost rolled out of my head at the laser beam narrowness of the thought process going on. I mean not even 20 years from now will that be true. 50? well who knows. But it's nothing worth banking on today.

    And even if the likes of Apple and Microsoft deem it so, it is still not so, and the entire professional community will let them know it in short order...

    I am a gadget freak, a consumer AND a professional computer user at work and at home and I have a 360 degree vision of the universe and *I* say that the world as a whole cannot even /begin/ to do without a desktop computer and an desktop OS and everything that that currently entails in, for example, Windows 7. Individual, casual, low requirement users, sure. Everyone? Not even close!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Why Windows 8 isn't the monster hybrid some tout it as...
Related Threads
I recently installed windows 8.1 and there is a problem with the windows Fast Start up (hybrid boot) feature as sometimes it works and windows starts very fast and sometimes it doesn't starts fast but just take sometime to start as if I started from a cold boot. I tried everything from inside...
Monster-MicroSD in Chillout Room
Wouldn't mind having one, (or two), of these for devices! I'd hate to shell out $200 and find out my device doesn't support it though! :D 38481 This MicroSD Card Packs Massive Capacity into a Minute Form Factor
Lenovo drops Yoga 11 hybrid with Windows RT from online sales - Computerworld
How to Create a "Hybrid Shut Down" Shortcut in Windows 8 and 8.1 Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a new feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows 8 does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method...
Windows 8 Hybrid Boot in Windows 8 News
Microsoft has added a new feature called Hybrid Boot to current builds of the operating system which appears to be active by default. Hybrid Boot has been designed to reduce startup times after shutting down the computer. For that, the shut down has been turned into a hibernation like feature to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook