Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Metro Lovers -- Please tell me how to organise tiles for THESE

  1. #21


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Jimbo, I get the impression that you are asking how will the average user deal with Windows 8 if they had to use it like YOU do. The average user isn't going to be installing applications like CS5 suite with million icons, Office will be one of the few applications that will have more than normal amount of icons and even then most average users don't use much past Word and Excel. Average users seem to like saving to their desktop and have application shortcuts there too because it's easier to find, I highly doubt they care about a hierarchy structure to peruse through. Another thing is that with Windows 8 there will be a transition period, I have no doubt that eventually installers for Windows applications will ask if you want to pin icons to the Start Screen like it asks now for the desktop. As a power user I understand what you are saying, Metro is too limiting but for an average user you are over complicating the issue.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Funny enough, I generally consider myself a power user, but my list of installed programs is usually pretty small. Absolutely only what I need, all other testing in a VM. But when I visit the average joe, they seem to have tons and tons of applications installed. They might not be of the gigantic variety such as the entire Adobe suite, but it's a lot of installed garbage. Their start screens should look awesome.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    I agree with the essence of the two previous posters. One of my sons, as an example, has several rows of shortcut icons on his desktop, Id guess probably something around 40. 90% of his computer time is spent playing on line games!
    I have ten shortcuts in regular use. As said before, all the remainder are available with a click, in the "All Apps"
    But, Rob, for interest, what particular feature do you find "limiting" in Metro, for a Power user or any other?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    But when I visit the average joe, they seem to have tons and tons of applications installed. They might not be of the gigantic variety such as the entire Adobe suite, but it's a lot of installed garbage. Their start screens should look awesome.
    This is so true. My desktop has the trashcan and My Computer and a nice picture for wallpaper and that's it. I go to my parents' house, my in-laws' house, and their screens looks like half the inventory of Newegg exploded all over it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    I don't think in the old Start menu that the hierarchy got there on its own. The software programers followed MS instructions on how to get their Start menu to work. Now that Window 8 RTM is out I would think the software vendors would tweak their Start Screen additions to give their customers a better Start Screen. Its up to the vendors to adapt to the new Modern UI (MS new name for Metro UI)

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    But, Rob, for interest, what particular feature do you find "limiting" in Metro, for a Power user or any other?
    Actually, I don't find it limiting myself, I just meant that I can see as a power user why Jimbo would find it to limiting based on his complaints. Personally I like Windows 8 and I have no issues with the way it has been designed and it actually works very well for my requirements. Professionally working in IT I need to do some more testing but at the moment chances are high that I will move to Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Good for you, Rob. I must be out of step with the masses. I am using the (previously called) Metro as my Start menu 100%. I do not regard it as a Desktop. In fact, with my method if use, the legacy desktop, which is, of course, still there, is merely an irritant which gets in the way when I close an App.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    But when I visit the average joe, they seem to have tons and tons of applications installed. They might not be of the gigantic variety such as the entire Adobe suite, but it's a lot of installed garbage. Their start screens should look awesome.
    This is so true. My desktop has the trashcan and My Computer and a nice picture for wallpaper and that's it. I go to my parents' house, my in-laws' house, and their screens looks like half the inventory of Newegg exploded all over it.
    Same here!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I'm mildly confused jimbo. I know you don't use the Start Screen, so I'm guessing you REALLY don't know how to use it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    But when I visit the average joe, they seem to have tons and tons of applications installed. They might not be of the gigantic variety such as the entire Adobe suite, but it's a lot of installed garbage. Their start screens should look awesome.
    This is so true. My desktop has the trashcan and My Computer and a nice picture for wallpaper and that's it. I go to my parents' house, my in-laws' house, and their screens looks like half the inventory of Newegg exploded all over it.
    Same here!
    hi guys,

    for me only the trash can is on the desktop, no my computer, if only I could remove the trash can, but I can't.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Metro Lovers -- Please tell me how to organise tiles for THESE
Related Threads
Borders On Metro Tiles in General Support
The Tiles on my W8 Start Screen are suddenly showing annoying thick border when I move the cursor over them, so is the user name in the top right corner. How can I stop this? Please help!
How to make Metro tiles smaller? in Software and Apps
hi guys, maybe this was on the board already, do not know, if so, ignore the thread please. I found this interesting site where is stated that adjusting the tiles is possible in the Metro. Hack the Windows 8 Metro Start Screen Tiles, Icons, and Pictures | a Tech-Recipes Tutorial Do not...
Hi, How do you create more space between the tiles such as in the pic below? Also how do you do it so you can have just 1 row in a group such as below? http://i46.tinypic.com/vpu79l.png Thanks Matt
Hi, I have just upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 8 and the metro app tiles are not working correctly. For example, if I click on the mail tile and then go to charms, settings, I get no settings to add account. See screen capture. The dots just spin round and round, nothing...
Configuring METRO Tiles in Software and Apps
Hi All Silly question time, is there a way of setting options on the Metro style tiles to say use different providers for the default news and sports news etc or to govern where and what they point to?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook